Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wrong to get 'warm fuzzies' from doing something good?

Here's the thing...

I'm going to be alone for Christmas, which is just fine by me. I like down-time. Husband is going to the family, a ride I can't make (leg and back problems). This is understood by all involved. I've said for a while that I would like to volunteer at a shelter or church dining hall or someplace like that for a holiday. Holidays don't mean that much to me, but they do to a lot of other people, especially people who have no one or nowhere to go. To that end, I know it will make me feel really good inside to help make someone's holiday a little less lonely. Is that a bad thing, to feel good about doing something? Do I just do it and suppress any feeling or emotions about it? Is it un-meritorious or selfish to have the warm fuzzy feelings? I know it probably sounds kind of ocd. :o
riverflowjaeanatamanInvincible_summercvalueChaz

Comments

• Wrong to get 'warm fuzzies' from doing something good?
    Jainarayan Member

9:24AM in Buddhism for Beginners Flag
    Here's the thing...
    Hi Jain: I think warm fuzzy feelings are fine. They are natural pride from doing right action. You should enjoy and have pride in accomplishing something fine. When you go home and start bragging about your generous heart that is a little different. Even then, Pride from right action is not bad karma-still karma forming but so is an eager breath. Emptiness is not a statement that we shouldn't take joy in our work and life or presence.

If we don't develop the grasping after the self in the mandala then the attachment to right action is all good. A Bodhi is not a rock. A suffering attitude in the midst of all of this glory is just out of place and misplaced holiness. Well done on your good heart. Best, Dennis
    Cinorjercvalue
  • Great, thanks @MaryAnne, @vinlyn, @Dennis1. :)

Yes, my concern was in harboring a feeling of pride. I don't like to broadcast what I've done or what I'm going to do. I think that ruins the karma and merit. Sometimes it comes up in conversation, but I keep my comments about it to a bare minimum. Usually I shrug and say "meh, I have a lot to make up for" and leave it at that. I'm glad to know there's nothing wrong with smiling inside. I will find out if there is a place in my area that does this, and if so I will offer to help. I hope there is.
    MaryAnnecvalue
  • Cool @riverflow, I learned a new word, and more importantly, what it means. Thanks. :)
    riverflow
  • Yes, my concern was in harboring a feeling of pride.
    Dharma pride in virtue, in setting a good example, in blatantly exposing our capacity for service is fine. Just don't get carried away with it . . .
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited December 2013
    To that end, I know it will make me feel really good inside to help make someone's holiday a little less lonely. Is that a bad thing, to feel good about doing something?
    No, it's not bad. :)
    "Furthermore, there is the case where you recollect your own generosity: 'It is a gain, a great gain for me, that — among people overcome with the stain of possessiveness — I live at home, my awareness cleansed of the stain of possessiveness, freely generous, openhanded, delighting in being magnanimous, responsive to requests, delighting in the distribution of alms.' At any time when a disciple of the noble ones is recollecting generosity, his mind is not overcome with passion, not overcome with aversion, not overcome with delusion. His mind heads straight, based on generosity. And when the mind is headed straight, the disciple of the noble ones gains a sense of the goal, gains a sense of the Dhamma, gains joy connected with the Dhamma. In one who is joyful, rapture arises. In one who is rapturous, the body grows calm. One whose body is calmed experiences ease. In one at ease, the mind becomes concentrated.

"Of one who does this, Mahanama, it is said: 'Among those who are out of tune, the disciple of the noble ones dwells in tune; among those who are malicious, he dwells without malice; having attained the stream of Dhamma, he develops the recollection of generosity.' http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an11/an11.012.than.html#recall-virtue
    Jainarayan
  • @Cinorjer that's kind of the way my internal argument went. :D
    Cinorjerlobster
  • Divine pride is no error. False pride is no virtue.
    Jainarayanlobster
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Don't suppress your feelings, be happy in your good deeds and life well lived, just don't cling, don't take a new birth.
    lobster
  • @Jainarayan, I only have time to read your post today. I just learnt something new from you today about beware of the good feeling when helping others. Normally, I just feel good without thinking further or analyzing the effect of it. Thank you for reminding me this.
  • cvalue said:

@Jainarayan, I only have time to read your post today. I just learnt something new from you today about beware of the good feeling when helping others. Normally, I just feel good without thinking further or analyzing the effect of it. Thank you for reminding me this.

Glad to help! :)
  • Weren't the Warm Fuzzies a Sixties pop group?
  • There is no wrong thought, warm fuzzies or otherwise. ;)
  • I love the warm fuzzies; I'm addicted to them. I've had worse addictions, so I'm happy with this one.