Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

From romantic love to unconditional love through Dhamma

Hi!
The last 10 months my principal meditation aim is for to get over with my falling-in-love with an amazing girl; these love have brought me some very great times, and a lot of suffering too, because I'm married with other woman.

Searching the web I found a very interesting writing of Bhikkhu Nyanasobhano (Leonard Price), an American Buddhist monk, about the topic "A Buddhist View of Romantic Love": http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/price/bl124.html . I agree with all the statements included in this writing, but, as always, it's hard to do it in daily life!

Lately my suffer became beyond all bearing, even with daily meditation, because the girl have started to flirting with other boy in Facebook. When the pain was insufferable (yesterday) finally I realized that all my suffering must be wrong, for love, real love, cannot degenerate in suffering, so all this time I have lived an illusion. Moreover, I see now the problem is to merge pure love with mind and ego. I must split the love and the thoughts, for they belong to different worlds.

Now, I need to meditate in this line more than ever, for quickly get detachment, because we are classmates, and I see her every day. Anybody knows any technique specially indicated for to get detachment with this gorgeous girl? By the way, this girl is also Budhist, a smart student, and a very good person! (sigh)

Thanks, and excuse me for my very poor English!

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Metta Meditation/ Loving kindness toward everyone is the best remedy, Strongly meditating upon that induces a mind of great happiness because everyone we come into contact with we feel for them a strong wish to be happy and free from suffering.

The mind can only concentrate on one object at once and the best piece of advice I received was " For Happiness cherish others"
    jcuest
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    This is a great opportunity for your spiritual growth and you seem to be trying to do it the right way. Good luck!
  • Romantic love - "I love how you make me feel. I am in love with my illusion of who you are. If that illusion is shattered, I too am shattered. I don't actually love you as you really are."

Romantic love is actually selfish and is driven by craving for the good feelings that come with it. It is dependent on conditions and unreliable as a source of happiness.

Metta/Karuna - "All beings seek happiness and avoid suffering including me. I cannot blame them for what they do for like me, they too crave happiness. This is the nature of this world. I can choose to be happy for others or wallow in misery. I choose to be happy!"
    personJeffreyjcuestsukhita
  • Rodrigo said:

This is a great opportunity for your spiritual growth and you seem to be trying to do it the right way. Good luck!

Thanks Rodrigo, really I'm trying it, hope I achieve success!

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    pegembara said:

Romantic love - "I love how you make me feel. I am in love with my illusion of who you are. If that illusion is shattered, I too am shattered. I don't actually love you as you really are."

Romantic love is actually selfish and is driven by craving for the good feelings that come with it. It is dependent on conditions and unreliable as a source of happiness.

You're not very romantic. Romantic love for me was always doing things for the other person.

sukhita
  • caz said:

Metta Meditation/ Loving kindness toward everyone is the best remedy, Strongly meditating upon that induces a mind of great happiness because everyone we come into contact with we feel for them a strong wish to be happy and free from suffering.

The mind can only concentrate on one object at once and the best piece of advice I received was " For Happiness cherish others"

Thanks a lot caz! I have found this writing about the topic: Metta. The Philosophy and Practice of Universal Love by Acharya Buddharakkhita (1989). The Wheel Publication No. 365/366. Sri Lanka, Buddhist Publication Society (Available on-line at http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/bps/wheels/wheel365.html). I'll read it and tomorrow I'll start with Metta meditation!

caz
  • vinlyn said:

pegembara said:

Romantic love - "I love how you make me feel. I am in love with my illusion of who you are. If that illusion is shattered, I too am shattered. I don't actually love you as you really are."

You're not very romantic. Romantic love for me was always doing things for the other person.

Mmm... for me is:
    1) to want to stay with the loved person all the time, always want to see her, always want to share my time, my thoughts, with her,
    2) to do things for her, correct, and...
    3) the need to be important for her, to be beloved as well.

If 1) or 3) are missing, I begin to feel pain, for I miss her or/and I feel not loved; if 2) is missing then I'm feeling like I don't give she what she deserves.
    In my personal case, is the first point the main source of sorrow. The third point too, but partially, because I'm important for her but as a friend, not as a lover. The second is not a problem, I have done a lot of things for her, she used to say: you always help me a lot :)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

There is no easy getting over her, just like there is no getting over life. She just happens to be a part of life that gave you a sense of completion. Few things can match that.
    This worldly experience can mimic the spiritual experience but the difference ( as your posting title suggests) is all the worldly ones are dependant on conditions that change and will eventually cause more suffering.
    The worldly way of addressing this suffering is to look for distractions whereas the Buddhist path is to try to remain open to the full intensity of this experience. Most of us falter here and waffle back and forth between the worldly and the spiritual just looking for the aspirin.
    When you are able, full acceptance of the suffering of this attachment will be your spiritual path towards unconditioned love.
    Jeffreyjcuest
  • how said:

There is no easy getting over her, just like there is no getting over life. She just happens to be a part of life that gave you a sense of completion. Few things can match that.
    This worldly experience can mimic the spiritual experience but the difference ( as your posting title suggests) is all the worldly ones are dependant on conditions that change and will eventually cause more suffering.
    The worldly way of addressing this suffering is to look for distractions whereas the Buddhist path is to try to remain open to the full intensity of this experience. Most of us falter here and waffle back and forth between the worldly and the spiritual just looking for the aspirin.
    When you are able, full acceptance of the suffering of this attachment will be your spiritual path towards unconditioned love.

This description seems to me very exact! I'm realize now I'm searching for perfect love here on earth, and this girl seems to be perfect to me, but any worldly love can be perfect. So I waffle back and forth between the paradise on earth and the hell on earth. I'm not able to full accept the pain, it's too hard for me, actually nowadays I try don't see nor talk her, until I can get over my attachment. She don't understand why I act like these, and I'm sorry for that, but I can't proceed in any other way, for the moment.