Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Salvation or Enlightenment?"

13»

Comments

• @Tosh said:

There are like 14 different hell realms and they are described in great detail. But they are all absolutely horrible. The suffering there is so great that there is almost no way to create any kind of good karma to get out. It is even much worse than addicts trying to get back to a positive time. The duration of the hell realm is unbelievably long like thousands of years. In this lifetime here and now we have a certain momentum to practice the dharma. The universe can even throw miracles upon us to aid us to practice the dharma because it is so rare to have the karma to practice dharma. This karma is unbelievably amazing and it is like a kind of momentum. Isn't it wonderful that we can all try to the best of our ability Shakyamunis wonderful teachings!

Tosh
  • @SattvaPaul said:
    So, to me, it looks like there is more like an overlap here.

The yidam is not taken with grasping. It is ego but it is a skilful use of ego. But the yidam is appearance emptiness and is not grasping. I am just new to this stuff as I started reading a Dzogchen text.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I can't find the quote either by @AldrisTorvalds or by @SpinyNorman, about descriptions of Hell also being used in a metaphorical sense in Buddhism, not so literal.

Sorry if I tend to repeat myself, but this always brings to mind the excellent book by Mark Epstein "Thoughts without a Thinker," where he uses the Wheel of Life as the model of our psyche in general, of the neurotic mind in particular.

Even in the lowest realms, there is the figure of a Buddha sitting in quiet contemplation, accounting for the fact that "Release from suffering is won through a change in perception, not through a migration to some kind of heavenly abode," as the author says.

Whether people take descriptions of Hell literally or metaphorically depends very much on one's cultural baggage and education.

Toraldrisrobot