Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Would You Do?

What would you do if you woke up one day and your facial complexion and body was of a totally different appearance to what it normally would look like? I mean as if you woke up physically looking like a different person, your sense of self totally smashed to bits. Apart from going to a doctor very quickly how would you react to the situation?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    That's one big assumption that ones sense of self is dependent on external appearances!
  • how said:

That's one big assumption that ones sense of self is dependent on external appearances!

I didn't mean the entire network that results in the sense of self, inanimate objects essential can be given a 'self' by the mind, I just meant the physical self.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    After I got over the fact that I looked like a different person, I would analyze the situation. Following that, I would embrace it because there would be nothing I could do.
    Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I guess you could ask if you prefered the changed appearance or not, how tied you were to being recognaised as the former appearance, not to mention a possible gender or species change.
    Need a few more parameters.
  • how said:

I guess you could ask if you prefered the changed appearance or not, how tied you were to being recognaised as the former appearance, not to mention a possible gender or species change.
    Need a few more parameters.

Lets say the total opposite aside from age, so for example if you are a female in her mid 30s, a little underweight then you would change into a male same age, a little overweight and of course simply a new face that would fit the new appearance.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Man, you had me worried before you kept it "in species".
    I am just twisted enough to think it could be a real hoot. Here I've been spouting off for years about the irrelevence of gender to a practise and I'd guess I'd find out.
    Invincible_summer
  • Several issues would be a concern to me. 1) Who am I now? :eek2: 2) Where am I now? :skeptic: 3) And am I neferious for some reason or other? :wow: Then, I'd worry what happened. :coffee:
  • how said:

Exactly. My sense of self has nothing to do with my appearance. I can't relate to this question.

• Be grateful we do not live in Multiverse Kafka . . . or maybe some of a wayward Tibetan persuasion are awaiting that fate . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Metamorphosis
  • Wakeing up a cockroach is not my way of a great morning. :coffee:
    ThailandTomNirvana
  • An ex-girlfriend of mine suggested a book to read about a man who becomes an insect, I think it is an ant or maybe a cockroach, I cannot remember. But it is meant to be quite a good read.
  • Metamorphosis by Kaflka; an intersting story of a young man who wakes up transformed into a six foot cockroach; and has no problem with it. :coffee:
  • how said:

I am just twisted enough to think it could be a real hoot. Here I've been spouting off for years about the irrelevence of gender to a practise and I'd guess I'd find out.

Interesting Freudian refrence there. But, what if waking up female, and in labor? :coffee:
  • JohnG said:

how said:

Interesting Freudian refrence there. But, what if waking up female, and in labor? :coffee:
    That would be interesting to say the least. For once a male could experience the pain of giving birth to life and also the joy of it.
  • i would think "cool!.. how the hell did that happen..." then i'd go and see my spiritual teacher, Tsem Rinpoche, to ask him what happened... on the whole, i wouldn't be too worried... i'd be more fascinated. I think i wouldn't be worried because i know Tsem Rinpoche would know the answer!
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I would think about all the cool devious things I can do now as a person who looks different from me then hope its like one of those hollywood movies where I look like myself in the end and get away with all of it ! :P
  • I know what I'd do if I were female haha! j/k
    BhikkhuJayasaraZeroTosh
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    @JohnG, after I read TomofT's first post, I immediately thought of Kafka's Gregor Samsa, if I recall his name aright. That is the most awe-inspiring story, which I recommend to anyone working with the profoundly disabled in nursing homes and the like. (Most people just don't get the connection, which is simple: being trapped in an unfamiliar and/or unwanted body for an unknown time and with fear and trepidation...etc.)

What Would I Do? (WWID)
    I'd have NO CHOICE but to retire very deeply into myself and would resent any intrusion upon my space that was not totally sympathetic or empathetic. (Hence my recommendation of this METAMORPHOSIS story to all working with the profoundly or even totally disabled.)
  • I would worry that I've body-swapped with someone else. Say I swapped with a 21yr old guy, that guy has a 21yr history I don't know about and 21yrs worth of relationships I don't know about. It also means he's in my body not knowing my history nor my relationships. What about dietary habits? Oh man, his body might be diabetic and I wouldn't know! :eek: I gotta find this guy!

If I later find out that no, it's just my body that's changed, then I wouldn't be bothered much at all, to be honest. I pretty much avoid mirrors as it is, so that's not an issue. I suppose it's possible that becoming male could mean an increase in aggression and sexuality, which would bother me immensely, but at least that's something I could work on, I suppose.

What about the people around you though? Are we taking them into account? I imagine my mother would be pretty bothered if I showed up at her door an overweight man saying "Hey mum, it's me! I swear!"

Answer: If we're talking about a situation in isolation from the rest of the world, I wouldn't care much at all (after the initial shock factor at least).
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Yaskan said:

[essence of my] Answer: If we're talking about a situation in isolation from the rest of the world, I wouldn't care much at all (after the initial shock factor at least).

Yea, but if you're in complete isolation from the rest of the world, you cease to be anything; for without belonging to a greater whole, any metamorphosis would be impossible. That is because changing in form would have no meaning and even a mirror would reflect a different reality when directed away from self (in such circumstance).

Any redemptive work we do HAS TO be done in the world, or it will have nowhere to leave its footprints.
    ThailandTom
  • Nirvana said:

Yaskan said:

[essence of my] Answer: If we're talking about a situation in isolation from the rest of the world, I wouldn't care much at all (after the initial shock factor at least).

Yea, but if you're in complete isolation from the rest of the world, you cease to be anything; for without belonging to a greater whole, any metamorphosis would be impossible. That is because changing in form would have no meaning and even a mirror would reflect a different reality when directed away from self (in such circumstance).

Any redemptive work we do HAS TO be done in the world, or it will have nowhere to leave its footprints.
    I agree, hence the rest of my answer.

I was trying to say, I am not so attached to my physical being that I would care if it changed, but I don't exist alone, so the reactions of others have the potential to make me care about the change (given that it could mean a loss of my closest relationships).
  • Pinch myself.
    howNirvana