Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karma in non-rational spaces

Do you think there may be "corners" of the universe(s) which are totally non-rational to us? Places were all our science, math... the totality of our understanding do not and can not exist? In some way, I believe this to be true, perhaps inevitable.

Causation becomes so warped that what we understand as karma can not exist. Or does it?

Comments

• Would it still be a mind if there was no karma and causation? Should we worry about a part of the universe that cannot be observed?
    Invincible_summerThailandTom
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Karma and causation would still exist, just differently than they do on Earth.

How would action & causation not exist? That doesn't make sense to me.
  • *smiles*

yea, I know, right?
    Invincible_summer
  • Congress?
    VastmindriverflowRodrigo
  • Karma and causation would still exist, just differently than they do on Earth.

How would action & causation not exist? That doesn't make sense to me.

According to @lobster causation cannot be found within metta or true compassion, and I am or was a Daka whatever that is lol.. I tried google searching it with a variety of results :wtf:
  • Karma is only known by a Buddha. Until then we just use it as a guideline and inspiration to create merit. And an inspiration to practice hard because we are always getting more entangled in samsara.

Causation is just appearances. I think that is where the aprimanas (kindness, compassion, joy, and equinimity) come in. Because the aprimanas are not limited to positive mindsets they are called unlimited.. In the darkest grasping the aprimanas can pierce in at any moment and they can be found. Liberation however has no cause. We are simply linking in to an enlightened quality our mind already possesses. And that enlightened quality is spontaneous activity for the benefit of beings. If a Buddha were caused well then once that cause expired the Buddha would fall down back into samsara. All causality is subject to impermanence. The Buddha-nature is none other than emptiness of skhandas, mind, views, and mandalas.
  • in the infinite multiverse of infinite branes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse
    it would be inevitable

irrelevant to your happiness though

Daka is the female counterpart of a dakini
    in some multiverses they are 'a lovely bowl of petunias'
    http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Infinite_Improbability_Drive
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2013
    @lobster Wrong.

A Dakini is already female... Daka is the MALE counterpart, although this is not a generally or widely accepted premise.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2013
    quite right daka is male
    . . . Autocorrect is sometimes not helpful - my apologies :eek:
    Must be in the wrong multiverse again . . .
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Shouldn't you be used to that by now? ;)

Autocorrect does not concern itself with inaccuracies in information.

That bit is up to the individual.....
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • Heh. Imagine a universe in which karma does not exist and things just sort of happen for no particular reason. Now imagine a universe in which karma exists, where everything has a reason or cause to happen, although it might be from lifetimes ago.

Now how do you tell the difference? You can't. They'd both look the same to us.
    ThailandTom
  • lobster said:

quite right daka is male
    . . . Autocorrect is sometimes not helpful - my apologies :eek:
    Must be in the wrong multiverse again . . .

Can I ask why you said that I was a Daka in the first place @lobster? Was it random or am I missing something (A lot of things fly right on over my head).
  • For those Adkins (that should be dakinis) of a less clear cut persuasion, here is the form:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakini
  • I still don't get the intention behind it at all lol..
  • The multiverse mentions that other bubbles or universes may have completely different laws of physics than us. I believe that Neil Degrasse talks about this on the joe rogan experience, very interesting.
  • Part of my question is the result of reading a transcription of a lecture given by Stephen Hawking in the70's at some point. His premise was that all of science is merely local phenomenon. From a strictly practical view, the discussion may make no real difference to us. But what fun is that?