Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Contentment and Happiness

IF you had to choose, would you rather be happy or content?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    It could be argued that they are the same thing.
    JeffreyInvincible_summerfedericaNirvana
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I see them as different. I've been both (and neither), though at different times. Each has a pleasure all its own. But, I don't think it's advisable to always settle for contentment over happiness.
    Bunks
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited January 2013
    contentment is true wealth

i view contentment as not wanting for anything and that is the place i would choose to be

i think happiness is fleeting and would leave a person wanting more
    Jeffrey
  • Gosh neither.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    taiyaki said:

Gosh neither.

??
  • Bunks said:

taiyaki said:

Gosh neither.

??
    Imagine being anything.

Imagine wanting to be happy.

Imagine wanting to be content.

And imagine actually being happy.

And imagine actually being content.

Those sound absolutely terrible =].
    Beej
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I don't think "wanting" was mentioned in the post but I get your point........(I think :hair: )
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Happy or content?
    Having to choose one or the other, sounds like neither.
    Both are over rated, often offered as a blessing but usually sound to me like an opiate for attachment..
    Better to let "happy" & "content" freely come and go of their own accord unless you wish to add suffering to the mix.
    BeejInvincible_summerJeffrey
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Bunks said:

I don't think "wanting" was mentioned in the post but I get your point........(I think :hair: )

Neither, because he knows that neither will last. And Buddhists want things to last. I surely do. Good things that is.
  • If one is content, one is happy.
    lobster
  • No content in emptiness? Know happiness as suffering? No rest for the wicked?

Like a circle in a spiral
    Like a wheel within a wheel
    Never ending or beginning
    On an ever spinning reel

The Windmills Of Your Mind
  • To be contented puts one beyond sukha and dukkha.
    The Buddha taught that even your happiness is dukkha, a Pali word meaning "suffering" or "unsatisfactoriness." It is inseparable from its opposite. This means that your happiness and unhappiness are in fact one. Only the illusion of time separates them.

This is not being negative. It is simply recognizing the nature of things so that you don't pursue an illusion for the rest of your life. Nor is it saying that you should no longer appreciate pleasant or beautiful things or conditions. But to seek something through them that they cannot give – an identity, a sense of permanency and fulfillment – is a recipe for frustration and suffering. The whole consumer society would collapse if people became enlightened and no longer sought their identity through things. The more you seek happiness this way, the more it will elude you. Nothing out there will ever satisfy you, except temporarily and superficially, but you may need to experience much disillusionment before you realize that truth.

A Buddhist monk once told me, "All I have learned in the 20 years that I have been a monk I can sum up in one sentence: All that arises passes away. This I know." What he meant, of course, was this: I have learned to offer no resistance to what is; I have learned to allow the present moment to be and to accept the impermanent nature of all things and conditions. Thus have I found peace.

http://www.commonground.ca/iss/201/cg201_eckhart.shtml
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    happtentment. thats what i'm choosing. :thumbsup:
    ToshZero
  • charirama said:

contentment is true wealth,

not wanting for anything

:)
  • your question is an oxymoron.
    you cant be happy without contentment.
    if you are contented, how can you be unhappy?
    Gui said:

• GuiGui Veteran
    hermitwin said:

your question is an oxymoron.
    you cant be happy without contentment.
    if you are contented, how can you be unhappy?

Gui said:

Most times I am content, I am content to not be happy as part of it.
  • It can be hard not to get caught up in semantics with this one. Content seems to suggest a focus on an inner peace from relying on human values like, love, compassion and tolerance rather than happy from any external situation.
    Jeffrey
  • Here's a cartoon I just found -

http://tinyurl.com/bdhsw6w

Could Google Leunig happiness if you felt so inclined ...

Have a good one!
    lobster
  • Thinking about this while reading the replies. Contentment could be seen as the internal experience of being fulfilled and in a state of mindful rest. Happiness could be the outward expression of being content or perhaps only being satisfied with a certain situation at a certain time.

Is that person sat over there content? Impossible to tell because contentment is a state of mind.
    Is that person sat over there happy? You form a judgement based on appearance, emotions, behaviour etc. You still cant tell if they are truly happy but you look for physical evidence to demonstrate happiness.

Contentment and happiness are therefore not one and the same.

Can you be content without being happy? You have no need to be happy if you are content.
    Can you be happy without being content? Yes but happiness is only a temporary state of mind and can be overcome by some other thought or situation than can quickly change that happiness to sadness.

I suppose then, if a choice had to be made, I would rather be content than happy.
  • Gui said:

Old Traditional Jewish saying:
    'Of any two options, choose the third'

I choose bliss . . .
    http://www.homeoint.org/morrell/buddhism/bliss.htm
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    For the French, they are the same, as Brian and several others have already indicated. Contentment is the French word for happiness, or happiness is the English word for the French contentment. I presume we're mostly talking about a state of being rather than transitory fluctuations in mood.
  • Thanks lobster!

I like what the Dalai Lama has 2 say - if you wanna be happy, practice compassion!

http://www.wisdomcommons.org/virtues/22-compassion

Cheers
  • Here's a great little video -

Jeffreyhermitwin
  • thanks geoff, that's a great video.
  • Glad you enjoyed it!

:)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Neither. I would rather be fully aware, fully alive.
    I just listened to a teaching by Pema Chodron about how the goal of Buddhism is NOT to become happy, but to become aware. And free of the need to be happy and the fear of unhappiness.
    Contentment .. happiness ... same thing.
  • another good link.
    now i know how to find happiness.
    brain plasticity...

• "There is a simple way to become a buddha: When you refrain from unwholesome actions, are not attached to birth and death, and are compassionate toward all sentient beings, respectful to seniors and kind to juniors, not excluding or desiring anything, with no designing thoughts or worries, you will be called a buddha. Do not seek anything else."

~ Eihei Dogen, “Birth and Death”

Have a good one!
  • I just extracted this from the following blog post. Basically, it says that we are seeking happiness from the wrong things and from the wrong motivations... see what you think? There is more on the link below but this is just an extract specifically about how we seek happiness...

http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/buddhas-dharma/love-without-agenda.html

Not being aware is a facet of the self-cherishing mind. People, whatever they do if you think about it, the very basis of anyone doing any action from going to the toilet, from taking a nap, from getting dressed, from going out, from conversation with associates, with friends – whatever actions that they do is to bring themselves some kind of happiness or some kind of relief.

That is the ultimate motivation from the smallest ant on the ground who create anthills to the supposedly the highest form of intelligence, ourselves. Every action we do, we don’t need to think about it, we don’t need to generate it – “I want happiness for myself. I want something for myself. I want to gain something for myself.” That is the basic fundamental automatic thought that we have. What happens is if we meditate or if we focus and we think about that, it doesn’t bring us happiness, what we have been doing.

And we may call it diverse or different or hobbies or passions or we can label it anything we want. It’s just a label. Label means that it itself doesn’t exist on its own from its own side. Exist from itself from its own side doesn’t mean the action doesn’t exist. It means the reason for the action and the result of the action doesn’t exist so therefore that action is empty of existence. Please listen very carefully.

When we want to steal from someone, the very motivation of stealing from someone is to gain some kind of happiness. But that stealing from someone is empty of existence. Why? It’s empty of existence because the reason for it will not bear fruit. The very reason you engage in that action will not bear fruit, meaning to have peace, to have happiness, to have wealth, to have respect. So if we cannot get the result of that action and we engage in that action, in Buddhism on this level we call it empty of its existence. So please listen carefully.

“Empty of its existence” doesn’t mean that the action doesn’t exist. It doesn’t mean that the person or the doer or the receiver or the recipient doesn’t exist. It means that the motivation for the action and the reason for the action and outcome – that’s the secret – the outcome we want for the action is empty of existence. Why? Because when the method is incorrect, the result cannot arise. So therefore when we engage in spiritual practice, it is hard. It is difficult. The harder it is, the more difficult it is shows us how strong our ego is. It shows us how incredibly strong our selfish mind is.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited February 2013
    For (insert contentment or/and happiness here), stop seeking (insert contentment or/and happiness here) !

• Gui said:

I would like to be rich too. Good looking. Well-liked. Can't I have everything, please?I am just human.