Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can anyone who meditates reach jhana dhyana?

If a Christian or Hindu or Advaita who practices a long time their meditation could they reach jhana? Or do you have to use a certain method? Could they then just stumble on it? I would think other sects would try if it is so enjoyable.

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    My understanding is that most religions have different names for the same state(s) and that people of all beliefs can achieve it. So, other sects do indeed try it. I don't see how a belief system would limit it, unless people have it set in their minds that it flat out doesn't happen, that might inhibit their ability to do so. I think anyone can achieve anything that humans can achieve. Experiences in our realm aren't limited to people who only practice a certain religion, imo. Just like when we die, the same "options" are available to all people regardless of belief. I don't think Christians go to heaven but don't get reborn, I get reborn, atheists are dust in the wind, Wiccans go to Summerland and Muslims go to their land of virgins. Therefor I don't think experiences in meditation (or other practices) are limited to Buddhists. We just call them something different.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Jeffrey
    I would think other sects would try if it is so enjoyable?

A clear mind is difficult for any practitioner to unveil and the resulting enjoyment is just another footprint left behind on a renunciates path.
    lobster
  • Things are about context. Other templates (religions) make different assumptions about reality. They all, including Buddhism, assume they make no assumptions . . . ;)
    The interior life of mystics and meditators is similar the further they progress. In Buddhism you will hear platitudes of 'no progress to be made'. This is empty or profound dependent on the degree of understanding. As the templates become refined they merge. If merged prematurely you get New Age waffle. The important thing is to find a template that works for you and deploy . . . :om:
  • jlljll Veteran
    yes, but from personal experience, it is not easy
    to stumble on it, only rare cases.
    but i have definitely come across people
    who attained jhana without realising what they were
    experiencing.
    Jeffrey said:

If a Christian or Hindu or Advaita who practices a long time their meditation could they reach jhana? Or do you have to use a certain method? Could they then just stumble on it? I would think other sects would try if it is so enjoyable.

• I have often wondered if the first level of "meditation" is something we all do on a daily basis, I the sense that the suttas refer to it as a level of concentrated absorption akin to mixing soap powder in water to the point where not a grain of powder nor a drop of water is not in contact. I have been wondering if this level of absorption is not achieved when people drive in to work on their commute, or listen to music with the eyes closed, or read a book, any kind of mental activity which requires or necessitated single-pointed concentration? I have a sneaky suspicion (please, this is just my own wonderings, I'm neither enlightened nor a neuro-scientists) that our brains NEED that level of absorption and concentration to stop us all going mental and heading to the nearest church tower with a automatic weaponry and a murderous glint in our eyes...! All joking aside though, when we watch sports or a film, is that level of concentrated absorption (where the object-subject duality disappears) something approaching dhyana, albeit probably not dhyana itself ?

As we all know, dhyana can be achieved by staring at a matchbox. It is not the object thst is important so much as it is our capacity to allow the mind to settle down into the true nature of mind itself, what I believe Tibetans call "Rigpa" or "Absolute Nature of Consciousness". Crap jokes aside, when my friends ask me about "meditation" we toss about the idea that they probably already do it, but they just dont call it that. They call it "gazing at the sky" or "their job" (some people have the kinds or repetitive work that required single-pointed focus), or "me time". We all need me time :-)

I believe that the Buddha understood what we now call "neuro-plasticity" 2500 years ago, and set about laying out a systematic system of guided and controlled impermanence in order for us to further the higher evolution of the species. Im a firm believer that the 3 higher stages require more practice than the first, but not being sure how deep I myself have gone (not that there is anyone to go anywhere beyond that first stage, it all gets a bit vague...) Im reluctant to say too much.

I'm sure people will disagree with me here, I'm not saying im right, simply that I think our brains need focus and the effects of meditation on a very basic level to function healthily. Buddhism sets out a systematic path to achieve these stated which allow insight and change as a result. Its importnt though to never forget that the FIRST stage of the path is ethics, and that we need to focus primarily in leading lives that allow our minds to settle down naturally whether we do Zazen, yoga, tantric practice, mindfulness of breathing, metta bhavana or just responding to posts on a forum...

Love and metta to all my brothers and sisters xx
    lobsterJeffrey
  • Advaita is particularly interested in the Jhana samadhi of infinite consciousness.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

If a Christian or Hindu or Advaita who practices a long time their meditation could they reach jhana?

I'm sure they could, but they would call it something else.