Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Conditioned responses - being aware

MountainsMountains Veteran
edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Thank you all for your kind responses to my feeling overwhelmed with Buddhism. I think I knew already that simply following the noble eightfold path, the four noble truths, and taking refuge in the three jewels is what I must concentrate on for the moment, but it's always good to hear what others have to say. Thank you.

As I have begin, ever so slightly, to become more self-aware, I find that I chastise myself when I find myself having a conditioned response to a situation. It's taken me a lifetime to 'learn' these responses, but it seems that every time I have a thought (particularly a negative thought) about a person or a situation, my "conscious self" (is that the right term?) gives "me" a whack on the knuckles for having it.

I know that we can't help our conditioned responses, but we can (and I do) seek to be rid of them as I try to follow the eightfold path, etc. Is it "normal" to chastise one's self like this? Does it accomplish anything? Is just being aware that a response or a thought is there enough to begin to extinguish it? It doesn't seem so. Those 'knee jerk' responses pop up seemingly of their own free will.

Thank you for your kind thoughts on this..

Mtns

Comments

• comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010
    This is a perfect example of practice. I've been practicing for years and I still have those conditioned things going on in my head. :)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Is it "normal" to chastise one's self like this?
    Yes.
    Does it accomplish anything?
    No. :-)
    Is just being aware that a response or a thought is there enough to begin to extinguish it? It doesn't seem so. Those 'knee jerk' responses pop up seemingly of their own free will.
    Being aware of them is a big step forward, but you're right, it's not enough to eliminate them. All phenomena arise because of causes and conditions. If the conditions are there, then whenever the causes arise, the unwanted response will arise as well.

Different schools of Buddhism have different ways of dealing with these responses, but they all seem to have some way of dealing with them. It must be a common problem. :-)
  • edited February 2010
    how 'bout transforming conditioned responses, rather than trying to eliminate them - anger/compassion, greed/generosity, ignorance/wisdom

:):):)
    edited February 2010
    No offense Brother Bob but that kind of sounds dumb.
  • edited February 2010
    well, transforming anger into compassion is the 9th of the ten precepts. the brahma vihara's are a transformation. lojong practice. watering seeds. whatever.

you cannot eliminate responding to stuff happening you can transform how you respond, unless of course your dead or unconscious.

the Buddha didn't quit responding to stuff happening nor did he teach that. As
    I imagine it the teachings are about transforming our relationship to stuff happening - the natural way we respond through discipline, which, by the way, may be to simply sit in mindful awareness.

:D
    edited February 2010
    Well since you put it like that it doesn't sounds so dumb after all.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2010

you cannot eliminate responding to stuff happening
    you can transform how you respond,
    true

- the natural way we respond through discipline [is]
    simply [we be] mindful [to stuff happening]
    when there is seeing we do not fall into the 'thing that we see' but stay with 'the seeing' mindfully (namely we are with the understanding that 'this too will pass')
    when there is hearing..........
    when there is feeling of taste/smell/touch............etc.

hard but can:)
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited February 2010
    well, transforming anger into compassion is the 9th of the ten precepts. the brahma vihara's are a transformation. lojong practice. watering seeds. whatever.

you cannot eliminate responding to stuff happening you can transform how you respond, unless of course your dead or unconscious.

the Buddha didn't quit responding to stuff happening nor did he teach that. As
    I imagine it the teachings are about transforming our relationship to stuff happening - the natural way we respond through discipline, which, by the way, may be to simply sit in mindful awareness.

The thing is, I think transforming emotions in that moment requires that one struggles with an emotion. Not accepting or judging sets one up for the self-doubt and negative attitude the OP suggested. Good emotions vs bad emotions.

Sitting in mindful awareness on the other hand, means no struggling, no judging. The transformation may occur, but not as a consequence of a persons volition.

I would suggest you can eliminate responding without dying or being unconscious. By being open, accepting and non-judgemental, you do eliminate the need to respond.
    edited February 2010
    That made sense, too.
  • edited February 2010
    Emotions cannot be transformed in the moment they arise. They are conditioned by volitional action (karma) in previous moments. Struggling with that which is arising in the moment only creates tension (resistance) to stuff happening, which may condition us to aversion. This may definitely result in negativity. The application of stable tranquil mindfulness and mental alertness are the disciplined responses (way to struggle) with stuff happening that allows us to have clear awareness of the arising, enduring, and passing of preconditioned emotional responses and, with some concentration and wisdom the ability to transform those conditioned emotional responses, in future moments, to more beneficial ones with volitional action in the moment.

All we have to really work with is volitional action. That's what conditions us. That's the simple beauty of the Buddhadharma.

Try it sometime.

edited February 2010
    That makes sense.
  • edited February 2010
    you so funny :lol:
    edited February 2010
    you so funny :lol:

That makes sense, too. LOL
  • edited February 2010
    yeah buddy! thank you!! :D
    edited February 2010
    Glad I could help.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Thank you all for your kind responses to my feeling overwhelmed with Buddhism. I think I knew already that simply following the noble eightfold path, the four noble truths, and taking refuge in the three jewels is what I must concentrate on for the moment, but it's always good to hear what others have to say. Thank you.

As I have begin, ever so slightly, to become more self-aware, I find that I chastise myself when I find myself having a conditioned response to a situation. It's taken me a lifetime to 'learn' these responses, but it seems that every time I have a thought (particularly a negative thought) about a person or a situation, my "conscious self" (is that the right term?) gives "me" a whack on the knuckles for having it.

I know that we can't help our conditioned responses, but we can (and I do) seek to be rid of them as I try to follow the eightfold path, etc. Is it "normal" to chastise one's self like this? Does it accomplish anything? Is just being aware that a response or a thought is there enough to begin to extinguish it? It doesn't seem so. Those 'knee jerk' responses pop up seemingly of their own free will.

Mtns

Dear Mountains

Sometimes practicing Buddhism is like opening a long lost or forgetten curtain.

From behind the stage we peek, looking anxiously, anxiously at what arises.

And what arises is this: greed, hatred and delusion. Ergo, wisdom, spirituality and enlightenment. When has it ever been different, dear one?

Practice zazen. Then over time, even the castagations about what arises can settle down themself.

With best wishes,

Abu
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Emotions cannot be transformed in the moment they arise. They are conditioned by volitional action (karma) in previous moments.

Thanks for all these responses. I guess my dilemma comes from this: when something happens, an emotional/mental response rooted in my past experience comes to the fore. Often before I'm even aware that this conditioned response has occurred, I've blurted out something or done something that makes the situation worse. If I were able (and maybe I will be able to with practice) sense the conditioned response and then short circuit the built-in response to it I would be able to avoid the negativity of my response. But there's the rub - that's really, really hard to do!

Ideas?

Mtns
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited February 2010
    =Mountains;8564
    dilemma comes from this: when something [seeing, hearing, feeling of taste, smell and touch, knowing (thought comes into mind)] happens, an emotional/mental response rooted in my past experience [certain thing or person] comes to the fore.
    each seeing , next to no time there is knowing
    each hearing, next to no time there is knowing
    each feeling, next to no time there is knowing

we always react to this 'knowing'

try to grasp the difference between the seeing and the knowing followed by the seeing is imprtant in finding the key to stop conditioning our future:)
  • edited February 2010
    Dear Mountains,

I learned a three step approach to working with this kind of stuff.

1. Awareness - Shamatha training to accomplish vivid awareness of the arising, enduring, and passing of conditioned responses to stuff happening. The easiest level of training is clear awareness of the response as it passes. This is the place to start. At this level one simply trains to be very tranquil while remaining sensitive to whatever's going on in the body or mind - body in the body, feelings in the feelings, thoughts in the thoughts, etc. without attempting to stop or control these things in any way. This in itself takes some discipline because we have a tendency to want to "fix" what we believe is broken. To achieve success in this endeavor one must resist the urge to latch on to anything and just observe with a kind of joyful humor; remembering it's just the play of stuff happening and by this process you're dealing with it.

2. Control - Once vivid awareness of responses is accomplished one may work with karma to begin conditioning the self to alternative ways of responding to internal or external triggers. In this process one begins to pay some attention to what they may have sensed (seen, felt, tasted, touched, smelled, thought) in association with a certain conditioned response and tests alternative responses to those triggering events. This approach requires one to begin gaining a clear understanding and disciplined application of consciously chosen volitional actions; like applying compassion to stuff happening which may have previously given rise to anger, etc. In order to do this one may need to train for some time to cultivate strong compassion through specific methods; like Lojong Training, etc. (their are many techniques for accomplishing this in all traditions)

3. Skill - Once one has found alternatives that work for them the process of habituation begins. This is the process of embodying compassion, etc. through analytical meditation training and mindfulness. It's the way to transform responses and "be", in a new way, with stuff happening.

There's an old story that goes something like this - I walked down the street and fell into a hole. I didn't want to but I did. I thought, "I don't want to do that again." The next day I walked down the same street and fell into the same hole. This time I decided to do something about it, so the next time I walked down that street I paid really close attention to the hole and fell in again! The next time I walked down the street I made it half way around the edge before I fell in. Finally, I walked down another street.

It's like we're conditioned to walk down the same ole street and fall into that same ole hole over and over again. We may decide to change it but as long as we choose to go down the same ole street we're likely to fall into the same ole hole. So, if I get mad when certain things happen, I'll keep being mad if I don't change directions - change the way I go (my karmically imprinted response) by taking another street (doing things differently).

Good Luck

I wish you well.

• NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited February 2010
    If I were able (and maybe I will be able to with practice) sense the conditioned response and then short circuit the built-in response to it I would be able to avoid the negativity of my response.
    Once I was half asleep watching some chinese kung fu movie, and I had a sense that something on the wall (I didn't actually see it clearly because the room was dark), I thought it was just an impression and kept watching the movie, until I decided to turn on the light. I was quite placid, almost asleep.

What I saw then was this BIG spider. I was terrified, so I killed it (On my defense it was probably a Brazilian Wandering Spider, with a chance of seriously evenomating me, so we were equals fighting for the same territory, ironically over the sounds of fight from a kung fu movie :P). For the next week, I couldn't sleep well and I was startled by the silliest things.

My point is: the spot and the spider were the same, but only when I realized its true nature, or potential, I started worrying about it. If you know that when you get triggered bad things happen, perhaps you should focus more on this side, by giving it some thought, than on the immediate satisfaction of your habitual reaction.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for all these responses. I guess my dilemma comes from this: when something happens, an emotional/mental response rooted in my past experience comes to the fore. Often before I'm even aware that this conditioned response has occurred, I've blurted out something or done something that makes the situation worse. If I were able (and maybe I will be able to with practice) sense the conditioned response and then short circuit the built-in response to it I would be able to avoid the negativity of my response. But there's the rub - that's really, really hard to do!

Ideas?

Mtns

Yeah. As they say, old habits are hard to break. Many of our habitual tendencies are deep rooted. Being aware is a good start, I think. Eventually through practice, you may see them as they arise more often. I think you've got the idea though!

:)
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Delude yourself into the void. Experience fear in it's greatest form then you will wake up. His "teachings" are just there so people don't harm themselves whilst looking for the truth. The truth is that there is no absolute truth and that you're in the void. You are the void. Everything is it. Meditate. Watch your thoughts. You will then realize that dualistic thinking is the cause of your search and your suffering. You will then realize that you don't even exist. Question yourself. Buddha was born into the Brahman caste, in order to make his teachings approachable he had to disguise the truth which is unteachable in words with "teachings".. That's why Zen Buddhism is called direct transmission. It's just this. It's awareness. It's pure consciousness perceiving without the lens of the ego. I can't explain it. No one can because our language is dualistic. That's why people say that "those who know do not tell and those who do not know tell".. Stop with all the words. Simply practice Zazen, you will realize it soon enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyCrcpDs58
    edited February 2010
    Emotions cannot be transformed in the moment they arise.

With continued practice, the possibilities are much broader than this.

_/\_
  • edited February 2010
    It's taken me a lifetime to 'learn' these responses, but it seems that every time I have a thought (particularly a negative thought) about a person or a situation, my "conscious self" (is that the right term?) gives "me" a whack on the knuckles for having it.

Mtns

Yeah its normal :)

What I do for this is metta practice. I find it makes me generally more forgiving of everything. For me it changed my reaction to negativity (or annoyingly repetitive thoughts and ideas) from:

"Damnit!"

to

"lol I saw that, you ;)"

Then the thoughts can stay the same (not that they will) but the reaction is radically different.
  • edited February 2010
    With continued practice, the possibilities are much broader than this.

_/\_

Continued practice transforms the base (basis) of momentary manifestation, which may include transforming the base (cause) for the manifestation of emotional response. This occurs by volitional action, which may be Shikantaza and Shikantaza may become the base and response, in time.

I imagine transforming the base so that no response occurs is beyond human existence. Just try not breathing for a couple of minutes.

• ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    tansform the 3 poison roots to the 3 virtue of Bodhi ( boddhi wisdom, liberation from the bond of karma , compassion ) - the principle known as changing poisons into medicine
    edited February 2010
    Continued practice transforms the base (basis) of momentary manifestation, which may include transforming the base (cause) for the manifestation of emotional response. This occurs by volitional action, which may be Shikantaza and Shikantaza may become the base and response, in time.

I imagine transforming the base so that no response occurs is beyond human existence. Just try not breathing for a couple of minutes.

I think you will find that if you continue your practice, you will see that more is possible than you now imagine, or posit.

The first part of your post sounds like theory jumbled which can happen :D

Well wishes,
    Abu
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Floating_Abu,

Thank you for questioning my understanding. I'm attempting to write from the heart in this forum, as simply and briefly as I can. Kind of as a practice. As far as how I've come to form my own heartfelt understanding on this particular topic, well, it kinda arises from, hum, 30 years of study, contemplation and meditation with dependent origination; especially the twelve links and of course about 15 years of study and practice with Abhidharma and about 10 years with Prajnaparamita.

I'd be happy to write volumes of blah blah blah and edit quotes from authoritative sources, if that may satisfy you. Although, I'm not really interested in doing that. Given this, may I recommend that you put some time and joyous effort into the study and practice of things such as these?

What's the basis of your understanding and judgment?

;););)
  • edited February 2010
    Hi,

Contemplating my last response, some disagreement arose.

May I rephrase.

Floating_Abu,

My understanding on this particular topic arises from study, contemplation and meditation with dependent origination; especially the twelve links, Abhidharma and Prajnaparamita.

Will you please share your understanding of these teachings and where I may have misunderstandings?
    edited February 2010
    Hi Bob

I mean no disrespect to your understandings or studies. May it all continue to flourish.

Best wishes

Abu
  • edited February 2010
    Hi Bob

I mean no disrespect to your understandings or studies. May it all continue to flourish.

Best wishes

Abu

Abu,

I obviously felt a little irritated and expressed that in my first response, sorry. I'm still working on gracious tolerance. I can't imagine a good reason not to question another's understanding of things. I guess what I wish for is that those who question offer well investigated, analyzed, and verified information that clearly shows where some misunderstanding may have arisen in the mind of the one being questioned.

In this case, I'm asking for some discussion of the points presented in reference to how they may not accord with my understanding of dependent origination; especially in light of the Twelve Links, Abhidarma, and Prajnaparamita.

In Gassho,

Bob
    edited February 2010
    Dear Bob

I am no longer so interested in academic affairs but might be happy to do so if I was inclined at the moment, or had the time.

I apologise I am not interested in this at the moment. But allow me to offer one quote:
    "Knowing is the normality of mind that's empty, bright, pure, that has stopped fabricating, stopped searching, stopped all mental motions — having nothing, not attached to anything at all."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/dune/giftsheleft.html

Your practice and sharings are respected.

With best wishes,

Abu
  • edited February 2010
    Yes! And I imagine this state as the 'Fruit' aspect of training, best expressed in Noble Silence. That's not what I imagine is happening here. 'Cuz were involved in the 'Path' aspect of training in this forum.

edited February 2010
    Path and fruit are not that different at the end of the day :)

Best wishes, and thanks for the graciousness.

Abu
  • edited February 2010
    Correct! when one reaches the top of the mountain. Before that????

A few years ago, while engaged in some formal study with an elder, I was continually admonished about speaking in 'Fruit' terms when our topics were 'Path' subjects.

That's where I got this idea.

It took me some time to 'get it'.

In Gassho
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Path and fruit are not that different at the end of the day :)

Best wishes, and thanks for the graciousness.

Abu

Not just simply and literally nonsense, but the kind of knee jerk nonsense and received uncritical opinion that is repeated ad infinitum on Buddhist websites, and is never heard in the throws and struggles of actual real Sangha conducted by those whose knowledge is not just confined to soundbites.
    edited February 2010
    That felt good ! Thanks for the conditioned response, Citta :D
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    So this fruit and path being the same schtik , you KNOW this Mr/Mrs/Ms Abu ?
    Or is it some thing you have heard from those who have heard it from those who have heard it? Have you actually realised it personally ? Have you actualised it yourself ? Or is it a view that you have encountered and that appeals to you ?
    edited February 2010
    When the path is actualised, the fruit is also the realm of the path.

It is a realm of endless blessings.

Gassho,

Abu
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    When the path is actualised, the fruit is also the realm of the path.

It is a realm of endless blessings.

Gassho,

Abu
    This is your own experience ?

Are you by any chance the same Floating Abu that used to post on E Sangha ? The one who just a year or two before that Forum folded wrote saying that they were in despair because they couldnt sit for more than a few minutes ? The same person who was banned for disruption ?
    So do we assume that in the intervening months you have actualised , have realised the path ?
    edited February 2010
    Dear Citta

You are free to assume as you wish. It is after all everyone's prerogative and capacity and whilst all or some of us do this, some of us have a practice which is genuinely transformative in being, and manifest in the heart of goodwill. It is still a possibility for
    everyone, even those amongst us who still harbour ill will and suspicion.

Good journey to you, may you be blessed also.

Best wishes,

Abu
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    I am glad that you have a practice that is genuinely transformative, I dont understand the grammar of your next sentence, or indeed the previous sentence, but I think I can guess its meaning.
    If the Path WERE the fruit we would of couse not need to transform anything..but leaving aside that quibble, lets not run before we can walk, or be too holy before next tuesday kiddo. And lets not assume that the world is hanging on our words of wisdom while we are needy ourselves. And lets not assume that a wake up call equals ill will and suspicion.
    edited February 2010
    Any other lessons you need to impart, dear Citta? :cheer:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Gosh...ay ay ay. What do you usually do with all that anger Floating Abu ?
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited February 2010
    There's no need to transform anything. The path is the fruit.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Citta wrote: »
    Gosh...ay ay ay. What do you usually do with all that anger Floating Abu ?

He observes it.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    and observing it results in little party smilies.....right.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    There's no need to transform anything. The path is the fruit.
    So why the need for a transformative path ?
    At least lets get the story straight.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Citta you seem to be trollin' lol, the heart of the Buddha's teaching is mindfulness come on now. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Stop attachin yoself to da weeeeeeeerds mang.. and Party smilies are freakin' sweet, don't diss the party smilies! har har
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2010
    some of us have seen Floating Abu setting herself up on a number of websites as a teacher over the last two or three years Ravkes. And have also seen the tantrums, the bannings, the tears , the pleadings, the grovelling returns...but I suppose it keeps her from wrecking actual real Sanghas so its probably a small price to pay. F.A is currently waging war on the team that run Zen Forum International or so I am told. I am also told that genkaku has washed his hands. and is making it plain that it is nothing to do with him.