Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Making sense of Christianity

Hi all, so heres my theory: The notion of heaven and hell in christianity refer to the hell realms and the brahma realms of existence. So by following a moral life of loving compassion one can aspire to be reborn into the brahma or heaven realm. Then in terms of the Bile I think those guys were tapped into some jhana interpreting what they were seeing as the word of "God." When it comes to Jesus I Think he was enlightened but he did not think the people were capable of reaching that in their current situations. So he taught them a path to bring them to a rebirth in the brahma realm where they could then reach enlightenment. What do you guys think?

Comments

• I think Shakyamuni was a man who struggled to become Enlightened and Jesus was Enlightenment become a struggling man. Same coin. Buddhists might be interested in the figure of Nathaniel, one of Jesus's disciples of whom Jesus said: “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.” (John 1:44). He is an interesting figure from the Buddhist perspective.

• What do you guys think?

Is this based on the results of your investigations or just day dreaming?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Christianity posits something else -- God, people, heaven, hell, learning, ignorance, etc. -- something else.

Buddhism doesn't posit or seek or pray for or agree with or disagree with anything else.
  • Idk about what I think anymore about Christianity.

I feel what most religions call for is a rexamination of what our lives and our relationship or lack of relationship with the sacred.

And in that sense the Christians have their tools, forms, and interpretation of what the sacred is and how they relate to it.

So it really depends on what perspective we are viewing things from.

If we try to make sense of Christianity from the point of Buddhism, we are just bastardizing and not honoring that Christianity is Christianity.

I used to interpret and do exactly what you're proposing.

But to be honest with real practice and by living life in the dharma, we just come to an appreciation of all the forms and expressions. But hey whatever works right?
    Invincible_summer
  • GuiGui Veteran
    IMO, comparing god-centered religion/philosopy with Buddhism is probably a mistake. The Christian god is an Other. This is the most important thing about Christianity. The idea of an Other doesn't come up, to my understanding, in Buddhism.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Hi all, so heres my theory: The notion of heaven and hell in christianity refer to the hell realms and the brahma realms of existence. So by following a moral life of loving compassion one can aspire to be reborn into the brahma or heaven realm. Then in terms of the Bile I think those guys were tapped into some jhana interpreting what they were seeing as the word of "God." When it comes to Jesus I Think he was enlightened but he did not think the people were capable of reaching that in their current situations. So he taught them a path to bring them to a rebirth in the brahma realm where they could then reach enlightenment. What do you guys think?

It seems to me that you're just trying to put your preferred religion above another religion.

Zero
  • @ vinlyn: What I am trying to do is make sense of all the various religions, because they all say different things, yet there is only one absolute reality. I think there is truth to be found in every religion. However with buddhism that truth is much more accessible in my opinion. By the way I was raised christian and went to christian schools my whole life, I didn't discover buddhism until a year ago.
    blu3ree
  • I think that christians who are highly realized such as Trappist Monks, if asked to define God would give a definition that was in tune with the absolute and emptiness, a pantheistic view most likely.
    Tosh
  • I think that christians who are highly realized such as Trappist Monks, if asked to define God would give a definition that was in tune with the absolute and emptiness, a pantheistic view most likely.

Thomas Merton (the trappist monk) and the young Dalai Lama seemed to see eye-to-eye.
    You asked what we thought, I told you what I thought.
    Invincible_summer
  • thankyou vinlyn
  • There is also the whole direct knowledge vs. no direct knowledge thing, right? If you don't have direct knowledge then there's not much validity in what you are positing. Same thing that gets applied to Christianity gets applied to Buddhism.

• ....yet there is only one absolute reality.

Keep that as a question rather than an answer.
    Lucy_Begood
  • say more about that, if you will zero?
    tikaL2o6 said:

There is also the whole direct knowledge vs. no direct knowledge thing, right? If you don't have direct knowledge then there's not much validity in what you are positing. Same thing that gets applied to Christianity gets applied to Buddhism.

Ah, and there is the key -- applying the same rules when interpreting one religion as you do your own.

• Fair is fair.
    vinlyn
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited February 2013

say more about that, if you will zero?

I can see what you mean by 'absolute reality' in the context of your post but then if I do, I seem to walk into a minefield.
    So then the absolute reality becomes a truth which is then a subjective test.

I have this feeling like when you're approaching a blind corner on the road - you can take it much faster and you know it - the tyres have the grip... but, what if - so prudence holds you back a little and probably saves a life or two now and again.
    edited February 2013
    What I am trying to do is make sense of all the various religions, because they all say different things, yet there is only one absolute reality.
    @wicked_good_kamma -- Seriously, and without disrespect, how do you know this? Sure, the Vedas (like other texts) say, "Truth is one. Wise men call it by many names," but the Vedas and a couple of bucks will get you a bus ride.

Everyone begins spiritual endeavor with belief and hope. Good stuff -- very inspiring, perhaps. But even a shallow examination will reveal that belief and hope only reach so far. They are limited, while the peace of mind anyone might seek is not.

There is a difference between believing you can ride and bike and riding a bike. Belief may inspire practice and thus be a very good thing. But once having learned to ride, no one in their right mind bothers believing they can ride a bike: That would be a waste
    of time.

So... "absolute reality" may be very inspiring, very cozy, or very meaningful in some limited sense, but maybe it is more important to ride the bike you believe in... practice and see what happens.
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • I believe that I can ride a bike.
    Begin_Being
  • @ vinlyn: What I am trying to do is make sense of all the various religions, because they all say different things, yet there is only one absolute reality. I think there is truth to be found in every religion. However with buddhism that truth is much more accessible in my opinion. By the way I was raised christian and went to christian schools my whole life, I didn't discover buddhism until a year ago.

Religions have things in common as they were all created by humans who have been looking for answers to similar questions. I think that they all do perhaps illuminate some piece of the truth. However, the exact nature of that truth, and how much of that truth each religion understands correctly are things that as humans, we can't know for certain.

While religions have certain things in common, and no religion/culture has a monopoly on good hearted wise people, they can also have some pretty fundamental differences. I'm not sure it's possible to unite them in the way you seem to be suggesting -- some things just don't gel. I fear that by trying to have a universal sort of approach to the world's religions, we lose what makes them all individual, unique, and vibrant. It forces them to be pulled way out of context in some cases, in a way they weren't intended to be.

That doesn't mean that people can't or shouldn't be inspired by aspects of other religions, but you may not be able to make them agree with each other in a satisfying way.
  • @ genkaku, I know there is an absolute reality because when one starts proposing a duality or a polyality things start falling apart. There is one truth, with infinite means to access it, but there is still just one, it's the way things are. The way things are is absolute reality, out mental constructs give rise to the notion of a duality, the reason I know is with the logic of dependent origination, one can ultimately trace everything back to nothing aka the absolute. And I know this is me using my shitty human mind to try and derive an explanation of something that can't be understood with logic but it makes sense lol
  • tikaL2o6tikaL2o6 Explorer
    edited February 2013

The way things are is absolute reality, out mental constructs give rise to the notion of a duality, the reason I know is with the logic of dependent origination, one can ultimately trace everything back to nothing aka the absolute.

Hey, just out of curiosity, how did you come to the conclusion that, according to dependent origination, everything ultimately comes into being out of nothing?

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Gui said:

IMO, comparing god-centered religion/philosopy with Buddhism is probably a mistake. The Christian god is an Other. This is the most important thing about Christianity. The idea of an Other doesn't come up, to my understanding, in Buddhism.

Not all Christians believe God is necessarily an "other." The concept of a god can be re-interpreted in ways that are fairly compatible with non-theistic beliefs.

Pure Land Buddhism/Shin Buddhism are good examples of this.

@ genkaku, I know there is an absolute reality because when one starts proposing a duality or a polyality things start falling apart. There is one truth, with infinite means to access it, but there is still just one, it's the way things are. The way things are is absolute reality, out mental constructs give rise to the notion of a duality, the reason I know is with the logic of dependent origination, one can ultimately trace everything back to nothing aka the absolute. And I know this is me using my shitty human mind to try and derive an explanation of something that can't be understood with logic but it makes sense lol

I think @genkaku's point is: stop thinking/talking about it and just sit.
    And I know this is me using my shitty human mind
    @wicked_good_kamma -- In my opinion, this is a common mistake in Buddhist practice -- recognizing that the monkey mind can raise all sorts of difficulties in this life and then concluding that this jibber-jabber mind is somehow bad or naughty or a second-class citizen who deserves to be dropped off at the furthest possible desert island.

This is a big mistake. The mind can be a real pain in the tush, but let's take a moment to recall that that same hell-raising, confusion-creating, attachment-prone mind is the one that suggested a Buddhist practice in the first place. Without that erratic, pain-in-the-ass mind, we'd all be in the soup.

Briefly stated, thinking is not only OK, it's really a pretty good idea. Trying to get rid of the thinking mind or the ego or whatever you want to call it falls into precisely the same trap as clinging to the thinking mind or ego or whatever ... it elevates and protects gives substance to what cannot be found in the first place.

Swami Vivekananda once observed, "The mind [he meant intellect] is a good servant and a poor master." On hearing this, some run away into a la-la land inhabited by an imaginary god or ineffable something-or-other who is the "good master." But this misses the point: The point is to patiently and courageously pay attention ... to take responsibility ... to see what actually happens. Use the good servant ... just don't confuse that servant with a master that cannot be limited by intellect or emotion.

And who is that master?

Well, there's always the bathroom mirror. :)

lobsterInvincible_summer
  • JosephWJosephW Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Trying to form completely opposite paths assuming that they are related in some abstract long shot way is a big mistake... The only way that they are related is that they are if different human minds searching for answers over many many years, I would say that you are comparing one big flaw to one beautiful working experience. Respect to the Christians by this statement, don't take offense please.
  • Interesting discussion!

Here's a quote I like -

"Like the bee gathering honey from the different flowers, the wise person accepts the essence of the different scriptures and sees only the good in all religions."

~ Gandhi

Have a good one!
    John_Spencervinlynwicked_good_kamma
  • Hi all, so heres my theory: The notion of heaven and hell in christianity refer to the hell realms and the brahma realms of existence. So by following a moral life of loving compassion one can aspire to be reborn into the brahma or heaven realm. Then in terms of the Bile I think those guys were tapped into some jhana interpreting what they were seeing as the word of "God." When it comes to Jesus I Think he was enlightened but he did not think the people were capable of reaching that in their current situations. So he taught them a path to bring them to a rebirth in the brahma realm where they could then reach enlightenment. What do you guys think?

I have heard there is a Buddhist hell too and it is a pretty scary place too. Other religions have hells and heavens too; and it is always very scary down there and nice up there. Heaven or Hell is not much a Buddhist or Christian idea but more a human idea. As for Jesus being enlightened or not, it is never an issue. I suppose Christianity never talks about enlightenment and if there is, there probably is no record on Jesus's thought of the capability of human being to become enlightened. I just know Jesus does not life as long as Buddha, and never go as many far places like Buddha and he died a rather violent death.
    footiam said:

...I just know Jesus does not life as long as Buddha, and never go as many far places like Buddha and he died a rather violent death.

What's your point. I know people who have lived to 100 and traveled further than Buddha. What's that got to do with anything?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You can't 'make sense' of Christianity because it is based on the central premise of a Deity one cannot prove exists.

What I suggest you do, OP is first of all make sense of Buddhism.

Once you have accomplished that, and all it entails, get back to us, and tell us how you've got on.

We could do with a few pointers...... ;)
    Invincible_summer
  • footiam said:

I suppose Christianity never talks about enlightenment and if there is, there probably is no record on Jesus's thought of the capability of human being to become enlightened.

Jesus talks about "The Kingdom of God" and he says it's "within". I think if we look past the language there are similarities. When Jesus says stuff like "Be like small children" it sounds like he's teaching mindfulness or dropping preconceptions; very 'Buddhist' themes.

There is also a school of thought that Jesus had some kind of spiritual awakening and the only cup he had to place his experiences in was the Jewish religion, so he taught what he had learnt using the current language and understanding of the day. And didn't the Buddha do the same? The Buddha had his enlightenment and used the Brahmanic understanding to teach. They say Buddhism is new wine in old bottles.

Thich Naht Hahn also wrote a whole book on the subject (Living Buddha Living Christ).
    Invincible_summer
  • edited February 2013

Check this out it's pretty wild!
    The Title is "Jesus was a Buddhist monk: BBC Documentary"
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited February 2013
    black_tea said:

Religions have things in common as they were all created by humans who have been looking for answers to similar questions. I think that they all do perhaps illuminate some piece of the truth. However, the exact nature of that truth, and how much of that truth each religion understands correctly are things that as humans, we can't know for certain.

I believe you are wrong about this, and clearly you don't know you are right. Why not be more optimistic? Buddhists believe that it is possible to know 'the exact nature of that truth', and 'The Unknown is not the Unknowable' say the Upanishads. (Ps. Religions do not understand truths, people do).

On the topic - I'd recommend the Nag Hammadi Library to anyone who'se not read it, and in particular the Gospel of Mary. Also Keith Ward's 'God - A Guide for the Perplexed', where he makes it clear that Christianity did not begin as naive monotheism, having, rather, a subtle and almost atheistic approach to God. It's just that most Christians have no idea how drastically their doctrine has been changed by human interventions such as the Council of Nicea and by the requirements of the various Christian empires who have exploited it. Mind you, this is changing fast as the internet makes it easy to study the early church.