Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is it like to be here in samsara?

swaydamswaydam Veteran
edited April 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I've been thinking about right view. I was thinking if our situation (being unenlightened humans destined for death) could be described in some metaphorical sense it would clear things up. I was kind of thinking that being in samsara is kind of like being in a prison. No real happiness can be found in the prison, but only outside of it. Yet... true happiness is within oneself not in or outside of any prison, so I'm dissatisfied with that metaphor.

Are there any Buddhist texts which describe what the human situation is like metaphorically, or does anybody have a good way to describe it?

Comments

• blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited April 2013
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    My thinking says : the prison in which we are caught is the prison of 'I' - the moment 'I' as something internal to us develops, the same moment 'Samsara' as something external to us develops - the moment 'I' ceases, 'Samsara' ceases - there is no subject, no object, only suchness.
  • I know there are many people, especially Buddhists, who believe that the ego alone is the problem, and that once it is gone things will be rosy. I beg to differ. With or without the ego, the material world is a problem - disease, natural disasters, etc. Liberation would entail liberation from the ego plus the world outside.

Christianity is far more realistic in this respect - without making excuses, it acknowledges that the world IS an evil place, full of tears and errors and tragedies. And that Christ will make all things new. One may not believe this, but at least it is more realistic than closing one's eyes to the world and blaming everything on the ego.
    Patr
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @music - Disease, natural disasters, etc are only "bad" when we view them as such. If we truly see them for what they really are, then there's no "bad" or "evil" or "problematic." There just is. That's what Buddhist meditation is all about - seeing things for the way they truly are, without applying judgments or expectations.

It sounds really cliche, but at least it doesn't sound like we're advocating mass suicide... no offense. "Liberation from... the world outside" just sounds too much like a doomsday cult's excuse to spike Kool Aid. :p
    chelaLucy_Begoodriverflow
  • Are there any Buddhist texts which describe what the human situation is like metaphorically, or does anybody have a good way to describe it?
    The Buddha described our condition as if we are wounded by an arrow, before receiving treatment we wish to know the nature of the arrow, who shot it and other irrelevancies.

Another description describes the far shore (enlightenment) and to get there we use the raft of the three jewels.

Another description is samsara is what we sleep in and enlightenment is awaking.

Another is the lotus, in mud, samsara, flowering and opening in enlightenment.

Invincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013

In the Lotus Sutra, in the Parable of the Burning House, it tells the story of a father who tries in vain to help his children escape the burning house... but his children are too preoccupied with their shiny toys and trinkets to even notice that the house is on fire.

Thats the one.
    And those shiny toys and trinkets include what has been described as " talking school " Buddhism.
    Dharma as a hobby. Dharma as a source of fascination.
    Invincible_summerzombiegirl
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    swaydam said:

does anybody have a good way to describe it?

Art in a nutshell... lots of it about
  • chelachela Veteran
    These are all great examples. For me, I find the action, and some relief, comes when I practice it like @Invincible_summer described. What makes something "evil" or "bad"? It is just because we determine it to be so. Really, it is an opinion. It can be difficult to see suffering on a high level, like a terrible disease or some atrocity. But if we can step back, calm our feelings and fears, we can see that these things ARE. They just are. That's all. We don't have to attach our opinion, our feelings, our fears to them.

Of course, this is a practice, so don't expect that your fellow Buddhists don't feel pain and suffering when something big comes along. The only way that can really happen is through enlightenment. But we practice it through meditation and we touch it, through smaller events. For example, we meditate on something like the fact that we have a pain somewhere in our body. And if we sit with it and be present with it, we eventually can let go of some of our instinct to push it away. Eventually, we can get a sense of acceptance-- that this is how it is and there is no use fighting it. The fighting it is causing us to suffer more than if we could accept it for what it is. Similarly, we can meditate on an argument that we had with someone we love or someone we don't love. Either way, if we sit with it and think deeply about it, we can come to the conclusion that it is in the past now and that the person is a human being worth loving. And we let it go, and we suffer less.

As @misecmisc1 says, the prison is within the ego, the "I". Instead of trying to assert our opinions on everything, trying to grasp it and control it when in reality we can't, we let it go; we accept it, and this is when we begin to open the door of our prison.

And I will stress again, this is a psychological practice, not just a philosophy. Acting in life compassionately towards others is also part of the practice. So there is an inward and an outward practice that works to eliminate or at least reduce suffering in two ways, but when practiced deeply, we can see that the inward and outward practices work together as one. Right View leads to Right Thought, which leads to Right Action. And Right Action leads to Right View and Right Thought. And Right Thought leads to Right View and Right Action. They are all contained within each other. This is how the entire 8FP works.
    misecmisc1Invincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    From most people's perspective, money brings happiness because it enables us to live the lifestyle we want, not have to worry too much about the bills and buy lost of stuff.
    That is basically true to most of us, but have you not heard from the very rich that they are unhappy, money doesnt buy happiness etc, the famous would rather be less so, have more privacy.

This tells us that its a cycle, we want something we dont have, then when we reach our goal, the euphoria does not really last, a few years maybe.

How long does the new car or gadget bring excitement? How long can you be on holiday before yearning for home. How long can you indulge, etc etc, this is whats known as impermanence. Nothing really lasts. The rich are afraid of losing their fortune, of being ill, of being cheated, well everyone have their concerns and fears, it is Samsara after all. Can you take your millions to the after life, or will it be a curse to your children?

From a Buddhist perspective, knowing and understanding impermanence and that desire/cravings for money, objects, persons, status, are never going to bring everlasting happiness or satisfaction. Dont you think that the person who is content is happier. If we can control our cravings and brush it off, wouldn't it be better than unrequited cravings, which will lead to anger, envy, greed and other negative emotions.

This is the meaning of looking within for answers, for us to recognise our emotional attachments and to overcome them. But having enough money to live comfortably is definitely a better option. :)
    misecmisc1Jeffrey
  • Personally, for me, hubris is the cause of samsara (I know, I think I'm muddling the "cause and effect" flow, too, but...). Peel back the skin of hubris... a skin that lays over the whole of "samsaric" (if you'll pardon the language butchery) existence... and one finds liberation. Again, this is how I see it. I have no idea how various sutras and scripture may describe it.
    swaydam
  • @music - Disease, natural disasters, etc are only "bad" when we view them as such. If we truly see them for what they really are, then there's no "bad" or "evil" or "problematic." There just is. That's what Buddhist meditation is all about - seeing things for the way they truly are, without applying judgments or expectations.

It sounds really cliche, but at least it doesn't sound like we're advocating mass suicide... no offense. "Liberation from... the world outside" just sounds too much like a doomsday cult's excuse to spike Kool Aid. :p

How else would you see 'disease', if not as evil?
  • The Parable of the Burning House seems to be what I was looking for, thanks.

riverflow
  • There is the suffering of suffering. Just because you have a disease it doesn't mean you can't also develope a different one.

There is the suffering of change, losing what we value.

And there is the suffering inherent in a compound world.
  • Very tiring.

It is like having an itch, not being able to find it, yet still having an itch.

Or the weeping and laughter of humans. Right there, so much hope and so much fear. So much acceptance and rejection.

That's it.
    Invincible_summerswaydam
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    music said:

@music - Disease is just nature taking a certain form. Yes, it causes suffering and death, but neither of those are intrinsically "evil." Is it the fault of "evil" that someone can just go to sleep and not wake up the next morning? It's just nature.
    Lucy_Begoodriverflow
  • Me personally, I think of it as being very up and down. It's not all terrible, but it's not all great -- like an ocean. Sometimes it's calm, but periodically there are violent storms. Human life is like that -- it can be very stressful just trying to live your life.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited April 2013
    taiyaki said:

Very tiring.

It is like having an itch, not being able to find it, yet still having an itch.

Or the weeping and laughter of humans. Right there, so much hope and so much fear. So much acceptance and rejection.

That's it.

You reminded me... When I was quitting smoking, it was like feeling dukkha very acutely. At all times I had become aware of this intense WANT, and yet, although I knew that it was nicotine my body was craving, it really just felt broad. I wouldn't let myself smoke, so I would drink something... or eat something... or try and fill the void with other things... but the want never went away.
    It had occurred to me at the time that the feeling wasn't so different than the way I often felt in life. That restless boredom that sometimes creeps up. Addiction is like an intense version of samsara, so obvious that you have to pay attention to it... but general attachment... that is harder to see, but still as painful at times.
    Lucy_BegoodJeffrey
  • I think the analogy of the prison could be improved by thinking of it as a prison without bars.
  • or even a prison we are not in
    . . . I even heard [whispers] samsara and nirvana are the same place

:rocker:
    nenkohai
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited April 2013
    My thinking says: there is nothing good and nothing bad in this world. everything is 'just as it is' - but it is our view, which changes our perception and then classifies the things into either good or bad. it all goes back to the root cause of ignorance or avidya or avijja - first a thought of 'I' as something to grasp on arises and then how 'I' feels about an external thing arises, based on what we hear, see, think about it, with our hidden delusion of 'I' analyzing it. though there are acts which are skillful and unskillful, as either they help or they do not help in getting this ignorance removed. the moment ignorance is removed with wisdom, the notion of 'I' holding onto anything is dissolved, subject-object duality is dissolved and then everything shall be experienced as 'just it is'.
    riverflow
  • music said:

@music - Disease is just nature taking a certain form. Yes, it causes suffering and death, but neither of those are intrinsically "evil." Is it the fault of "evil" that someone can just go to sleep and not wake up the next morning? It's just nature.
    You agree it causes suffering and death. Do you love suffering and death? If not, it is something you would like to avoid. Of course, Buddhists will make vague statements about this, closing their eyes to reality.
  • or does anybody have a good way to describe it?
    Maybe it is like a squirrel stealing her own nuts.
    or . . .
    a place were the dead come to live (or vice versa)
    or . . .
    an ocean where the fish think they are drowning
    or . . .
    a rubbish heap made up of the most precious jewels
    or . . .
    a house built out of imagination
    or . . .
    an oar rowing without a boat

:clap:
    Lucy_BegoodJeffreyswaydam
  • Death and suffering are coming. For all of us.

But why be dead before hand? Why dread the coming suffering? Why destroy this life for the sake of something that has not happened yet?

While I respect the opinion that Buddhists are self-deluding, I can not agree with it.
    music said:

music said:

You agree it causes suffering and death. Do you love suffering and death? If not, it is something you would like to avoid. Of course, Buddhists will make vague statements about this, closing their eyes to reality.
    @music - "Reality" according to Buddhism is not what human-constructed morality believes is "right" and "wrong."

I hate to enact Godwin's Law, but to avoid talking so vaguely, I'll bring up an extreme example:
    To many people what the Nazis did in WW2 was "wrong." But to the Nazis, it was "right." Disallowing women to have jobs used to be "right" but in most modern societies, it is "wrong." See where the problem lies in relying on constructed and ultimately provisional concepts of "good" and "evil' and "right" and "wrong?" The Holocaust, gender oppression (even this word is problematic in this context), etc are "wrong" and "evil" according to many but not all. So how can this objectively be called reality?

I know this will sound really bad - and I don't intend it to be offensive so I apologize in advance if people are offended - but tragic events in history just are. It's on a slippery slope to nihilism, but it's true. To avoid totally slipping into nihilism though, we have to make sure we don't become apathetic to suffering despite avoiding ideological and socially constructed paradigms. It's not about punishing Nazis. It's about seeing the suffering of the victims as well as the suffering of the Germans who joined the Nazi movement because of their suffering and work to lessen the suffering. If I'm not mistaken, this is similar to what Thich Nhat Hanh advocated during the Vietnam War. He didn't see the Vietcong nor the Americans as "evil," but rather as both being victims of fear & suffering and guided his peace work accordingly.

It's way more work than simple black and white punishment/reward. But, in theory, it's more objective and thus addresses suffering directly, not from any side.
    Lucy_Begoodriverflownenkohai
  • Some things are like licking honey off of a razor blade.
    riverflowlobsterInvincible_summernenkohai
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2013
    swaydam said:

I've been thinking about right view. I was thinking if our situation (being unenlightened humans destined for death) could be described in some metaphorical sense it would clear things up. I was kind of thinking that being in samsara is kind of like being in a prison. No real happiness can be found in the prison, but only outside of it. Yet... true happiness is within oneself not in or outside of any prison, so I'm dissatisfied with that metaphor.

Are there any Buddhist texts which describe what the human situation is like metaphorically, or does anybody have a good way to describe it?

"Monks, the All is aflame. What All is aflame? The eye is aflame. Forms are aflame. Consciousness at the eye is aflame. Contact at the eye is aflame. And whatever there is that arises in dependence on contact at the eye — experienced as pleasure, pain or neither-pleasure-nor-pain — that too is aflame. Aflame with what? Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion. Aflame, I tell you, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.028.than.html

"Just as when boys or girls are playing with little sand castles:[4] as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, that's how long they have fun with those sand castles, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them. But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn23/sn23.002.than.html

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/tibetan-sand-mandals-the-sacred-art-of-painting-with-colored-sand.html
    Invincible_summer
  • @Invincible_summer
    I understand what you're saying. Things just are. That may be. All I am saying is, as long as we're in the body, there is always going to be the subject-object division. Earthquakes and cancers may be understood in terms of science, but that doesn't change the fact that to me, the subject/observer, it is a painful process. So much so that I may call it evil. But it doesnt matter whether we call it evil or XYZ. My only point is, pure observation is not possible because we will always exist as a subject influencing what we observe.
    Invincible_summernenkohai
  • we will always exist as a subject influencing what we observe
    Perhaps.
    Perhaps the influencing self, the individual, that which has a self is lessened with practice . . .
    The observed is integrated with our being, without this subjective separation . . .

:wave:
    Lucy_Begood
  • What is true of Stoicism is just as true if not more in Buddhism: it is not what happens to you, but how you bear what happens to you that matters. Most people are too caught up on the 'what' but not the 'how,' becoming slaves to conditions around them.

Until there is a deep realisation that the separation is illusory, you are trapped in a prison of your own making--it is not the fault of earthquakes or cancer that makes one's life miserable, but how we relate to it--which is due to our own conditioning which should be overcome--or, decide to just remain a slave to circumstance.

The wheel of Fortuna and the wheel of samsara are two different but similar cultural expressions of the same idea.
    JeffreyLucy_Begood
  • "observer affecting outcome" -- which physicist was that (can't remember)?

In my mind - one hot smoking gun for non-dualism.