Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All Change ...

As we may know. Everything ch ch ch Changes. Click on the Vanilla logo at the base of this post. You will find we are now Open Source kindly hosted by @Linc.

You may have noticed upgrades AND you can have your own forum in a hosted Cloud. That will need paying for ...

I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere ...

Bonus track ...

Comments

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran

Change is inevitable suffering optional

lobsterDagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 29

I do believe in reincarnation. I do, I do. Idol or idle, we all are in the cycle ...

The Bowie as some of you may know, practised Buddhism and nearly became a monk but was talked out of it and became a music Diva instead ...
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14210092.david-bowie-almost-became-monk-scotland/

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Dear Friends of Options,

My brain (pah!) partially works in instances of spurts. I honour its capacity by:

oh! look a butterfly/flutterby blog
    https://rustyring.blogspot.com/2024/04/gone-gone.html

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

we are now Open Source kindly hosted by @Linc.

We've been on open source Vanilla since 2012 or so. 😅 Nothing's changed recently. I haven't even updated Vanilla in 2 years because the company was bought out and they made it harder to get the newer versions. I hope to move us to something new later this year, but I will give plenty of warning when I have a plan.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Linc
    I luvs a plan! B)

I am creating my own server. Hard!

Every day I have to learn new things. I have a website again (that become partially available yesterday). Am relearning how to use a hosted service, FTP and run a Linux I am unfamiliar with (Gnome on a stable Debian).

Most of the time I barely comprehend what or how I have managed to achieve anything. :3

Onward and Upward, Sideways and Inward

I am creating my own server. Hard!

It's a great learning exercise. When it's time to run a site for others, I recommend a cost-effective managed hosting provider like Digital Ocean (which is what we use). Troubleshooting your own bespoke operating system & webserver configuration can quickly get out of control for a single person. Early on, we had a great many stability issues from that process and it distracts you from the work that matters. I daresay we wouldn't still have a functioning site if it was my own bespoke setup — important to future proof against yourself as well. As you say, everything changes.

lobster

I'm also willing to answer web & forum hosting questions to the best of my ability here; my only request is you use General Banter to mention me rather than a private message. (If I'm going to spend time dispensing free technical consulting I'd rather it at least be public for others to benefit from too.)

Shoshin1lobsterDagobahZenIdleChater
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Troubleshooting your own bespoke operating system & webserver configuration can quickly get out of control for a single person.

You bet your prize bot-chicken it gets out of hand. I need a hosted service for the next 400-500 years to prepare for the Maitriya. Believe it or not such a service is already in preparation and I have my claw on it ...

Working on it ... :mrgreen:
    https://spacehost.one/create

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Being a Sangha based crustacean, I value the experience of @Linc and those who have gone before. I am moving towards a hosted servicing. As usual I expect:

• Someone to organise the finances
    • Someone to organise the Abbot duties or A-bot
    • Some wise solutions

I'll be on the shore line, with an umbrella based soft drink … if anyone does anything … :mrgreen:

Lionduck
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

This is the best Buddhist forum I have been on, hosted or not been banned from (once I was a moderator and banned myself) Another forum I tried banning the owner, when made a moderator. They were not amused …

Most forums are the blind leading the blind. Which is fine if you are just here for a better dream. With that in mind what can and will we change?

• Directors?
    • Providers?
    • Responsibilities?

My responsibility (believe it or not) is to ensure those on the far shore realise it is the near shore. Now the Mahayana NewBuddhist starts swimming …