Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Home Altars, Are They Branch Specific?

As the title says, are home altar designed in a branch specific way?

I want to build an altar at home and I'm not sure how to go about it.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Depends on the tradition, really. Some will have specific items depending on the tradition and practice, particularly in Vajrayana. In general, though, there's not really any requirements. One can have an altar as simple as a small Buddha to elaborate affairs with multiple statues, flowers, incense, pictures of spiritual teachers, offering bowls, etc. Mine, for example, consists of a Buddha statue I got for Christmas one year and a picture of Ajahn Mun I got from a temple I used to go to. Basically, just use whatever you find the most inspiring and that should be fine.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    An altar is just a teaching reminder for the observer.
    What would you like it to teach you?
    What is your Branch?
    Buddhist iconography is endless with each school representing what it holds most important in that symbology. Your the one that it has to sing to.
    vinlynlobsterVastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    My Tibetan Buddhist sangha wrote up a booklet describing the traditional features, but included in that book was that your inspiration is more important than having it exactly as the book said. The goal is to inspire your own practice.
  • FairyFellerFairyFeller Veteran
    edited November 2012
    My goal is simplicity and serenity. In my mind I just picture it as a simple statue of Buddha, a plant, a candle and an incense burner.

. . . some include the whole tree :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

My goal is simplicity and serenity. In my mind I just picture it as a simple statue of Buddha, a plant, a candle and an incense burner.

Sounds good to me. All those should be easily attainable, as well.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Simplicity and inspiration is what I go for, too. Mine is just a small corner in our home, on top of a wooden chest that my sister made in shop class, lol. It just has a doily made by my mother in law, a Buddha statue, my lucky bamboo plant and then I framed my refuge vow certificate that my teacher gave me and hung the Buddha necklace he gave us all on the frame and hung it on the wall. As many times as I try, I just cannot do incense, it's too strong for my allergies and makes me feel sick. I will probably add my pine candle to it when I bring out my holiday decorations tomorrow. For me, it's just a nice, simple area that has it's entire own energy compared to the business of our home.
  • I feel that for Christmas, I may not use just a Buddhist Branch but get a whole tree on my alter. There is a wishing tree tradition, also an indoor bonsai might be possible.
    I did once meet some celtic tantrikas who had acorns embroided on their meditation cushions. I often feel if you can not find a lama or teacher, it is worth learning to talk 'tree' but that is another story . . .
    You might not be able to get Buddha Nature embodied on an alter but nature always can find a placement . . . orchids . . . moss . . . fruit . . . something wonderful . . . :clap:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Not meaning to whiz on anyones parade but when looking around at the Buddhist iconography in my home, I realized that my real altar is actually my zafu on the floor.

Coincidentally probably one of the few altars that another meditater from long ago, would have permitted.
    lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I bet the Buddha did not use even a cushion. He was a bad ass.
    TheEccentricAnickarasti
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2012
    @lobster
    Warning..Uncomfortable disclosures below!

I already have the hair on my ankles and knees worn away on some pretty hairy legs from the Zaiza posture.

It's bad enough when the summer comes with shorts and the occasional question of why on earth I shave those parts my legs without including an ass wear facter of going cushionless as well.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I'm getting an altar for christmas, it will consist of A Buddha statue, laughing Buddha statue, mala beads, some subsitute for offering bowls, incense and an extract of a sutra or the four noble truths and/ or eight fold path written on card.
    lobster
  • I have a spot that I often sit on in my back woods. I think it's oak...
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Personaly, at the moment mine just has the Buddha on a lotus centered, two elephants, one on either side and each of these has a smiling Buddha beside them. They make a V formation.

It's simple but it makes me smile.
    BonsaiDoug
  • lobster said:

I bet the Buddha did not use even a cushion. He was a bad ass.

All that sitting without a cushion will have given him a bad ass.
    Vastmindlobster