Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mushrooms!

Anyone here ever take pscilocyben or pscilocin mushrooms? Please share your experiences!!

Comments

• blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited April 2013
    LOL!!?!?!? :eek: :eek2:

Do you plan on taking them ?
    Jayjayshanyin
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I have done them a small handful of times. Once walking around downtown doing them with a guy I knew who was sort of a bad friend and immature person. At first I was comfortable with the trip and was feeling joy and mind expansion and a connecdtion to nature. Then he tried freaking me out by saying hey look at the ground its waving and I convinced myself I was seeing the same thing as him because I was high and stupid and it all became overwhelming. I realize now when I started doing drugs was bad people I had calling them friends, and I think that is the case with most people who do drugs and I hope that's not the situation your in or even considering taking them.

I had reached blissful states in meditation for the first time prior from my trip and I can tell 1. They were much better than the drugs. 2. I regret the drugs because they are destructive to your meditation practice.

The other times I did them was hell, one in particular where I did 50 dollars worth at work then another 20 after and got lost in a parking lot. I was talking to brooms instead of washing dishes.

Don't do them with people you don't feel 100% comfortable with, if you're stressed and have to do something the next day, are afraid, are going to be in a highly stimulating environment, and don't have access to nature.

IMO don't do them at all.
    blu3reeInvincible_summerJeffrey
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    BTW they take you in the complete opposite direction you want to go as a Buddhist and can become an attachment as an escape from reality in todays world. Just meditate!
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Best trip I ever had, and I've tripped a lot.
    Extreme danger of permanent liver damage if you pick the wrong ones.
    Plus in my group of friends I have had two mates pretty seriously psychologically damaged by them, one permanently.
    Digging alien implants out of his legs with a knife, that kind of thing.

Maybe they would be ok in a country where they are legal, if you are of sound mind to begin with, have someone to look after you, and also if you don't mind breaking the precepts.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I've never done (and don't plan on doing) shrooms, so I can't comment on it... but I found this video very interesting!

Apparently shrooms used to be legal in Holland until some people got hurt. Now you can buy "truffles" which supposedly do the same thing.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Shrooms were legal in the UK if they were wet up until about 6-7 years ago, along with psychedelic truffles. I have taken both many times and to be honest, from a medical point of view if you actually have actives and non lethal ones due to ignorance, then there are no problems. From a spiritual point of view, they just give you a different viewpoint to observe reality from which is still covered with delusion and they also can cause attachment and desire. They are not physically addictive and they taste horrible. I don't think they should be class A at all, and neither should acid.

As for my own experiences, I have never had a bad trip on shrooms, the worse thing that has happened to me was one time my belly and sides ached a lot from laughing for too long, I have had bad times with acid though.

If you want to read detailed experiences OP, go onto erowid.com and then 'plants and drugs' > mushrooms > experiences and have a look through there.
    Invincible_summer
  • I was nearly killed by liberty cap mushrooms.
    Swallowed a bunch in dried format, followed by a big gulp of water. The water rehydrated them in my throat and I almost chocked to death.

:screwy:
    put them in mushroom soup
    better still don't
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    EEEEWWW!!!! Drugs!!!!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @TheEccentric hate to tell you this, but I'm sure you put plenty of drugs in your body. Look at what the food you eat contains. Look at what farmers (meat, fruit and vegetables) use on their farms. What do you take when you are ill? Drugs are drugs, they just have different effects on us. Just because DARE tells you they are all bad, doesn't mean that is true.
    DaftChrisMaryAnneThailandTomJayjay
  • As an intoxicant, these mushrooms are counter to ideals presented in the Eight Fold Path. i.e. they are not in keeping with a Buddhist path.
  • Gang,
    I apologize for my tone above.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    nenkohai said:

Gang,
    I apologize for my tone above.

Dont apologise. You are quite correct. And I speak as one who spent most of 1969 stoned out of his bonce.
    Jayjay
  • I've done 'shrooms a few times, never an unpleasant experience, although the taste - ugh!- (mushroom 'tea', and dried mushrooms) I can certainly live without. I don't care for regular mushrooms as food, either....
    But anyway, it's been many, many years since I did mushrooms.
    All I remember is there was always a houseful of people, laughing a lot, wandering outside onto the beach, sitting around a huge bonfire... talking, drinking a bit, and laughing some more.
    I have tried a somewhat extensive laundry list of drugs in my time- most more than once, a few waaaaay more than several times. I regret not one single time.
    Not only no regrets, but two occasions brought about an actual, authentic, profound spiritual experience that changed me - forever.

• Hmmm... perhaps this thread would be better listed in the "members only" section? (you know- considering the topic and legality and all)
  • MaryAnne said:

Hmmm... perhaps this thread would be better listed in the "members only" section? (you know- considering the topic and legality and all)

hahaha or maybe just be mindful of what you say ;)

@TheEccentric yes substances that cause us to stray away from the path are unskillful, but it is also ignorant to lump every drug into one group, even the illegal ones. Horse riding for example is more dangerous than ecstasy.

I have done plenty of drugs legal and not legal, and I can say with the up most certainty that the ones that have causes me the most damage physically speaking and mentally speaking were the legal drugs, ie alcohol and pharmaceuticals. I have tried cocaine, well I have taken it many times but never formed an addiction to it, that could have been worse I guess, and luckily I never tried heroin. But on the whole, the classing system of drugs is highly flawed.

Going back to the topic, mushrooms for me were always fun, tasted like crap so I often put them on a cool pizza or in a sandwich. I may go picking when it rains again here in fact. But they are not necessary for a spiritual life, they may induce some form of clarity or insight but they still shroud one in delusion and illusion. Which is worse for you and society, a night on shrooms or a night drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes, probably the latter,
  • Why do people feel the need to use mind altering drugs? Isn't the world we are in weird enough already? This is a serious question. I'm not judging, just looking for insight.
  • ^ ^ Ask that question of 100 people who did or still use mood or mind altering substances- you'll probably get about 100 different reasons.

Ask that question of 100 people with no personal experience with mood or mind altering substances - you'll probably get about 3 different reasons.

They would all be right, too. Humans have intentionally used m/m altering substances for many thousands of years.

• JayjayJayjay Veteran
    TO CLEAR UP ALL THE CONTROVERSY: I am not a kid looking to get into drugs. If you're REALLY interested in my reason take a look at my Buddhism And Shamanism discussion. I have thought about trying them because of their strong bond with shamanism, but, as oxymoron as this sounds, taking them in a soley buddhist way. During meditation. To open up my eyes a little more to truths that I may then explore while not doing mushrooms, during my normal meditations. I was just wondering about some experiences from people I can trust and if they could share insight from their experiences.

On the subject of legality and drugs in general I COULD TYPE FOR EONS. So I won't get involved there xD
  • MaryAnne said:

^ ^ Ask that question of 100 people who did or still use mood or mind altering substances- you'll probably get about 100 different reasons.

Ask that question of 100 people with no personal experience with mood or mind altering substances - you'll probably get about 3 different reasons.

They would all be right, too. Humans have intentionally used m/m altering substances for many thousands of years.

I realize this..... You answered that like a politician :)

I was just curious on some reasons from people in the discussion, those that are now on "the path" .

We sometimes bend ourselves backwards on here discussing how to avoid killing maggots in a trash can. There is always a lot of chatter on the legalization of things but thats not what I was caring about. Just wondered about actual reasons for being a drug user.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @mfranzdorf

LOL I thought I sounded a bit like a politician myself! But really, there is no singular one-reason-fits-all answer!

Actual reasons? Ok- I will answer with complete candor and honesty:

I sometimes smoke marijuana. About 90% of the time I am using it for medicinal purposes- (I have arthritis pain every single day, and sometimes insomnia) - and it helps me a great deal.
    I do have a crappy prescription 'pain medication' for my arthritis issues, but it doesn't work very well, (Doctors are 'afraid' to prescribe stronger things these days) and I don't appreciate all the side affects, either. Marijuana has no side effects for me, at all. Period.

Once in a while I smoke because I simply 'feel like it' or because of the social situation I'm in, (party atmosphere or gathering).
    Sometimes, if I'm having a bad arthritis flare up, I'll smoke a few times in one week.
    Sometimes I don't smoke (for any reason) for several weeks or even months at a time; so, it is not a "habit" in any sense of the word.

I certainly don't consider myself "a criminal", a loser, or a 'druggie' because of this infrequent/moderate usage-- and, to be honest, it particularly pisses me off when other people do.
    Especially people who don't even know me in RL and only want to be judgmental a-holes online and anonymously. (I am not saying YOU are, @mfranzdorf... I use 'you' and 'your' throughout this post as a general term).

Am I breaking a Buddhist precept with my using marijuana and/or drinking the RARE alcoholic beverage? Well, I suppose I am, but really, isn't that my business, and my karma?

I feel it's none of my business what other people do in their private lives, behind closed doors, harming and affecting no one else, either.

Of course I feel differently about dealing prescription medications AND about manufacturing meth in your basement bathtub or processing crack in your garage 'laboratory' and selling it ....
    But the simple use and/or possession of personal-use amounts of most non-prescription substances should not be 'criminalized' and punishable with jail or criminal records. This is something I feel strongly about and support as a member of activist organizations to decriminalize or legalize marijuana (and other substances)

• @jayjay

Best thing to do would be to try out your mediation-with-mushroom experiment without the input of anyone else's opinion.

No one else can really predict or explain how it's going to be for YOU, only what it might have been for THEM if they've experienced it themselves, or their (mostly negative) bias if they haven't.

Start off very moderately, (tiny amount) no real 'goals' and just see if meditation is even possible for you under the influence of mushrooms. I know it wouldn't be for ME... but that's me. However, there is something to be said for shamanistic ritual and profound spiritual revelations- they CAN happen.

All the best either way!
    Jayjay
  • JayjayJayjay Veteran
    Thank you very much @MaryAnne, as mentioned in my original post on shamanism that led to talk on shamanistic "drugs" I was told that 'if I can achieve journeying and meditation without drugs, I shouldn't use them' which I agree with. But, psychedelic substances have been proven time and time again to open up huuuuuuuge gaps of truths in things of the very mysterious. My sole intention for use, if I decide, is for a brief realization or "revelation" as you call it to set me back on track, or help me find a greater truth.

I have a theory about why I might want this other than that "greater truth" though...I feel it might be out of desperate need for something....I won't get into it here, I think I'll make another post for that :3

Peace and love to everybody :D
  • @Jayjay I would not mind trying the DMT shaman brew, but that can only be found on the other side of the world from where I am. I have had the DMT crystal that you smoke, but never an actual DMT brew. I have taken mushrooms many times though and I have not tripped in 5-6 years now, I don't miss it but I would probably trip again if given the chance. I would probably see what meditation is like whilst under the influence as I have never done that before, but it is not necessary. All I have to do is wait for it to rain, which it has not done here now for at least 10-11 weeks or so, then I can go searching for those cubensis.
  • JayjayJayjay Veteran
    Hahahaa, here in Illinois all I could go out and actually pick is Amanita Muscara....

I believe you are speaking of Ayahuasca, and yes, not even questionably I would not pass that up if I ever saw it. Its relatively easy to make actually. You can make a basic brew in a couple hours with only two plants. Its not the strongest or most traditional, but is technically, and effectively, ayahuasca. The two plants required usually grow, as you say, on the other side of the world. Well for me, just a little ways down south. Little meaning hundreds and hundreds of miles of unflyable jungle xD
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    karasti said:

@TheEccentric hate to tell you this, but I'm sure you put plenty of drugs in your body. Look at what the food you eat contains. Look at what farmers (meat, fruit and vegetables) use on their farms. What do you take when you are ill? Drugs are drugs, they just have different effects on us. Just because DARE tells you they are all bad, doesn't mean that is true.

1.Those drugs in food are legal so I don't mind
    2.Medicinal drugs (the ones most people use) are fine as long as they have been tested although (a few harmful ones such as thalidomide have passed the testing stage) and they are used for illness not recreational purposes.
    3.I Have no idea what DARE is.

Legal drugs are too help people, recreational drugs are just for show offs.

Say I'm too young to know, but there a bunch of "chavy" kids in my school year who smoke cannabis and are all the show offish, frivolous, disruptive children, when they use cannabis they do it trying to look grown up and cool to their friends, when I or most other people take a paracetamol, it is too help with pain, when I eat food with legal drugs in it it is because it is the food I have available to me.
  • JayjayJayjay Veteran
    @TheEccentric ,

"1.Those drugs in food are legal so I don't mind
    2.Medicinal drugs (the ones most people use) are fine as long as they have been tested although (a few harmful ones such as thalidomide have passed the testing stage) and they are used for illness not recreational purposes."

Wow, well, kudos for believing that! It just makes me wonder if people not minding and these drugs being safe has anything to do with extremely heightened rates of heart disease, cancer, organ failures, early death, and rampant health problems. At one point, it was ok for kids to smoke cigarettes. At one point, no one even knew cigarettes were bad. The thing is just because its legal doesn't make it good for you. You should still be cautious and aware of what you are putting in your body. Medicinal drugs are also very harmful, ever actually read through all those crazy side effects???

Second of what this discussion is being diverted to has nothing to do with "recreational purposes", as you say, as I have specified. Religious, ritualistic, ceremonies of a vast array of cultures using these "drugs" are taken extremely seriously, and should be respected. People are not just looking to get high.

As for the kids in your school that smoke marijuana, this is a classic example of how to disrespect and misuse helpful, unharmful substances. It is because of that "bad-boy" image associated with marijuana now-a-days that marijuana is illegal, even though it can be a very helpful and even spiritual herb.

There is a large difference between kids experimenting and misusing drugs, and ceremonies based on thousand year old cultures' customs, please recognize that.