Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your thoughts on...

ZetsuZetsu Explorer
edited June 2014 in General Banter

Okay so I was talking to my friends on G+ and it was a minor discussion about how are childhoods were being destroyed with umm... certain adult material based off of our childhood cartoons. We were all just cringing and then someone mentioned "Shrek is love, Shrek is life". I honestly said "If this is a true religion then I am going to kill someone." It is honestly one of the most... argh words cannot describe it. If you are brave enough...watch this video... I must warn you it is kinda graphic... and disturbing.. and no this is sadly not a joke.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jksty_shrek-is-love-shrek-is-life_videogames

Honestly I know we are supposed to respect all religions but this...this is not right...

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

My thoughts are along the lines of wondering what exactly you think the purpose of a Buddhist website is ?

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer
    edited June 2014

@Citta said:
    My thoughts are along the lines of wondering what exactly you think the purpose of a Buddhist website is ?

I know that it is to gain help and understanding but I honestly don't know how I am supposed to react to this... I am honestly curious and a little frightened because I have talked to a few of the people who practice this religion... a I am honestly frightened about this. I truly have no clue what I am supposed to do if someone asks me about this how am I supposed to respond, I want to be understanding but at the same time it is just scaring me half to death how something like this is happening.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Age please?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

15, said in opening post, first post.

Oh, in another thread? Okay. Thanks.

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer

@vinlyn said:
    Age please?

Yes I am 15 years of age

• CittaCitta Veteran

Probably not a bad idea to read some threads for a while @Zetsu.

You can then decide what is interesting to you and what isn't.

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer

What do you mean? @Citta‌

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I found the Shrek video creepy. My reason is that it's odd for a childrens cartoon character to be sexualized.

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer

@Jeffrey said:
    I found the Shrek video creepy. My reason is that it's odd for a childrens cartoon character to be sexualized.

Yes that was a major part of the conversation that we were having before hand and it turned into something completely different. I am still wondering though how I am to talk to someone who observes this as a religion, because I am really afraid and I don't want to offend anyone.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2014

Thich Nhat Hanh says the media you watch is just like food. If you eat junk food or diseased food you will not feel good. So something like this is not worth watching.

It's got nothing to do with homosexuality. It would be similarly gross to see mickey mouse having sex with mini.

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer

@Jeffrey said:
    Thich Nhat Hanh says the media you watch is just like food. If you eat junk food or diseased food you will not feel good. So something like this is not worth watching.

It's got nothing to do with homosexuality. It would be similarly gross to see mickey mouse having sex with mini.

Hmm so simply try to avoid someone who speaks of this religion?

• CittaCitta Veteran

Its not a real religion @Zetsu. Its a joke.

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer

@Citta said:
    Its not a real religion Zetsu. Its a joke.

Sadly I wish that were true but I have actually met a few people who do practice it as a religion... one adult and 5 teens to be exact..

• CittaCitta Veteran

OK I am out of here...this is a troll.

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer

Troll? Dude I am asking a honest question. I am not being rude what so ever. :(

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

So some people worship cartoon characters?

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer

@Jeffrey said:
    So some people worship cartoon characters?

Yeah I don't get it either.....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

That just goes to show that any truth has a negation to prove the rule. You do not have to respect people who worship sexualized cartoon characters. lmao

• ZetsuZetsu Explorer

Okay than you very much ^_^ I was just worried about this topic because well it is quite a touchy thing with some people.

@Zetsu said:
    Yes that was a major part of the conversation that we were having before hand and it turned into something completely different. I am still wondering though how I am to talk to someone who observes this as a religion, because I am really afraid and I don't want to offend anyone.

In reality, they don't consider it a religion.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

This really appears to be a joke.

@Earthninja said:
    This really appears to be a joke.

I agree...or a fad.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

So @Zetsu, all this Shrek flower power is just fine, but now for the real Buddhism.
    This is a Buddhist site, and you're here to learn about Buddhism.
    How are you faring so far? Have you been doing some reading? How are you progressing in your studies?

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

This is a Buddhist site, and you're here to learn about Buddhism.

Yes indeed. The sooner you learn something, the sooner I can get some advice. For example do you think I should shave off all my hair as I am attached to it?

Earthninja
  • CittaCitta Veteran

I suspect it remains to be seen what Zetsu was here for...just call me Mr Cynical. I would like to be wrong.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

People do all sorts of weird things. If the weird things they think and do bother you that much, then you choose not to interact with them. It reminds me a bit of the whole "furry" sub culture. Not for me, kind of weird, sometimes rather creepy. So, I just don't interact with that culture.

• CittaCitta Veteran

I might regret this @karasti, but what is the " furry " subculture ?

Dandelion

Basically, people who enjoy dressing like animals (in big, furry costumes) and acting like the animal they are dressed as. They take on personas (aka fursonas) of wolves, foxes, bears, and so on. And they have conventions. And they often have such conventions for sexual purposes. I'm not even sure why I know about them. Sometimes I follow links and stories on the internet to places that cannot be unseen, lol. To each their own, as long as they aren't harming anyone else. Just not for me.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

Its a real thing ? Goodness...So A boy Teddy Bear and a girl Teddy Bear.......I think I'll stop there..

I must lead a very sheltered life..: )

anatamanDandelion

Oh yes. Very much real.
    I think, sheltered is sometimes often best. I was just thinking about that this morning. Information can be power. But it can be suffocating, too. I used to think it was so important to learn everything about everything. Watch the news, know all the details of everything. Now, not so much. It's more gratifying to aim the desire to learn at my inner world rather than the outer. But as it's said, you cannot un-know. Sometimes, that is most unfortunate, lol.

anataman
  • GraymanGrayman Veteran

@lobster said:
    Yes indeed. The sooner you learn something, the sooner I can get some advice. For example do you think I should shave off all my hair as I am attached to it?

Certainly not! It is not within your authority to remove the hair but it is within the hairs authority to remove you, as you are not attached to your hair but your hair is most certainly attached to you.

Earthninja
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran

@Zetsu your friends are either twisted or immature. I suggest getting new friends. Don't worry about offending them. Just tell them that you have developed other interests.