Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does your daily practise entail?

NiwalenNiwalen Explorer
edited November 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I am curious to know what your daily/twice daily practise is, how long does it take, is it in a certain order, do you chant or meditate or both, do you have a shrine or use mala beads etc.

If this is too personal a question then I apologise I'm just really curious about different peoples approaches.

Thank you xx

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Gaden Lhagyema ( Hundreds of Deities of the Joyful land ) a special Guru Yoga of Tsongkhapa with Lamrim meditation and protector practice.

Vajrasattva ( Purification practice )
    Niwalenlobster
  • Niwalen said:

I am curious to know what your daily/twice daily practise is, how long does it take, is it in a certain order, do you chant or meditate or both, do you have a shrine or use mala beads etc.

If this is too personal a question then I apologise I'm just really curious about different peoples approaches.

Thank you xx

On first awakening I say the Motivation prayer and make a vow to myself I will try my best to live mindfully throughout the day.

Next is meditation which can be unifying practice or some form of shamatha usually 45 minutes. I have a small shrine with flowers, Padmasambava and a candle which I light for the duration of the sit.

I have a chime on my phone which rings hourly to remind me to stop and remain in awareness as long as I can manage which can vary wildly somedays. I use opportunities to remain present, doing playground duty at the school where I work, eating breakfast, cooking... if I'm doing something pleasurable like drawing I try be aware.

At night before I go to sleep I reflect on the day and note where I remained present, where I let negative thoughts creep in, where I showed compassion and dedicate any merit to the enlightenment of all beings.

Other things I do during the day are repeating the guru mantra (usually silently), really notice any negative thoughts and wish myself and others to be happy and well.

I listen to teachings on my phone and read dharma books when the opportunity arises.
    Niwalenkarastilobster
  • Yep, same as lamaramadingdong; everyday life is the practise. Meditation is just part of it. Spiritual readings 'n' things of that ilk are to help with my motivation to keep practising.
    lobsterlillymac61
  • lamaramadingdong has the right approach. My formal practice varies. Yesterday I timed my formal sitting, not something I normally do, thought it was about 20 mins, was 45 mins. Did 30 mins yoga and an hour of 'lama walking'; fast walking in local common whilst silent chanting. As a non-buddhist it has taken me a long time to learn the migtsema mantra so it is automatic, looking for a new mantra shortly . . . At the moment as soon as thoughts arise, I try and start to silently chant. Couple of days back I wrote a 'prayer wheel' mantra repeating program in BASIC. I am trying to set up a store of good karma for my next lifetime, which I don't believe in . . .
    lillymac61Niwalen
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I used to set a timer but I don't anymore. I just sit until I'm done. Sometimes it's 15 minutes. Average is more like 25-30, but sometimes I sit for an hour and don't have a clue whether it was an hour or 15 minutes until I look at the clock. I do it first thing in the morning. I love this time of year because its dark and it's completely silent (no birds, no cars, no nothing at 6am here in the winter). I meditate in shorter spurts through the day, sometimes just because and sometimes because I need to ground myself and take a time out, so to speak. I might say a mantra here and there, but only in my head, doing it alone aloud kind of weirds me out, and would probably scare my kids, lol.

I drive my kids around a lot, which means a lot of waiting, so I bring my kindle and read while I wait. Sometimes I meditate in the car while I wait, too. I still get lost in my routines sometimes but I am much more able to bring myself around to mindfulness than I was a year ago. I find myself reciting the refuge vows as my breather before I respond to a difficult situation, and that does help, too.

I do sit in front of a kind of altar when I meditate, but until very recently I didn't have one and just sat in the middle of the living room floor. Every Saturday morning I meet with my sangha for group meditation, discussion, and right now we are reading a book together that we also discuss. Occasionally we get together for other activities.
    lobsterlillymac61Niwalenpommesetoranges
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Niwalen said:

I am curious to know what your daily/twice daily practise is, how long does it take, is it in a certain order, do you chant or meditate or both, do you have a shrine or use mala beads etc........

I altar sit twice a day. Morning before work...30 mins.inside,
    and 40 mins at night, outside. I do my whole bells and whistles...
    well...candles, chants and flower arranging. :) Some stretching.
    Touching the earth. Setting all intentions.
    It is in order....I'm a creature of habit. I may meditate one
    or both times...depends on whats going on. I often find
    myself in deep reflection and insight before I know it, so...
    that varies, And I think it's important to keep that open fluid
    going...especially for me...so I can access what I need for that day.

Beads are my altar to go. My practice is to mantra through
    the strand twice each day. If by some chance, my beads are
    not on me....I can usually default to sets of threes pretty
    quickly. haha
    lobster
  • As and when i can i usually meditate once or twice for twenty mins each day before i meditate i usually say some mantras. i have a mini book of buddhist teachings and the dalai lams little book of wisdom type things i usually have in my work bag so i can pop into whenever i get five to do so. plus i try n be mindful most of the day and daft as it sounds jus makin sure im being a gd buddhist if u like lol

all the best
    Niwalenlobster
  • I do 30 minutes of meditation every morning with two other members from my tiny sangha. I also attend twice weekly sangha meditation in the early evening. These meetings involve sitting as well as walking. It ensures a minimum of 30 minutes meditation and up to 1.5 hours daily. Consistency is a must in my practice.

At the twice weekly sangha meetings, we cover the Heart Sutra and other Mahayana chants. Community is important so I make sure I do not miss the opportunity to sit in solidarity with others. I also make it a daily habit to read the Metta Sutta. Additional study whenever possible.

My practice primarily involves mindfulness and loving-kindness, both in and outside of formal meditation.

:)
    lobster
  • Niwalen said:

Thank you xx

My daily practice now is to do whatever I do well and happily too. That includes, chewing my food well because it is good for digestion. Loving my job too because that will provide my bread and butter.
    lobster
  • Yesterday I did mostly mantras (migtsema mostly) and 108 full prostrations. The prostrations were easy to pace. Great practice. Good physical stuff mixed with mantra and calling on amrita. I do vary my practice on the recommendation of Guru Rinpoche, who I am under the imaginal guidance of . . .
    Always have confidence and commitment in your practice. It builds. It changes you.
    :clap:
    Niwalenpommesetoranges
    lobster said:

Yesterday I did mostly mantras (migtsema mostly) and 108 full prostrations. The prostrations were easy to pace. Great practice. Good physical stuff mixed with mantra and calling on amrita. I do vary my practice on the recommendation of Guru Rinpoche, who I am under the imaginal guidance of . . .
    Always have confidence and commitment in your practice. It builds. It changes you.
    :clap:

Where do you get your Instructions from ?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Niwalen said:

I chant the refuges daily and do tranquillity-insight meditation. Also I try to practice mindfulness throughout the day, and not do naughty things.

federicacaz
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    My practise is the priority on trying to be present & open in this moment.
    lobster
    lobster said:

caz said:

Where do you get your Instructions from ?

Olli the Octopus and the back of a cereal package . . . :crazy:
    No seriously.
    lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I chant the refuges daily and do tranquillity-insight meditation. Also I try to practice mindfulness throughout the day, and not do naughty things.

This, basically.
    While I've been off-line and away from my Virtual Sangha (here), it's been a boon....

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Looks like this at the moment;

- Light oil lamps on both sides of the stone Buddha at 6.15 A.M.
    - Light incense.
    - Say: “May this light, may this scent, may the Dharma benefit all sentient beings.
    May they be healthy, may they be happy and may they attain Enlightenment soon.”
    - Do 40 minutes of zazen.
    - Have some muesli.
    - Walk to the train station at 7.10 A.M.
    - Read Dogen in the train,
    - Start working and drink too much coffee.
    lobsterpommesetorangesmaarten
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    It seems like most of us predominantly practice in the morning?

1. Strong cup of coffee
    2. 20 - 30 minutes sitting in mindfulness meditation at home
    3. 50 minute train commute to work (read dharma book or listen to dharma podcast)
    4. Remainder of the day practicing
    lobster
  • I don't think I could possibly meditate in the morning. Mornings are the work of the devil.
    lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I don't think I could possibly meditate in the morning. Mornings are the work of the devil.

:D

I peak at about 9am then slowly fade......
    DairyLama
  • Most days, I sit zazen for 40 minutes in the morning. Then I sit zazen for another 40 minutes in the evening along with chanting the Heart Sutra and the Four Bodhisatva
    Vows.

I do have an altar (of sorts) on the top of a bookcase with a picture of the Buddha, a candle and an incense bowl. I light incense and the candle for the duration of the sit.

I also wear a wrist mala, not so much for mantra but as a constant reminder that practice is endless....

lobster
  • GuiGui Veteran
    marbled sunrise
    pearly sky
    hungry kitten
    frost on leaf
    just keep saying, "Not two".
    lobster
  • I switched back to open eye Samatha meditation today and timed it again, just for fun. With a 10 minute chant at the end was just over an hour. I do find the breath takes about 20 minutes to settle. I find calm abiding or just sitting very easy. Probably not having any thoughts worth having is helpful . . . :)
    Feeling very constricted around the chest after too much betel nut, should not be taking that . . . it was a mix up at the shop, I asked for tulsi (holy basil) and got tulsi brand betal nut . . .
    So will have to work on a way of alleviating the feeling, some chi-kung helped but may have a session of chanting . . . :)
  • I generally do a short manjushri prayer, followed by 1 mala of the manjushri mantra and one mala of the mantras seed syllable. I'll sit from 15 to 30 minutes after the manjushri practice. Usually, I do mindfulness meditation in front of a manjushri image, but sometimes I'll do visualizations. After meditation, I dedicate the merit and try to be mindful throughout the day.
    cazlobster
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I normally do a chant then do various types of meditation such as Shamatha Metta, Death Medtion etc and read some ofr my eBook on Kadampa Buddhism.

I'm getting a shrine and mala for Christmas so soon I shall be able to extend my practice further
    maarten

I also wear a wrist mala, not so much for mantra but as a constant reminder that practice is endless....

Just curious, have you found this works? It isn't something I've ever tried.
  • Pedantic...

Yes, I have found it to be very helpful. There are times in my work day, especially, when I'm stressed out and/or tempted to throw away some of the precepts, I glance at the mala and remember the practice. Doesn't always mean that I still don't cheat at the precepts...but I tend to be a lot more mindful and often it DOES stop the behavior.
    edited December 2012

Pedantic...

Yes, I have found it to be very helpful. There are times in my work day, especially, when I'm stressed out and/or tempted to throw away some of the precepts, I glance at the mala and remember the practice.

Good to hear, I might try it myself. Though it would need to be discreet, I wouldn't want people thinking I was hippy or something...hee hee
  • involves sutra recitation and Buddha's name recitation.

Just curious, have you found this works? It isn't something I've ever tried.
    I could never fit a wrist Mala on I thought it took two people to strap it on !
    Niwalen
  • You's a body building behemoth caz?!!!
    Metallica said:

You's a body building behemoth caz?!!!

Far from it, I could never work the strap :)
  • Every week I have a general insight I practice with.

For instance this week has been impermanence.

So I've been both mindful of impermanence off and on the cushion.

And then paying attention to the effect of bring such attention. For instance there is a growing disinterest for things and more and more I can see subtle tensions and graspings, which are also seen with the lens of impermanence.

Once or twice I day I do Shitro practice, which is visualization and mantras.

Then at least one hour of studying.

And sometimes if the climate of conditions are right I practice metta and inclining the mind towards the positive.
    caz