Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killing insects out of fear?

2»

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran

I was once bitten on the elbow (probably by a brown recluse spider).
    It ended up hurting too much to allow my elbow below the height of my head in order to keep the blood pressure as low as possible at the bite site. Lost a week of work while maintaining a statue of liberty pose.

bookwormlobsterEarthninja
  • "How much of a bad karma is this?"

The present rates are as follows:

Cockroach: 1.20kg of Karma
    Ant: 2.44kg of Karma
    Spider: 1.95kg of Karma
    Bedbug: 0.43kg of Karma
    Mosquito: 0.84kg of Karma
    Bee: 6.23kg of Karma
    Wasp: 3.99kg of Karma
    Butterfly: 27.45kg of Karma

The market rate for offloading Karma is $78.35, payable directly to me. Other currencies accepted, at the present Visa exchange rate.

vinlyndantepwHamsakaEarthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Black widows are plentiful, but if you know that these little babies like to hide - you are a lot more cautious when reaching into areas that don't get a lot of traffic. Every time I'd reach into my tack box, I'd look for their webs in the corners and often found them there.

• @Vanilli said:
    Are you AFRAID or do you have aversion for them? I used to think I was afraid of spiders but now I realize I was just really grossed out by them and hated them. I do compassion med and often I include them in it, I'll never like them but they are sentient beings who fear pain and death as we do and just want to be free from suffering like all beings, they are just going about their life as I am mine.

Wonderful <3

In the real world, which is different to ahimsa central, we have phobias and loves. I consider bugs a type of person. Just as evolved aliens probably think of us as a type of monkey.

Now I love aliens, wether they exist or not but would not like to be squished or eaten by them, assuming they are still relatively undeveloped.

In an ideal world every bug is king. However in samsara we have to be realistic in the compassion you mention and situations others describe.

Be kind . . . as best you can . . .

• hello @Vanilli !

I think I am mostly scared, but I'm not 100% sure! I have aversion for cockroaches, though. :(

If a huge bug comes TOO close I will instantly leave (like a cockroach/cricket/etc), but I will avoid killing it if it's in an open area and I'm sure it won't bother me. If it was inside my house I would give my best to get it out safely, but if I can't, unfortunately I will kill it.

• @silver said:
    Black widows are plentiful, but if you know that these little babies like to hide - you are a lot more cautious when reaching into areas that don't get a lot of traffic. Every time I'd reach into my tack box, I'd look for their webs in the corners and often found them there.

You know black widows are sometimes gold or blue depending on the observer. :meme:

federica
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I used to not like crickets, but when we opted to get reptiles, that aversion disappeared. Hard shells worms still gross me out, but I can deal with them because if I don't, our pets die. the problem is when the cricket(s) get loose in the house and chirp and you can't them!

dantepw
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited March 2015

It would seem that it's not the humble insect that most people find scary... Snakes and spiders are what most humans are afraid of (have phobias about) Some can't bear to even look at a photo/image of one...
    A friend of mine is arachnophobic in the extreme and goes into a panic if she sees a photo of a spider....

• For me, there are certain bugs and insects that really creep me out or just annoy me (i.e. flies or gnats). For the annoying ones, I just shoo them away without killing them and without using so much force that it'll hurt or disorient them. If they continue to bother me, I'll try to capture them and release them outside.

For the ones that creep me out in a way, it depends on the insect and where it is. Normally I just leave it be. They don't want to have anything to do with me, they're just walking around trying to find other bugs to eat or look for shelter. I'm usually a little tense about spiders because I don't know what they can do to me and what kind they are. But I've had them walk on me every once and a while to get from A to B and while it kind of creeps me out, if they wanted to bite me they would have, so I just normally pick them up and either put them outside or just put them in a dark corner so they can be safe from getting squished.

I think since I've started practicing and learning about Buddhism, I'm grown more respectful towards little insects and bugs and things that maybe I would have squished when I was younger or would have caused harm to because they were 'creepy'. I feel that they're doing what they have to to survive and sometimes that involves being around us and it's not like they're going after us to kill us or anything. I try to be as gentle as I can with all living creatures if it's possible because no matter how small they are, they're a living creature and they want to live as much as we do. If you can avoid killing them, just avoid it.

lobsterkarastidantepw