Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Truth about Tibet.

Anyone seen this, this cuts out the Western propagandas, altho there will be detractors, but there is only one truth out there .

Alexandra David Neel, the author has a similar perspective......

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=TW&v=Xsoc4-QnplY&hl=zh-TW

Part 2

:):):)

A bit of history, at the end of the 19th Century, the British demand for Chinese tea, silk, porcelain and spices were so great that there wasnt enough gold and silver to pay for it. So the British sold Opium to the Chinese ( Drug lord pioneer!)
to get the funds.

When the Chinese Govt stepped in to stop this, the result was the Opium Wars, essentially " You let us sell drugs or we shoot you dead". Apparently this type of diplomacy still exists very much with Western Govts.

So is it difficult to believe that there is plenty of Western propaganda?
I have wondered why the CIA provided funds to the DL, hmm for further Buddhist studies???

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    So, uh.. remind me how many people died when China gloriously liberated the place in the 1950's and brought peace and freedom to all?
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    1. A lot of Chinese in China also died, so it wasnt a race thing.

2. Compare the numbers to all the wars started by the West.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I don't think that you will see many Buddhists even think about anything regarding the Dalai Lama and Tibet that isn't from Richard Gere's(or likewise westerners) mouth... While I do feel there is more to the "omg poor tibetans got invaded", I'm also not so sure they deserved it either just because " they were always part of china".

I do agree there is a "can do no wrong" when it comes to Tibetans and especially the Dalai Lama, which I admit I had in the past but no longer.

When it comes to any situation there is never black and white.. just many shades of grey.
    Bunks
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I remember reading a book where some guy travels around the world in order to find out how Buddhism is practiced in different countries. When he went to the Dalai Lama's home village, he said that the villagers there told him they were more or less okay with the way things are under Chinese rule. Daily life is more or less the same (in the village).

I can imagine that in a place like Lhasa, which has much more cultural/religious/social/political meaning, the iron fist is much more present.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Dakini said:

It would be good to have material presented by an independent Western historian, rather than a guy reading a script written by the Chinese.

1. It said there were only 2 million Tibetans in Tibet when China invaded, but there were 8 million according to other estimates (including the Tibetan Gov't In Exile's).

2. China bases it's claim to Tibet on the fact that Tibet was part of "China" in the Yuan Dynasty. But the Yuan Dynasty was when the Mongols annexed China and Tibet to make them part of the Mongol Empire. And prior to the Yuan, "China" had been conquered by the Jurchens (the so-called Jin Dynasty), who were the early Manchus (they later renamed themselves in honor of Manjushri), so even then, "China" was a conquered territory incorporated into a greatly expanded Manchuria. China can't claim Tibet under the Yuan, because it was the Mongols who took over Tibet, not the Chinese, who themselves were vassals of the Mongols at that time.

3. Tibet actually conquered China at the peak of Tibet's empire. Notice that they left that out.

4. I see China couldn't resist including a jab at India, trying to justify its claim to NE India's Arunachal Pradesh on the basis that it used to belong to Tibet. Though that's irrelevant to the film topic. It just shows what a blatant propaganda piece this is.

5. Too bad China's using the Dorje Shugden controversy (the NKT monks carrying banners saying, "Dalai Lama Stop Lying") to bolster its position. Sad mess that is.

The round white "tents" the showed toward the end, saying some Tibetans prefer to live in tents rathern than government-built housing, were Mongol yurts. Tibetan tents are black yak-hair arrangements of a completely different shape. Could the government have issued Tibetans traditional Mongol dwellings, or was that short clip shot in Inner Mongolia? :scratch:

Not that any of this invalidates the view of life in Tibet that was presented. But someone really needs to do a better job.

5. Is false, the campaign for religious freedom and political activity between the Chinese and Tibetans are very much separate.
  • Retribution of european for improper foreign affairs.
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Well, well, who would have thought the truth is independent of culture . . .
    http://www.trimondi.de/EN/deba05.html
    sndymornVastmind
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I heard someone say once that there are 3 sides to everything - my side, your side and the side of the truth... everyone breaks their necks to pull the side of the truth to their side...
    Bunks
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    In order to address Tibetan's needs and rights, we honestly wouldn't even have to use the word autonomy, much less independence, if the Chinese government and/or local governments and businesses would stop running roughshod over them. Most Tibetans would just like to not be kicked off their land to make way for a water-contaminating mine, for example, or would like to have a genuine legal system to turn to, for recourse, when a Chinese company does do this.

After 60 years of being beaten down in so many ways, most Tibetans, like any human population, just want to be left in peace with less harassment. Since this is obviously not going to happen as forced citizens of some "Greater China," autonomy and independence will continue to (increasingly) be on the people's lips.

If the Party had kept its employees in better line over the decades, curbed even the greater excesses, it wouldn't currently be faced with this situation. But Tibet is a long way from Beijing, and any cadre/company taking advantage of that fact knows that most excesses can be gotten away with for some time before Beijing decides to address it, if in fact Beijing chooses to address it at all.

So, whether it's a regional administrative decision to remove Tibetan textbooks, or a mining company's forcible venture into Tibetans' land, there's a time lag that makes many feel it's worth the risk, imo. It's not that Beijing wouldn't be sluggish/disinterested anyway, in many cases, but even in cases where the perp knows Beijing will eventually put a stop to it, there's still a window of money-making/landgrabbing/textbook-napping opportunity.

Right now, the government (either by design or default) feels the balancing act has been workable: excesses --> local trouble --> squash people & information, go to next square. But as we can see over the past five years, the local troubles have galvanized into regional and now finally nationwide trouble, i.e. Tibetans more than ever see themselves as a besieged nation, from Ngari to Kumbum. This kind of solidarity is a completely new game, and not one every occupational force wins. If things flip and Tibet becomes India's toy instead of China's, the Chinese people will have the Party to blame--mainly for its having allowed Chinese businesses and cadres to inflict these excesses, with impunity, for 60 years.
    pommesetoranges
  • @Sile I'd love to visit China, but wouldn't want to be a citizen of the country. A one-party government like that can't help but be currupt and paranoid and that means the little guy gets trampled. Those doomed to eternal "outsider" status such as ethnic minorities don't stand much of a chance, do they?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    caz said:

Dakini said:

It would be good to have material presented by an independent Western historian, rather than a guy reading a script written by the Chinese.

1. It said there were only 2 million Tibetans in Tibet when China invaded, but there were 8 million according to other estimates (including the Tibetan Gov't In Exile's).

2. China bases it's claim to Tibet on the fact that Tibet was part of "China" in the Yuan Dynasty. But the Yuan Dynasty was when the Mongols annexed China and Tibet to make them part of the Mongol Empire. And prior to the Yuan, "China" had been conquered by the Jurchens (the so-called Jin Dynasty), who were the early Manchus (they later renamed themselves in honor of Manjushri), so even then, "China" was a conquered territory incorporated into a greatly expanded Manchuria. China can't claim Tibet under the Yuan, because it was the Mongols who took over Tibet, not the Chinese, who themselves were vassals of the Mongols at that time.

3. Tibet actually conquered China at the peak of Tibet's empire. Notice that they left that out.

4. I see China couldn't resist including a jab at India, trying to justify its claim to NE India's Arunachal Pradesh on the basis that it used to belong to Tibet. Though that's irrelevant to the film topic. It just shows what a blatant propaganda piece this is.

5. Too bad China's using the Dorje Shugden controversy (the NKT monks carrying banners saying, "Dalai Lama Stop Lying") to bolster its position. Sad mess that is.

The round white "tents" the showed toward the end, saying some Tibetans prefer to live in tents rathern than government-built housing, were Mongol yurts. Tibetan tents are black yak-hair arrangements of a completely different shape. Could the government have issued Tibetans traditional Mongol dwellings, or was that short clip shot in Inner Mongolia? :scratch:

Not that any of this invalidates the view of life in Tibet that was presented. But someone really needs to do a better job.

5. Is false, the campaign for religious freedom and political activity between the Chinese and Tibetans are very much separate.
    The fact that the film showed NKT protesters with "Dalai Lama Stop Lying" posters is not false. My point was that they are separate, and China (or its surrogates/spokespeople/whoever) is shamelessly using footage of NKT protests as an attempt to imply that there is now growing generalized and very vocal opposition to the DL.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Dakini said:

caz said:

Dakini said:

The fact that the film showed NKT protesters with "Dalai Lama Stop Lying" posters is not false. My point was that they are separate, and China (or its surrogates/spokespeople/whoever) is shamelessly using footage of NKT protests as an attempt to imply that there is now growing generalized and very vocal opposition to the DL.

If Dalai lama dropped this particular issue then all would be silent. :)
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Cinorjer said:

@Sile I'd love to visit China, but wouldn't want to be a citizen of the country. A one-party government like that can't help but be currupt and paranoid and that means the little guy gets trampled. Those doomed to eternal "outsider" status such as ethnic minorities don't stand much of a chance, do they?

Well, 60 years ago the plan was (or eventually became) one to fully assimilate Tibetans as "Chinese," but that has not happened. So, the future of assimilation is far from assured.

Ironically, Mao's original plan, according to him, was not to assimilate anybody, but instead to convince Tibet, as a separate republic of some kind, to join China in a sort of Asian version of the European Union.

Quotes on the above are to be found in collections of Mao's public communications; I'll dig up a reference for this "Tibet as a republic" idea. If I recall correctly, it is from his earlier writings/communications; obviously over time, a policy of occupation by force was publicly stated.
  • caz said:

If Dalai lama dropped this particular issue then all would be silent. :)

Yes, I don't even try to understand it, I steer clear of it.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Amazing voice. The optimism of youth, combined with the wisdom of elders, is a powerful combination.

Inspired by a poem from the 10th Panchen Lama:

The all-seeing Panchen Rinpoche said…
    If you are ashamed to speak Tibetan
    You don’t have to speak it
    If you are ashamed to wear Tibetan dress
    You don’t have to wear it
    Nevertheless
    What will you do about your flesh and bones?

(Translation: High Peaks Pure Earth)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Let's just keep one thing in perspective. There are lots of opinions being stated here about what's "right" for Tibet and Tibetans...by people who have never been to Tibet (there may be an exception here and there), who have never known a Tibetan (again, there may be an exception here and there), and by people who have only read other people's positions about the situation.

I'm not saying no one should state an opinion. Indeed, having and stating an opinion is fine. Just not let's kid ourselves that they are truly informed opinions.
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited January 2013
    i feel like not interviewing the people that live in tibet such as the once "slaves" and the monks is a very vital part of this controversy. we see in this modern world that there is alot of pollution that comes with modernization. also in china alot of their waters are polluted and in the mountains around tibet is alot of fresh water so maybe the chinese just wanted tibet because they have polluted everything over there? without a doubt greed has played a role in this. also china abducted one of tibets lamas when he was a child and we havnt heard much from him at all.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2013
    vinlyn said:

Let's just keep one thing in perspective. There are lots of opinions being stated here about what's "right" for Tibet and Tibetans...by people who have never been to Tibet (there may be an exception here and there), who have never known a Tibetan (again, there may be an exception here and there), and by people who have only read other people's positions about the situation.

I'm not saying no one should state an opinion. Indeed, having and stating an opinion is fine. Just not let's kid ourselves that they are truly informed opinions.

Who has opined here about what's right for Tibetans? I missed that. I thought the thread was discussing history and propaganda.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Dakini said:

vinlyn said:

Who has opined here about what's right for Tibetans? I missed that. I thought the thread was discussing history and propaganda.

:coffee:
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    This is blatant propaganda and the guy who made this is a biggot, he is just defending China because he is Biased because he is obsessed with Chinese culture.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

This is blatant propaganda and the guy who made this is a biggot, he is just defending China because he is Biased because he is obsessed with Chinese culture.

IMO anyone who takes a stance on a political issue and tries to publicize his/her stance can be accused of being a propagandist.

If I believe that global climate change is a threat to humanity and try to get people to agree with me, I am spreading anthropogenic climate change propaganda, even if it may be for a noble cause.