Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

DMT

edited April 2010 in General Banter
I hope this isn't against the rules, since this is an illegal drug in most countries...

What do you think the possible explanations for the effects of DMT, within Buddhist cosmology. For those who don't know, it is a drug that causes people to come in contact with "aliens" or some other "higher" type of knowledge. I've never tried it myself, but it sounds fascinating. Is it possible that it is causing people to observe beings in the other realms of existence, like devas, or something along those lines?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    We all know what psychedelic drugs do. No reason to speculate or imagine that DMT is just shelling out supramundane psychic connectivity.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Tom, it little matters what the effects of the drugs are. According to Buddhist precepts we should refrain from taking them for those very reasons.

This, of course, does not apply to carefully monitored and prescribed drugs, given to those who are suffering from a psychiatric or psychological condition, such as depression, schizophrenia, etc......
  • edited March 2010
    We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE
    Rubee928
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I'm schizophrenic and I can confirm that experiences of DMT (which a schizophrenic brain has too much of) have nothing to do with enlightenment.
  • edited March 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I'm schizophrenic and I can confirm that experiences of DMT (which a schizophrenic brain has too much of) have nothing to do with enlightenment.

Well, I wasn't saying it does. There's a really big difference in seeing a different realm of existence and becoming enlightened.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    You're not seeing a different realm of existence.

It's an illusion to an extreme, created by a catalyst you have no control over. And as such, because you have no control over a chemical introduced into your body, it's unwise, unskillful and not recommended, to use such a prop or aid.
    It does nothing beneficial to practice, and as such, a person must rely upon their own concentration to bring them the mind-set they seek to achieve.

in other words,Tom: it's a no-no, whichever way you look at it. :)
  • edited March 2010
    If this DMT did lead to 'higher' knowledge and seeing real aliens everyone and his brother would be doing it. There's nothing new under the sun, matey.

Really, if you seek higher knowledge, read a book like everyone else. YOu can't just swallow a pill and gain access to hidden new powers.

Also the brain is really complex, but it's not like a rally car, where you can just pop the hood and tinker inside it... but somehow if you've already entertained the thought of playing Astronaut Jr, then I fear that my message is all for naught.

Ground control to major tom!
  • edited March 2010
    OK, well it looks like some sort of concensus has been reached.

By the way, I wasn't considering doing it myself. I admitted did go through a phase in my life where I was using drugs, but I don't plan to go back there. I was only curious if there could be some "physical" evidence of these other realms of existence. As it stands, I have a somewhat hard time believing in all of the heavens/hells/etc etc. Some devout Buddhists I have known only believe them to be analogies for states of mind. To me, it's clear that the texts are literally talking about other planes of existence. It's just not something I can easily believe, so I was trying to cling to whatever evidence might support that theory.
    edited March 2010
    Well, Tom, consider this:
    no matter what books, authors or authorities seem to expound them as real planes of existence, remember that life is illusory and transitory and that all compounded phenomena are impermanent and fruits of perception.
    So if they're real, they're as 'real' as anything else.
    to drop the veil of illusion - and delusion - about all we perceive is one aim (amongst many) and to end suffering, grasping and attachment is the goal.
    So.... really, let it go.
    It matters little......
    Just like everything else.....

To simplify, ask yourself the question:
    How important is this, and what does it add to my practice?

Skip it.
    Be well, and relax.
    It really isn't all that big a deal.
    Unless you make it a big deal.
    And then.... How big a deal do you need it to be? ;)

:)
  • edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Well, Tom, consider this:
    no matter what books, authors or authorities seem to expound them as real planes of existence, remember that life is illusory and transitory and that all compounded phenomena are impermanent and fruits of perception.
    So if they're real, they're as 'real' as anything else.
    to drop the veil of illusion - and delusion - about all we perceive is one aim (amongst many) and to end suffering, grasping and attachment is the goal.
    So.... really, let it go.
    It matters little......
    Just like everything else.....

To simplify, ask yourself the question:
    How important is this, and what does it add to my practice?

Skip it.
    Be well, and relax.
    It really isn't all that big a deal.
    Unless you make it a big deal.
    And then.... How big a deal do you need it to be? ;)

:)

Well, since I've vowed to liberate all sentient beings before myself, I'd like to know who all these beings are. :lol: If there truly are other planes of existence where beings exist, I'm going to have to put a LOT more effort into my meditation practices to get the the stage where I can communicate with them.
  • edited March 2010
    What does that mean exactly, liberate all sentient beings before liberating yourself? Achieving full enlightenment doesn't somehow make it more difficult to help others do the same; indeed it should help.
  • edited March 2010
    if dmt does anything, it may shake off a little dust. that's it.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    armando wrote: »
    if dmt does anything, it may shake off a little dust. that's it.
    I couldn't disagree more. If DMT is also a naturally occurring chemical found on higher quantities in the brains of people who suffer from a mental illness like schizophrenia, I highly doubt taking it might result only in 'shaking off a little dust'.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Well, since I've vowed to liberate all sentient beings before myself, I'd like to know who all these beings are. :lol: If there truly are other planes of existence where beings exist, I'm going to have to put a LOT more effort into my meditation practices to get the the stage where I can communicate with them.

I think you've got it a little backwards. Indeed I wonder how you figure to liberate others if your are not liberated yourself.
  • edited March 2010
    hi brigid, with all due respect, concrete thinking isn't always the best way to approach things.

<H3><H2>Foreword

</H3></H2>by Stephen Batchelor
    It is undeniable that a significant proportion of those drawn to Buddhism and other Eastern traditions in the 1960s (including the present writer) were influenced in their choice of religious orientation by experiences induced by psychoactive substances such as marijuana and LSD. Despite the fact that experimentation with such drugs was illegal, potentially dangerous and unmonitored, the startling shift in consciousness it occasionally provoked was considered to be worth the risks involved. Now, thirty years later, many of these Buddhists are priests, meditation teachers, therapists, college professors, and writers: respected members of the very society against which they rebelled in their youth. Yet although they often eschew the use of psychedelics themselves and warn others of the dangers of abuse, few would deny the role of these substances in opening their eyes to a life of spiritual and religious meaning.
    The connection between drug use and spirituality is not, however, limited to the experience of a few aging hippies. The ritualized use of drugs is still practiced among sadhus and shamans of traditional cultures from India to Peru. The current use of drugs such as Ecstasy--originally popular at clubs and raves, but now in numerous shared settings--is likewise associated with heightened states of individual consciousness as well as the forging of a deep ecstatic bond between participants. Language and symbols borrowed from Asian and indigenous American sacred traditions permeate the literature, lyrics, and imagery of underground dance culture, as much as--or even more than--they did in the festivals and happenings of the 1960s.
    It is all too easy either to dismiss claims of spiritual significance for drugs as thinly veiled justifications for hedonistic indulgence, or to invoke the tragic consequences of heedless excess as grounds for denying the validity of any drug-induced experience at all. In so doing, one fails to recognize the spiritual aspirations of people who are seeking expression and fulfillment in this way. One likewise ignores the harsh fact that Western societies have lost the ability to address the religious feelings of a considerable segment of their youth.
    In swinging between liberal tolerance one moment and outraged repression the next, modern societies seem chronically incapable of reaching consistent attitudes about drugs. Consider, for example, the double standard applied to the achievement of physical, as opposed to cultural, excellence. While a sportsman will have his Olympic medals revoked for using drugs that enhance his performance, a musician would not be stripped of her Grammy awards if it turned out that her songs were composed and played under the influence of an illegal substance. Why are regulations imposed on the behavior of one but not the other? Why should the athlete be punished, but the artist not?
    When the broad culture sends out such contradictory messages about drugs, to whom can people turn for informed and sympathetic guidance? If drug use can be linked to spiritual issues, then surely such guidance would be forthcoming from religious leaders. Yet the spokesmen and women of the mainstream denominations seem to have little to say on the subject beyond pious encouragement to abstinence. Traditional schools of Buddhism are no exception. The five lay precepts, which are considered the foundation of ethical behavior--elements of the teachings given by the Buddha in his first sermon after enlightenment--list the taking of intoxicating drugs along with killing, sexual misconduct, theft, and lying as something every good Buddhist is expected to relinquish. Although certain ecstatic Zen masters and Tantric yogins may be deemed sufficiently awakened to be exempt from strict adherence to this precept, there is no discussion about the role that drug use might play in propelling someone onto the path in the first place.
    As Buddhism comes of age in the West, it needs both to honor its traditions and respond to the actual conditions of the world in which people live today. Simply reiterating answers to moral issues that have worked well in the past may serve only to alienate those who otherwise would find great value in the Dharma. Before Buddhists can even begin to have a serious discussion about the use and abuse of drugs in contemporary society, there needs to be an acceptance of at least the possibility that certain currently illegal drugs can produce life- and performance-enhancing effects. Such a shift in attitude may require considerably greater openness, understanding, and tolerance from those in the Buddhist community entrusted with offering moral and spiritual guidance.
    Although we live in a world in which the widespread consumption of legal, illegal, and prescribed drugs keeps growing, we seem incapable of conducting an intelligent and compassionate debate around their use and abuse. We might be reaching a point where the contradiction between what society doesn't permit and what people actually do in terms of ingesting psychoactive substances becomes intolerable. This contradiction undermines the credibility of those in positions of political and religious authority and fractures the moral consensus needed to hold together an increasingly pluralistic society. Unless the hysteria and repressive blindness around drug use begin to diminish, a sane and constructive response to an issue that threatens to spiral dangerously out of control will elude us.
    It is in this context that the voices collected in Zig Zag Zen may offer a much needed wake-up call. The contributors to this volume find themselves in the privileged role of being intermediaries between one culture and another. Because of their position at this moral and spiritual crossroads, they are free to offer a perspective that need not be tied to the dogmatic certainties of either Buddhist or Western traditions. I very much hope that their collective wisdom will not only illuminate the relation between the use of psychedelics and the Buddhist path but, more importantly, help our society as a whole see its way more clearly through the deep confusion that surrounds its attitude to drugs.
    Stephen Batchelor
    Aquitaine, December 2000

everything isn't simply black and white.
    very best wishes,
    armando
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Yes, armando, I'm well aware that not every issue is black or white.

I'm so tired of the whole 'take a drug to have a spiritual experience' garbage.
    It's so tedious.

Buddhism is not about having an experience and it's certainly not about ingesting drugs that affect the mind in order to have some kind of experience. We have enough trouble controlling our brains and their natural chemical/electrical systems as it is.

There is no shortcut.

If you want to sit down with Stephen Batchelor and others to discuss the use of drugs and spirituality go right ahead. But in my humble opinion it's b.s. and a colossal waste of precious time.
  • edited March 2010
    crikey! did i say concrete? sorry, i should have said syncretic thinking. no one's talking about shortcuts. no need to get so uptight.
  • edited March 2010
    When you're talking about performance enhancement you have to bear in mind that performance itself hinges upon effort. What are you actually enhancing if there's nothing there to start with? I know loads of people that take performance enhancing substances, but they do it because they think it will make their life easier. They want results without hard work. If it's easy it must be good, right? Well maybe it's a quick fix, like a band aid, but in the long run there's no fruit.

That said I really don't understand the point of that wall of text. Is it so that people will be less confused? So that people will no longer be persecuted, or is it just so we can all start getting unlimited access to more dope? Honestly, it pretty vain to hope that your opinion is going to have the power of influence. By telling whoever cares to read, your opinions will suddenly transform. AS though it's the most important thing we really need to sort out right now.

Haha look at me, writing to no-one in particular. Disagreeing with someone in the vain hope that minds will change. Waste of time... anyway, now it is written ... submitting
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Here we have some sort of organized religion of people that drink ayahuasca tea and go nuts thinking they are meeting with spiritual guides and whatnot. Just the other day one of them went crazy and started killing people saying he was jesus christ. :P
    Is it possible that it is causing people to observe beings in the other realms of existence, like devas, or something along those lines?

The people that do this kind of thing are just ordinary junkies with ordinary sense of entitlement and ordinary attitude of being too lazy to think for themselves, so they need a guide to tell them either the obvious or what they want to hear.
  • edited March 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    Yes, armando, I'm well aware that not every issue is black or white.

I'm so tired of the whole 'take a drug to have a spiritual experience' garbage.
    It's so tedious.

Buddhism is not about having an experience and it's certainly not about ingesting drugs that affect the mind in order to have some kind of experience. We have enough trouble controlling our brains and their natural chemical/electrical systems as it is.

There is no shortcut.

If you want to sit down with Stephen Batchelor and others to discuss the use of drugs and spirituality go right ahead. But in my humble opinion it's b.s. and a colossal waste of precious time.

Agreed. Buddhism is definitely not about having an experience. That must be one of the most common misconceptions, even by practitioners.
  • edited March 2010
    what's it about, tom?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Buddhism is about having the courage to face how you feel. And not have a 'babysitter' such as a drug to take you away from it and dull out how you feel.

Edit: well I take medications and clearly there is room for substances. Sometimes to escape negative things! I was thinking more along the lines of the habitual samsara, than existing drug therapy. I mean we can use all sorts of things to escape uncertainty and thats not the same thing as taking drugs because you are depressed, in pain, high blood pressure, diabetic, or whatever... I am just cautioning against using drugs to reinforce the tendancy of samsara to dull out.
  • edited March 2010
    With respect to my fellow Buddhists, I am going to be the lone voice of dissension here. I find Tom's premise quite interesting, and I think it deserves an open-minded hearing.

Sadly, the excessive abuse of mind-altering substances has led to a wholesale backlash against them, and Western culture has thrown out the baby with the bathwater by labeling all drugs as "bad." Mass hysteria and blanket catch-phrases like "just say no" have so permeated the collective consciousness that this whole frontier of human experience has been driven underground.

But I don't believe drugs are "bad" in themselves: they're no less "bad" than anything else. It's the abuse of them, the excessive and irresponsible use of them, that leads to problems. Many mind-expanding substances actually have very useful and beneficial qualities, which could conceivably benefit humanity. If we throw them all out the window in some anti-drug hysteria, we're really just closing our minds; and when has closing minds ever done humanity any good?

If these plants and other substances have certain powers, maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe they exist for a purpose. Drugs figure into the spiritual dimensions of many cultures. Who are we to say the experiences those people are having aren't real? Who are we to say other dimensions aren't somehow being touched? There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy.

No one here (presumably) has ever tried DMT, yet it seems almost everyone is squarely against it. What thought process do you follow to do that? Do you "loan out" your mind to the popular media, or to someone else's opinion, effectively basing your decisions on hearsay? How do you invalidate something with no personal experience of it one way or the other? What's your criterion for determining the validity of an experience? Is it whatever someone else tells you is true? That's not how the Buddha did it: he examined everything for himself.

My brother has taken DMT, and he said it was an amazing experience. I haven't tried it myself, but I would be willing to. I don't fear that experience. Nor do I fear the disapproval of people who haven't experienced it themselves, because while they may mean well, they're really just speaking from ignorance. For my part, I don't feel qualified to condemn something I haven't personally experienced, for that strikes me as lacking in intellectual integrity.

I hope my words don't offend or upset anyone here; I respect you all as brothers and sisters in Buddhism; but I felt someone should present another view on the subject. Thanks for listening!
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited March 2010
    zendo wrote: »
    My brother has taken DMT, and he said it was an amazing experience. I haven't tried it myself, but I would be willing to. I don't fear that experience.

just check whether it is a need or want

if it is a need go for it
    it it is just a want forget it
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    With respect to my fellow Buddhists, I am going to be the lone voice of dissension here. I find Tom's premise quite interesting, and I think it deserves an open-minded hearing. Sadly, the excessive abuse of mind-altering substances has led to a wholesale backlash against them, and Western culture has thrown out the baby with the bathwater by labeling all drugs as "bad." Mass hysteria and blanket catch-phrases like "just say no" have so permeated the collective consciousness that this whole frontier of human experience has been driven underground.

But I don't believe drugs are "bad" in themselves: they're no less "bad" than anything else. It's the abuse of them, the excessive and irresponsible use of them, that leads to problems. Many mind-expanding substances actually have very useful and beneficial qualities, which could conceivably benefit humanity. If we throw them all out the window in some anti-drug hysteria, we're really just closing our minds; and when has closing minds ever done humanity any good?
    Hi Zendo,

I respect your effort to present a balance to our discussion so let me expand on my earlier post.
    If these plants and other substances have certain powers, maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe they exist for a purpose. Drugs figure into the spiritual dimensions of many cultures. Who are we to say the experiences those people are having aren't real? Who are we to say other dimensions aren't somehow being touched? There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy.

No one here (presumably) has ever tried DMT, yet it seems almost everyone is squarely against it. What thought process do you follow to do that? Do you "loan out" your mind to the popular media, or to someone else's opinion, effectively basing your decisions on hearsay? How do you invalidate something with no personal experience of it one way or the other? What's your criterion for determining the validity of an experience? Is it whatever someone else tells you is true? That's not how the Buddha did it: he examined everything for himself.
    I don't base my opinions on hearsay or the popular media but I do base some of my easier decisions on the advice the Buddha gave regarding such things as intoxicating substances. I also have confidence in the many wise people that have come after him who have continued to follow the fifth precept.

I should also tell you that my (physical) functional ability is quite dependent upon drugs as I'm disabled due to a permanent back injury. I'm no stranger to them and I'm no longer ignorant about the benefits and drawbacks of their use. I take a variety of drugs including a psychotropic drug and have used marijuana in the past to treat debilitating and demoralizing neuropathic pain. I also did my share of fooling around with recreational drugs in my youth and have never been accused of being a puritan in this regard.

Although I strongly support its legalization, I no longer use marijuana because I can't handle the side effect of being high everyday. The right pharmaceutical drug combination including a low dose narcotic has no such side effect for me. The pain is managed and I'm able to meditate which was something that was impossible to do when I was using marijuana. The drugs I take are legally prescribed, very closely monitored by doctors, and painstakingly and continually researched.

I'm telling you all this in order to establish my drug cred. :D

No, but seriously, you won't find a lot of hysterical, anti-drug thinking on my part. I've had to come a long way since my 'no evil pharmaceutical drugs of any kind...ever....' hippie days. That was when I was pretty ignorant and close minded. It took a state of near hell to trump my stubbornness so you really can believe me when I say my open mind regarding this issue was hard won.
    My brother has taken DMT, and he said it was an amazing experience. I haven't tried it myself, but I would be willing to. I don't fear that experience. Nor do I fear the disapproval of people who haven't experienced it themselves, because while they may mean well, they're really just speaking from ignorance. For my part, I don't feel qualified to condemn something I haven't personally experienced, for that strikes me as lacking in intellectual integrity.

I hope my words don't offend or upset anyone here; I respect you all as brothers and sisters in Buddhism; but I felt someone should present another view on the subject. Thanks for listening!
    I hear what you're saying. I really do. It's just that you mention this drug 'experience' over and over and the importance of it is where we disagree:
    "....this whole frontier of human experience has been driven underground."

"Who are we to say the experiences those people are having aren't real? Who are we to say other dimensions aren't somehow being touched?"

"My brother has taken DMT, and he said it was an amazing experience. I haven't tried it myself, but I would be willing to. I don't fear that experience. Nor do I fear the disapproval of people who haven't experienced it themselves, because while they may mean well, they're really just speaking from ignorance."

If Buddhism was a religion concerned mostly with supernatural/mystical experiences and its founder and millions of followers throughout history advocated the use of certain drugs as spiritual aids my answer to the OP would have been different. But he asked:
    What do you think the possible explanations for the effects of DMT, within Buddhist cosmology.
    Although I'm sure many Buddhists over the years have had wondrous experiences, we're told by teacher after teacher that these are merely byproducts of practice, not its goal, and we're advised not to become distracted or attached to these amazing experiences because they can so easily become a hindrance to our spiritual growth and understanding.

So at best, to deliberately ingest something like a psychotropic drug in order to induce what may or may not be a spiritual experience is a red herring when it comes to Buddhist practice and understanding in my opinion.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Sadly, the excessive abuse of mind-altering substances has led to a wholesale backlash against them, and Western culture has thrown out the baby with the bathwater by labeling all drugs as "bad."

Yeah honey, when they are prescribed by a doctor and they actually have a point.
    But I don't believe drugs are "bad" in themselves

Drugs don't grow in the middle of the forest and get picked by working men. There is a lot of people dying because of drugs and they are not even users.
    If these plants and other substances have certain powers

They don't.
    Drugs figure into the spiritual dimensions of many cultures.

Including mine. The people doing it these days are screwed up.
  • edited March 2010
    nameless, i can see that through your practice you've achieved a highly developed degee of equanimity. very impressive.
  • edited March 2010
    what's it about, tom?
    Hello my friend, _||_

Buddhism is about taming the mind.
  • edited March 2010
    hi tom, i was thinking cessation of suffering but that goes hand and hand with the taming of the mind. thanks.
    very best wishes,
    armando
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited March 2010
    Hello my friend, _||_

Buddhism is about taming the mind.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.attackable {mso-style-name:attackable;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Taming the mind is a step towards the goal but, not the goal itself. To discover the truth of suffering and bring about its end within our own minds is the Buddhist path. Taming the mind involves listening to wisdom over desire, showing restraint, sati, and etc. It is basically the Noble Eight Fold Path (simplified as Morality, Wisdom, and Concentration) is the guide to taming the heart. With this tamed heart we can begin to see the truth of everything and reach our final goal.<o></o>
  • edited March 2010
    agreed. for me, the the four noble truths and the eight fold path are the heart of the dharma. right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration are so consuming and essential to staying awake that speculative ideas such as rebirth, gods and demons, lines of transmissision, guru worship, polemics over sutras etc. sometimes seem superfulous. for example, i'm currently reading buddhadasa bhikkuhu on attachment ("attach yourself to absolutely nothing"). i am swimming in such a sea of attachments (ideas, beliefs, physical attachments and most importantly, self) that i find it stunning. every time a negative idea or emotion pops up in my little brain and i have the presence of mind to take a look, i find a long chain of attachments. i rarely can can muster enough can muster effort, mindfulness and concentration to look deeply. and that's just the idea of attachment. the eightfold path should be enough to fill anyone's plate but maybe i just can't chew gum and walk at the same time. i'd go on but the two hits of dmt i took earlier are starting to make me a little spacey.
    very best wishes,
    armando
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    agreed. for me, the the four noble truths and the eight fold path are the heart of the dharma. right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration are so consuming and essential to staying awake that speculative ideas such as rebirth, gods and demons, lines of transmissision, guru worship, polemics over sutras etc. sometimes seem superfulous. for example, i'm currently reading buddhadasa bhikkuhu on attachment ("attach yourself to absolutely nothing"). i am swimming in such a sea of attachments (ideas, beliefs, physical attachments and most importantly, self) that i find it stunning. every time a negative idea or emotion pops up in my little brain and i have the presence of mind to take a look, i find a long chain of attachments. i rarely can can muster enough can muster effort, mindfulness and concentration to look deeply. and that's just the idea of attachment. the eightfold path should be enough to fill anyone's plate but maybe i just can't chew gum and walk at the same time. i'd go on but the two hits of dmt i took earlier are starting to make me a little spacey.
    very best wishes,
    armando
    I'm taking it upon myself to award this the "Best Post of The Week". And not just because of its hilarious finale. Just because to me it's simply a great post.

Thanks, armando. Something important happens in my mind whenever someone describes well the shedding of everything but the core essence. It renews me in a profound way. I appreciate it.

and.....you stayed on topic....just barely....:D
  • edited March 2010
    brigid, thanks for the kind words.
    very best wishes,
    armando
  • edited April 2010
    Hi,

I tried DMT a few months ago and had the most significant experience of my life. I experienced complete oneness with the universe, it was beyond words. I also felt the cyclical nature of the universe, and the eternal cycles of death and rebirth. I started looking into Buddhism and found it consistent with my experience. I was sympathetic to Buddhism before and basically believed in reincarnation, but I didn't have the experiential 'confirmation'. I was reading online and came across this website and thread. I noticed everybody here condemning DMT and being really judgemental. I know my experience was valuable, and has brought me to Buddhism and made me less judgemental and more compassionate about others (since I know we are all one, so treating others well is the same treating oneself well). I just want to pursue higher awareness now. I hope people on this site won't judge my use of DMT badly, I don't see it as an intoxicant like alcohol, marijuana, etc. I would like to find a supportive community which is open to exploring truth using all available paths and tools, as long as based on compassion and mindfulness.
  • edited April 2010
    Welcome to the forum Riki! One crucial part of Buddhism is to simply acknowledge what is. Many people may feel contrary to the substance as it is mind-altering drug that can alter your perception. This forum is to openly discuss Buddhist-related (or general chit chat!) subjects and to treat each other with respect, yet still demonstrate our feelings.

My feeling on this subject is that Federica made a great point about psychoactives causing an uber illusion to the brain that strays away from a pure sense of being. Sure you may have had an experience that felt particularly enlightening, but take note that the feeling was impermanent. My doctor prescribed me a type of serotonin inhibitor once, and sure it felt great, but instead of curing the anxiety, it blanketed it with an illusion of being happy. Buddhism can help guide you to authentic happiness, so acknowledge that DMT helped you find Buddhism, be grateful for that, leave it aside and continue in the present moment :D. Just don't let a drug become another attachment for you that may cause you suffering.
    Rubee928
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    riki sorry for being judgemental. I am a schizophrenic and I had beautiful experience that help light the way. I am glad that DMT has also become part of your path.

But I will mention that vision fails sometimes and you are all alone in darkness. The only friend you have then is your own kindness and inquisitiveness. Its basicly galadriels lamp if you have seen lord of the rings. Or good just be a lava lamp. But it is real and it is a light and that which is not a light is false and unreal. One component that rescued myself from the seas of patterns were the wish to be together with loved ones. because that is so meaningful which we know from our mums and dads and girls we favor and so forth. We already have good chemicals all we need to be compassionate and wise.....

But you can also have some amazing experiences. I hope they are a goad to you to find something true and moving.. But that you can share with other people.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Can you hear the love juice in this song? Just testing DMT understanding if it is grounded... (ie can you accept the presense of whole ly ordinary confusion and misery? Or need a drug to connect the dots and get the fix? (its not a test of how good you are its just a test of how you can negotiate between nirvana and samsara.... Always bet on nirvana I guess even if everything you touch turns to shit)

Last night, she said:
    "Oh, baby, I feel so down.
    Oh it turns me off,
    When I feel left out"

So I walked out:
    "Oh, baby, don't care no more
    I know this for sure,
    I'm walkin' out that door"

Well, I've been in town for just about fifteen minutes now
    And Baby, I feel so down
    And I don't know why
    I keep walkin' for miles

See, people they don't understand
    No, girlfriends, they can't understand
    Your Grandsons, they won't understand
    On top of this, I ain't ever gonna understand...

Last night, she said:
    "Oh, baby, don't feel so down.
    Oh, it turns me off,
    When I feel left out"

So I, I turn 'round:
    "Oh, baby, gonna be alright"
    It was a great big lie
    'Cause I left that night, yeah

Oh, people they don't understand
    No, girlfriends, they won't understand
    Your grandsons, they won't understand
    And me, I ain't ever gonna understand...

Last night, she said:
    "Oh, baby, I feel so down.
    See, it turns me off,
    When I feel left out"

So I, I turn 'round:
    "Oh, little girl, I don't care no more.
    I know this for sure,
    I'm walking out that door," yeah
  • edited April 2010
    "be a light unto yourself."
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2010
    riki wrote: »
    Hi,

I tried DMT a few months ago and had the most significant experience of my life. I experienced complete oneness with the universe, it was beyond words. I also felt the cyclical nature of the universe, and the eternal cycles of death and rebirth. I started looking into Buddhism and found it consistent with my experience. I was sympathetic to Buddhism before and basically believed in reincarnation, but I didn't have the experiential 'confirmation'. I was reading online and came across this website and thread. I noticed everybody here condemning DMT and being really judgemental. I know my experience was valuable, and has brought me to Buddhism and made me less judgemental and more compassionate about others (since I know we are all one, so treating others well is the same treating oneself well). I just want to pursue higher awareness now. I hope people on this site won't judge my use of DMT badly, I don't see it as an intoxicant like alcohol, marijuana, etc. I would like to find a supportive community which is open to exploring truth using all available paths and tools, as long as based on compassion and mindfulness.
    Hi riki,

Welcome to the site.

I would suggest talking to a qualified Buddhist teacher to see what she/he has to say on the subject.
  • edited April 2010
    why the devil do people see aliens on DMT
  • edited April 2010
    You see all sorts of things on hallucinogens. I've never used DMT myself, but I have used a couple of other drugs of this type in the past, including LSD. The thing with hallucinogens is that they cross your wires; your mind connects the wrong dots, and links multiple pathways together that used to be separate (and for good reason). That's why you might associate a color with a certain taste, for instance.

The best they can do is provide an experience that increases open-mindedness, love of life, compassion and so on. You certainly won't reach any state of enlightenment by this method, though for some it might get them moving in the right direction.

Ultimately drugs are unreliable and risky. They could just as easily cause brain damage or a "bad trip", or even lead to bodily harm of ourselves or others. There's nothing at all scientific about trying to find the truth by using hallucinogens, as they do not provide the same results each time.

If you do them, that's okay. No one is judging, because we're all just trying to find reality here. Just know that using them does not take away the necessity for following the path rightly, applying effort toward the eradication of the defilements and gaining personal insight/experience of the truth. If you think taking hallucinogens is a short-cut to awakening, you're just that much farther from your goal.

And above all, whatever you choose, know that the use of hallucinogens is not a part of Buddhism. Try not to make us all look like hippies, we're misunderstood enough as it is. ;)
  • edited April 2010

Why the devil do people join up to a Buddhist website to discuss DMT, make only a handful of posts on the subject of DMT, and never engage on anything Buddhist related????????

This is rather like joining up to a knitting site and making six posts about grenades.

It seems no buddhist forum is complete without an obligatory DMT thread.

One last thing- yes I am being judgemental. I've seen enough of drug taking to make a judgement. You are free, of course, to make your own mind on the matter, as though this post really speaks to anyone or anything in particular.

BYEEE
    Rubee928
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited April 2010

From what I heard it has to do with broadening your natural telepathy powers enough so to communicate with aliens that mostly do so by telepathy and then sometimes they come. DMT can also be found in natural mushrooms found in rural wilderness areas of Mexico. I was told about them before they're known as "skin of the gods" from what I remember the translation as. Natives would use them to "communicate" with their deities which in theory could actually be aliens ;).
  • edited April 2010
    everything pertains to dharma. do you think we need a gatekeeper, mr. socks?
  • edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    . If you think taking hallucinogens is a short-cut to awakening, you're just that much farther from your goal.

And above all, whatever you choose, know that the use of hallucinogens is not a part of Buddhism. Try not to make us all look like hippies, we're misunderstood enough as it is. ;)
    i mostly agree with you, but in my experience hallucinogens can be like spiritual medicine, i have had some pretty beatifying and revealing experiences with them, and have felt very close to the dharma. however, promoting drugs is probably not a good idea, and the use of hallucinogens or any drug needs to be undertaken by a stable, mindful and aware person if it's going to be done.
    to be honest, in my opinion, though this might be viewed as somewhat radical or inappropriate by some, drug use can be a beneficial compliment to buddhist practice, taken considerately and mindfully. but society and drugs has and have had a very unstable relationship... so it might be best that little is said.
    HA ha!!!! & i think buddhists already are sort of hippies. hippies can be freaks, but in general, people who are the antithesis of a hippie is more of a freak in terms of human nature. conformist, anal, indifferent, television addicted.... etc, are common attributes in the general society. ha hahahahaha... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    what I MEAN IS, I WOULD LIKE THE HIPPOIE INDENTITY TO DISSOLVE, that is THROUGH THE VERY PROCESS OF PEOPLE BECOMING MORE LIKE "HIPPIES"
    From what I heard it has to do with broadening your natural telepathy powers enough so to communicate with aliens that mostly do so by telepathy and then sometimes they come. DMT can also be found in natural mushrooms found in rural wilderness areas of Mexico. I was told about them before they're known as "skin of the gods" from what I remember the translation as. Natives would use them to "communicate" with their deities which in theory could actually be aliens ;).
    woooosh
    man
    that's crazy
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited April 2010
    Irrelevant but, intriguing . . .
    <o></o>
    Dimethyltryptamine or N,N-Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) is a naturally-occurring tryptamine and psychedelic drug, found not only in many plants, but also in trace amounts in the human body where its natural function is undetermined.
    <o>
    </o>Curious why the human body would have need of a hallucinogen, there seems to be a lot of speculation on the matter.
  • edited April 2010
    I have heard it said that there is a drug, perhaps it is this DMT, that is released within the brain at the moment of body-death; perhaps as a way to ease the suffering of death.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks to many of you for the supportive and useful suggestions. I will indeed look for a teacher, and also appreciate the ephemeral nature of the experience and ultimate pointlessness of it if I don't make some positive changes in my life/consciousness. The reason I tried it was because I had tried LSD a few times many years before, and had a very positive, mind-opening experience (despite some bad trips..in fact bad trips were just as eye-opening). The DMT trip only lasted a few minutes, but gave me incredible insight into the universe, I experienced the cycles of rebirth and discovered the oneness of the universe. Actually, it terrified me because I didn't realize how much I have invested into my ego-based existence and all its benefits. Even until now, I'm not sure I could ever do DMT again. I had interest in Buddhism before, but could never accept (or maybe misunderstood) its basic premises, but within hours of reflection after the trip I declared myself a Buddhist. Since then, I've been reading a lot, and intend to explore a lot further, both experientially and academically. I also heard that a drug called soma was prevalent in ancient India, and may have influenced the development of Hinduism, and thus Buddhism. I know if I had this DMT-type of experience a few thousand years ago, I would also be shouting from the rooftops about samsara and the oneness of everything. I haven't thought of DMT as an intoxicant, but if it is, it's definitely in favor of or in alignment with Buddhism, it seems to me that those who would attack it would also be attacking Buddhism, or else perhaps fear attacks on Buddhism because of association with DMT. From the comments on this thread, the judgemental comments seem much less in tune with Buddhist thought and more about people's own bad experiences with drugs (whether themselves or in others). I can't imagine anybody using DMT as a recreational 'intoxicant', even a single trip is a really huge undertaking, when the Buddha talks about intoxicants isn't he talking about substances which create illusions and dull the mind. The trip was the most significant experience I've ever had, and I may never do it again, at least I feel I would need 5-10 years of spiritual and intellectual progress before I would even think about doing it. About bad trips, I would even say my DMT trip was 'bad' in that I was fearful and felt overpowered by the expansion and dissolution of my ego, there was nothing pleasurable about it, except that I saw fundamental universal truths opened up to me. I didn't see 'beings' of any kind, but I read in Buddhism about higher demi-gods, I wonder if these beings aren't merely higher beings that are still trapped in samsara. I'm not gonna say the trip was the same as enlightenment, I kinda think of DMT as the ultimate 'mirror of the self', I'm a pretty adventurous person, and DMT has been the only thing that has 'conquered' me, going way beyond my expectations, I couldn't imagine a more powerful experience except for death. I think the DMT experience is different from enlightenment, but also somehow related. It's more like a flash of ultimate reality that might occur to everyone when they transition from one life to the next, before they go through the stage of forgetting/rebirth.

Again, I haven't studied Buddhism much in depth, and am sure I've misunderstood a lot of it, but I intend to study much further now. I'm afraid to tell others that first LSD and then later DMT catalyzed me onto this road (I know it sounds stereotypical too, but so what maybe there really is a connection), if such drugs are so scorned even on forums like this, I can imagine the criticism I would receive out there in the wider world. Come to think of it, if I participate further in this forum, I'll probably have to change my username...
  • edited April 2010
    I would like to add a note (perhaps a white flag?) to those who have negative feeling towards DMT. I suspect perhaps that DMT to some extent, and LSD to an even greater extent, maybe be mirrors to the truth, but that the mirror is somehow exaggerated like in a funhouse. Or like looking through a telescope/microscope, where somehow the lens is slightly distorted, but still magnified many times. They can be useful but imperfect tools, and in some cases may distort some people's sense of reality too far if that's how they're pre-disposed (of course many would say that Buddhism is a distorted view of reality also). I guess in Buddhist practice the emphasis is on solving the riddle/problem of existence with a clear mind, this is the ultimate goal and drugs shouldn't become a distraction but at most sometimes a necessary evil, in this quest. I know if I did the DMT and did nothing to change my life now, the experience would have been mind-blowing but ultimately useless. Or worse than useless, since I would suspect bad consequences of not doing anything.