Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Connection with the Spiritual Guru/Father

SilouanSilouan Veteran
edited March 2013 in Buddhism Basics
When I was Nichiren Buddhist, back in 92, I saw a film called “The Little Buddha” . It was my first introduction to Tibetan Buddhism. The main part of the story was that a Lama had passed away in America and the search for his next incarnation was undertaken.

My interest in this alternative form of Buddhism started to grow from seeing that film, and a couple of years later I found a Tibetan temple in a near by city and became connected to it and received instruction when I could make the trip. Several years latter I saw the film again. In the movie there was a brief flash back of the Lama who passed away. I was blown away when I realized the actor was the person I was receiving spiritual guidance and instruction from.

Many years latter I converted to Orthodox Christianity. In this tradition one becomes connected to and very close with one's spiritual father much like in Buddhism with one's Lama or Guru. The interesting thing is that even though I don't consider myself a true practitioner of that path any longer, when I'm about to perform a particularly negative action an image of my spiritual father will flash in my mind and in most instances it is strong enough to prevent me from committing the act by drawing my attention away from the urge.

I recall the Sunday after I had heard that my Lama had passed away I saw a rainbow projected on the floor from the Church tower above, and I pointed to it and said to my wife “Geshe” with tears in my eyes.

I find it difficult to downplay or dismiss the importance of one spiritual guide over the other, and perhaps this is one of the reasons I consider myself a pluralist and sometimes take a hard stance against others at times for not seeing the way I see things.

Please forgive me for my harshness.
BunksJasonchelaMaryAnnelobsterriverflowDaftChrisBrian

Comments

• chelachela Veteran
    Your post reminds me of the non-duality of life. Without you, I cannot be me.
    Silouan
  • Thank you for sharing that very personal insight, @Silouan.

Peace. Metta.
    Silouan
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Please forgive me for my harshness
    Stop being so humble, you are better than such 'arrogant' affectations . . .

PS.
    Please forgive me for my harshness :o
    BhikkhuJayasaraSilouan
  • Silouan said:

I find it difficult to downplay or dismiss the importance of one spiritual guide over the other, and perhaps this is one of the reasons I consider myself a pluralist and sometimes take a hard stance against others at times for not seeing the way I see things.

In my mid-20s I was fortunate to meet a (now retired) Greek Orthodox priest who was a teacher and friend (though he would deny the title 'teacher') - we would talk for hours on end, meeting two or three times a week. For about a year, I had an infatuation with the Eastern Orthodox Church-- he didn't exactly dissuade me, but he didn't exactly make things easy for me either-- for which I am now grateful, oddly enough.

We collaborated on a small magazine together which focused on the 'perennial philosophy' and it was through him I was introduced to (Pseudo-)Dionysius the Areopagite and Eckhart, whose language echoes in many ways the Prajnaparamita literature in Buddhism. He also introduced me to the Daodejing (he owns well over fifty different translations in several different languages).

But all that is mere window dressing-- he was, and still is, a father to me and I will be forever grateful to him for opening my mind, educating me in a way that no university could ever do for me. He changed my life and gave me a direction and focus for my life. In a roundabout way, I wouldn't have come to Buddhism if it wasn't for him.

He's in his late 70s now and I'm hoping to go out of town to see him one weekend soon.

lobsterSilouan
  • @riverflow
    I'm very fond of (Pseudo-)Dionysius the Areopagite, and Vladimir Lossky who was very much influenced by him too. I also found St Gregory of Nyssa's "The Life of Moses" to be extremely mind opening as well.
    riverflow
  • Silouan said:

@riverflow
    I'm very fond of (Pseudo-)Dionysius the Areopagite, and Vladimir Lossky who was very much influenced by him too. I also found St Gregory of Nyssa's "The Life of Moses" to be extremely mind opening as well.

I've read some of Lossky's books. I never got round to reading Gregory of Nyssa though. If I recall correctly, Dionysius' borrows some from Nyssa.

Fr. David gave me some lessons in Koinos Greek but didn't get very far (I can read it aloud and I have good pronunciation!). I remember in Dionysius' The Mystical Theology the constant use of hyper-____: 'beyond' this, 'beyond' that... In a way, The Mystical Theology is the Christian equivalent to the Heart Sutra. Dionysius really gave me an entirely new outlook on things.
    Silouan
  • @riverflow
    That is a keen observation. I'm fond of the Heart Sutra too and the mantra found therein.