Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism, religion or religiosity?

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Today
I believe that religions are human inventions and that all the prophets or enlightened time, from Jesus to Buddha and others did not want a religion that was created as a system of idolatry, but that the lessons be used to look inside and find there and only there that their religion!
I think that something has changed in the world, something that leads to a real unity of all teaching and that you also pass from theory to practice, but the real one that can really help those in need beyond everything.

:)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Religions are an invention of human beings.
    But what religions teach varies greatly.

Buddhism neither encourages nor advocates idolatry.
    We have no God, no Being, no Absolute....
    We have ourselves, and the Buddha's teaching of Suffering, and the end of suffering.

Simple.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I believe that religions are human inventions and that all the prophets... did not want a... system of idolatry, but that some lessons be [learned about] looking inside and finding...

I think that something has changed in the world, something that leads to a real unity of all teaching and that you also pass from theory to practice, but the...

Avalokitesvara, I'm trying to make sense of your question/thesis, as is perhaps reflected above.

Are you perhaps asking whether Buddhists are caught up in religiosity (which is often self-serving in its obtrusive sentimentality) or have found a better way?

My own hunch is that most practitioners of any religion or philosophy would first and foremost see this as an insulting question, if that's what you're really asking.

Or perhaps you are just asking about possible chasms we have, as individuals, between what we understand and what we do with that understanding (what you called theory and practice)? If so, I think this is just a very broad question which is too abstract to answer. It needs fleshing out with more concrete questions.

The only thing I can think to say to the question of religiosity is a sentence fragment from a direct disciple of a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna:

Swami Ranganathandaji referred to a "piety-fringed worldliness," in referring to the superficial religiosity that people can fall prey to.

I, in particular, find adherents of my own Christian religion particularly susceptible to this sad phenomenon. However, I don't see it applicable to Buddhist life at all. Please, anyone, redirect my thinking if I have a blindspot here. It seems to me that Buddhists really inhabit a different landscape than Christians do. They try to leave the world behind a lot, whilst many Christians try so very hard to be other-worldly but just can't manage to pull it off.

Goes to show that good intentions aren't enough. You also need a good plan or blueprint. Buddha gave us one.
  • edited December 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Religions are an invention of human beings.
    But what religions teach varies greatly.

Are "somewhat" agree!
    Buddhism neither encourages nor advocates idolatry.
    We have no God, no Being, no Absolute....

Being without God is nothing and will remain deluded!

Then explain why you say that you have not God? The Buddha said that that there is no God?
    We have ourselves, and the Buddha's teaching of Suffering, and the end of suffering.

Simple.

I agree that the teaching of the Buddha is about pain and its Four Truth!Could not you see that there is something strange though? Try to tell the Four Truths: ...

• edited December 2009
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Avalokitesvara, I'm trying to make sense of your question/thesis, as is perhaps reflected above.

Are you perhaps asking whether Buddhists are caught up in religiosity (which is often self-serving in its obtrusive sentimentality) or have found a better way?

My own hunch is that most practitioners of any religion or philosophy would first and foremost see this as an insulting question, if that's what you're really asking.

Or perhaps you are just asking about possible chasms we have, as individuals, between what we understand and what we do with that understanding (what you called theory and practice)? If so, I think this is just a very broad question which is too abstract to answer. It needs fleshing out with more concrete questions.

The only thing I can think to say to the question of religiosity is a sentence fragment from a direct disciple of a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna:

Swami Ranganathandaji referred to a "piety-fringed worldliness," in referring to the superficial religiosity that people can fall prey to.

I, in particular, find adherents of my own Christian religion particularly susceptible to this sad phenomenon. However, I don't see it applicable to Buddhist life at all. Please, anyone, redirect my thinking if I have a blindspot here. It seems to me that Buddhists really inhabit a different landscape than Christians do. They try to leave the world behind a lot, whilst many Christians try so very hard to be other-worldly but just can't manage to pull it off.

Goes to show that good intentions aren't enough. You also need a good plan or blueprint. Buddha gave us one.
    Hello everyone, I greatly respect all religions: the problem and 'that almost all the practice of different religions do not respect their directions, I saw the Jews fasting and eating meat safely, Catholics go with prostitutes and steal ... As concerns our beloved Buddha, the problem is the translation in time: you think he has taught or is happy to see this world in disgrace? "I do not think ...Cheers!:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009

Being without God is nothing and will remain deluded!
    Being with God even more deluded.
    Then explain why you say that you have not God? The Buddha said that that there is no God?
    Yup, pretty much.....
    Such phenomena are unconjecturable and not worth spending time worrying about.
    if God exists? so what?
    If God does not exist? So what?

I agree that the teaching of the Buddha is about pain and its Four Truth!Could not you see that there is something strange though? Try to tell the Four Truths: ...

No, you try. Use few words, and see how you manage.
    I'm great with the Four Noble truths.
    You seem to be the one who has the problem.....
  • edited December 2009
    if God exists? so what?
    In the former, U don't get to sleep until noon on a Sunday
    In the latter, U get to do golf on a Sunday
    It matters.... :D
  • edited December 2009
    Being with God even more deluded.

Yup, pretty much.....
    if God exists? so what?

If a problem has a solution because you are worry? If a problem can not be' solve because you are worry? It's equal ....:)
    edited December 2009
    ronin47 wrote: »
    If a problem has a solution because you are worry? If a problem can not be' solve because you are worry? It's equal ....:)

I think you'll find the only one with a problem and god, is avalok....

I really, frankly couldn't give a damn one way or the other.
    He's the one with the problem about the four NT, not me.

And I actualy don't think he has a clue about the 4 NT, because he has aleready misinterpreted the Buddha's teachings.
    So I think he needs to clarify, not me.
  • edited December 2009
    I think you'll find the only one with a problem and god, is avalok....

I really, frankly couldn't give a damn one way or the other.
    He's the one with the problem about the four NT, not me.

And I actualy don't think he has a clue about the 4 NT, because he has aleready misinterpreted the Buddha's teachings.
    So I think he needs to clarify, not me.

I am sure that our beloved Buddha, to defeat the evils of this world, would not use more 'compassion that currently serves no purpose, but behaves like the protagonist of "Gabriel" Australian film of 2007, with love, of course. ...see this film,please...
    http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/gabriel_movie_poster.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Off topic.
    Nothing to do with current discussion.

You keep steering discussions towards the evils of the world and what we should do to accomplish them.
    The next off-topic post you randomly insert, I'll just delete, ok?

Now, what were you saying about Avalokitesvara's incomprehension of the 4NT?
  • edited December 2009
    Yup, pretty much.....
    if God exists? so what?

Is not a precise answer! I does not appear that the Buddha has never said that God does not exist, otherwise you can cite precisely where and when did he say?

1) The Nature of Suffering
    <O:p</O:p
    2) Suffering's Origin
    3) Suffering's Cessation
    4) The Way Leading to the Cessation of Suffering

Are these?<O:p</O:p
  • edited December 2009
    Off topic.
    Nothing to do with current discussion.

You keep steering discussions towards the evils of the world and what we should do to accomplish them.
    The next off-topic post you randomly insert, I'll just delete, ok?

Now, what were you saying about Avalokitesvara's incomprehension of the 4NT?

I just want to know if this topic is no freedom 'of expression: if so I will be' happy to write articles continue: If not rob 'the trouble thanking her for the kind opportunity' that has given me ... very very nice ... But if she does not see the film as' a judge? Mah ....
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Is not a precise answer! I does not appear that the Buddha has never said that God does not exist, otherwise you can cite precisely where and when did he say?

The Buddha's teachings are not concerned with God. He did not deny nor affirm the existence of God. He only taught suffering and the end of suffering, and the truth of suffering remains the same regardless of if we know there is a God or not.
    1) The Nature of Suffering
    2) Suffering's Origin
    3) Suffering's Cessation
    4) The Way Leading to the Cessation of Suffering

Are these?<O:p</O:p

You said "Could not you see that there is something strange though" - what is so strange? :confused:
    edited December 2009
    I believe that religions are human inventions and that all the prophets or enlightened time, from Jesus to Buddha and others did not want a religion that was created as a system of idolatry, but that the lessons be used to look inside and find there and only there that their religion!
    I think that something has changed in the world, something that leads to a real unity of all teaching and that you also pass from theory to practice, but the real one that can really help those in need beyond everything.

I just want to know if this topic is no freedom 'of expression: ....

The topic is as above.
    Avalokitesvara then steered it towards a belief in God, and something 'strange' about the Four Noble Truths.
    Please stick to topic as outlined by the OP.

Ok? thanks.
    edited December 2009
    Ronin, please start your own thread.
    Ok?
  • edited December 2009
    Ronin, please start your own thread.
    Ok?

Dear Federica, here is no good nothing! If you want me to write what you want, cancel me, do not worry, but shows like 'not there' freedom 'of expression in this forum: not' deleted actions of others that meets the teachings of the Buddha, a fond farewell.:eek:
    edited December 2009
    Do whatever you want.

It's got nothing to do with freedom of expression.

I asked you to stay on topic.
    Eirther stay on topic, or start another thread, where you'll be absolutely free to state your opinions.

What's your problem? :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2009
    Do whatever you want.

It's got nothing to do with freedom of expression.

I asked you to stay on topic.
    Eirther stay on topic, or start another thread, where you'll be absolutely free to state your opinions.

What's your problem? :rolleyes:

No problem for me! Remember the topic and 'was opened by Avalokitesvara and as pointed out by way of introduction he speaks of religion in general, not only of our beloved Buddha: I am so I have always adhered to the rules under the topic: Have a good day!:)
    edited December 2009
    still here? ;)
  • edited December 2009
    The Buddha's teachings are not concerned with God. He did not deny nor affirm the existence of God. He only taught suffering and the end of suffering, and the truth of suffering remains the same regardless of if we know there is a God or not.

Well, this answer seems more correct! So if someone speaks of God or the Absolute does not necessarily mean that we do not care, that's all!
    You said "Could not you see that there is something strange though" - what is so strange? :confused:

Do not you see?
    edited December 2009
    No.
    We're still waiting for you to point it out to us.....we're bracing ourselves for a cataclysmic revelation here, because in all the years we've been following or studying Buddhism, obviously we've missed something of primary significance, so - fire away......
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    No.
    We're still waiting for you to point it out to us.....we're bracing ourselves for a cataclysmic revelation here, because in all the years we've been following or studying Buddhism, obviously we've missed something of primary significance, so - fire away......

I know what it is ! :)
    You forgot to Practise ! :lol:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Do not you see?

Apparently not; that's why I asked. :wtf: Would you care to enlighten me? :wtf:
  • edited December 2009

Try to read better as they have always been reported in all the books and ask yourself if you think it is logical that!
  • edited December 2009

Lighting ..... and 'already' hard to concentrate .... then you go to meditation and contemplation as finally to our beloved Buddha.Can i ask how do you continue to maintain at least the concentration?:confused:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Did I just meet the Doobie Brothers?
  • edited December 2009
    Did I just meet the Doobie Brothers?
    Excuse me:who are the Doobie Brothers?...:confused:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    :lol:
  • edited December 2009
    Lighting ..... and 'already' hard to concentrate .... then you go to meditation and contemplation as finally to our beloved Buddha.Can i ask how do you continue to maintain at least the concentration?:confused:

Concentration: mind

Meditation: Intellect

Contemplation: Soul

The majority of the existence of a sentient being is the first thing, the mind. The majority of beings also can not concentrate and get distracted constantly losing the opportunity to learn.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Concentration: mind

Meditation: Intellect

Contemplation: Soul

:eek: I... I just don't know what to say or where to begin... faint-1.gif :eek:
    I agree that the teaching of the Buddha is about pain and its Four Truth!Could not you see that there is something strange though?

Could ya please elaborate on this? Like, at least give us a vague idea of what you're refering to? "Something" - could you be a little more specific? "Strange" - like "hey, that guy's chin looks like a butt" or...?
  • edited December 2009
    Could ya please elaborate on this? Like, at least give us a vague idea of what you're refering to? "Something" - could you be a little more specific? "Strange" - like "hey, that guy's chin looks like a butt" or...?

If I am one who wants to know what are the four truths of the Buddha and what they mean, what do you say to me your words?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    If you're trying to suggest that "practice" is missing, you've been wasting your time along with mine and everyone else's. If you're suggesting something else, then I have no idea what it is, and since you refuse to simply answer, you are still wasting everyone's time. :confused:
  • edited December 2009
    If you're trying to suggest that "practice" is missing, you've been wasting your time along with mine and everyone else's. If you're suggesting something else, then I have no idea what it is, and since you refuse to simply answer, you are still wasting everyone's time. :confused:

I spoke of logic in reading! If you become aware of suffering, what do you do after?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    That would be the Fourth Noble Truth...
  • edited December 2009
    That would be the Fourth Noble Truth...

Why the fourth? The first: The Nature of Suffering
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I assumed you meant "if you become aware of the nature of suffering" because I'm fairly certain nearly everyone on the planet is already aware of suffering. So yes, if you suffer (...), knowing the nature of suffering would be necessary in order to end it. So after one knows the nature of suffering, it would follow that they would refer to the 4th NT which is the path leading to the cessation of suffering...

...no?
  • edited December 2009
    I assumed you meant "if you become aware of the nature of suffering" because I'm fairly certain nearly everyone on the planet is already aware of suffering. So yes, if you suffer (...), knowing the nature of suffering would be necessary in order to end it. So after one knows the nature of suffering, it would follow that they would refer to the 4th NT which is the path leading to the cessation of suffering...

...no?

The Buddha said: There is suffering (first truth). This is something that seems easy but it is much deeper and can be understood at different levels. For every thing before we realize that it exists because we have awareness, even with direct experience, then they seek the origins, right?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    What is your point? :lol:
  • edited December 2009
    What is your point? :lol:

Continue with the reasoning!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Well that's enough "enlightenment" for one day for me.
  • edited December 2009
    Well that's enough "enlightenment" for one day for me.

:) You're very nice!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    xD
    edited December 2009
    The Buddha said that (1) there is suffering, stress, unsatisfactoriness, dhukka.
    The Buddha said that (2) The basic cause of suffering is clinging and grasping.
    The Buddha said that (3) There is a way to engineer the cessation of this Suffering caused by clinging and grasping.
    The Buddha said that (4) the way is to follow the Eightfold Path.

Where is the 'something strange' in that?

Kindly get to the point and clarify what YOUR problem is, and why YOU find 'something strange' about it, because for the life of me, I have no idea what you are referring to, and can only imagine you have added your own complicated interpretation to this tried-and-tested series of Noble Truths, added 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 and come up with 38...... :rolleyes:

Which comes as no surprise whatsoever, unfortunately.
  • edited December 2009
    The Buddha said that (1) there is suffering, stress, unsatisfactoriness, dhukka.
    The Buddha said that (2) The basic cause of suffering is clinging and grasping.
    The Buddha said that (3) There is a way to engineer the cessation of this Suffering caused by clinging and grasping.
    The Buddha said that (4) the way is to follow the Eightfold Path.

Where is the 'something strange' in that?

You must be able to see you there's something strange, or at least make you come a doubt! And since you think you know things just because you've studied what you were told to study, then remains well with your beliefs.
    It is not important that you tell me what's so strange, what is most important is being able to see it!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    You must be able to see you there's something strange, or at least make you come a doubt!

We have no idea what "strange thing" you're refering to. Cut to the chase.
    And since you think you know things just because you've studied what you were told to study, then remains well with your beliefs.

Assumption.
    It is not important that you tell me what's so strange, what is most important is being able to see it!

Your Enlglish is terrible, and you're vague and cryptic. Perhaps if you'd point out all of the "strangeness," we'd be able to see it for ourselves.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I believe that time will lose those philosophizes and does not move to prevent a child dies every 6 seconds in this wonderful world: certainly if you open a beautiful book in front of the TV with popcorn is 'more' comfortable ....

...What? :wtf:

I don't know what you just said or what it has to do with what I said, but this Thread is more amusing and entertaining than t.v. could possibly be.
    edited December 2009
    Mundus, the two of them are talking crap, in the guise of appearing worldly and wise.
    Because, yet again, this is a thread without purpose, reason or sensible discussion, I'm closing it.
    Avalo and ronin can discuss this between them.
    See if they understand each other, because I sure as hell don't and am not going to waste any more time trying to engage either of them in sensible discussion, because either they're grammatically incapable, or they're just being obtuse.
    I suspect a hefty dose of both.

Thread closed.
    edited December 2009
    After a brief private discussion with Avalo, I'm agreeing to re-open the thread, on the proviso and understanding that he cease being so enigmatic, and speak freely.
    Here's hoping we get to the bottom of what is particularly strange about the Four Noble Truths.....
    I await Avalokitesvara's clarification and expounding of his opinion.
  • edited December 2009
    After a brief private discussion with Avalo, I'm agreeing to re-open the thread, on the proviso and understanding that he cease being so enigmatic, and speak freely.
    Here's hoping we get to the bottom of what is particularly strange about the Four Noble Truths.....
    I await Avalokitesvara's clarification and expounding of his opinion.

Very nice federica ... :)

I found a strange arrangement of the four truths, and more specifically the third and fourth that seem reversed. Before finding the cessation of suffering must find the way Leading to the Cessation of suffering. The cessation of suffering (third truth) is the final state (fourth truth).

It 'clear now?
    edited December 2009
    Very nice federica ... :)

I found a strange arrangement of the four truths, and more specifically the third and fourth that seem reversed. Before finding the cessation of suffering must find the way Leading to the Cessation of suffering. The cessation of suffering (third truth) is the final state (fourth truth).

It 'clear now?
    No, because you must refer to all the four noble truths. The sequence is both logical and self-explanatory.....
    look at it this way:

Noble truth #1: You're cake is sinking in the middle.
    Noble truth #2: It's sinking in the middle, because you've got the recipe wrong.
    Noble truth #3: There is a way to stop the cake sinking in the middle.
    Noble truth #4: The way, is to use the right recipe.

See?