Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hobbies?

On a much lighter note what are your simple pleasures in life? What do you do to relax and switch off?

Comments

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Does not compute. Buddhism is my hobby. I find it very relaxing.

Oh OK. :)
    I used to be help out with Puppy Linux. My efforts to build a time machine have lapsed . . . :bawl:
    http://tmxxine.tumblr.com/
    What I need is a new hobby . . . be interested what others get up to, may develop a new hobby . . . :clap:
    jae
  • I'm an avid skier, something of a reckless one. I'm a little compulsive and impulsive at the same time, so I taught myself by putting on skis and going to the top of a mountain. Figured I'd learn it on the way down. I didn't die, so it's been easy since then. But I've had far more injuries and brushes with death doing cross-country skiing.

I also do a lot of gun collecting. Really into surplus rifles. Guns built in the 30s and 40s have a wonderful craftsmanship in the wood. I've restored a few.

My daily hobby is pipe smoking. Any new place I visit, I chat up the local tobacconist and get the most popular blend.
    lobster
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Frozen_Paratrooper... myself and 19 other family members are going skiing in 3 weeks, first time for me, any tips? I've got really fond memories of my Dad making his own lead bullets for his collection of black powder guns, fun to watch the big 'poof' of smoke when they are shot!! Pipe smoke has a lovely aroma I'm a smoker of too many cigarettes but thats my next challenge, planning to give up end of this month :eek2:
  • jaejae Veteran
    @federica... can I commision you to make me a lurcher coat, my new addition is so skinny !!
  • My daily hobby is pipe smoking. Any new place I visit, I chat up the local tobacconist and get the most popular blend.

Ah yes . . . a worthy hobby

@robot a boat, now that is a hobby. Wonderful. Only done a bit of yachting on a sailing dinghy and a Tall Ship . . .
  • jaejae Veteran
    @robot....Wow is she yours?
  • jae said:

@robot....Wow is she yours?

Yes, she's mine. This picture is from last fall. She is heading back to the water with her new bottom paint.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @robot..... this is ours...
    robotlobsteranatamanReborn
  • jaejae Veteran
    @robot... she's a beaut... I've spent many a day under a boat sanding anti-fouling off and repainting (always come out from under looking like an ageing smurf)
  • @jae
    Sweet. She looks like an awesome family cruiser.
  • jae said:

@robot... she's a beaut... I've spent many a day under a boat sanding anti-fouling off and repainting (always come out from under looking like an ageing smurf)

As a lifelong fisherman, I figure I've absorbed too much copper, arsenic and lead already, so now I hire someone else for the dirty work.
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @robot.... nice proffession, I would love to go out for a few days with the Alaskan crab boats 'Deadliest catch' that would be a buzz... I've never been sea sick, that would certainly test me!
  • Swimming, classical guitar, watching football and playing with the kids
    jaelobster
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Dhamma has really become the largest part of my life outside of work, but I also find time for Hiking, camping, traveling, crossfit, goruck, running, and for utter time wasters when i have rest times, video games.
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Jayantha I love camping I'm hoping to get a permanent pitch in Herm Island this year (I've been on the waiting list for 10 years)

All of my family (approx 20 of us) camp together at least once a year, below is a picture of our 'tribe' on 'Shell beach' Herm.

Some Guernsey families stay for the whole of the kids summer holidays while the husbands work all week and join up each weekend, its only 10mins by ferry so very doable, the kids are free to roam, no TV's lots of places to make dens, no cars, only a few quad bikes and a couple of tractors... absolute bliss.

Plus don't you think camping is really grounding? You really don't need much to survive and the community spirit is fantastic we spend most of the Summer there on our boat (camping on water)

Goruck.. had to look that one up, looks intersting!
    DharmaMcBumReborn
    edited January 2014
    @jae : there is nothing better then spending time in the wilderness and shutting off your electronics, especially with family and friends. I love sitting in the fire talking and laughing, making smores, hotdogs etc.

This is why im planning to renounce at a forest monastery. To live in the wilderness with dhamma, I wouldn't want it any other way.

As for goruck here is a video. A tv station followed a class i was in last june in nyc during a tropical storm.

Goruck is a 12 hour taste of special forces training lead by current or retired special forces members, some of the most humble and amazing people ive ever met.

It basically teaches the importance of teamwork and the more you think about i instead of we, the worse the experience is. It may be hard for some to understand but doing this (5 times now and an attempt at a 24 hour version) has helped my dhamma practice. The amount of times my mind said i was at my limit yet i was able to push beyond that. Its amazing how much this mind really limits us with its faulty perceptions and fears.

It also helped me alter my perceptions on the importance of sangha. I am much less about wanting to be away from people meditating in a cave then i use to be.
    Invincible_summer
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Jayantha I can just picture the campfire, but don't worry if you sit in it I will save you, or roast my marshmallows on you!!! (typo)

I think we all need to take a few steps backwards.

The life you are talking about sounds wonderful I hope the time is short until it happens.

Regarding being in a cave... well what use would your knowlege be there eh?

I'll have a look at the vid later I'm 'meant' to be working (wrong action)

loving kindness to you

• DharmaMcBumDharmaMcBum Spacebus Wheelman York, UK Veteran
    When time off my Spacebus duties allows I'm either on my allotment playing in the mud and attempting to grow stuff or hiking out and about what wilderness is left here. I'm also trying to get bees to keep but that may be for next year.
  • jaejae Veteran
    Excellent pastime have you ever grown jerusalem artichokes? I found this quote whist trying to find out the earliest time for replanting..it made me laugh ...

"In 1621 the writer John Goodyer wrote of the Jerusalem Artichoke, “…in my judgement, which way soever they be drest and eaten they stir up and cause a filthie loathsome stinking winde with the bodie, thereby causing the belly to bee much pained and tormented…. more fit for swine, than men.”

This may be a little harsh but the truth is that they can have quite a dramatic effect, giving them their nick name of 'fartichokes'.The flavour is described as smoky nuts and honey and they have become quite a gourmet dish but they are not to everyone's taste.Before growing them it is as well to try a few meals and see how everyone likes them."

They are very tasty however maybe not a first date menu winner.

I tried growing spuds in old tyres, ever had a go at that? Its really easy to harvest as no digging required just kick the tyres over.
    edited January 2014
    I planted Jerusalem fartichokes last year but they came to nothing. The ground became waterlogged after sowing though due to inconsiderate weather so they either rotted or went to sleep. They may pop out and surprise me this year though like my garlic did. The key to avoiding the side effects of them is to cook them thoroughly but it's hard to avoid really.
    I tried the spuds in tyres but the Birds of Beelzebub (chickens) dug them out for me so I didn't bother again in the back garden.
    jae
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Role playing (rpgs) video games. The key features are a story (some times very bad), a character that gains levels thereby opening powers of the character, fighting monsters to get better loot (armor etc) so that you can be more powerful to fight harder monsters, and there are different genres to subsets of rpgs. Also good graphics.
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Like @Jeffrey mostly computer RPGs in Skyrim Legendary edition, currently playing a tanked out orc warrior, reading mainly Dhamma/Dharma books interspersed with the odd bit of good science fiction. Oh and smoking a lot of hand rolled cigarettes.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @how kayaking is fun .....my kids love using it summer time down the beach I should use it more often very relaxing... especially if you take a flask and cake!

My partner 'planned' to go fishing on his I bought him a tiny anchor and a VHF radio just in case!
  • jaejae Veteran
    Oops don't know what happened there...never mind
  • My friend standing by my yacht.
    Invincible_summerReborn
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Jeffrey... I've never tried computer games I wouldn't know where to start but my kids love them my daughter loves the simms and mine craft they look pretty good as they seem to be quite creative....shes always showing me her new houses. How are you ?
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Lonely_Traveller the old rollies eh?OK with a menthol filter however not keen on spitting out the baccy!! :crazy:

Like @Jeffrey mostly computer RPGs in Skyrim Legendary edition, currently playing a tanked out orc warrior, reading mainly Dhamma/Dharma books interspersed with the odd bit of good science fiction. Oh and smoking a lot of hand rolled cigarettes.

The elder scrolls are the best pc rpgs of all time going back near 20 years now.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014

I played an orc who wielded a two hander. Heavy armor. Conjuration leveled up until I got summon battle axe. Conjuration has a perk to make it cast soul trap on every hit. Then I buy soul gems and soul trap a buttload of stuff. The perk is important because it makes soul trapping passive and you don't have to tab for ages. Then I enchant things to raise enchant, I also am moreso a crafter because I have enchant? that raise alchemy and smithing. Then I have an enchanted suit that raises alchemy and smithing.

When enchantment maxes out (it levels fast) then I enchant an elite battle suit and crafting suit pieces. Then I make enchanting go back down to zero. So I get more perks and health through further leveling.

My maxed armor maxed enchanted (I think) is just phenomenally powerful. The end boss could barely take 5% of my life. I don't think I used more than 1 or 2 potions,
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @Jayantha, yup Bethesda RPGs are the best.

@Jeffrey, sounds like good tactics.

@Jae, unfiltered all the way for that lung ripping quality!
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @DharmaMcBum.....ha ha ha mad chooks I can just imagine the scene. I grew my artichokes in halfed 50 gallon drums a mate works at the dairy and got me some for free... I also had an old bouy and drilled holes in it and grew cherry tomatoes it looked really pretty....never been very good with chillies though and I've tried two years running any tips?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@jae
    My daughter sat in the center storage hatch of our double kayak for many summers until we all got our own legitimate seats. Somewhere I have a photo of my thirteen year old, happily sitting cross legged in a cave that we took storm refuge in, surrounded by native skeletons.
    In a few months ( &10 years later) she'll be doing that same pose with my partner at a Goenka retreat....My how time flies.
    JeffreyjaeInvincible_summer
  • jaejae Veteran
    @how....fantastic... have you been to many retreats what are they like?

Maybe that would be a good thread?

I can imagine it being an amazing family experience lucky you
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I like to ride my bike, hike, run (when not injured), and study languages (I'm working through Mandarin and French self-study courses at the moment) when I have time.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @lamaramadingdong.....where were you that looks beautiful?
  • jae said:

@lamaramadingdong.....where were you that looks beautiful?

Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, NE Minnesota

jae
  • Here's a pic from this past fall when I went.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @lamaramadingdong....I stayed on a trailer park (think thats what you call them) in Austen Texas borrowed a rowing boat...I swear I could hear duelling banjos (deliverance stylee)

• jaejae Veteran
    Excuse me Austin
  • jaejae Veteran
    @lamaramadingdong.....absolutely stunning I wish I was there!

• jaejae Veteran
    @Invincible_summer.....I can just about get by with French well I can find a loo, order a beer and say thank you....all the essentials!
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    jae said:

@how....fantastic... have you been to many retreats what are they like?
    Maybe that would be a good thread?
    I can imagine it being an amazing family experience lucky you

My retreats are Soto Zen ( what my partner sometimes refers to as the" Chaise lounge " form of zen) where as she's Vipassna (sometimes refered to by me as "The church on Sunday" form of a Buddhist meditation practice).

Yup..Just another Buddhist family of big assed opinions.
    jaeInvincible_summer
    @jae chillis need a green house or good sunny window to grow in. Once they're really well established they can go in a sheltered spot outdoors but best keep them protected under glass. Note, chickens will also eat these if they get into your soft greenhouse when the wind lifts a corner up :( They will also eat your tomato plants and lettuce seedlings too. And poo in the pots for good measure... :rarr:
  • As cheesey as this sounds lol i enjoy everything i do words can't really describe how i get in this state or frame of mind. I guess this doesn't really answer your question so i will give you a few examples of things do which may be considered recreational. i enjoy going to the gym, listening to music, researching and learningthings (wherever my curiousity takes me) and most importantly spending quality time with family anf friends. I am looking about getting into fish keeping though. Going back to my original point i don't really distinguish between work and play because i love my work so much. As Confucius says ' love your work and you will never work a day in your life'. Well he wouldn't of actually said that being chinese and all but that is the gist of it.

Peace out Homie
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @DharmaMcBum.......I don't have any chickens ...yet! ;)
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Wisdom23....not cheesy, lovely

Wisdom23
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Wisdom23....what do you do forca living if you don't mind me asking?