Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What if a computer became sentient?

edited March 2013 in General Banter
Could a computer reach enlightenment?

If the momnet a the computer became sentient would be the moment it was born, or a mind transmigrated into a computer that became sentient through karmatic actions.

If a non returner was born into a computer that just became sentient, could that being reach enlightenment?

What would the first Computer Bodhisattva be like?

Would the computer pave the way for other computer like it to reach enlightenment through bridging the gap between organic and non organic?

enstead of being wet born or egg born, what would you call it? Dependent born, or many being born, electron born?

Then it's death would be what, the off button, or the wear of the parts to uselessness?
blu3ree

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Skynet, of course.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Beep Boop
    person
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Lawl thats one question i never wanna know the answer to.

Sometimes i swear tvs try to communicate often they will make weird sounds when yheir turned off.
    lobster
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Reminds me of this (spoiler for those who haven't played Deus Ex!)
  • What about groups of physicists who debate the singularity happening in a serious manner, who have more scientific knowledge than any one of us?
  • TV's make weird noises? Maybe components heating and contracting . . .
    Sentient and enlightened AI may be our only hope for a Maitriya in a cynical, non suffering future, where dharma is no longer required. Well that is the stance of Yinyana Buddhist Cultists.
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Could a computer reach enlightenment?

If the momnet a the computer became sentient would be the moment it was born, or a mind transmigrated into a computer that became sentient through karmatic actions.

If a non returner was born into a computer that just became sentient, could that being reach enlightenment?

Would the computer pave the way for other computer like it to reach enlightenment through bridging the gap between organic and non organic?

enstead of being wet born or egg born, what would you call it? Dependent born, or many being born, electron born?

Then it's death would be what, the off button, or the wear of the parts to uselessness?

Its not going to happen.

Next...
  • well that was mean..."It's not going to happen." "next." What did I ever do to you?
    It was a philosophical question. Loving kindness is a wonderful virture. You don't have to have an anomosity againists new comers. Just because I am not like you doesn't mean that I am pretending to be a buddhist. I don't do crystal healing on monday and kundilini yoga on wensday. But ok, thankyou for your comment though.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    You are projecting.
  • I guess I still have alot of anger still. I am an angery person, I relized that a while ago and thought I got over it. I guess I didn't. Thankyou for helping me see that. But reguardless I have to go do something about this anger. I need help. I can't do it alone. But I will try and do enough. have a good day.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    You too.

_/\_ ( folded hands )
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I think if a computer became sentient... or simply passed the Turing Test, Buddhism would be a lot better prepared to accept it than the other great world religions.
    There are so many devas and spirits and minor gods in traditional Buddhism, so one more form of life wouldn't be too much to accept.
    As for the rest of your post, I dunno. Far out man. Interesting to think about.
  • I am pretty sure the Turing test has been passed but just by a program.

The existing computer technology is in a state of emptiness or non mind, getting it sentient is the task.
    We need fundamentally different computers, organic and quantum would be a start.
    The singularity is the idea of computers matching human capacity. Still that does not make them sentient.
    The question is about awareness independent of causality.

Does a computer have Buddha Mind? Only when it's turned off - or would that just be Nihilism?

Most of us, speaking for myself are barely aware of real sentience or 'being'. More research required. More developments. We have barely begun . . .
    :)
  • A human mind is composed of the skandhas. The skandhas include the "form", or human brain and body which has a huge effect on our mind. We are also composed of our perceptions and emotions, neither of which is addressed by the scientists who concentrate on the memory and conscious response part of the mind.

If an artificial mind could be built to appear conscious, it still would not be a human mind unless you could provide a biological body, emotions, and human perceptions and value building. We are not little logic engines. We're sloppy, ignorant, emotional, contrary human beings. So I've always thought we could create something that appears conscious, but it would still be a perfectly designed machine at the core. It's our imperfections that make us human.
    Citta
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @Citta, I have to agree that your "next" comment seemed a bit brash. It was very dismissive. You could have stated that you don't think it'll ever happen without dismissing the OP. Yes, we all have to try to determine what is meant by every word, and we all have our own meanings, but generally speaking, that is how the term is used. "What you said was unimportant, I want to move on to something more important to me."
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited March 2013
    if a computer became sentient, and tried to write heart sutra - gate gate paragate - then still it would write the same - gate gate paragate - only difference shall be that these words need to be read in English and the gate will refer to the AND gate or OR gate or NOT gate in electronic circuits.
    BhanteLucky
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I'd try to be friends with it.

I mean come on, an AI buddy? hell yes.
  • robotrobot Veteran

well that was mean..."It's not going to happen." "next." What did I ever do to you?
    It was a philosophical question. Loving kindness is a wonderful virture. You don't have to have an anomosity againists new comers. Just because I am not like you doesn't mean that I am pretending to be a buddhist. I don't do crystal healing on monday and kundilini yoga on wensday. But ok, thankyou for your comment though.

Don't worry about it. Sometimes people fail to notice which heading the thread is posted under. General Banter is just that.
    Those who take these threads too seriously or without a sense of humour or fun have displayed a lack of mindfulness in their own posting. It's not your problem.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    More projection.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    FWIW the Dalai Lama has stated that he thinks that if a computer became complex enough he doesn't see any reason why it couldn't house a consciousness.

My understanding of the Buddhist view is that some level of mind survives death and continues on into a new rebirth. The brain seems to be an incredibly complex set of wires and chemicals I also don't see any reason why that couldn't be replicated to some extent in the future.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

A human mind is composed of the skandhas. The skandhas include the "form", or human brain and body which has a huge effect on our mind. We are also composed of our perceptions and emotions, neither of which is addressed by the

scientists who concentrate on the memory and conscious response part of the mind.

If an artificial mind could be built to appear conscious, it still would not be a human mind unless you could provide a biological body, emotions, and human perceptions and value building. We are not little logic engines. We're sloppy, ignorant, emotional, contrary human beings. So I've always thought we could create something that appears conscious, but it would still be a perfectly designed machine at the core. It's our imperfections that make us human.

Bump.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    while(true){
    }
    lobster
  • What is everything is already sentient?

Really its our definitions of self and other that construct outside entities which we determine either sentient or non-sentient.
    lobsterZeroInvincible_summer
  • edited March 2013
    Wonder if it would get as frustrated with itself as I do with it?
    I want a control/alt/delete function of my own.
  • Could a computer reach enlightenment?

You have watched too much science fictions!
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited March 2013
    AI is only a matter of time. Probably within our lifetimes.

Of course AI will be a projection of HI (human intelligence). :buck:
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Wonder if it would get as frustrated with itself as I do with it?
    I want a control/alt/delete function of my own.

lamaramadingdonglobster
  • I would tell my robot to learn how to make beer . Then, if I did not like it I would have it make me another recipe until it was just right. Then I would have tasty beer any time I want.
    person
  • AI is only a matter of time. Probably within our lifetimes.
    Possibly. Maybe we have barely begun.

We are moving towards an increasing symbiosis with our technology. It is an interesting area of research. Interestingly our own brains are open to being programmed and debugged.

The idea that the flawed is flawless may make us question what non AI is . . . The idea that we are intelligent, exist (are 'sentient') is not supported by the Buddhist evidence.
    We are, speaking for myself, little more that robots requiring servicing based on our karmic nature . . . and from that arises the delusion of sentience.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    What if a computer became sentient?
    I would name it HAL and we would go on beautiful looking, but ultimately boring, space adventures!
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Any technology that exists when one is born is taken as just a natural part of the world.

Technologies that come along when we are 20 are the greatest thing ever and should have been here way earlier.

New technology that comes along when we're 40 is the work of the devil and will bring about the destruction of society as we know it.

:lol: :hiding:
    lobster