Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A summary of the spiritual journey, as told by Thomas Keating

Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal DhammaWe(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
edited March 2013 in Faith & Religion
"The beginning of the spiritual journey is the realization... that there is... an Other. Second step - to try and become the Other. Finally - the realization that there is no Other. You and the Other are one. Always have been, always will be. As the spiritual journey unfolds, one lets go of these false beliefs of one's separation from God..."

What do you think about Trappists like Keating and Merton? I find their interpretation of spirituality, centering prayer, and contemplative prayer very interesting. I'll admit that I'm not extremely well read on all Christian denominations, but it does appear that the Trappist order has an almost mystic approach to faith that is not really found in other denominations.
John_Spencer

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    I think I read somewhere that the Dalai Lama was a fan of Merton's. He came across his writings earlier in life, and loved them.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

What do you think about Trappists like Keating and Merton? I find their interpretation of spirituality, centering prayer, and contemplative prayer very interesting. I'll admit that I'm not extremely well read on all Christian denominations, but it does appear that the Trappist order has an almost mystic approach to faith that is not really found in other denominations.

THIS SUBJECT of immense interest to me. Responded via PM 22:42 March 2

Merton met the Dalai Lama
    http://kwokpuilan.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/dalai-lama-met-thomas-merton.html

From what I remember, Merton was interested in Dzogchen, he was advised to not bring this up . . . . The first question he asked the Dalai Lama was about Dzogchen . . .
    DandelionInvincible_summerriverflow
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Apparently the Vatican issued a document warning against the pitfalls of integrating Eastern practices with mainstream Western Christianity. I can sort of see how their concerns (mysticism devolving into a "cult of the body" and "self-absorption" among others) are valid, but it's sort of sad how they sort of throw the baby out with the bathwater.
  • Apparently the Vatican issued a document warning against the pitfalls of integrating Eastern practices with mainstream Western Christianity. I can sort of see how their concerns (mysticism devolving into a "cult of the body" and "self-absorption" among others) are valid, but it's sort of sad how they sort of throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Generally the culture of Christianity promote an extroverted vision of compassion, thus from the outside any form of working on oneself is seen as selfish.

Its kind of the downfall of such ideology imho. Because what happens is that compassion becomes an ego activity.

Anyways in regards to OP:

This is the basic structure of the ten ox herding pictures in zen.

We find the Ox (Mind). We try to work and relate with the Ox (Mind).

And eventually both the Ox and Man are dropped.

And whats left is the unexplainable.
    chelariverflowInvincible_summerlobster
  • chelachela Veteran
    Thomas Merton and Thich Nhat Hanh are also fond of each other, as TM referred to Thay as his brother. What I think is noteworthy is that these people can find commonalities in each other and in each others' beliefs (and find genuine appreciation for them), rather than always pointing out the differences, which put peoples at odds with one another. IMHO, it seems that the Vatican uses an approach to try to threaten people into not accepting anything outside of its strict orders. It probably sees anything outside of its orders as threatening because it is has lost so many followers. Maybe if it could see that having an open heart is a better approach, so many people wouldn't be leaving the Church.
    riverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Merton, Keating, and Dom John Main have transcended the outer form of their tradition and have reached that silence which is at the heart of all.
    DandelionInvincible_summer
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    The Vatican is an aberration. I wish more Chistians knew that the Roman church was a breakaway movement that developed a variant doctrine and broke up the original collegiate. It was, it seems, a power play, a political move, and did more damage to Christianity than all other heretical sects put together imho.
    riverflowlobsterInvincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    @Florian,
    I have met very humble, good Catholic contemplatives. Nuns that were none and Nuns that were 'None the Wiser'.

As a Buddhist aberration myself, I always like to point out that my moon is just an ass display . . . :o
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Me too. I did not criticise any humble, good Catholic contemplatives. Contemplatives are, or are bound to become, by the nature of their vocation, non-demoninational. denominational.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :)
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Oops. Thanks @federica.