Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is thinking a problem?

2»

Comments

• @SpinyNorman said:
    Thinking too much is likely to be counter-productive, but thinking itself? Are thoughts themselves a problem, and if so, why?

If you think about thinking, then it becomes a problem. Otherwise you can keep thinking without thinking about it... JUST TAKE IT EASY!! :)

Earthninja
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@ourself said:Especially if it raises a valid point.

When people hear voices the comments they make are usually destructive unfortunately.

• I feel that thinking too much leads to views which will eventually cloud seeing clearly or seeing things at face level.

ShoshinEarthninja
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Thinking too much is likely to be counter-productive, but thinking itself? Are thoughts themselves a problem, and if so, why?

Sometimes they are, but not always. Thoughts themselves are expressions of certain problems.

lobstermmo
  • 'oi dunno'

DairyLamaEarthninja
  • @karasti said:
    Read a little thing on FB yesterday that said "opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires not accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge is empathy, because it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world." I found that really interesting and thought provoking. When I observe my thoughts in daily life, they really are all based on opinion.

Me too :3 [lobster slinks off to the nearest corner]

Part of the reason for unknotting or developing space between our internal experiences and opinions/expositions of them, is to become aware/empathic towards the genuine in ourselves and others ...

As I said to myself only the other day, 'you know nothing'. Nothing answered. B)

• mockeymindmockeymind Veteran
    edited November 2015

Thinking isn't a problem. It will become once it becomes excessive. thought isn't a problem. It will become a problem once it becomes repetitive. - Just my personal experience.

Buddhadragon
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Thinking is not a problem, at all. Its only a problem if we believe every thought as true. As a fact.
    Thoughts are good for planning but when we believe the story thoughts create, then suffering seems to occur.
    "I am so ugly" is a thought. It points to nothing in reality. Yet if we believe this. It is felt in the body.
    If we don't believe it, thoughts are like all other passing phenomena.

lobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2015

@Ankush

From the meditative perspective.....like so many of the other comments above..

Thinking tends to be the primary tool that ego co-opts to construct and maintain the dream of our own ignorance.
    Thinking is neither innately good nor bad, just deeply conditioned by long years of servitude to this function.
    Thinking, that is subject to this conditioning results in suffering.
    Thinking, that is not subject to this conditioning does not result in suffering.

Hence, finding that platform within your meditation practice from which to simply observe both thoughts and our conditioned impulses to subjugate them, allows us to see what is really a problem with thoughts and what is not.

The same applies to what we see, hear, smell, taste and feel.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Thoughts are not the problem.

But depending on the quality of our thoughts, the problem begins when we buy into them.
    When we get entangled in our mind's fuzzy scripts, that's a problem.

Even worse, when we act as consequence of buying into an inproductive thougt.