Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sects of Buddhism

How did you find which sect of Buddhism that you want to practice and which one is it?

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2015

I tried them all out. Took me about 30 years to do it but it was, well, interesting. I settled down with Theravada because it seemed easier than the others, though actually Zen is the easiest except for being hit with sticks all the time. Seriously though I still use stuff from the other schools I was involved with.

Are you drawn to a particular school or approach?

zenguitarBuddha_Fan22
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@SpinyNorman at the moment, i'm just trying to learn the difference sects of Buddhism

• I thought Zen was 'rock hard'? I'm sure I read somewhere that the idea was to (somehow) get yourself into an unbearable mental position while meditating so that your only option is to escape into the present moment.

I'm probably wrong though. Maybe I heard Alan Watts saying that?

But it does seem to be heavily focussed on meditation and mindfulness, which is tough; or at least that's my perception of it.

Actually Zen and Theravada are very similar in that respect. The Zennies don't have to read any sutras though. ;)

Earthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Actually Zen and Theravada are very similar in that respect. The Zennies don't have to read any sutras though. ;)

Not true.
    40 years plus in Soto Zen.
    Sutra study was a daily part of a zen monastic practice.
    It sometimes helps to remember that there is as many different versions of zen as there is with every other Buddhist school.

Jeffrey
  • NichyNichy Explorer

so how did you find a teacher/monastery/guru?

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Nichy

After I studied the wide range of possibilities, I settled on Buddhism as something appealing to me. Then I narrowed it down in study to Zen as the type of Buddhism that was interesting for me. Then that got shifted in study towards Soto as the type of Zen that made the most sense to me.
    Then I searched out & found a Soto Zen teacher in my city and attended his temple for meditation instruction.
    After 6 months of study & practice with him, I started attending retreats in the monastery where he was trained.

Earthninja
  • @Tosh said:
    I thought Zen was 'rock hard'? I'm sure I read somewhere that the idea was to (somehow) get yourself into an unbearable mental position while meditating so that your only option is to escape into the present moment.

I'm probably wrong though. Maybe I heard Alan Watts saying that?

But it does seem to be heavily focussed on meditation and mindfulness, which is tough; or at least that's my perception of it.

You want hard, Zen can give it to you. But doesn't have to be. Some people just can't get past the "no pain, no gain" life philosophy.

howToshlobsteranataman
  • To answer the question, in the past people didn't have much of a choice. I'm not sure in the end, it makes much of a difference. There are a hundred doorways to the Dharma. Doesn't mean you have to open them all.

For me, I can't see any school but Zen providing that particular set of skills and practices I needed. But maybe that's just because the first Buddhist teacher I encountered was Zen.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

sometimes learning the differences can take a very long time, too. I read about just the foundations to start with, but found quickly that even those vary depending on the tradition. In the end, Tibetan Vajrayana chose me, lol. I live in a very small town with no options, but one day, a Tibetan monk teacher came here. So there was my teacher, and it's worked well.

Nichy
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Cinorjer

Completely right.
    Zen is a mirror. If the reflected image is hard or soft, who is responsible for that?

Cinorjerzenguitar
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Hi, Nichy, don't quote me on this but generally speaking the different Branches of Buddhism are generally referred to as 'Schools' or 'Traditions' as the term 'sect' can have an occasionally negative connotation....?

Personally, I have never had a teacher, tend to lean mostly towards Theravada, but occasionally incorporate aspects of Tibetan Buddhism (Mahayana) with a nod to Zen, as some of those teachings can be profound and thought-provoking.

I've been practising for 20+ years, and one day, maybe - just maybe - I'll get it right....

NichyCinorjer
  • NichyNichy Explorer
    edited February 2015

thank you @federica :)

edited February 2015

@how said:Sutra study was a daily part of a zen monastic practice.It sometimes helps to remember that there is as many different versions of zen as there is with every other Buddhist school.

I know, I was just teasing. The same is true of Theravada of course, many diverse sub-schools. I like that about Buddhism, it's incredibly diverse.

@Cinorjer said:> But maybe that's just because the first Buddhist teacher I encountered was Zen.

With the people I've met it's often the luck of the draw, maybe they go to their local group or the one a friend goes to, whatever.

Cinorjer

@Cinorjer said:You want hard, Zen can give it to you.

No, I want it easy. No excruciating meditation postures or hitting with sticks. ;)

Give me a comfy chair every time.

NichyCinorjerlobster
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

I was born into a Theravada community in Sri Lanka...and thats it.

So there you go...

next question please...

starting to feel awkward...

Yepp.

• @Victorious said:
    I was born into a Theravada community in Sri Lanka...and thats it.

So there you go...

next question please...

starting to feel awkward...

Yepp.

I've often wondered, do any of the monks there ever decide to go off and start their own temple or say the heck with this, I'm going to go join say a Tibetan monastery, or is it pretty much this is what you get?

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Some people just can't get past the "no pain, no gain" life philosophy.

@Cinorjer -- Don't forget that "no pain, no gain" is precisely the same thing as saying "no gain, no pain," which is remarkably like pretty much every other sect I can think of.

@Nichy -- I studied Hinduism and then shapeshifted into Zen because -- roughly speaking from where I sat -- Zen went for the throat. Pretty much any sect can do that for you since going for the throat (or heart of the matter) has to do with the individual, not the school.

CinorjerNichy

@Cinorjer said:
    I've often wondered, do any of the monks there ever decide to go off and start their own temple or say the heck with this, I'm going to go join say a Tibetan monastery, or is it pretty much this is what you get?

It is pretty much freedom of religion is SL. You can move about freely as you like.

Actually we boast the most holidays in the calender since all, Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist holidays are in there.

But there is prejudice as well.

I am not sure what is required to start your own religious community but I guess it is not much.

Rowan1980
  • I think most of the time the choice involves a person that you meet and hit it off with. For example you can go and sit with a Zen group (or whatever) and you like the people and think the teacher knows his/her stuff.

Yes, it's a lot to do with the people you happen to meet. An inspiring teacher is certainly a big attraction.

And a big attachment.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    I initially read up about the main different schools.
    I went for what was the best as far as felt right for me.

I wouldn't still say I follow any school of Buddhism in particular.

I found a practice (meditation) which worked for me. Again I tried different kinds.
    I then looked for pointers along the path that had a resonation within me.
    Mainly Therevada and Zen with the teachings. I got the basics from this. Then turned inwards.

Trust you instinct, don't over analyse which is the best school. Just follow what feels right for you. :)

If it is right you should see the fruits quickly.
    Nichytibellus
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

@SpinyNorman , and don't forget the shredding of sutras and the burning of Buddha images that of course happens on a daily basis in Zen! :wink:

Just kidding, that's not true. I read mostly Zen authors and practice (pseudo) Zen meditation now because that was the first school of Buddhism that piqued my interest. As others have said, go with your instincts. :smile:

@Victorious being in a relationship with someone doesn't have to mean attachment. I hope you aren't suggesting that one is best to avoid a teacher (or someone else) as a way to avoid attachment. Aversion to attachment is a problem, too ;)
    People like TNH, HHDL, Mother Theresa, Pope Francis...they love everyone. They are attached, in a sense, to everyone. I wouldn't say they are (or were) doing it wrong.

• NichyNichy Explorer

@genkaku said:
    Nichy -- I studied Hinduism and then shapeshifted into Zen because -- roughly speaking from where I sat -- Zen went for the throat. Pretty much any sect can do that for you since going for the throat (or heart of the matter) has to do with the individual, not the school.

@genkaku I pretty much want to basic and go from there

edited February 2015

@karasti said:
    Victorious being in a relationship with someone doesn't have to mean attachment. I hope you aren't suggesting that one is best to avoid a teacher (or someone else) as a way to avoid attachment. Aversion to attachment is a problem, too ;)

Chanda might be a problem but a better problem than Tanha.

Having a companion is always an attachment. But sometimes it is beneficial.
    You got to choose. Sometimes you choose a destructive companion even knowing so.

I think that if you do not find a good teacher it is better to walk alone.

If you gain a mature companion,
    a fellow traveler, right-living & wise,
    overcoming all dangers
    go with him, gratified,
    mindful.

If you don't gain a mature companion,
    a fellow traveler, right-living & wise,
    wander alone
    like a king renouncing his kingdom,
    like the elephant in the Matanga wilds,
    his herd.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.1.03.than.html

Zenshin
  • @Nichy
    I was introduced to Tibetan Buddhism by a friend when I said I wanted to start practicing, and it's the most popular in my area. I went to the LamRim teachings. I've been to their Green Tara puja a couple times, but I always favored the LamRim sessions. I found the mantra meditation technique helpful too. The toughest part following it was the 8 Mahayana Precepts that we took every so often, specially the one to eat one meal before noon.

Rowan1980Nichy
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    @Nichy -It was a toss-up between Zen and Tibetan for me. Tibetan won out because I have a preference for ritual and imagery, which I chalk up to growing up in the Catholic Church, then practicing Neo-Paganism for 18 years. I also find that the Lam Rim makes Buddhist teachings somewhat easier for me to understand. That said, I do read Zen and Theravadan texts, which I find fleshes out my understanding a bit more.
    Buddha_Fan22Nichylobster
  • NichyNichy Explorer

Thank you @Buddha_Fan22 & @Rowan1980.

do you have any book(s) recommendation?

Buddha_Fan22
  • @Rowan1980
    I totally agree with the imagery, so much symbolism in them and beautiful to look at. Oh, also, do you need to do initiations before mantra? I've done mantra without initiations, but, how does it make a difference doing mantra after the empowerment?

• @Nichy Dhammapada that's a must. Heart of the Budda's teaching by TNH helped me understand the basics well and I always go back to it. I have "In the Buddhas Words" by Bikkhu Bodhi, an anthology of Theravada scripture. I still have my LamRim, but I save that for the center, the help of the Lama and his translator makes the text clear.

Earthninja

I highly recommend Chogyam Trungpa's ocean of dharma series. There are 3 volumes: foundation/hinayana, mahayana, and vajrayana. I am just starting the vajrayana and it's HUGE. Over 900 pages, it's a giant book! His insights are astounding (to me) and I find them well-edited and compiled. I get much use out of them. I take notes as I read, and frequently go through my notes as well as look at his take on things when I have questions. He is not entirely my lineage, which is Nyingma, but partially as that is part of what he studied when in Tibet. His style of writing and the way he understands the psychology of western people (more so than most other teachers) is very attractive to me, and his books are at the top of my list along with TNH. CTR's books often have some good humor in them as well.

One of my favorite quotes ever, from the first book:
    "The way to appreciate your life is to be mindful. With no mindfulness, you have missed lots of things already, and you will miss a lot more. You are stuck with all those things that you have missed. You become like somebody who has been running a projector in a movie theater for 60 years but has never actually seen a movie. You keep running the projector beautifully, but you get tired of yourself."

If I could only keep a few of my Buddhist books, I would keep those, The Way of the Bodhisattva, and TNH's Being Peace. Also, Sogyal Rinpoche's The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. It gets into a lot of the Tibetan after-life topics, especially the bardos, but even if that's not your thing, the first half about living life before you die is excellent and the prayers for someone who is ill and/or dying are very helpful as well.

JeffreytibellusRowan1980
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I read the discourse on Not-Self called the Anatta-lakkhana Sutta, after contemplating it I felt a great happiness when I saw this teaching is true, and I knew Theravada was for me.

Earthninja