Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Any young buddhist out there?

edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone!
I will just share some basic stuff first... I would like everyone to know where I am coming from. :)

Well, I am Ashley. I live in Colorado with my family and I am 16 years old. I know I am not that young. I am know I am not that old. But here I am, in the middle of things now.
I was raised Christian, but never really was a firm believer, and was always questioning it (though I think it is a lovely religion, it has changed a lot since Jesus was born ;) and is now no longer, imho, exactly what it was meant to be.)

I have recently stumbled over buddhism, and love everything about it. I study buddhist texts and ideas more than I study my school materials... not sure the teachers appreciate it :D but I can't help it, I want to learn more and practice more and apply more. Buddhism was meant for me, like it was meant for us all, once we realize it, we all have a buddha nature, hehe ;)
Anyway, I had tried talking to my mom about buddhism at one point awhile back, and though I didn't mention my interest, but rather a friend of mines, she didn't like the idea of it and changed the topic quickly. So my mom does not know that I like buddhism, nor that I practice it. I feel like I am hiding something when she looks at me with that "You've changed..." look. It's also really inconvenient that my interest is so high, yet I have to sneak around with buddhist books, and cannot go to a center or temple... not the end of the world, though I would very much like to go.

What are some of your guys' stories with meeting and getting into buddhism? Any family trouble? School trouble? etc. I would love to hear, if you would like to share!

Thanks and with much metta,
Ashley

Comments

• JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Ashley,
    Young is relative. I'm biologically old enough to be your dad but relate to having to sneak around and hide things which one is excited about. It has been difficult for my family to accept that I study Buddhism and use what I can from it. I say little and try to remain respectful of their beliefs. The prayers before meals and any other thing they feel the need to, I remain quiet in. I try to think of the Metta Bhavana towards them during this time. Being told I'm going to hell has been tough but it is at that point I tell my family to respect my beliefs as I respect theirs.

It was during a time when I seriously thought I might be an Atheist that several atheists suggested that I check out Buddhism. I am what you might call an Agnostic Buddhist as I don't think anyone can know the whole truth, but that is a matter for each individual to figure out for themselves. I'm glad to hear that you are excited about this. Just take it slow and don't burn out. By the way, are you meditating? Great place to start.

My father was an Atheist when I became a Born Again Christian in the 80's. In retrospect, I was excited and wanted to share my excitement with my father so "he could get saved too". He and I were the hold outs in the family. I eventually quit discussing it with him as it led to hard feelings on both sides.

One question to think about. What would happen if you told your mom the truth about your interest in Buddhism and asking if you could attend a temple. That kind of honesty imparts and shows respect. You don't have to point out all the nuances of the Dhammapadda, but state what you want. You may want to go to www.buddhanet.net to find a temple near you if you need to take public transportation and earn the bus fare yourself. Heck, it might be close enough to walk. Not doing your schoolwork to study Buddhist texts will not gain you any respect from your mother. Plus, if you decide not to become a Budhhist nun, you may want to go to college. They are kind of picky about grades there. Just some quick thoughts.

I'm glad you're enjoying your journey. Keep us up to date, please!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    We have a delightful young member here, who's only 12, but is a bright kid and I think he's an asset to our forum.
    And now - we have you.
    What a bonus!
    Look, I have friends in Colorado, and the wife is a Buddhist, but finds it difficult occasionally to maintain and upkeep her practise, because they're fairly isolated and out in the wild blue yonder...
    So I do understand how difficult it must be for you.
    When I first joined this forum, I lived in France, and in a tiny village of just under 1,000 people, so not only were they foreign to me, but they thought I was a weirdo.
    I lived right on the edge of the village, too, so the isolation was almost complete. to say it was a remote place, is an understatement.
    but here?
    You're never on your own.
    We call this place home.
    In fact, there's a thread running about what our home looks like, so you can have a room entirely of your design here. (The kitchen's a blast!!)
    We've even got a Member's Attic where you can go, offload, vent and say whatever you need to say, unseen from prying eyes (of lurkers and non-members).

Be at peace here.
    You're welcome here.
    (just wipe your feet if you've been working in the garden..... ;))
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Ashley,

I was 26 when I told my parents that I am not Christian and it was still very difficult for them to accept it and they still think I am weird for meditating and stuff. (My sister literally asked if I have the ability to levitate, I couldn't help but laugh at that one). The truth is that they will love you no matter what, your job is to be as honest and just as you can be. If you do in fact decide to follow this path you will be different and your family will notice it, it is just a fact.

Good luck on your journey and welcome!

P.S. Do your homework :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    You mean you can't levitate, QW?!

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Just as a thought there are many parallels between Christianity and Buddhism and the lovely thing is it isn't exclusive- I think there are Christian Buddhists on this forum. I would imagine many followers of religions have an 'us and them' feeling based on ignorance of what the other is like. An automatic suspicion. This book would probably interest them enough to at leasrt find out about it for themselves. The author is difficult to fault:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Buddha-Christ-Thich-Nhat/dp/1573225681

Good luck, Blueface
    edited January 2010
    Palzang,

To levitate would be quite the party trick but for now this smily will have to suffice :om:
  • edited January 2010
    I am 14. My parents are Christians, but ever since I was about 10, I haven't been. Recently, I've started opening up to them more, trying to explain my reasons for not believing it. They didn't seem to understand. So faith and belief is not a subject I feel I can talk to them about any more. I am really interested in Buddhism, and they don't get it. I go to a Christian school as well, so it's quite awkward sometimes...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hi Chalk (if I may be so familiar),

I think you'll find several other young people here who are in basically the same boat, so you needn't feel alone anymore. Plus you can talk to us old-timers who have been through similiar situations. I think you're in the right place to check Buddhism out!

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Hehe, just to clear the air a bit here...
    I do my homework! I have, so far in my career in high school, 32 A's and 2 B's. Fairly decent, I think :). I do my homework and such, as well as study when needed, but mostly I am good in my classes and thus don't need to study those. However, buddhism is new and not on material I know... so that's why I prefer studying buddhism more than school... I never meant to imply my grades were bad nor that I didn't do my homework. :)

Now that that is out of the way...
    @ jerbear:
    I consider myself Agnostic as well. I don't see how, besides trusting readings from the bible, anyone could prove the existance of a god. I am respectful of all other religions, I just personally like things that I can prove for myself, or see myself through expirience and practice. That, I think, is an amazing aspect of buddhism :).

Also, yes I am meditating. Once a day for about a month now! I really like it; though I've heard most beginners don't normally, it helps me stop wondering off into thoughts about the past and the future. I have gotten better at, if not only by just noticing that I am wondering, staying in the now. Though I know there are more benefits to meditating than just that, I am noticing my thoughts more, and I like the better understanding of myself that I seem to be gaining.

I feel like I am writing a lot... ahh! Sorry to bestow this novel upon you, I am a bit wordy :D. But anyway, I have gone to buddhanet.org, infact their ebooks are really really nice, and I have been studying a lot from there! I have found all the temples near me... but sadly I live in the mountains, aka the middle of nowhere, and the closest temple is an hour drive :/.

@Federica and Quiet_witness
    Thanks for the info on some cool stuff on the site, I appreciate it! Federica
    And thanks for empathizing! Though I think being younger is also helpful, if I had a family who was more dependent on me, I would not be able to get away and meditate for awhile, or read, etc. So hopefully I can make this work out, not too many excuses that aren't managable, eh? :) And you're right, I will eventually have to talk to my mom... I mean I have /talked/ to her, just not too much because of her discontempt, blah :P

And @TheChalkCentimetre
    I would love to talk to you more! If you ever have something you would like to talk about with buddhism. :)

Okay this is getting long... :D
    Thanks everyone!
  • edited January 2010
    Hey, I'm 16 too and live in Seattle, WA
    Ive recently joined a Nichiren Buddhist temple on a island right next to the city.

Seeing young buddhists is rare because most tennagers were too cought up in there ego.
    Ive been on that "popular" side of my highschool and ive just gotton tired of it because all these people that ive been friends with have started smoking weed or starting to go to raves even desperate for more attention.

Ive come to the point where i am pleased with my looks an don't have to be looking in a mirror all the time and i know what people think of my so im not so self concios about everything. After ive realized that i started focus more on myself and got very interested in buddhism. Right now im in a Nichiren temple, but i am also practicing zen and the monk at my temple is fine with it.

Also im in the same situation with my parents, hehe. My dads really uptight.

But i have a car so i can manage to go to the temples
  • edited January 2010
    I'm surprised that there are so many people younger than me to be honest, I only just joined and there's been 3 people younger join since! It might just be me though, I'm 22 and I still feel like I'm a kid :p
  • edited January 2010
    yeah but the sad thing is that alot of the young ones arn't real buddhists but wan that image because there obsessed with asian art and mangas and they wanna be that whole zen image:lol:

u can pick them out on this forum by the ones that have screenshots of final fantasy charactors as there main pic
  • edited January 2010
    Maybe eric, but I don't think we should pick out who is and isn't a "real" buddhist... I guess if they are doing it with the wrong intentions, then they themselves will be the one that suffers from it, right? Fortunately enough their practice doesn't hurt me ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Andrew, 15, Upstate New York but soon to be Southern Oregon... Wow. It's really cool to see so many other Young people interested in Buddhism here. It gives me hope that I may eventually find someone else my age that also has an interest in it. Even though that has yet to happen yet, or they simply don't tell anyone about it at my school. [ Which doesn't surprise me. It's a fundamentalist Christian school. :lol: ]
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    18 is young enough right ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah Saffron, would make sense, I would honestly say there are only a handful of kids at my school who know I am interested in buddhism. I would imagine other kids would do the same thing... buddhism has a negative connotation to a lot of people. :/ Fundamentalist christian school... sorry to hear that :D

And Caz, nope, you're WAY too old! :)

Hehe, but I am glad to see that there are fellow youngins out there!
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yeah Saffron, would make sense, I would honestly say there are only a handful of kids at my school who know I am interested in buddhism. I would imagine other kids would do the same thing... buddhism has a negative connotation to a lot of people. :/ Fundamentalist christian school... sorry to hear that :D

And Caz, nope, you're WAY too old! :)

Hehe, but I am glad to see that there are fellow youngins out there!

Awww damn back in my day youngsters had repsect....:p
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If you are interested in Buddhism and want to come here and act respectfully, you are welcome here. Just because some of us are a bit older than others means nothing. I'm jealous in some ways that I never really heard much about Buddhism until my mid 30's. If I would have heard sooner, I might have become a monk. Or a monkey's uncle, not sure which. :)

But seriously, it is wise to let people explore what they will for the time they will as it might come to fruition later. I took a break from my Buddhist studies and just getting back to it. Many could say that I'm not a "real" Buddhist. I truly don't care as I don't call myself anything except as one who questions. Agnostic I use for ease, but that is open for change at any time. Just keep looking and asking and you might find what you're looking for.

QW, cool smiley but if you do levitate, let us know. And can you videotape it also? That way we can prove it so that skeptics (like me) won't say it's a trick.
  • edited January 2010
    I was joking... I don't really hang out with many kids my age merely because I don't really relate to them. They want to talk about whose "hot" and what teacher is the biggest b**** ever! but I rather talk about things like philosophy. I was just wondering if there were young buddhist merely because I think they would be able to relate better.
    But seriously, it is wise to let people explore what they will for the time they will as it might come to fruition later
    But seriously, it is wise to let people explore what they will for the time they will as it might come to fruition later

which is why I don't think it is fair to judge someone elses practice's validity... :/
  • edited January 2010
    Another young'un here, 17 and myself brought up in a strict Catholic household, i can relate to wanting to expand my views and figure out my beliefs for myself rather than repeating dogma.

Nice to have you on the forums :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I was joking... I don't really hang out with many kids my age merely because I don't really relate to them. They want to talk about whose "hot" and teacher is a b****, but I rather talk about things like philosophy.

The Buddha taught impermanence, so thankfully school will end some day! Then you'll be out there with adults. Well, actually all most of them want to talk about is who's "hot" what a b**** their boss is! Oh well...

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Haha... drats :( I had high hopes Palzang :'(
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    That'll teach ya! ;)

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    I'am young buddhist. I am only 11 years old and my friend kept telling me about buddhisim. So one night I researched it and I found that buddhisim was the right religion for me. I was also christined but like you christianity was not my cup of tea.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Welcome, Love'n. Believe me, it's good to start young! You're fortunate, as are the other young people on this site, to have encountered the Dharma at a young age. Stick with it, and you can really achieve something in this life worth doing.

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    Look Palzang, lov'n life has already learned the levitating smiley. I forsee great potential with this one.
  • edited January 2010
    ^Hahahahah *copies::om: and pastes: :om: * Hey look, I mastered levitating! *cough cough*... alright, I only wish.

And Love'N'Life 8 you are really lucky to have come across the path early. Are you Love'N'Peace's friend?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Well, what you don't know, QW, is that Love'n can actually levitate! Eat your heart out...

Palzang
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Wow! Glad I found this thread! I'm twelve, was you talking about me federica? I'm flattered:lol: Love'n'Life (or KJ) is a very good friend of mine, we go to the same school, we're in the same year, the same form, and we have pretty much the same intelligence so we're in the same sets (althouth admitedly KJ's a wee bit clevererererer...). I am also the guilty can't-keep-my-life-story-to-myself who never shuts his gob about Buddhism:o Or anything else for that matter:o
    Anyway, very glad I found this thread as I mentioned and I'm agnostic too.
    Well know somebody mentions it in a few years I might meet a nice person on here LOL. Tell you what this forum could do with? A dating thread :D Obviously for adults just incase anyone here's a Pervy Pete ;)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    ^What is a set and form? Ah, American schooling here... all we have are grades (years) and... yeah >_<

Haha dating forum post would look something like (totallllly joking ;)):
    "Hey, I am a 27 year old women who is looking for a fellow buddhist who enjoys long meditations, err... and long walks on the beach too I suppose... ummm and someone who can love me, but not too get attatched to me, and is okay with me not getting too attatched to them either. A person who can chant for hours at a time with me and not get distracted, someone who is not ignorant, ignrorant people just annoy me, it's like 'hello, this is reality here, your emotions and desires and worldly attatchments are sooo not what's going down in the world, just open your eyes!' So if you are that someone I am looking for, please send me some metta, and I will send you some. We can strengthen our compassion! Anyway we will try to meet... but not make it an over the top ordeal, to see eachother. Thank you. Buddhist lady."

Hahahah... I made myself giggle. But serious question... if you aren't supposed to get attatched, and well... people often do when dating and such... how does that go down?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Wanted: Bodhisattvas. Willing to work long eons. No pay but great benefits. Must be willing to relocate to hell realms or other realms as needed. Call 1-800-888-WWBD.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    ^ heheheh, okay yours wins :)
    edited January 2010
    I won't try. But you've got to see the point. Who more likely go out with that woman, a Buddhist or a non-Buddhist? I sure as hell wouldn't but somebody might. Now that woman is an over-the-top Buddhist. Anyway, love creates happiness, happiness creates kindness, kindness creates love.... A wonderbubble wheel. It's be a family forum in ten-twenty years times, with not people but new Buddhist families on it. It would be great :D LOL
    Love & Laughs,
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    There are six forms in our school and the students from all around are randomly put in a form. For the first three years it's three forms mixed in sets then the other forms mixed with the others for the different sets. In year 10 when you have chosen your subjects the sets get even more precise. All the forms are mixed together.
    Sets are so people are working in the right set; with people of similar intellect and the right amount of teaching. In this year it's only English and Maths in sets so me and KJ (or KJ and I) are in top sets for both. :buck:
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    You have a brother, i'm 17 now.
  • edited January 2010
    That sounds really confusing Joe.... hahah. I know, a buddhist like that wouldn't need someone because everyone would just likely think she's crazy, and way too finiky too. Palzang's ad was funny :).
    Hello Theater.
    edited January 2010
    Now I S,

I was laughing pretty hard on your add you might want to start selling profiles for match.com.

Joe, I had no idea you are as old as you are, that says wonders about your intelligence. I was thinking you were 18 or so. I am amazed by you young'ns. When I was your age I only thought about biking and snowboarding.
    edited January 2010
    Theater wrote: »
    You have a brother, i'm 17 now.
    Hiya Theater
    edited January 2010
    That sounds really confusing Joe.... hahah. I know, a buddhist like that wouldn't need someone because everyone would just likely think she's crazy, and way too finiky too. Palzang's ad was funny :).
    Hello Theater.
    It's not as confusing as it sounds :lol:
    edited January 2010
    Now I S,

I was laughing pretty hard on your add you might want to start selling profiles for match.com.

Joe, I had no idea you are as old as you are, that says wonders about your intelligence. I was thinking you were 18 or so. I am amazed by you young'ns. When I was your age I only thought about biking and snowboarding.
    Thanks for the compliment QW. Now a days we stay glued to the computer :lol:
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    How did you come across buddhism Joe?
    edited January 2010
    My parent divorced when I was seven and I became a bit pessimistic and unhappy, it didn't work so when I was about eight a swapped to a happy-clappy person. I wouldn't be able to say if I was a Christian or not but I did to prayer a day and acted all happy. I'd worn out my suicidal and my very unnaturally happy side was crushed as I was bullied a lot when I was ten. I made up my own religion which was Spirology but when I turned eleven and we had secondary school next year I thought I should have a proper religion. I looked for ages to see what was most like Spirology and one Simpsons I saw Lisa turn Buddhist so I said to myself; 'I'll see what that is.' And as I read I fell in love with it and a few months later I became a Buddhist :D A bunch of chance if you like.
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yet again The Simpsons proves itself to be the best thing to happen in this world :lol:
    I love The Simpsons! :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    There are no accidents, Joe.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Hehehe. That's really funny Joe. :) Who would of thought the simpsons could have changed someone's life? :) I am glad everything worked out for you then! I guess there is good even in the places we don't neccesarily like to look in.
    edited January 2010
    The Simpsons do it again :D
    Say Palzang, do Buddhists believe in coincidences or everything happens for a reason? Or is it a mixture?
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    I guess you could say I'm a young Buddhist, I'm 23, although, I sometimes feel more 16 than anything...
  • edited January 2010
    i used to be a young Buddhist.
  • edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    The Simpsons do it again :D
    Say Palzang, do Buddhists believe in coincidences or everything happens for a reason? Or is it a mixture?
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    everything that happens, happens through causes and conditions.
  • edited January 2010
    Hmm... but I think it is a good question. If you look at it through a Karma perspective, the things we go through are because of Karma, right? Would karma be the cause and condition then? Haha I am not sure anyway.