Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you Love?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited December 2012 in General Banter
I think I must be some sort of Buddhist pervert . . .
I love to practice . . .

. . . coming my beloved cushion . . . have to go :om:
GeminiVI

Comments

• Define love :rolleyes:
  • Non attached desire for cushions
    NiwalenCole_
  • ahhh there we go :) My point was that people have many different conceptions of love, all too often it is confused with attachment and desire.

What do I love? hmmm.. :scratch:
    I would probably say there are attachments within my love for my partner and my mother for sure. There are so many things I 'love' but I can see there are some form of attachment in most of them be it a tiny bit of attachment or a lot. For example I like designing things and working, producing something that the client is happy with at the end, their happiness I probably have a certain amount of attachment to. So I would say that this question is not so easy to answer as it may seem IMO.
  • I "love" non-attachment for love...but then "loving" non-attachment is still attachment.... if love can be found in its purest state, "love yet non love" then perhaps there is non-attachment. This is not so easy to answer actually.
  • No idea but love acts regardless.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I love the little video called "Thought Moments" It asks ordinary pedestrians ten questions, including, "What do you love?"
    jcuest
  • I love the sky and smoking a pipe.
    GeminiVI
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Is this is a trick question? lol
    I love the moments I can just be. When I take the dog out at 5am and the dark and silence is just there, and I can breathe deeply the fresh air from the fresh fallen snow (except right now it is raining and melting the snow). I love to just stop for a moment, take a couple breaths and just feel whatever is.
  • In the end, I probably love love. Until I get there (since I don't feel that realized) I love feeling positive!
    lobsterGeminiVI
  • edited December 2012
    The core of our being, as say great mystics, is made of pure love & peace. When this pure love passes through our mind, it generates desires and attachments to material things, other people, situations, etc. So, all our wordly desires have a divine origin.
    Jeffrey
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    My wife and kids
    The dharma
    Sport
    newbuddhist.com
    mfranzdorfGeminiVI
  • In the end, I probably love love. Until I get there (since I don't feel that realized) I love feeling positive!
    Buddhists seem to prefer compassion, which is love but minus a bit (attachment).
    I wonder if we have to abandon our non attachment to love?
  • I'm in love with my iPad. Just had it upgraded to iOS 6.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I love chickens, christina aguilera and lady gaga :rocker:
  • I love my children, of course. I enjoy spending time with my family, playing guitar, playing sport and playing games. In the past I feel I have given my love to things too readily and now realise the error of my ways. I also enjoy discovering who I am and thinking about me for a change, the things I enjoy and the things I would like to do.
  • Running, on the rare occasion it feels smooth, light, effortless, and nothing hurts.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Unattached, I love it all.

When attached there is only varying degrees.

Altruism be damned, I love the feeling I get from helping others especially if it improves their self worth.
    lobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
  • i love my fiance, my dog, growing to love my work lol and now start to realise how truely amazing buddhism is.
    lobster
  • I love my husband and my 2 cats, I never tend to 'love' food or inanimate objects, those things I simply enjoy.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    If unconditional love is just the absence of self, who loves unconditionally?.
    AND..

If we theorize about unconditional love from our conditional experiences of love aren't we really full of BS?

and to those out there who say "Come on Howard, it's not the size that matters,
    ....Call me.
  • How Howard,
    How did you expect to get to the unconditional except through the conditioned. Love to know . . .
  • Love is something I do regardless of whether or not I know what it is. But it is also an ongoing research for understanding what love is, and to be comfortable with what it means. Once that comfort is reached, I would then use this comfortable understanding of love with myself and everyone more peacefully.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    lobster said:

How Howard,
    How did you expect to get to the unconditional except through the conditioned. Love to know . . .

That pesky "you" will just have to catch it's own ride.

lobster
  • kashi said:

I "love" non-attachment for love...but then "loving" non-attachment is still attachment.... if love can be found in its purest state, "love yet non love" then perhaps there is non-attachment. This is not so easy to answer actually.

@kashi I wish this site allowed downvotes.
  • robot said:

I'm in love with my iPad. Just had it upgraded to iOS 6.

Scratch that. I think I might be in love with Nancy Wilson. But then who isn't?

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    lobster said:

I think I must be some sort of Buddhist pervert . . .
    I love to practice . . .

. . . coming my beloved cushion . . . have to go :om:

I actually have a fairly big aversion to cushions ( actually meditate on concrete outside now, no more cushions) and just sitting meditation in general. I "love" walking meditation. I am trying to move towards losing my attachment and aversion to both :P
  • GeminiVI said:

kashi said:

I "love" non-attachment for love...but then "loving" non-attachment is still attachment.... if love can be found in its purest state, "love yet non love" then perhaps there is non-attachment. This is not so easy to answer actually.

@kashi I wish this site allowed downvotes.
    Not up to practicing today? Thats ok, we all wake up on the wrong side of the bed from time to time....or find that someone pissed in our coffee.

• When the conditions for conditional love change what are we left with?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    'Love' is over-used as a word and over-rated as an emotion.
    kashilobster
  • I don't understand the concept of love, but I hold high the Triple Jewel, my family, my fellow practioners, and well-being and harmony.
  • What's not to Love? Then again if you see everything as it truly is... what is there to Love?
    lobster
  • GuiGui Veteran
    There is only everything.
    What is left to differentiate?
  • And you can practice letting life in, allowing people, circumstance, your own brilliance and your own foibles to touch you deeply. When you know how to navigate from discomfort back to equilibrium through the practice of meditation and can extend yourself to others fearlessly by cultivating loving kindness, you can stop looking for love. You have made your life into love itself.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-piver/spiritual-living-love-spi_b_615281.html

Maybe there is mundane and spiritual love/compassion?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    What do you love?

The absense of that "you" in the experience.
    lobster