Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All Change ...

As we may know. Everything ch ch ch Changes. Click on the Vanilla logo at the base of this post. You will find we are now Open Source kindly hosted by @Linc.

You may have noticed upgrades AND you can have your own forum in a hosted Cloud. That will need paying for ...

I am sure there is a lesson in there somewhere ...

Bonus track ...

Comments

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

Change is inevitable suffering optional

lobsterDagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 29

I do believe in reincarnation. I do, I do. Idol or idle, we all are in the cycle ...

The Bowie as some of you may know, practised Buddhism and nearly became a monk but was talked out of it and became a music Diva instead ...
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14210092.david-bowie-almost-became-monk-scotland/

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Dear Friends of Options,

My brain (pah!) partially works in instances of spurts. I honour its capacity by:

oh! look a butterfly/flutterby blog
    https://rustyring.blogspot.com/2024/04/gone-gone.html

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

we are now Open Source kindly hosted by @Linc.

We've been on open source Vanilla since 2012 or so. 😅 Nothing's changed recently. I haven't even updated Vanilla in 2 years because the company was bought out and they made it harder to get the newer versions. I hope to move us to something new later this year, but I will give plenty of warning when I have a plan.

lobsterfederica
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Linc
    I luvs a plan! B)

I am creating my own server. Hard!

Every day I have to learn new things. I have a website again (that become partially available yesterday). Am relearning how to use a hosted service, FTP and run a Linux I am unfamiliar with (Gnome on a stable Debian).

Most of the time I barely comprehend what or how I have managed to achieve anything. :3

Onward and Upward, Sideways and Inward

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

I am creating my own server. Hard!

It's a great learning exercise. When it's time to run a site for others, I recommend a cost-effective managed hosting provider like Digital Ocean (which is what we use). Troubleshooting your own bespoke operating system & webserver configuration can quickly get out of control for a single person. Early on, we had a great many stability issues from that process and it distracts you from the work that matters. I daresay we wouldn't still have a functioning site if it was my own bespoke setup — important to future proof against yourself as well. As you say, everything changes.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Troubleshooting your own bespoke operating system & webserver configuration can quickly get out of control for a single person.

You bet your prize bot-chicken it gets out of hand. I need a hosted service for the next 400-500 years to prepare for the Maitriya. Believe it or not such a service is already in preparation and I have my claw on it ...

Working on it ... :mrgreen:
    https://spacehost.one/create

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Being a Sangha based crustacean, I value the experience of @Linc and those who have gone before. I am moving towards a hosted servicing. As usual I expect:

• Someone to organise the finances
    • Someone to organise the Abbot duties or A-bot
    • Some wise solutions

I'll be on the shore line, with an umbrella based soft drink … if anyone does anything … :mrgreen:

Lionduck
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

This is the best Buddhist forum I have been on, hosted or not been banned from (once I was a moderator and banned myself) Another forum I tried banning the owner, when made a moderator. They were not amused …

Most forums are the blind leading the blind. Which is fine if you are just here for a better dream. With that in mind what can and will we change?

• Directors?
    • Providers?
    • Responsibilities?

My responsibility (believe it or not) is to ensure those on the far shore realise it is the near shore. Now the Mahayana NewBuddhist starts swimming …

• lobsterlobster Veteran

time for update:

1. I have found and followed @Linc on mastodon (briefly)
    2. I have turned my server into a reasonably secure desktop
    3. Learned my limitations (considerable)
    4. Am slowly and carefully moving towards decentralised hosting
    5. Am now a fully functioning mastodon, fediverse fool
    6. I need more help. YEP! I am so needy! Lobsters, lesbians and gals first. :3
    7. Tee hee! :mrgreen:
  • Neh-heh...
    As a Mahayana Buddhist, I have learned to swim, sail, and walk on water. Although, walking across a shallow land bridge or pontoon bridge really isn't walking on water, but, hey, there is still the ferry. B)
    Besides, the water is fine and the wind is balmy and fun.
    Good swimming! Good sailing! B)<3

Peace to all.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Peace to ye olde and young in spirit if not in practice @Lionduck

There ARE NOT many Buddhists on the Fediverse. Though you can, if you wish connect from mastodon to dying places they may be. For example here, Reddit, twitter, facebook etc.

If using a phone you can use mastodon apps for Android phones or Iphones.

I have never met so many smart and kind people. They put up with me! That takes some strong patience. Many of the best are worthwhile-wounded, crazy-smart and elders of the Internet. Diverse, across genders, politics, locations, races etc.

It is like Tantra. Hard. Like Zen, severe. Like the Tao, changeable at a moments notice.

The point is the servers are all sorts, all over the interweb with olde and brand new computers or practically nothing but an old phone. It is chaos and order. Fire and steam. Lonely and friendly. Fascinating. I luvs it.

https://fedi.tips/using-multiple-accounts-on-mastodon-and-the-fediverse/

Lionduck
  • Always be curious
    Never stop seeking
    Never stop learning
    Never stop trying
    Life is a challenge
    Life is a great adventure
    Do not worry about your seeking, your personal practice, not being pure - perfect.
    It is in the seeking, the stumbling,the learning, the trying that we grow.
    in this sense, the voyage is the goal. In climbing a mountain, reaching the peak is mearly the sign that marks your advance. After all, once reaching the peak, behold, more mountains. Beautiful!

Peace to all

lobsterJeffrey
  • @Linc

It's a great learning exercise. When it's time to run a site for others, I recommend a cost-effective managed hosting provider like Digital Ocean (which is what we use).

Well that US provider 'Digital Ocean' was a complete waste of time.
    After wasting my time with

• email, confirmation
    • Digital ID
    • questionnaire
    • having to use two browsers
    • fill out a questionnaire AGAIN that IS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS
    • try out for 60 days with $200 credit (only valid when providing credit card details)

Not for me

So will try something else, in time B)

Appreciate advice though

Lionduck
  • Have been recommended this hosting service
    https://masto.host/

Hopefully I can set something up very soon.

Lionduck
  • Just to update:
    Tried this green tech hosting 'service'
    Followed all their procedures
    and then got locked out as they 'updated their 'services' as I was busy trying to set up payment and following their in web browser support.
    Another waste of time and effort. Unbelievable.

Used by all kinds of groups and companies. But me? No!
    https://krystal.io/

Back to the Beginners corner for lobster... :confounded:

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I thought Krystal looked really good? Maybe they are worth another try…

• Yes @jeroen they look good BUT I went through the involved enrolment procedure twice. They were asking far too much information but I gave it.

Then we went to pay. That went through OK, using a very convoluted route using a phone link, ID number etc.
    Then when payment was OK. They shut down their 9-5 helpline at 3.30 PM on a Thursday weekday. Despite having servers in London, Europe and America.

Now pardon me BUT if a company can not even take your money. Maintain a helpline AND when asked what the situation is...
    Silence!

No email! No info on their site about service times. O.o

What does that tell you? It sends me an all too clear signal.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited September 9

Hmm it doesn’t sound too good, you’re right.

Maybe have a look here:
    https://www.ukwebhostreview.com/

• Just a reminder that, new services, sites (to you) should be researched carefully prior to engaging them. There are too, too many who, it urns out can't or won't provide services as advertised. Be curious, be adventurous, but also be cautious. When you find the gem in the rubble, then you can celebrate a successful hunt.

Peace to all

lobster
  • @Jeroen said:
    Hmm it doesn’t sound too good, you’re right.

@Lionduck said:
    Just a reminder that, new services, sites (to you) should be researched carefully prior to engaging them. There are too, too many who, it turns out can't or won't provide services as advertised. Be curious, be adventurous, but also be cautious. When you find the gem in the rubble, then you can celebrate a successful hunt.

Peace to all

Update:
    Well I am in contact with about half a dozen at Krystal now. They are trying to sort out what happened. They definitely seem to exist. Which is more than some enlightened zenith's claim. 💎
    I like Krystal’s client list, which includes the NHS (National Health Service) and may go visit their server facility in London.
    I have given them more info to trace my enrolment. I have a feeling their outsourced payment procedure screwed up. :3

It is not easy being green! ~ Kermit Frog

Bonus Track:

Lionduck
  • Thanks to everyone. Updates:

@Jeroen said:
    I thought Krystal looked really good? Maybe they are worth another try…

1. They were and are. Good guyettes and gays, eh guys.
    2. I am much closer now to hosting with Krystal.
    3. I managed to get an invoice and bank transfer details. Will be sorting that from my rainbow ends pot of gold.
    4. I have a support ID, so they know what they are dealing with. [lobster hangs head in shameful ignorance]

Thanks @Jeroen good advice… ❣️

• This is the sort of conduct we will use.
    Of course the below is overly complicated. Not for example allowing skilful wrathful practice.

It usually comes down to
    Be Kind. Be Civil. Be Sane.

====

Code of C.O.N.D.U.C.T 

C – Communicate with Kindness: Jam-yang London Buddhist Centre observes practices of right speech, not speaking harmful words, not lying and practicing non-harm. In the cultural context of today, that means being inclusive and mindful of equality and diversity in speech. Not using discriminatory language, offensive words, being intentionally divisive or expressing harmful or hateful opinions. 

O – Observe Boundaries: Respect boundaries within Jamyang London Buddhist Centre; including opening hours of the building, office and service hours of the team, private areas of the space, availability of and access to the resident teacher and appropriate behaviour within a religious and educational context and personal boundaries with peers. 

N – Non-Harm: Harmful or Abusive language, actions and behaviour, across any medium including in-person, over email, zoom and social media, will not be tolerated. Projecting negative intention through communication, being accusatory or purposefully distressing team members is unacceptable behaviour. 

D – Develop understanding: Conflict can arise from misunderstandings, unnoticed cultural differences, misunderstood information and misuse or misinterpretation of language. Aim to develop understanding of your fellow students and teachers, and that people’s backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are often different from your own. 

U – Use communication routes: Every course and activity at Jamyang London Buddhist Centre has an allocated coordinator or facilitator. Know who yours is and how best to contact them; keep communications respectful, kind and courteous. 

C – Confidentiality – Many personal thoughts are shared within a Dharma educational community. Respect others’ right to confidentiality and treat sensitive personal information with care and discretion. 

T – That’s not OK Speak up when something is not right. Jamyang London Buddhist Centre has a comprehensive safeguarding structure in place, to support students and community members. We are ready to help. Be confident to say and receptive to hearing ‘That’s not ok’. 

Inclusivity Statement
    Dolgyal Public Statement
    Student Code of Conduct
    Jamyang London Buddhist Centre
    The Old Courthouse
    43 Renfrew Road
    London, SE11 4NA, UK

welcome@jamyang.co.uk

• Latest news:

• I have paid for hosting services with Krystal's servers in London.
    • Not one tree planted, they seem to do this with outsourced carbon capture greenwashing.
    • My domain name MAY be available soon.
    • Krystal seem very proud of the fact that they have taken payment 🐌
    • They do not have a doofus lobster option 🐣

Pray for us beginners
    I'll start.

OM YA HA HUM

• I have set up a website @Linc and everyone,
    Not quite what I expected or was aiming for :3

This is the temp test site. May have to be replaced. Bit of a mess.
    https://mettaray.com/

Here is the questions section
    https://mettaray.com/questions/

I also have a new email address
    lobster@mettaray.com

I have it for a couple of years if I survive that long.
    OM YA HA HUM

Jeroen

Lol @lobster … why would you not survive?

Loved your questions, especially “how would we help save England and the World?”

• @Jeroen
    lobsters get barbecued, fished and phished AND are prone to death at any time... ;)

I think you can add your own questions. B)

Now working on the blog... bit of a mess to start with :3
    You can admin it and change anyway you want if that is of interest?
    ... or I might be able to make you a co-blogger if that is preferred?
    https://mettaray.com/blog/

It is based on WordPress blogs AND I believe WordPress is available to follow from Mastodon social media. So... the future is on its way... <3

Now to do a blog post, update etc... =)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 18

OK early days but the blog is a bit better. In fact better than the web page :3

I feel I am slowly getting somewhere...
    @Shoshin1 instead of advocating pre-emptive (aka very wrathful Tantra) >:) might prefer to have a voice on the blog?

I have to watch my wrathful side. If it gets out of hand, throw me on the nearest barbie... :mrgreen:

Just to keep everyone up to date:

• Simon Blackler who started Krystal is now handing it over to an octopus called Dave to run. Good plan.
    • I did start using a modern/simple method provided by Krystal,to create a website. Mmm... might give it another go. Who knows... Yes well I have done. No where near even started really. In computer terms, it is pre-alpha (which means not suitable for viewing) but hey ho...
    • I am having salad and homemade bread for lunch. Always a good plan.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm sorry.... WHAT - ?!

lobster
  • I'm sorry.... WHAT - ?!

Reality and peoples realities are in flux. There are good people here. Good intentions. I have taken and am taking a long time to create something of 'spiritual' value.

Sense and what emerges is part of the journey. Wot is a good question. As is @how and link aka #Linc. The truth is I do not know what...

Jeroen

I agree with you @lobster, creating something of spiritual value is very worthwhile and beneficial for the world.

I am trying to do the same thing by contributing to Buddhist forums and by writing a series of autobiographical articles for an Osho site.

I thought about creating a website for a long time, but I had difficulty finding reasons for people to visit the site… I’ve tried writing blogs in the past, and had visitor numbers in the order of five or ten people for most pieces, a hundred for one popular piece. So I thought I would experiment first with some attempts to write articles, and see if I can create something worthwhile that way first.

• I agree with you @lobster, creating something of spiritual value is very worthwhile and beneficial for the world.

In Buddhist terms, mostly of value for us.
    So for example:
    I just tried and will need more time to create a free education portal. The software documentation is mostly in Spanish but is free under a GNU licence.
    This is where, as with a wiki, forum, blog or Free Education on meditation technique, takes shape. Collaboratively.

Those who have experiences to share can in the process:
    1. gain karmic merit (I need all the points available)
    2. learn what they know
    3. provide an opportunity to progress through The Great Work, as the alchemists call it...

cructacean2@protonmail.com for those with idle thoughts and input

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

All Change ...

Thus have I heard
    Change is inevitable, suffering optional

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 22

I start change from and with the individual.

1. First capture your human B)
    2. Reboot :grin:
    3. Boot them back into the real world :p

Today I changed my mind. I wasn't using it, so no great loss… 😌🏴‍☠️✔️

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 25

This is going to sound ridiculous BUT it took me an hour to add
    this ye old website link
    https://cundi.weebly.com/yidam.html

...to my new one:
    https://mettaray.com

AN HOUR! [rant, fume and feet stomping]
    Could I add a picture? No! (no laughing at the back please)
    Could I give a short synopsis (obviously that would be too simplistic)

Learning SIMPLE these days, is too hard!

In techie terms there are three types of security experts
    but I am not really even capable of being a redhat (sold for billions) user of Fedora Linux.
    Black hat (what most would term a hacker or breaker/tester of security), and other more benevolent types, not my type of TOR browsing...

I prefer to be as open as my software should be BUT can not be these days because of AI, scammers and cyberwars between states and private companies.

I am ranting, complaining and... thanks for listening <3

Time for a cup of tea and breakfast. Hope I can get the fridge open, without a password or keycode...

Update:
    1. Managed a Qi-Ong session
    2. Managed to get into the fridge
    3. Birds are tweeting, in sweet bay outside my window
    4. Window open for fresh air
    5. Another day of greys (not aliens incidentally) and unfoldment

Morning @lobster

I think a rant a day keeps the fisherman away! You just enjoy your new website, try out a few templates… my life is also changing a bit, I am writing an autobiographical series of web articles for an Osho blog… yesterday I was walking with my father yesterday on the heather, was very good for my dickie knee. Still looking after my mother, she is resting in the hospital and being looked after by teams of doctors.

lobster