Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Family History

The Chinese take their culture very seriously, and it's inspired me to trace my family roots. Now, this has not been very easy, because I'm a mix-blooded American. My mother is a third generation Korean and British, and my father was a 2nd generation Barbadian.

I traveled to Ellis Island in New York many years ago and researched my father's last name: Molyneaux, and traced a family patence for it, being French. I theorized that the mix happened during the slave trade, since Barbados was a colonized Caribbean island where many Africans were taken in transit to the Americas by the Europeans. My father's side was probably given the last name of the slave master, however, that is still a legitimate blood-line to the French if a slave master procreated with a female slave.

I, however, did not get the French surname "Molyneaux"; I received the name: Norton, because I was born out of wedlock. My name's Mike Norton. Norton is a British last name, and the mix with Korean happened sometime around the Korean war, since the Norton family has served throughout many wars for the United States.

My Korean surname would be Huang, but through marriage under western rules, that name was bumped off.

When I myself was serving in the military, there was an actual military sponsored agency that was permitted to advertise their researching services to us at a reasonable cost. I paid them to do the footwork that I couldn't, and they found the Norton patence and family sword, making for me a general replica of British swords of the age the patence was made, and engraving it with the Norton patence. I did a lot of the homework myself, so I do know that the patence is real, even if the sword was generic.

Now, my dilemma lies in the fact that I do don't really know what family to represent. Here in China, I've been asked several times about my lineage, because I look wierd. I don't look entirely black; I don't look entirely anything, so I get a lot of curious questions about my heritage, and honestly, I don't know what to tell them. African blacks and American blacks are pretty much two separate races now, like Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, because Africa is a continent that is generally at war with itself with many different tribes and governments. Yet if you were to ask the average African American what tribe they descend from, or what part of Africa they come from, they generally wouldn't be able to answer you, because of their lineage dates back to the slave days, all of that information was discarded to the wind by the slave masters.

What I want to do, is draw up my own brand new patence, and choose a family weapon of my own making (I've been a martial artist for 11 years). I'd like to know what you guys think of this.

Through a series of very unfortunate events, I was actually disowned from the rest of the Norton bloodline, so I'm actually on my own out here. If I start a family...it'll be an entirely new chapter. Am I morally wrong to abandon the traditional patences and start a fresh new one (or even take a new name, possibly), or should I stick to tradition with the same patence?

...I never thought about any of this until I started living in China.

Comments

• So many things. So attached.
    A slave to the past? Proud of your heritage? Time to move on?
    Just so you know. The questions are for your contemplation. More egoic display is not really required . . . Or is it? Apologies for any distress but you sound like a big boy. :wave:
  • novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
    edited January 2013
    @lobster I was wondering about that. I've said in other posts that controlling the ego has been a problem for me. Lesson learned. It's hard to think clearly sometimes. I meant no absolutely no harm.
    lobster
    edited January 2013
    Often, I'm afraid to post anything at all. This is why I dissapear from the forums for months at a time in between posting anything. I really was seeking a genuine answer, but you are right on all fronts: this was an egotistical post that can really help no one but myself.

I am a slave to the past, and carry much emotional weight on my shoulders. Even if I do not mean to let it show, it does, both in what I write and say, and what I don't write and say. As if I were a boy screaming for attention, though still devoid of malevolence. It is time to move on, though this is easier said that than done, believe me.

"The only way to know thyself is through the eyes of the other." -Cloud Atlas

The bright side is, that at least people like you keep me honest and aware of whatever ego problems I may have.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • If anything, I hope this post can at least be an example of what -not- to do in following right speech.
    Brian
  • novaw0lf said:

@lobster I was wondering about that. I've said in other posts that controlling the ego has been a problem for me. Lesson learned. It's hard to think clearly sometimes. I meant no absolutely no harm.

Hey this was the first thing that sparked my interest in Buddhism @novaw0lf, some friends pointed out my ego and selfish parts of my personality to which I was angry at and of course in denial for a while. It is natural to have an ego and all sorts of things can inflate that ego, the fact that you can see that it is a problem and needs to be addressed is a sign that you are already moving at a steady pace in the right direction?

We all have shackles of the past too, some greater than others granted, but there are shackles there ready to close on us at anytime. I have seen my own father go through suffering because he knows nothing of his family roots as he was adopted. He has chosen to address things in an unwise manner IMO, he does not abuse drugs or alcohol, but he suppresses it which causes a lot of issues which have been passed down to me and my sister. So again, like yesterday there should be a middle way here I think. one should not get wrapped up in this kind of thing and attach to it like an octopus on steroids, but then again to totally ignore it or strive to keep out any feelings and emotions linked to it is also unwise.
  • Don't worry about it. @lobster has been going on at every chance about being a Buddha this year. Talk about crying out for attention. We are all egotistical. Right, lobster?
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • Please don't disappear.
    You say many valuable things. Your history is not irrelevant. It is why you have the capacity to empower and enable understanding in me and others. Your experience gives you unique insight. Don't waste it in silence. :wave:
    edited January 2013
    robot said:

We are all egotistical.

I agree with this, but there's something else I'd like to add to that. When my memoir was first published, it was not well received by a large audience of people. In fact, it got a three-star rating on Barnes & Noble, split 50/50. Half loved it; half hated it. What I gained from the experience, that I'd actually recommend everyone to do, is memoir. Journal. Do something. Let others see you for who you truly are. Write. Show yourself. Even if you're the biggest egomaniac in the world, those who read it will let you know, and this, I've found, is the quickest way to seeing yourself for who you truly are.

Yes, we are all egotistical. And this definitely showed in the first edition of what I wrote (which has been taken off the market), because growing up the way I did was like navigating the seven seas without a compass, but I was determined to find the right path, no matter how painful the journey may be in reading the harsher critiques of my personality.

For those seeking truth, for those who seek to know their selves truly, I actually say that it's -healthy- to take the social risk of sticking out and saying something. They say that the nail that sticks out the most gets hammered, but there is really no more of an effective way that I've found of finding truth about who you really are then to put who you are in the spotlight.

If you are egotistical, yes it will show; if you're screaming for attention, yes it will show; if you're a downright bigoted right-wing extremist racist, yes...it will show. However, if we do not run from the pain of being exposed in our wanting, our flaws, and we do not parry the honest and unbiased opinions of others with defense mechanisms (because the truth hurts, and it's natural to defend oneself against it; this is how and why we lie to ourselves and block our own path to enlightenment without realizing it), then we can spiritually "level-up" so to speak...extremely quickly.

This is probably the most painful and often the most embarrassing process, yet ironically the most effective, I've discovered. This post originally started off as something egotistical, but I hope those who read it also read our comments below and find that there -is- something to take from this whole ordeal. There always is.
    lobster said:

Please don't disappear.
    You say many valuable things. Your history is not irrelevant. It is why you have the capacity to empower and enable understanding in me and others. Your experience gives you unique insight. Don't waste it in silence. :wave:

Thanks.

edited January 2013
    In addition, those who memoir, write poetry, and such...are quite literally writing history for other generations to learn from in the future. Let the world see your flaws, and let the world become better for it.

We may be all egotistical, but I believe that there is truth in that we are all important and vital to the universe in our own way.
    lobster
  • Don't worry about it. @lobster has been going on at every chance about being a Buddha this year. Talk about crying out for attention. We are all egotistical. Right, lobster?
    As I am attending to your post, it must be so . . .
    Attention starvation is a need, it requires food. It is part of the Middle Way. If we do not attend to the social and psychological need for attention, we end up damaged. However unless this component can be integrated into the requirements of a group, it becomes counterproductive. So the goal of buddhism is what? Psychological and social education? Attention fulfilment? Waking up? I sincerely hope others will decide to become Buddhas, this year or sooner . . . What will we say to such ego maniacs, especially if they 'attain'? :thumbsup:
    As far as I am concerned, anyone who is able to examine and realise the requirements and downside of the ego is gaining potential insight.
    There are other ways of looking at this. Cage changing. That is swapping in one set of characteristics for more subtle or refined ones.
    Allowing the egoic aspects to 'burn themselves out', so the true nature becomes active.
    Observing the arisings and making a conscious choice of intuitive expression.
    . . . Maybe I will just become a Buddha and find the right way . . .
    :clap:
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    novaw0lf said:

The Chinese take their culture very seriously, and it's inspired me to trace my family roots. Now, this has not been very easy, because I'm a mix-blooded American. My mother is a third generation Korean and British, and my father was a 2nd generation Barbadian.

I traveled to Ellis Island in New York many years ago and researched my father's last name: Molyneaux, and traced a family patence for it, being French. I theorized that the mix happened during the slave trade, since Barbados was a colonized Caribbean island where many Africans were taken in transit to the Americas by the Europeans. My father's side was probably given the last name of the slave master, however, that is still a legitimate blood-line to the French if a slave master procreated with a female slave.

I, however, did not get the French surname "Molyneaux"; I received the name: Norton, because I was born out of wedlock. My name's Mike Norton. Norton is a British last name, and the mix with Korean happened sometime around the Korean war, since the Norton family has served throughout many wars for the United States.

My Korean surname would be Huang, but through marriage under western rules, that name was bumped off.

When I myself was serving in the military, there was an actual military sponsored agency that was permitted to advertise their researching services to us at a reasonable cost. I paid them to do the footwork that I couldn't, and they found the Norton patence and family sword, making for me a general replica of British swords of the age the patence was made, and engraving it with the Norton patence. I did a lot of the homework myself, so I do know that the patence is real, even if the sword was generic.

Now, my dilemma lies in the fact that I do don't really know what family to represent. Here in China, I've been asked several times about my lineage, because I look wierd. I don't look entirely black; I don't look entirely anything, so I get a lot of curious questions about my heritage, and honestly, I don't know what to tell them. African blacks and American blacks are pretty much two separate races now, like Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, because Africa is a continent that is generally at war with itself with many different tribes and governments. Yet if you were to ask the average African American what tribe they descend from, or what part of Africa they come from, they generally wouldn't be able to answer you, because of their lineage dates back to the slave days, all of that information was discarded to the wind by the slave masters.

What I want to do, is draw up my own brand new patence, and choose a family weapon of my own making (I've been a martial artist for 11 years). I'd like to know what you guys think of this.

Through a series of very unfortunate events, I was actually disowned from the rest of the Norton bloodline, so I'm actually on my own out here. If I start a family...it'll be an entirely new chapter. Am I morally wrong to abandon the traditional patences and start a fresh new one (or even take a new name, possibly), or should I stick to tradition with the same patence?

...I never thought about any of this until I started living in China.

@novaw0lf - First of all, I'd like to say that your family history is very interesting and seems very deep. I have also been interested in tracing my family's roots lately, and it's a very interesting journey so far, but I haven't gotten as far as you have! Not that Chinese families have weapons or patences (as far as I know)...

Anyways, to address the core of your post: I don't believe that it's "morally wrong" to abandon your traditional patence (but I'm not very familiar with English genealogy and traditions). It depends on how you feel - do you feel a strong affiliation with it? If not, then I don't see why you couldn't just go off and start your own line.

Do you feel the need to identify with one particular part of your ancestry (e.g. English/Barbadian/Korean)?

There's no real need to adhere to tradition for the sake of tradition if you don't feel affiliated with it in any way.

This wasn't a very "Buddhist" post, but just my two cents.
    edited January 2013

@novaw0lf - First of all, I'd like to say that your family history is very interesting and seems very deep. I have also been interested in tracing my family's roots lately, and it's a very interesting journey so far, but I haven't gotten as far as you have! Not that Chinese families have weapons or patences (as far as I know)...

Anyways, to address the core of your post: I don't believe that it's "morally wrong" to abandon your traditional patence (but I'm not very familiar with English genealogy and traditions). It depends on how you feel - do you feel a strong affiliation with it? If not, then I don't see why you couldn't just go off and start your own line.

Do you feel the need to identify with one particular part of your ancestry (e.g. English/Barbadian/Korean)?

There's no real need to adhere to tradition for the sake of tradition if you don't feel affiliated with it in any way.

Thank you for your kind words.

Honestly, I feel very insecure and trapped between three different worlds. It is as lobster said:
    lobster said:

so many attachments...

In black families, from my personal experience, one is greatly guilt tripped for representing any culture other than black, if they have any black in them at all. I theorize that its remnant bad innate mental wiring from the One Drop Rule that we as a people have yet to psychologically recover from. Yet paradoxically, one who has mixed features (lighter skin, naturally wavy or straight hair, or colored eyes other than dark brown) is thought to be very physically attractive.

Again, I reiterate lobster's words by saying that I have bad mental wiring that I've been combating for years because of this.

I was picked on -greatly- by other black children as a child because of my features and foreign upbringing. Black kids who start off in rich families, then because of financial misfortune who socially fall to lower incomes and therein more predominantly black schools (an epidemic that plagues America, for education should be the same everywhere for every race) who speak differently, and demonstrate eccentricities like writing Asian calligraphy in class stick out like a sore thumb. Sore thumbs get noticed, and not in a good way.

I'm aware that it exists, and just want to be free of it. I feel as if completely disconnecting from such is a good way to let go of the past and start completely anew; though, I cannot help but feel extreme guilt for even thinking so. This is the true motivation for this post, to seek an answer, not to show off a mixed or deep heritage. I'm greatly sorry if I seemed egotistical; I was merely listing the full details of my research for the sake of the forum's understanding, I just thought that the Buddhists here would be more than experienced in the relinquishing the vestiges of dead mental weight, so I posted this to seek guidance.

Invincible_summer
  • A diamond does not sparkle because of its clarity but because of its flaws.
    A rich variety of experiences, good or bad, gives us a depth of practice material and wisdom. It is in recognizing how to transform imagined obstacles, past suffering and the huge baggage we all have, that progress can be enabled. The greatest battle is not in overcoming others, situations or our personal goals. It is far harder than that. We have to make peace with ourselves . . . . :)