Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Advice for helping a friend

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
A girl I went to school with has been diagnosed with terminal breast cancer.

I have been able to (along with many others) donate some money to help her family but I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on some wise words or actions I can undertake in order to help her in this time of need?

Thanks!

Comments

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Let her know that she is loved and that she is in your thoughts.

I have lost some good friends and I try to send them good vibes from time to time. Sometimes I dream of them and usually they are very happy. Cancer is tragic and it is a humbling reminder of just how precious life is. May your friend find peace.

Terminal illness or not, today could be your last day. Smile and forgive. Brief is our time.
    BunksJeffrey
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Sometimes I think if one can't think of something to say, maybe nothing needs to be said. No real need to give "wise words," as they're probably getting an earful of that anyway.

As for actions, I think just being a friend (assuming that you're close enough friends) is good enough. Listen when they need to be listened to, help when they ask for help. In my experience, people who face death or disability abhor what can be perceived as pity or coddling; so I wouldn't try too hard to be helpful, or they may take it the wrong way.
    how
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited February 2013
    sorry, to hear about your friend's disease. please tell your friend that life is showing her impermanence of this body, so tell her to try to be in present moment. Also tell her that death will be coming to all of us, the only thing certain is that we are going to die, so death cannot be escaped as death is inside us. since we have taken birth, so we will have to die. so please do not think about death, rather try to live each moment by being more mindful, more aware and by being in present moment.
  • Bunks said:

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on some wise words or actions I can undertake in order to help her in this time of need?

Be there for her as the same friend as before the cancer - listen to her best you can and she will tell you and show you what she needs.
  • I am so sorry to hear about your friend. If you believe in reincarnation, perhaps it will help her to know that life does not end at death. This is not just a Buddhist belief but there are many documentaries about it. In UK, there are several BBC documentaries on reincarnation which while they cannot scientifically prove it (yet), the evidence is overwhelming that it exists.

If she is a Christian, then support her in her faith that she will be with God, so that she may pass in peace. If her state of mind at the point of death is at peace, I hope she will have a good rebirth.
    Tetruss
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I'm sorry about your friend. I hope her suffering is minimal and her transition to the next life smooth.

Don't treat her any differently. Support is good in whatever way you can help that she and/or her family requests. But if you have not spent a lot of time with her, don't just start showing up to spend time with her, for example. As someone else mentioned, people in such positions generally don't like people pitying them, and if you suddenly start doing things out of character for yourself, or for your relationship, she likely will be left asking herself "where was he when I wasn't dying?"

Often times when we find out someone we know or care for is sick, we find we have a need to do something to make ourselves feel better about it. It's not always easy to know the difference, for sure. But generally speaking, not knowing your friend, people who are very ill and dying like to be reminded that they are still the same person they have always been. Talk to them the same way, don't baby them, don't do and say things that don't come naturally. And respect her wishes. If I were in the position I personally would want to spend whatever time I had left with those closest to me and getting everything in order, not taking calls and visits from people I haven't seen in 20 years, or only see once a year at a holiday party or whatever. Often it is best simply to ask if she needs anything, and listen to what she says.

And I don't think that reminding an adult woman that "everyone dies" is really necessary. People who are ill and dying tend to have a better understanding of that than the rest of us and don't generally need to be told. I also would avoid (unless you know she is ok with it) offering any sort of spiritual advice. It's not the time to tell someone how to think and live unless they specifically ask or you have that sort of close relationship. That is the job of spiritual advisers and close family. IMO anyhow.

Edited: you can also practice Tonglen for her. Even if you aren't of Tibetan school, the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying has some really good stuff on illness and the death process. I started reading it when my grandma was very ill and it was a very good book to read at the time.
    BunksJeffreyInvincible_summer
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    There are no words you can give her that will help. Each of us must do our own internal "work" in figuring out how to cope. But it helps to know that our friends stay our friends and don't run away when we get in trouble.
    Keep in contact with her, only talk about her cancer if she brings it up (but do feel free to ask her how she's doing).
    Offer practical assistance as when see it being appropriate, whether it's house-cleaning or cooking when she's feeling poorly, or offering to drive her to treatments.
    Live from your heart.

As for Buddhism, I recently asked my own lama what I could do for my step-son who was dying (age 38) of cancer. The lama said just be warm and supporting .. help both the step-son and anyone who cares about him, as best you can.
    I asked if the doing the Medicine Buddha puja or Tonglen would help the step-son, and the lama looked at me so gently and sadly and said, "No .. those only help yourself".
    Yet, anytime we are faced with sorrow for another, this is good for our compassion practice. So both the Medicine Buddha and Tonglen practices are worthwhile ... just not useful in the way we Westerners think they might be.
    JeffreyInvincible_summerhow
    I think as for Tonglen and other such practices, you'll get a dozen different answers from a dozen different teachers. My teacher would have a different response, because he believes more in a collective consciousness, so that praying and other activities do have an effect on the person they are directed to, especially when a number of people are doing the same practice for the person. So, depends who you ask :) When I practiced it for my grandma with my sister, did it help us? Yes, of course. Did it help her? Who knows. She was given a 25% chance of survival and even then, only to live in a nursing home. She is currently back to living in her own home, doing all her own care. Do I believe our practice increased her chances or something? I don't think so. But perhaps the calming practice helped her to alleviate her pain and suffering a bit and enabled her to better heal herself. What matters is at the time that we did it, it helped everyone feel more at peace and calm in mind. We asked her if we could do it for her when we visited though and she agreed. So, there was some benefit regardless of whether it affected the outcome or not. It is more a practice to help calm and relieve suffering. Not to cure disease or be some sort of magic.
    BunksInvincible_summer
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Thank you to my wise and wonderful sangha! You all are an inspiration to me.

:om:
    JeffreyInvincible_summerTetruss
  • I am so sorry to hear about your friend. If you believe in reincarnation, perhaps it will help her to know that life does not end at death. This is not just a Buddhist belief but there are many documentaries about it. In UK, there are several BBC documentaries on reincarnation which while they cannot scientifically prove it (yet), the evidence is overwhelming that it exists.

If she is a Christian, then support her in her faith that she will be with God, so that she may pass in peace. If her state of mind at the point of death is at peace, I hope she will have a good rebirth.

Where did you find these aforementioned documentaries?

@Bunks I am sorry to hear about your friend's ill fate. I can not at this time, think of anything to say that would be of great assistance that has not already been said. With that, I will aid you in saying that, maybe you could ask an ordained member for guidance. You could also try asking one of the many Buddha's or Bodhisattva's.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Sometimes it helps to act like like nothing has happened.

When someone at my work loses someone/gets
    breast cancer diag.,etc....everyone
    crowds around and asks 1500 questions and I notice
    that's all they mention for a few days and weeks, repeating
    all the details.....wrapped in concern, yes. But the person
    usually ends up in my cube listening to my dirty jokes
    and cussing...hahaha. They say it's nice to think about
    other things other than being sick. I make an effort to tell
    long stories about nothing. :)

Not saying that's what your doing....Sometimes we just want to
    act normal and fake the funk. Live while dying.
    Does that make sense?
    BunksInvincible_summer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I agree with @sova 's statement and I add in addition to letting her know you care for her and she is in your thoughts.. let her know that you are THERE for her if she needs anything, a ride, an ear, a shoulder to cry on... etc.

that is all you can do ;). I was a caregiver to my wife who battled cancer for years before dying 7 years ago. Even for someone whom you are married to that is ALL you can do. this burden must be born by her alone.. but just like (in the lord of the rings) Sam helped Frodo " I can't carry it for you.. but I can carry you!" .. you can be there to help when she needs it.
    Invincible_summerBunks
    @Vastminds has a good point. The one person who just carries on like normal is often the breath of fresh air to someone who is ailing. Even with minor things, it is quite the pain for everyone to act like suddenly you have become your injury/illness/disease.
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • Bunks said:

A girl I went to school with has been diagnosed with terminal breast cancer.

I have been able to (along with many others) donate some money to help her family but I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on some wise words or actions I can undertake in order to help her in this time of need?

Thanks!

When we don't know what to do or say, it is best we just keep silent and be there.
    Bunks