Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you believe is possible for you?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited January 2013 in General Banter
There are some stories in Buddhism, aren't there? Levitating practitioners, rainbow bodhis, mad elephant taming and chopping wood. I will be a Buddha in 2013, not so much a belief when looking back from 2014 but a certainty. Maybe start by becoming a stream entrant for February 2013 . . . :)
What do you believe is possible for your situation, in this body, this set of circumstances? What extraordinary things might you feel you can accomplish? How soon? Is Buddhism about change? What change are you aiming towards? Should we be unreasonable or just take up knitting?
Maybe start with a life retreat . . .
http://www.liferetreat.me/teachers/

Comments

• I believe anything is possible for me, within the limit of my own creativity, knowledge, and willpower.
    Jeffreylobster
  • II'm just going to wait and see what the practice mandala brings. It's not all about me.
    lobsternovaw0lfThailandTom
  • I just want to be able to see reality without adding my own stories. Big order, but doable.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I feel that Buddhism both *is* and *isn't* about change - we all have Buddha-nature, we just need to engage with it. That engagement can "change" us, depending on how engaged we were with it previously.

I'm not specifically aiming for any sort of changes... I mean I'd like to be more compassionate, less judgmental, etc. But I don't actively try to cultivate those things (at least I don't think so).

Although Buddhist stories provide plenty of metaphors for the limitless potential (any NIN fans?) of those who have become "awake," I do believe that humans are usually limited by their social and physical circumstances. Yes, there may be some extraordinary examples of crippled people walking again and impoverished drug addicts turning their lives around, but it is somewhat unskillful IMO to have the attitude that "anything is possible if you just believe" and tell paraplegic children they can walk if they believe in themselves. It's like "the Secret" or something.

I know that's not what you're saying, @lobster, just commenting on the discourse of "we are only limited by our own minds." It's a slippery slope.

lobsterThailandTomsukhita
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2013
    interesting . . . People are already placing practice in the now above orientation . . . Seems like right view . . . :clap:
    http://www.viewonbuddhism.org/resources/prayers.html#2
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    "What do you believe is possible for you?"
    The end of suffering, to lay down this burden we all carry. To see life as it is and not believe the stories created by this mind. To know everything, the good, the bad and in between is my life and to be okay with that.
    lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I think stream entry in this life time is achievable.
    lobster
  • I dont know whats possible i use to think i was rather dumb and ugly but heres me now with a university degree and the most beautiful fiance ever, so i wouldnt like to say what is possible. I would hope to give my anxiety the boot so i can focus my energies on helpin others not just in my job. Although maybe i should just except my anxieties are me and help others more anyway lol

Jeffrey
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I would just like to get to the point where my mind is better able to withstand the unpredictable nature of life. Basically, not be moved by the eight winds, as they say... Lately the poem of the daruma doll is just resonating a little too much.
    "Such is life - Seven times down, eight times up."

I think this might be feasible. I don't know about the rest.
    Jeffrey
  • Adhigatamidam bahuhi
    Amatamajjapica labhaniyamidam
    Yo yoniso payunjati
    Na ca sakka aghatamanena

Sumedha Theri
    (Theri gatha)

Many have won THIS- the DEATHLESS

And still today it can be won

If with wise endeavour one perseveres

But not if one is averse to endeavour!
    lobster
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Let go of possibilities.
    Start knitting.
    lobsterVastmindstill_learning
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

I just want to be able to see reality without adding my own stories. Big order, but doable.

Why?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Wisdom23 said:

I would hope to give my anxiety the boot so i can focus my energies on helpin others not just in my job. Although maybe i should just except my anxieties are me and help others more anyway lol

Ah, you may find that helping others actually will help your anxiety. I find I can only think about one person at a time, so if I'm helping someone, it's them I'm thinking of. Taking my mind off myself and my own little problems helps me be less anxious.

We don't go helping others purely for their benefit you know!

:o
  • Gui said:

Start knitting.

surprised to see this post
    because
    i came to the computer after knitting
    and that knitting has stopped for a long time

how strange?
    no
    it is not strange

:)