Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

if crying is suffering what about tears of joy

every time i have a death of a friend or a family member i don't really cry.. but when i am laughing and having a good time i call it tears of joy i cry .........is that ok

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2014

yes that's ok. where did you hear crying was not ok?

makes me think of A League of Their Own a movie about women's baseball league. There is a scene where the coach, Tom Hanks, makes one of the women cry and then he says "there's no crying in baseball"

HollyRose1Earthninja
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

experience and expression of emotions is not a bad thing, not in Buddhism or anywhere else. Buddhism isn't about never experiencing suffering. It is a way to learn how to deal with it and go through it instead of resisting it. Joy can be suffering too, if the joy is causing you to be attached to someone or something (because then eventually that joy will turn into grief over the loss of that person/thing/experience). Buddhism is all about being in the present moment. If at that moment you are bursting with joy and you cry, then that is what is, and it is ok.

HollyRose1Zenshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Suffering is the result of attachments being created which then cause us grief as they
    inevitably falter as all conditioned phenomena must.

Crying is the shedding of tears in response to an emotional state.

They need not be connected.

ZenshinVastmindHollyRose1
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2014

That's the best kind of cry! From laughing so hard and when I'm so happy/proud for someone else it just bubbles out ... :bawl: .... Love it!!!!

Carrieryman
  • @Vastmind !
    That's the best kind of cry! From laughing so hard and when I'm so happy/proud for someone else it just bubbles out ... :bawl: .... Love it!!!!

same here

• There's nothing wrong with crying. The suffering comes in if you cling to the grief, if you get stuck in it, and it starts to turn into depression or some other unhealthy symptom. Joy is good. Grief is normal. Expressing emotions is healthy, as long as you don't get attached to them. Let them flow through you.

ZenshinHollyRose1JeffreyCarrieryman
  • Warning! Some scenes might bring tears to your eyes.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201876237804173

VictoriousJeffrey
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

Aaaaaw.

• @HollyRose1. Tears in my experience are a wonderful healing balm which can dissolve knots in the heart. Though they may begin in sorrow they often may end in joy.

Carrieryman
  • It is okay to cry. Let yourself feel what you feel. But stay mindful and breathe and see the truth and reality of what you are feeling. I find that when I am sad, I let myself have a natural cry but it is short-lived. Because of my continued Dharma readings and meditation and mindfulness, it naturally stops a lot sooner than it used to. It becomes an even more natural thing to cry tears of joy as well. As long as it does not dismantle you and make you suffer greatly, do not stop your tears if they come. And try not to judge yourself for them in anyway. In fact, it is an indication that your heart is expanding and your compassion for others and yourself is growing. When I am sad, I face my sadness with open eyes and open heart and then I remind myself of impermanence and our interconnectedness. It is part of life that things change. And it is okay to be sad sometimes. The important thing is not to let your mind dwell on anything but the present. Stay in the moment. I believe the Dalai Lama himself cries. The most enlightened beings on earth cry.

HollyRose1
  • By the way... I have never cried so much as I have since discovering Buddhism and stepping on that path. I cry tears of happiness almost every day now. I am alive. And see.

HollyRose1