Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

with out a teacher?

What would you do if you knew of a buddhist center where in order to really get any "hands on" teachering, was to take a class that they only offer on certain days that you are not avalible to be there?

Am I suppose to learn and practice the dharma alone? Should I rexaimine myself encase I am transfering my emotions and thoughts on to them?

Comments

• Millions, and yes, I mean millions of Buddhists around the world are Buddhists without benefit of 'formal' teachers, brick and mortar sanghas, temples or classes.
    It can be done, and honestly, many of us prefer to get it done that way. :)
    BunkslobsterWisdom23Blueaphid
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Who teaches the teacher?

Mindfulness is a teacher in itself learn from cause in effect.

The Buddha taught suffering and it's cessation. While no matter what anyone does suffering is a result of living. Being aware of the 8 fold path one can choose to reduce "unnecessary" suffering.
    MaryAnnerobot
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    There is no "supposed to" as far as the best way for you to study and practice. It is all a matter of preference, and then convenience. Whatever works for you is just fine!
    Blueaphid
  • edited March 2013
    Those of us without a 'teacher' have to recognise the teachers all around us. We are being taught the Dharma every day by our interactions, our meditations, our wandering minds. I decided that I wouldn't have a 'teacher' but would draw on teachings through experience, through listening to teachings and reading. But then, it's down to bum on a cushion and practicing compassion.
    blu3reelobsterBlueaphid
  • Look for another place, but in the mean time practice and study on your own. Take advantage of the many resources available to you -- books, internet forums, on-line videos, etc.

I have a sangha, but no teacher. I am ok with that, but as someone who is primarily Pure Land, there is less of a need for one. I know Vajrayana and Zen place greater importance on having a teacher. Maybe that is something to take into consideration -- what form of Buddhism are you most interested in, and do they even stress a student teacher relationship?
  • so far I don't know, I am going to a tibetan mahyana buddhist temple but I don't always believe in some things like the taras. I don't worship the lamas. I respect the rimpoches. I like how the bodhisattvas are here to help. I guess I am trying to say that I don't care too much for its mysticism, but I liek it because it is an all inclusive temple. all buddhists from the area go there, so it is a variety of people sangha. I have too much mind. I need to go meditate and shave. have a good day.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Every living being you encounter each day is your teacher......all you need to know is the lesson that they're teaching you.

I think there are one or two web sites or books out there that will help with that! ;)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2013
    I try to let go of my ego/identity through meditation.
    Others with devotional leanings seek to be the disciple of a teacher to do this.
    Both address the needs of the trainee
  • so it is a variety of people sangha
    Some may be just cushion sitters. Go, sit, leave.
    Problem solved? You can (strange but true) realistically practice any form of Buddhism in a vajrayana temple. You don't really want to practice or do you?
    Ah well, we all start somewhere . . . . :wave:
  • I would make an effort to at least find a Sangha even if that involves a certain amount of inconvenience. I was a do-it-alone Buddhist for five or so years but that just got too lonely at some point.
  • What would you do if you knew of a buddhist center where in order to really get any "hands on" teachering, was to take a class that they only offer on certain days that you are not avalible to be there?

Am I suppose to learn and practice the dharma alone? Should I rexaimine myself encase I am transfering my emotions and thoughts on to them?

There is a Buddhist hymn which says: By ourselves is evil done, by ourselves become we pure. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. Buddha only shows the way. The hymn is called self-reliance. In some places, you don't have a Buddhist center to contend with. In a place there is one, you may have to rely on yourself to find the path towards the teacher, that is if you really want one.