Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My dog was killed..

Hey guys, My dog was killed today & I truly want revenge. I want to make these people pay in the most gruesome way possible but first I'm trying my best to maintain myself. I have rage in me that wants to make them suffer but now that I'm calmer then I was... I need something to help me,being a new practicer of buddhism I'm trying to find peace in all of this..I do not know what to do so if u guys have anything for me, any advice to keep me from going crazy & making these ppl pay please help in any way u can

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    What were the circumstances?
  • he was shot..I feel numb & angry
    lobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    wow...that is bad. what about calling the police?
  • PeaceOfMe said:

he was shot..I feel numb & angry

I am so sorry :bawl:

I would at least feel this too . . . at least . . .
    What is the situation with reporting the incident?
    You will be too agitated to do anything but prostrations.
    Please do not shoot anyone.

Do you have the body?
    I have just done some practice. I dedicate the peace and merit to you.

I would also recommend a mind revenge meditation. Sit and visualise you meditation.
    Click your fingers and say 'this is not the way'
    Then go to another visualisation.

Get the emotive energy out.
    PeaceOfMeSile
  • Thank u lobster, I'm sure this will help me somewhat & I appreciate ur advice..so far there are a few cops & investigators on this they all believe whoever did this did it with intentions..why would anyone want to harm & animal,my dog was so loving & playful he wouldnt harm a fly..it makes me want to cause them more pain then they have ever felt in there entire life/lives but at the same time I'm trying to push these horrible thoughts from myself as this is not who I am..I do not want to feel such anger & haterade but I can't help but feel it anyway because they have taken something so precious & unreplaceable from me,I will try that meditation technique asap lobster,wish me luck..
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    RIP :(
  • I wish you luck.
    I have prepared a podcast about this and will post a link as soon as possible.
    A terrible thing. My thoughts are with you.
  • Sorry to hear about this loss, I can understand the attachment that comes to such companions, with time it will ease off and it things change in life, everything does as you have seen yourself that your anger as dropped already a little since.

I have made a thread about hatred which I am dealing with at the moment, I know it is unwise to cling on to these emotions, we should drop them and let them pass, sometimes though this is harder said than done. Good luck.
  • Here is a link to the promised podcast
    Sorry the quality is so low . . . hope it is of some use :)
    Tosh
  • I'll check it out,cant sleep..thanks everyone for ur condolences..
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    sad to hear about your dog. it feels so much because of attachment. try to see this as a Dhamma teaching - all conditioned things are impermanent. try to anaylze the heading of your thread - my dog was killed - now firstly there is no 'you', so nothing yours - so the above reduces to - dog was killed. now since dog was born, so its death was unavoidable, if not today, then may be 3 days, 3 years or 30 years later, it would die. Try to see it in different perspective - may be your dog got freedom from his dog's life and may be due to its past karma, might get a human birth now, so from the dog's viewpoint it was good to get rid of dog's body and get into a human body.

Now for revenge, which you want to have on other people, who killed your dog - there is no need for revenge, as the law of karma ensures that no good deed goes unrewarded and no bad deed goes unpunished, so the law of karma will punish them. If you think of punishing them, you will create bad karma for yourself and then later you will have to face its bad consequences. So why do you want to create something bad for you in your future - think about it and it may calm you and you may then leave your mood of revenge from even your thoughts.

metta to you and all sentient beings.
    MaryAnneTheEccentricRainbowTara
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I have three dogs, each of them a cherished member of the family. I would feel great anger and grief if someone killed one.

Some people just want to kill. They enjoy the power. They even enjoy knowing they caused the owners of the dog pain. They have an illness of the mind. That's all the "Why?" you need to know. It is known that someone who does something like this for the thrill of it will not stop with your dog. So continue to check with the police, and perhaps put flyers on doors in the neighborhood warning that someone is shooting pets.

My advice is to feel the anger and grief. It's natural and part of being human. There's nothing wrong with being angry. But, you don't have to act on the anger. You don't have to let the emotions control you. Like any loss, it will eventually hurt less but leave a scar. That's being human. For now, allow yourself to grieve but be careful not to let your anger cause you to strike out at anyone.
    MaryAnneJeffreykarastiRebeccaS
  • Bloody hell, that's awful. I'm so sorry :(

It's ok to feel angry and sad and hatred. Not feeling those things in the face of such a tragedy would be unnatural. Allow yourself the time to grieve and peace will come in due time.
  • PeaceOfMe said:

Hey guys, My dog was killed today & I truly want revenge. I want to make these people pay in the most gruesome way possible but first I'm trying my best to maintain myself. I have rage in me that wants to make them suffer but now that I'm calmer then I was... I need something to help me,being a new practicer of buddhism I'm trying to find peace in all of this..I do not know what to do so if u guys have anything for me, any advice to keep me from going crazy & making these ppl pay please help in any way u can

Im truly sorry about your dog. One thing we believe as buddhists is that if you cling to your anger, its the same as being in hell, on a mental plane. If you took out your anger and got revenge you would be making a ton of bad karma that you would have to answer for in the future. The Buddha said no one can escape their karma...so this would include the ones who did this to your dog. The law of karma is something they will have to answer to.
    There really is no way to know for sure, but if it can put your mind at ease then think of this, its verry possible your dog went to heaven or possibly became reborn as a human being.
    All things come to an end, your suffering will cease in time.
    I wish you the best

Jeffrey
  • When I first saw this the other month I found it insightful. Not sure how helpful it is if someone just killed your dog though, I'd be furious!

kashi
  • Condolences on your dog :( What a confusing and painful way to lose him/her. I hope they catch the perpetrator. That is just evil to shoot a dog.
  • the video PhaseSeven posted is I think, very direct and easy to understand and can be applied to anything that makes us angry...you dont need to really even be a buddhist to see the truth in what is being said here...but I do honestly hope you can find peace within.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm so sorry! :( I don't have much to add beyond what the others wisely suggested. Just to try to remember that your feelings will pass with time. Recognize them, name them, allow yourself to feel them, and give yourself lots of love and compassion. Take care of you, and let Karma and the police do the dirty work. One meditation that has helped me in the past, shared by my teacher, was in difficult times that you can't yet get around, imagine Buddha himself sitting with you and practicing Tonglen or metta meditation for you. You are in my thoughts as you go through this process.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2012
    And I hope you have a shoulder to cry on available.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Wow it's horrible that there are people who would want to do that :(

It is normal to feel anger or hate at first but do not cling on too it as the Buddha said "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."I have a problem with holding onto anger with people I know and all it has caused for me ia pain, letting go really is a relief from it as hard as it maybe.

Also seeking revenge although normal to do will not help you either because expressing anger doeds not help release it noly extend it.

"You will not be punished for your anger you will be punished by your anger"-The Buddha
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Omg @PeaceOfMe, I am so, so sorry to hear this.

I will dedicate practices to your dog - do you feel like sharing his/her name? If not that's okay.

Sometimes as a last resort in dealing with the overwhelming grief of a pet's (or human's) death, when I'm feeling like I'm suffocating, I try to calm myself in a given moment by thinking, "At this very moment, my friend is out of pain. His/her pain is completely over." I know we keep replaying the moment of death over and over in our mind, but it helps me so much to think, "That moment and the pain are completely gone, never to be experienced again."

I also find I can use the love of my friend as motivation, something like, "In honor of my dog, I will do the right thing and avoid doing the wrong thing."
    Jeffrey
  • PeaceOfMe said:

The people who killed your dogs are dogs.. Don't end up like them.

P.S. Your dog of course is of a better breed.
  • @PeaceOfMe

Sorry to hear this. Of course you feel angry and want justice.

You have already suffered from the loss of your dog. Getting angry is only making you suffer even more. You are only letting the wrong doer/s prolonged the pain and hurt. One way of looking at this is that your poor dog will never have to meet these type of persons ever again. It's suffering is over and yours have just begun.

Don't get angry, get even. Let the law take care of this for you.
  • PeaceOfMe said:

I'm sorry for your loss pets really are like family. I can understand how you feel I'm an animal lover myself. Anyways don't pursue revenge it won't get you anywhere, but to more pain.
  • One of the practices that has helped me most in dealing with the constant death of animals around me (I live in Wisconsin, so a lot of dead wild critters on the roads), is phowa, which means the transference of consciousness.

A very simple version, from the Tibetan Book of Living & Dying:

"In the sky in front of you, invoke the embodiment of whatever truth you believe in, in the form of radiant light.

Choose whichever divine being or saint you feel close to. If you are a Buddhist, invoke a buddha with whom you feel an intimate connection. If you are a practicing Christian, feel with all your heart the vivid, immediate presence of God, the Holy Spirit, Jesus, or the Virgin Mary. If you don't feel linked with any particular spiritual figure, simply imagine a form of pure golden light in the sky before you.

Imagine that the rays of light pour down onto the dying person [or animal], purifying his or her whole being, and then he or she dissolves into light and merges with the spiritual presence."

An important note is that you can do this after the fact--even after the animal or person has died.

An even shorter version, which you can do quickly once you already have developed the deep feelings in the above version, is just this:

Imagine the animal's/person's consciousness as a sphere of light at his/her heart, which flashes out from him/her like a shooting star, and flies into the heart of the presence.

It's good to spend some time reading through the more detailed phowa practices; for example, the imagery which is suggested and which I find very comforting, is to imagine the body of the loved one disappearing completely, leaving only the consciousness as a sphere of light, which then shoots into the heart of the Buddha or devotional presence. That helps to drive home the point to me that the body--which we so often picture over and over, thinking of it being dead and sad--is not the loved one at all. By shooting into the heart of the Buddha, the loved one or animal is immediately pain-free and safe.

As you do phowa over and over again, you really do become comforted and start to feel your own pain lifting, as you visualize the pain of your loved one lifting.

Hope this is of use; Medicine Buddha practice is also wonderful.

RebeccaSRainbowTara
  • Very sorry. My condolences.

I wouldn't even begin to know how that feels, but I imagine I would be in a vengeful rage too. I'd probably find their car and mess it up.

But, that's not the buddhist thing to do. If I were able to calm down, I would take time to appreciate and be grateful for good times I got to spend with the dog. Those jerkwads never had what you had. They never got to enjoy the unconditional love and loyalty the way you did from your dog, and perhaps they never will.

Those jerkwads probably feel crappy about themselves everyday in one way or another. That's their karma. That's also what drives them to do horrible things. They will be stuck in their miserable suffering for an extremely long time.
  • Twice I saw special dogs today. One was totally placid and good willed. The other was chewing a stick whilst local birds were fed, a heron normally spooked by dogs was very near and at peace . . .

I hope you have been able to find some peace . . .
    I have posted a rarely revealed rage transformation practice from Buddhist Yoga and martial arts.
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/37238001515/diamond-dorje-mudra
  • Lawfully, your dog is an object that belongs to you. He was your property, this means that they committed a crime. In the UK, we call it criminal damage, perhaps you call it something else. But I'm sure that what they did was illegal, you have every right to try and get them prosecuted. They did something bad and karma should get them back for it, perhaps a punishment regarding their criminal nature would be just that.
  • I love animals so much. I feed (in a sneaky way as to not domesticate them) wild animals like deer, squirrels, and birds outside the home. I worry about the deer and always pray no one hunts them for sport. I have 2 dogs and love them like they are my children. If someone shot them, I'd probably go ballistic. I'm so very sorry for what happened to you and your dog. I hope you find peace in the situation.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    PeaceOfMe said:

Thank u lobster, I'm sure this will help me somewhat & I appreciate ur advice..so far there are a few cops & investigators on this they all believe whoever did this did it with intentions..why would anyone want to harm & animal,my dog was so loving & playful he wouldnt harm a fly..it makes me want to cause them more pain then they have ever felt in there entire life/lives but at the same time I'm trying to push these horrible thoughts from myself as this is not who I am..I do not want to feel such anger & haterade but I can't help but feel it anyway because they have taken something so precious & unreplaceable from me,I will try that meditation technique asap lobster,wish me luck..

your feelings are a natural cause of having attachments :). don't add guilt to it by thinking that it is "un-buddhist" . when we have loss of beings we love we go through all of the stages of grief. Your best bet is try and be as mindful as possible through this time.. observe your thoughts, feelings , and emotions as they come and go. I don't want to sound heartless with this statement but death is one of our greatest teachers, make the most of this time with mindfulness..

also practice and abide in metta.. for your animal but also for all beings.. and whoever committed the unskillful act that lead to the death of your dog.