Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No-self: A Thought Experiment

I wasn't sure which category to fit this post into, but I put it under Buddhism For Beginners, since it deals with a fundamental concept in Buddhism that I hope to gain a better understanding of.

Suppose there is a person, whom we will call B. Suppose that B believes that death is the complete cessation of all consciousness and memory. Also, let's suppose that B has good reason to believe that she has many years of health and productive life ahead of her. Now, suppose that one of two scenarios occurs: (1) B is told that on a particular day, she will be afflicted with a case of permanent, total amnesia; (2) B is told that on a particular day, she will be killed. In scenario (2), B's memory would function as normal after the amnesia, only she would have no memories whatsoever from before being struck with the amnesia. Given either scenario, knowing the day of her impending fate, B will have to deal with a range of emotions and experiences. The question I pose is, would the fear and regret experienced by B under scenario (2) be comparable to that experienced under scenario (1)?

I believe this little thought experiment is quite relevant to my understanding of the buddhist concept of the "self", and the concept of no-self. To explain, I believe that B would experience almost as much of a feeling of fear of loss of self under scenario (2). It seems to me that there would be, under that scenario, an irreparable break in the continuity of B's identity after permanently losing all memories. In a sense, a "new B" could then be reborn within her healthy mind and body through the construction of a new identity, but this would be a "new ego", an essentially different person.

It seems that it follows from this conclusion that the "separate self" that our minds are constantly constructing and misperceiving as a solid, independently existing entity depends almost totally on our personal history, as preserved in the memories of ourselves and others. From this perspective, much of the "sting of death" is in the fear of the loss of continuity of our personal identity. Also, if our sense of personal identity depends upon the memories of ourself and others, we must consider how fallible and subjective human memory is much of the time.

I hope that someone may find this line of thinking interesting, or that someone may have some thoughts to share that may shine some new light on these things for me.

Comments

• The Buddhist teaching as I personally understand it is that we shouldn't forget and become totally ignorant to the past, but to actually see what we are for what we are. There is a self in the sense there is a body that is a combination of factors coming together and which has a mind and consciousness. it is non permanent, subject to change and ties in with the rest of the universe. History can be important as we need to learn from it, we can remember history and learn from it without attaching to it. if you want to disconnect your mind from the self in the way you speak of, just take a lot of ketamine or LSD and it will induce such a state for a period of time, but this is not profound and not what the Buddhist teaching of non-self is to my knowledge. Jump in if you do not agree with anything I think here..
  • ThailandTom: I think you make a lot of really good points. It is also my understanding that there is a self that is a body supporting mind and consciousness, and that this self is subject to change and tied in with the rest of the universe. I think of this as being human and part of what humans do. I think you misunderstand me a bit also. I don't wish to disconnect my mind from the self. I have had some interesting experiences in the past... but I understand what you mean by not profound. Reading certain books or watching certain films can have a similar effect, if you are imaginative. It is the actually seeing what we are for what we are part that I am really interested in. It seems that is the practice of Buddhism - trying to be skillful in our life so that we can more and more see things as they are. It seems to be a cultivation of acceptance and a gradual understanding that the stories we construct about who "I" is are not the entire essence of what we really are. Of course history has to play a role, because it seems that from birth it is our nature to start constructing images of identity for ourself that are quite self-serving and lead to unhappiness and selfishness. Without history, how would we learn a better way to be. Perhaps some of us had a very wise upbringing where parents set a good example of skillful living. For others, maybe we happened on wise teachings handed on by others. More thoughts... thanks for your reply!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Not 'no-self'

but

'not-self'....

There is a distinct and subtle difference - but it's what leads to such confusion....
    quietmaths
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    not-self can never come from thought.. in fact in so much of the practice is hindered and confused by "thinking". For me it was when I stopped trying to "think" about this stuff that my practice actually progressed and I started to gain experiential wisdom.

I know how hard it is to stop thinking.. I've always been a big thinker, over thinker, it's not worth goes nuts over thought.
    quietmathsDeepankar
  • Haha, it sounds like the essence of what you are all saying is, "no need to think so hard." From here that is sounding like good advice. I have been fairly diligently applying myself to a meditation practice for a few months now -- 20 minutes morning and night -- but in the past week I have slacked off. My main source of information on meditation is from a few books (Mindfulness for Beginners, Peace is Every Step, How to Meditate). It seems like I slack off and look where I wind up: back in a thicket of intellectual tangles. In fact, I believe I am fairly attached to the structure of intellectual theories... breathe in, breathe out... ah. Thank you all for sharing your experience and advice. That is what I hoped to receive when I joined this forum. Now, hopefully in time I can contribute to the well being of others here, too

Metta :)
    lobster
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Just a slight augmentation: in the amnesia scenario, I wonder if it would really be a 'clean-slate' if we are to believe in neuroplasticity, which claims that the brain actually changes on a physical level (through neural pathways and synapses) according to thoughts and experiences. This is only relevant in that it points another finger to the possibility of all self being a fabrication of the brain. Maybe.

But back on track, I think what we fear most is death of our ego, not the death of our body. It's hard for me to imagine, never having been in that situation, but I think the thought of no longer existing and experiencing could be terrifying.
    I remember when I was about 12 years old, I had the sudden thought of... What if in one instant, the universe ceased to exist and there was just nothing... no one to even wonder about the nothing... no one to even know. Just nothing. The thought sent a chill through my spine that I can still remember, but it was the thought of the "no one to know of the nothing" that got me more than the nothingness itself.
  • In some sense this is what happens already with the amnesia. Think back to 20 years ago. There are a lot of special people, at the time, whose names I no longer remember.

Interesting question, thanks for posting.
    Deepankar
  • zombiegirl: I have thought of the issue of neuroplasticity in the amnesia scenario, also. My thoughts were that even given that the brain would be shaped by the previous experience of B, there would still be a break in conscious memory, so post amnesia B would be like a "different person", but one who is influenced by her life before amnesia. Very interesting point, I think

Also, I agree with you about how the ego death is what is most feared. Actually, my understanding of the idea of reincarnation held by many Buddhists is that it is something like an ego-death but with the continuity of awareness continuing into a new life, which to me seems something like amnesia. I may have a wrong understanding, but that is based on what I have read so far! As for me, I am currently reincarnation agnostic :

Jeffrey: Wow, that is a good point. Forgetting is really like a type of amnesia. I can think of times when I mourned the loss of the innocent person I was at a time during childhood. I have forgotten so much since then, and I have gained so many new memories that have shaped who I am in many ways.

Thanks for your replies!
    zombiegirl
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Not "no-self" in Buddhism.

Buddhism works with what is sometimes called "no abiding self."
    lobsterDeepankar
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I think the no-self/not-self thing comes from the fact that there IS technically a "self" ... there are these 6 sense organs with their corresponding sense consciousness... there are these 5 aggregates( form, feeling, perception, mental formations, consciousness) and this is what creates a "self".

the issue is we have this illusion that this self is permanent.. that it is something we control, like a soul for example. We say this body is "mine", but we have little to no control over it.... it is not-self, same with all the causes and conditions that create this thing we call " I ".

now to say there is no-self, is to say that nothing actually exists at all, which isn't what the Buddha taught as far as I can tell.

all in all I try to stay away from Anatta as much as possible because like I said , thinking about it just wastes time that you could use for practice.
  • I think it is also that we cannot find a part that is 'me'. If we point to a feeling that is a feeling. It is not 'me'. If we point to a body part that is not 'me'. If we point to the whole body and mind it seems like that is a fluxional 'me'.

I don't think a fluxional 'me' is the extent of non-self. Non-self denies even a fluxional self I believe, but it is something that initially can be doubted and discarded. That is one reason not many people do not realize it, because it is so easy to doubt.

Then we enter the coursest view of emptiness, the sravaka. And that sravaka is the view that we are not the five fluxional skhandas.

For more information Khenpo Gyamptso Tsultrim Rinpoche has written a book, Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Here is a site by Thanisarro Bhiku
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/selvesnotself.html
    "The Buddha himself makes the point that the not-self perception is to be used for the sake of happiness:

"'Monks, do you see any clinging in the form of a doctrine of self which, when you cling to it, there would not arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair?"

And the monks respond, "No, Lord."

And the Buddha says, "Neither do I. What do you think, if a person were to gather or to burn or do as he likes with the grass, twigs, branches, and leaves here in Jeta's Grove, would the thought occur to you, 'It's us that this person is gathering, burning, or doing with as he likes'?"

The monks say, "No, Lord. Why is that? Because those things are not our self nor do they pertain to our self."

And then the Buddha says, "Even so, monks, whatever is not yours, let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term welfare & happiness. What is not yours?

"Form is not yours. Let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term welfare & happiness.

"Feeling is not yours. Let go of it...

"Perception is not yours. Let go of it...

"Fabrications are not yours. Let go of them...

"Consciousness is not yours. Let go of it. Your letting go of it will be for your long-term welfare & happiness."

— MN 22"
    maarten
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

It seems that it follows from this conclusion that the "separate self" that our minds are constantly constructing and misperceiving as a solid, independently existing entity depends almost totally on our personal history, as preserved in the memories of ourselves and others.

A sense of self functions with memory of course, but I don't know that it's entirely dependent on memory. In any case, what's the significance of this?
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    it is the mind which creates Samsara and it is the mind which can transcend Samsara - yet nothing creates anything, rather just process arising and ceasing due to their causal factors arising and ceasing, without any entity in and of itself anywhere.
  • Brain flapping and mind flappin' and mouth flapping. Time to be still. :wave:
  • The belief of B that death is the complete cessation of all consciousness and memory is in fact representing all living beings who did not contact or lack of opportunity to explore religion. And in whichever scenarios they will be in, even the highly intellectual and conscious healthy living being are suffering. In both scenarios this B may/will be an anmesia sufferers in old age as experienced by some, and death is also inevitable. What if B is simply told that life is just born, eat, shit, sleep, work, married, having children, take care of them same as B was being care of in childhood day, then old, frail, sick and death, that it, life is so same for all, and probably in between creating some havoc, remedy, likes and dislikes...sort of standard set of program with a bit different in software function for fun, not fun, sobbing, joys, chill, amuse, tornedo, hurricane, tsunami etc.
  • Jayantha, thank you for your explanation. Jeffrey, thank you for your explanation and for the sources that you provide and point me towards. I feel as though I could spend a lot of time contemplating the quote that you posted. I believe that will be very helpful for me.

Nevermind: It seems that I am trying to understand the fundamental teaching of the Buddha that our suffering is caused by attachment and aversion to things, which is largely caused by our misunderstanding of how things really are. From what I have read, we view ourself as a separate, independent and unchanging entity and this is a source of suffering that is caused essentially by selfishness. I am trying to attack this problem using the tool of logic. Maybe this is not the best tool. To me if I could understand the source of my misunderstanding, then maybe a new perspective would dispell the delusion. Maybe this itself is part of the misunderstanding: trying to use delusion to dispel delusion. Also, someone very dear to me is losing her memory due to old age, and this has me thinking alot about memory and how I cherish my memories.

misecmisc1: Thanks for this explanation. It is very compact, yet comprehensible. I will spend some time trying to deeply understand this.

lobster: In the end, I think that you are right. Imagine one who is prone to overeating. Such a one loves food and must always be careful to use restraint when eating, in order to stay healthy. Still this person will always have a tendency to love food. So it is with myself and "philosophical" types of thinking. Maybe I will overcome this attachment in my practice or somehow transform it into stillness, as you say.

Deepankar: You make a very good point. Sadly, I know many such people, even among those I that are dear to me, that believe this way. In fact, I myself have trouble sometimes to see how there is anything beyond this brief life. However, I can easily see how each action of mine in each moment, right down to my internal attitude and emotional state, is part of the causes and conditions for infinite other things. I can see how there is something destructive that arises from what Buddhism calls delusion. This is very practical to me, such as how in my state of despair and delusion, my mistreating someone, intentionally or not, could ripple outward to affect many others. I can also see how the opposite of that, the life of the Noble Eightfold Path, could have many outward-radiating positive consequences.
    Jeffrey