Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

perversion from noble ways in dreams?

remaining noble while awake, but going to sleep then having dreams including thoughts of lust and so forth?

would you say it counts as perversion ?

Comments

• No, I would not. I would continue to cultivate noble and compassionate qualities while awake, so that I can continue to increase noble and compassionate deeds.
    zenff
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

remaining noble while awake, but going to sleep then having dreams including thoughts of lust and so forth?

If you have received certain vows and refrain from behaviours in the waking moments depending upon your experience of renunciation you may notice non virtue arising in sleep.
  • Are you being noble or are you just repressing your instincts? It could be your subconscious letting you know that you need to address these issues, not hide from them.
  • This is a great opportunity. If you can remember the dharma in your dreams or just after waking you can see how the poisons are mind wrought. And remembering the dharma it makes it more likely that you will remember in your waking life. There is no sense in beating yourself up. Traditionally with bad behaviour or thoughts one practices: remorse, antidote, mindfulness, and refuge.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The images that appear in our dreams most of the time aren't literal. Also there is said to be no accrual of karma for actions taken in dreams.
  • remaining noble while awake, but going to sleep then having dreams including thoughts of lust and so forth?

It would count as an asava or mental fermentations/taints/outflows,an apt description considering how these outflows continue unabated until they all end.
    The Blessed One said, "Monks, the ending of the fermentations is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see. For one who knows what & sees what? Appropriate attention & inappropriate attention. When a monk attends inappropriately, unarisen fermentations arise, and arisen fermentations increase. When a monk attends appropriately, unarisen fermentations do not arise, and arisen fermentations are abandoned.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/17284/perversion-from-noble-ways-in-dreams#latest
  • remaining noble while awake, but going to sleep then having dreams including thoughts of lust and so forth?

lol, I doubt you always remain "noble" while awake. :p

RebeccaS
  • Firstly, no - it's not perverted, it's just your subconscious, which you can't control.

Although if you really want to get into it, google "Dream yoga" or "Lucid dreaming".

Sweet dreams!

It's just a dream; nothing like sleep walking or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
  • nope there is no intention behind it.
  • I think the reaction to the lust in the dream is more interesting than the fact that lust occurred. Don't beat yourself up over the reaction (because in my experience there is less freedom in choosing your response when you are dreaming, things happen more on auto-pilot), but see if you can learn something from it.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran

No. The Buddha even said if a Teravadan Monk has a hot sexy dream... which ends up being a sticky wet dream... then that's okay, no offence is committed. He acknowledged we don't usually control our dreams.