Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

You Know You're Enlightened When...............................................................

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

You Know You're Enlightened When......................................

anatamanNerimarohit

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    You are awake in the waking stage. Yet you know it's a dream. :)
    Shoshinlobsteranataman
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

You Know You're Enlightened When...............................................................

all the lights are on but nobody's home :D

HamsakaanatamansilverEarthninja
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2015

you understand.

lobsterShoshin
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited February 2015
    You understand you know and don't know your self
    You're in room 101
  • @bookworm said:
    you understand.

That is a good answer. With a degree of realisation comes increasing understanding. In a sense understanding can occur before or after enlightenment.

So for those on the path you know you are enlightened when your realisation is understood. Most realisation is just arising. Enlightenment does not arise, we 'recognise its being', to put it in the limitations of language. That is my experience. =)

anataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

you give a schytt about whether you're enlightened or not....

anataman
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

You're enlightened when everything finally falls into place.

ShoshinNerima
  • @zenguitar said:
    You no longer feel a craving to post anything on this forum. :smile:

Wot no compassion?

anatamanNerima
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

@lobster said:
    Wot no compassion?

Posting out of compassion is AOK. :smile:

lobsterupekka
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2015

Perhaps when you are no longer under the delusion that enlightenment is about you.

lobsteranatamanShoshinHamsaka

@how said:
    Perhaps when you are no longer under the delusion that enlightenment is about you.

Very good @how, but who is it really about?

...\lol/..

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@anataman said:
    ...\lol/..

@anataman

That "You" and "who" is simply the dream construct of a karmic virus that propagates itself through the corruption of all incoming sense data.
    Any practice that isolates that virus program from manipulating the sense data, allows that dream to fall apart.
    What is left is an awakening unhindered by the delusive identifications behind the concepts of "you" or a "who".

Can't remember if that was from Captain Kirk or Dr. Seuss..Now those two I am always mixing up.

anatamanBunksHamsaka
    edited February 2015

It's easy to understand how you can get mixed up by these two: Captain Kirk was in a story about future fictitious lives and their relationships, and Dr Seuss wrote stories about characters who had odd relationships that do not exist...

Or is it the same thing :wink:

how
  • @how said:

A good answer on many levels. <3

There came a point in 'my search', when I realised I did not have the qualities, determination and focus required for attainment. Too lazy, too easily distracted, too much bad karma etc.

So I focussed on preparing myself to be of service to someone who had a chance. In other words serving rather than gaining.

The Truth (so to speak) then began its journey to me . . . servers always required . . .

BunksHamsaka
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Nice to have you back @how :)

lobsterShoshin

I didn't realise he'd gone!

• ... a bunch of people follow you around proclaiming you are.

lobsterBunksShoshin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@anataman said:
    I didn't realise he'd gone!

Maybe I've just missed recent posts from him.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

^^No, he had been gone indeed.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 2015

belief stops...

lobster
  • @Shoshin said:

Believe it or not, belief is not part of knowing. So in a sense you know or 'knowing' but not that you are anything or when.

So it would be perhaps more appropriate to say: You know when you're enlightened . . . . .

You want of course to know how but that is not one of the conditions of enablement.

bookworm
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:

You can watch waves breaking all day and be fully content.

lobsteranatamanShoshin
  • @zenguitar said:
    You no longer feel a craving to post anything on this forum. :smile:

@lobster said:
    Wot no compassion?

...I no longer post anything on this forum out of compassion for those who would be subjected to reading my posts.

DairyLamalobsteranataman
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

Isn't it a great paradox. Many people here are clearly spot on with their replies but would freely admit they are not enlightened.

It is when we know that we know

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

@Shoshin said:

You don't need more lights anymore.

SarahT

A brief flash of light!
    The fear of death rumbles in...
    What predicts the storm?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

... you don't need fork handles....

exactly!

ET phone home...

• When you are finally and forever truly honest with yourself I would think.

edited February 2015

And how would you know when that is, exactly...? :confused:

• Don't know. Maybe if there's a video camera that can record up to years and years, you might be able to notice it?

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2015

You Know You're Enlightened When...............................................

you understand The 4 Noble Truths, you understand, this is suffering, this is the origin of suffering, this is the cessation of suffering, this is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.

Some might say 'understanding' is not sufficient..... :winky:

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2015

You know that you’re enlightened when you know that knowing it (just like questioning it or denying it) is “playing with unrealities”.

Dogen:
    "Mind and body dropped off; dropped off mind and body! This state should be experienced by everyone; it is like piling fruit into a basket without a bottom, like pouring water into a bowl with a pierced hole; however much you may pile or pour you cannot fill it up. When this is realized the pail bottom is broken through. But while there is still a trace of conceptualism which makes you say 'I have this understanding' or 'I have that realization', you are still playing with unrealities."
    http://sped2work.tripod.com/dogen.html

• you can laugh at Mara and love him at the same time.

lobster