Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it true the Dalai Lama was a slave owner before China invaded?

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
edited November 2012 in General Banter
I hasve read many posts on the internet claiming that Tibetans before The Chinese invaded were abused by the Dalai Lama, not only kept them as slaves but gave them horrific punishments if they tried to escape, I have even seen some pictures of it/

Is this true or just some propaganda? Please tell me this is not true.

Comments

• I haven't heard that, seems implausible to me. Source?
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

http://rense.com/general81/faeeof.htm

I have seen many other people post about that on the internet as well
  • I've done a lot of reading about Tibet, and I've read papers that pointed out before the Chinese invasion, Tibet was a feudal country and the well-off did own slaves, and the first thing China did was finally outlaw that sort of thing.

Some temples supposedly used slaves. I never once read where that extended to the central court or the Dalai Lama personally. But remember, he was only a boy when he fled. It's not like he actually ran anything or was capable of giving the country orders. His role was still fairly ceremonial and an entire class of administrative monks actually ran things.

Unfortunately, it's hard to know what's true and what's exagerated since both the government in exile and China have a vested interest in getting public opinion on their side. There's a poster here whose parents actually came from Tibet that might have more first hand info, but I forget his handle. Maybve he'll notice and post something.
  • I know more about politics than meditation and such so I'll jump in!

It's quite a mainstream idea. The issue has been covered by Penn and Teller, amongst others. Christopher Hitchens, alongside other noted atheists, would take side with the Chinese. It's now new, either.

There is an old Bertrand Russell quote in which he states, "The Buddha was amiable and enlightened; on his deathbed he laughed at his disciples for supposing that he was immortal. But the Buddhist priesthood --- as it exists, for example, in Tibet --- has been obscurantist, tyrannous, and cruel in the highest degree."

I guess it hinders on how you define slavery. A theocratic serfdom, which Tibet effectively was, is very much a society of slavery - as far as I'm concerned.

Here's more on the issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom_in_Tibet_controversy

(The fact that something is used as propaganda doesn't make it any less true, either. The Soviets used to highlight the American mistreatment of black citizens as part of their propaganda.)

• Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    As unlikely as it seems, its possible that the owning of slaves took place in Tibet, but keep this in mind...the Chinese control Tibet as of now and the use of propaganda to sway other nations opinions on the Tibetan people could help them retain control over the area. Heck its even possible some Tibetans would say anything to have more people on their side (as much as i don't want to think about it)

Even those that fall for a lie can help spread it even further

Do not believe everything you see or hear on the internet...i think there is a quote associated with the Buddha that would be good to -insert here- :P

What i have seen enough of are the horrific acts the Chinese have done to the Tibetan people and their country
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    What was the point in putting HHDL in full political power when he was only 15 if he had no power to make decisions and such? Was is solely because of his title and the hopes that perhaps he might be more successful in the peace talks before the '59 invasion? I read his autobiography and he talked a lot about his young age (15-16) and how much responsibility he had after being put into political power, and his talks with the various Chinese authorities to try to resolve the problems.
  • A lot of the founding fathers in America also owned slaves.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

I hasve read many posts on the internet claiming that Tibetans before The Chinese invaded were abused by the Dalai Lama, not only kept them as slaves but gave them horrific punishments if they tried to escape, I have even seen some pictures of it/

He probably did not personally have slaves.
  • karasti said:

What was the point in putting HHDL in full political power when he was only 15 if he had no power to make decisions and such? Was is solely because of his title and the hopes that perhaps he might be more successful in the peace talks before the '59 invasion? I read his autobiography and he talked a lot about his young age (15-16) and how much responsibility he had after being put into political power, and his talks with the various Chinese authorities to try to resolve the problems.

It sounds like the monks were desperate, I suppose. I guess in a time of impending disaster, they hoped the HHDL would perform a miracle. Or maybe the Chinese would go easy on the boy. Or maybe the Chinese demanded to discuss terms with the official ruler. Who knows?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Well, there are slaves.
    And then there is corvee labor.
    And then (as in historical Thailand) people could sell themselves into labor...pretty close to indentured servitude.

Which are we actually talking about here?
    ToshFlorian
  • Dalai Lama can keep slaves or break all the precepts he wants. That doesn't change Dharma. It shouldn't change you either.
    lobsterTheEccentricstavros388
  • Do not live in Lama lala land. The dharma is bigger than the genocide orchestrated by the Buddhist State of Sri Lanka, the Zen inspired samurai culture of WW2, drug peddling from temples in some cultures and so on.

Welcome to the real world of the kali yuga. :rarr:

Work on freeing slaves, supporting good teachings and promoting life enhancing projects.

:thumbup:
  • I hasve read many posts on the internet claiming that Tibetans before The Chinese invaded were abused by the Dalai Lama, not only kept them as slaves but gave them horrific punishments if they tried to escape, I have even seen some pictures of it/

It's true. The Potala palace and all monasteries owned huge tracts of land with serfs to work them and provide food and an income. The 14th Dalai Lama "inherited" this system. The Dalai Lama was interested in introducing reforms, but never got the chance. He's said from his place in Dharamsala that if the Chinese had just waited, reforms would have happened. I think the question of whether or not he would have been able to pull that off is debatable, but it's a moot point.

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    @jeffrey I strongly disagree with that too but I'm not American anywho
    And, @ Jeffrey, what has that got to do with the topic at hand. Slavery has been common in almost all parts of the world during man's history, and there is plenty of slavery today. You might want to read the Wikipedia article under slavery.
  • Dont think HHDL owned any slaves personally, only that the Tibetan Govt and culture of the day had this practice.

Dont blame the Chinese for propaganda, if anything, the Western Govts and their press are worse transgressors. Think WMD in Iraq.

The Chinese Govt of the day also killed a lot of Chinese so to speak, so theres no racial bias to it. Also remember Britain fought many wars with Tibet before the Chinese. The British Raj was on a mission to conquer the Indian sub-continent and South East Asia and anywhere else they could get their gunboats near.

It's true. The Potala palace and all monasteries owned huge tracts of land with serfs to work them and provide food and an income. The 14th Dalai Lama "inherited" this system. The Dalai Lama was interested in introducing reforms, but never got the chance. He's said from his place in Dharamsala that if the Chinese had just waited, reforms would have happened. I think the question of whether or not he would have been able to pull that off is debatable, but it's a moot point.

-Highly debatable, if only thingy!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The idea that the Dalai Lama was a slave owner is typical of Chinese government propaganda.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2012
    I guess I made too far a leap assuming my point would be understood; my apologies are offered to you.

My point that the founding fathers had slaves indicates that people may simply notquestion things. So the founding fathers are not entirely awful people despite having an awful practice going on. This could explain why the Da lai lama can have his good side and also the awful slavery of his mother nation.
    Okay, now I see where you are coming from.

I know what you mean about that. I used to live in Virginia, and one day I went down to one of the Civil War Battlefields in Fredericksburg, and one of the places I visited was one of the cemeteries. It happened to be a Union cemetery. Across the street and separate was a Confederate burial ground, and there was a family putting flowers on a grave. I had to stop and think that it must have been a very long distant relative since the war had ended 120 years before, but it also made me stop and think that slave owners were still good family people...except for one major aspect of their life...but that also I had to try to put myself in their place, in a culture where slavery was normal life. How they justified it, I still can't figure out, but we today cannot understand different times and/or different cultures. I think I became much more open-minded about cultural mores when I began traveling in SE Asia and saw such different lives being lived and thriving (or in many cases not thriving). But I sure learned a lot.
  • One of the best deconstructions I've found of China's "Tibet as land of slaves and serfs" myth was given by a Chinese analyst in March of 2009.

Unfortunately it hasn't been translated into English, that I have found, and has been deleted from many sites, but you can still read a version here.

His main point is that the evidence doesn't support the theory of Tibet as a socially unique culture - i.e. Tibet's social structure was no better, worse, odder, more magical, less magical, than any other culture at the time. He looks a lot at the economic activity of Tibet and the surrounding region pre-1949, and concludes that it cannot be accounted for by the "slavery and serfdom" the Chinese government claims. It can however be accounted for by the social structure one would expect, and which evidence supports, made up of salt traders, tea and medicine traders, farmers, nomads, etc.

He picks apart rather exhaustively the official government population figures for Tibet and shows some of the ways in which these numbers were Frankensteined over the years to serve propaganda needs on various issues in addition to the slaves and serfs bit.

High Peaks Pure Earth has translated some thought-provoking personal reflections by the Tibetan author Woeser on this issue:

http://highpeakspureearth.com/2011/replaying-the-film-serf-wont-brainwash-anyone-by-woeser/
  • There's an interesting master's thesis (in English) by William Monroe Coleman, Writing Tibetan History, which looks at the deconstruction, specifically, of Melvyn Goldstein's attempts to paint with the serfdom brush:

"Goldstein's narrative of serfdom, which is fundamentally jural in nature, is untenable in light of recent scholarship that reveals the flexibility of traditional Tibet's legal system, and that the theoretical underpinnings of this narrative, grounded in the classical western understanding of feudalism, collapse under the critical eye of deconstructive analysis."
  • I suppose the question isn't whether Dalai Lama is a slave owner or not? The question is, whether Tibetan culture under "their own unique system of Buddhist theocracy" is supporting feudalism and slavery?

I used to doubt Chinese propaganda of Tibet's past. But now I believe what they say maybe true.

I totally believe Chinese Communists repressed and destroyed Buddhist culture in Tibet, because... THEY DID THE SAME THING TO CHINESE BUDDHISM! It's not some racist thing directed at Tibet, because Communism likes to force their athiest views on others so they oppressed all religions during that time.

However, I also believe Tibet's old culture is medieval and feudlistic. Not to mention corrupted forms of sexual practices... Hell, they built Pagodas in specific locations in Tibet to control demonic forces in the country during the introduction of Buddhism to there!

• Metallica said:

I suppose the question isn't whether Dalai Lama is a slave owner or not? The question is, whether Tibetan culture under "their own unique system of Buddhist theocracy" is supporting feudalism and slavery?

I used to doubt Chinese propaganda of Tibet's past. But now I believe what they say maybe true.

I totally believe Chinese Communists repressed and destroyed Buddhist culture in Tibet, because... THEY DID THE SAME THING TO CHINESE BUDDHISM! It's not some racist thing directed at Tibet, because Communism likes to force their athiest views on others so they oppressed all religions during that time.

However, I also believe Tibet's old culture is medieval and feudlistic. Not to mention corrupted forms of sexual practices... Hell, they built Pagodas in specific locations in Tibet to control demonic forces in the country during the introduction of Buddhism to there!

Not to take the discussion off-track but I never miss the chance to highlight that China isn't and actually never was a communist country.

Communist by name, but not nature. They can call themselves what they want, but they're no more a legitimate communist nation than North Korea is a democracy.

You'd probably be right however that the anti-religious Chinese behaviour was driven by communist ideas.

Yaskan
  • The historical evidence simply doesn't support rampant slavery in pre-1949 Tibet.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Metallica said:

However, I also believe Tibet's old culture is medieval and feudlistic.

I think that's true. Though the idea that China invaded Tibet in order to liberate it's people from oppression is ridiculous.
    vinlynPhaseSeven
  • I think the point is that Tibet's old culture wasn't any more medieval or feudalistic than anyone else's, and in order to determine what those terms even mean, we'd have to have a really long conversation, as opposed to just casually declaring a culture to be these things.

My grandparents lived in both Tibet and China; the hyped up version of both countries, in practice, gives way under scrutiny to normal, everyday people living normal, everyday lives of farming, trading, herding, etc. The only bullets my grandparents experienced came from three separate bandit attacks during their journey from Shanghai to Lanzhou, and there are criminals in every nation, so one can't blame it on Chinese culture.

If we must make comparisons, at the time of Chinese invasion, foot-binding (never practiced in Tibet) was still being inflicted by the liberating nation on its own daughters. My grandmother had to treat the aches, pains, fractures and infections of many a purposely-crippled girl during her tenure in China. For a culture practicing this type of thing to say that their neighbors must be invaded due to "medievalism" is just ridiculous.

Nations and cultures overall, though, really aren't that different from one another. When cultures do go through periods of unusual, exceptional violence, it's quite simple to tell this is happening: refugees stream out of the area. If Tibet had been a feudalistic "hell on earth," refugees would have streamed out. Refugees always do - and under far more restrictive circumstances than the vast, largely unguarded borders of pre-1949 provided. The reality is that refugees began streaming out of Tibet post-1949, not pre-1949.

PhaseSevenMaryAnne
  • Well, sure, it wasn't any more feudal and oppressive than anyone else's medieval culture. The point is that Tibet's medieval culture survived to the mid-20th Century, while the rest of the world had progressed long ago.
    According to Heinrich Harrer, a group of lamas that were members of the government and had veto power over any measures the gov't wanted to pass, opposed modernization. He said the monks in power deliberately perpetuated a lot of superstition to maintain a certain control over the people. He said he was surprised his and Aufschnaiter's presence was tolerated for so long, because their mountain-climbing and other successful endeavors of various sorts showed that the spirits wouldn't harm anyone climbing mountains, digging in the earth, and so on.
    PatrPhaseSeven
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited November 2012
    China had progressed to still binding girls' feet?

Tibet has offered formal women's education since about the 1400s - centuries before England.

At the time of Chinese invasion, Tibet had formal education for children of both sexes, a functioning government, a postal system, passports, regional (and occasionally statewide) radio broadcasts, and a solid system of national and international trade.

Suggestions that Tibet was somehow more medieval (whatever that means) than any other Himalayan culture are unfounded. My grandparents lived there. Tibet was physically and psychologically healthier, and had a more vibrant human outlook, than many regions of China and India at the time (1930s - 1950).

Tibet as some kind of mythical Shangrila is a myth, and Tibet as some kind of medieval holdout is a myth. Other nations co-opt both myths to serve their needs.
    JeffreyPhaseSevenMaryAnne
  • Binding girls feet is viewed by Foreigners as oppression of women, but in actual fact it was very much a beautification thing. It was very much in demand for the higher / wealthier classes.

There are numerous poems dating back hundreds of years singing praises for the '3 inch lotus bud' as they were known. Young ladies must have bound feet to get a good marriage, it also signifies that the lady is from good stock, and need not work (cause you cant )
    Not that I agree with it one iota, but it was just a cultural thing. Looking at it from any other angle is pure speculation.

The practice died out with the Ching dynasty, early 20th century. Even the Manchus adopted shoes which made them look as if they had bound feet, such was the fashion of the day!!

My grandma always said that they stank like hell......
  • We seem to have two threads in the conversation. One is, did China "liberate" the Tibetan people? Well, no. China was only interested in securing their border with India, and besides, it was China's turn to invade Tibet. These two nations have been fighting and fussing with each other throughout history. At one point when Tibet was strong and China weak, Tibet actually invaded and occupied a big hunk of China! However, world history was not kind to Tibet. In the twentieth century, the British empire had occupied India on one side and with a strong Chinese empire on the other, this little border nation was doomed to be annexed to one or the other.

As to what the Tibet life was like before the invasion, according to the government officials and travelers of the time, it was neither a hell hole nor enlightened. Theocracies are always ultraconservative, authoritarian, and paranoid about change. Tibet would have been no different. Add to that the natural isolation of geography. It was a third world country with a rich ruling class, a whole lot of struggling poor with almost no rights, and almost no middle class. Just about what the entire world was like before the industrial revolution. Like a lot of nations today.

vinlyn
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Dakini said:

Well, sure, it wasn't any more feudal and oppressive than anyone else's medieval culture. The point is that Tibet's medieval culture survived to the mid-20th Century, while the rest of the world had progressed long ago.

I would not go so far as to say that. For example, the culture in North Korea or Afghanistan is pretty freaking medieval!
    :lol:
  • seeker242 said:

Dakini said:

Well, sure, it wasn't any more feudal and oppressive than anyone else's medieval culture. The point is that Tibet's medieval culture survived to the mid-20th Century, while the rest of the world had progressed long ago.

I would not go so far as to say that. For example, the culture in North Korea or Afghanistan is pretty freaking medieval!
    :lol:
    True. Different parts of the world have progressed at different paces. But there's no feudalism in Afghanistan or Korea. Maybe that's not saying much.

• Patr said:

Not that I agree with it one iota, but it was just a cultural thing. Looking at it from any other angle is pure speculation.

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree on that one. Looking at it from an angle three inches away, seeing a child wracked with pain, is not quite the same as speculation.

Footbinding was an agonizing, sustained fracturing and refracturing of the child's bones, accompanied by other aspects--designed to make the foot as small as possible--that I can't really stomach putting into print. The history is available online, or you can find more detailed experiences in the missionary record.

Many, many girls died as the result of footbinding and the chronic infections which ensued.

• I would say that it *is* cultural, but it is the kind of tradition that releaves suffering if it is repealed. There is a victim but no perpetrator due to it being part of the centuries old habits. Just my two cents.
    Patr said:

...but it was just a cultural thing. ...

So was slavery. So were lots of horrible actions.\ in various cultures.