Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What does your avatar symbolise?

I change mine around a bit, but currently its kanji for "death". A bit of bushido philosophy...the Buddha gave meditations on death...life is short...all things are subject to decay... death should not be feared...cut down "self" "kill" the buddha..etc

Jeffreynenkohai

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    This is mine.
    Kinda in the same vein....
    kashikarmabluesJeffreynenkohai
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Here's a larger (click-able) version:
    kashinenkohaiKundo
  • @BonsaiDoug nice job.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I find inspiration in Hinduism as well as Buddhism and Ganesha is one of my favorite deities. Also I love the color blue. :D
    Jeffreynenkohai
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Mine is because I love Chickens, and I like this particular unusual looking breed a "Silkie" even though I don't own any of this breed.
    JeffreyLucy_Begood
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Mine is just a picture of a young great gray owl that my husband took a few weeks ago.
    SillyPuttyInvincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • karasti said:

Mine is just a picture of a young great gray owl that my husband took a few weeks ago.

Wow he took that? Incredible.

nenkohai
  • water listening is def one of my favorite things to do. @Jimyo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Jimyo said:

Mine is a photograph I took of a waterfall near my home and symbolises the tranquility and clarity Buddhism brings me. I'm lucky enough to be able to hear the stream outside most mornings so water meditation forms the basis for my start to almost every day.

Where IS that, @jimyo....?
    I've looked everywhere and I can't find it....
    A friend of mine lives near Manchester, and I'd love to go there to see it....

It looks man-made, with a monument in the middle.....

• JimyoJimyo Explorer
    edited May 2013
    @federica Well, I'm not actually IN Manchester, I just put that because it's the nearest city that people from other countries have usually heard of. I live in a little village just outside Macclesfield. There's lots of nice places like that around here although they're fairly well hidden.
    federica
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Mine is a blue Heron I think. There are Herons we have seen canoeing around near Lake Michigan. It is also meaningful in Indian lore I guess but I don't know much about that.
    kashikarmabluesInvincible_summerMorningView
    edited May 2013
    Jason said:

I am the God Emperor.

..And 500 trillion screaming fanatics can't be wrong...... :D
    kashiSillyPuttyJasonperson
    @Jimyo...
    Found it.... ;)

What's the monument in it's centre, just before the drop?
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    federica said:

@Jimyo...
    Found it.... ;)

What's the monument in it's centre, just before the drop?

I'm not sure actually. I think it's just a rock that pokes it's head out of the water. I imagine it's man-made as there used to be a lot of mills in the area.
  • @Lee82 nothing wrong with that! at least your comfortable enogh to show your face
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I just found the picture on the internet somewhere. It's an origami crane, but much more elaborate than the typical ones one usually thinks of.

It's just a picture that, to me, exudes peace and tranquility.
    karmablueskashinenkohai
  • I've always found this shade of blue to be relaxing and 'airy' so I chose mine when I was looking on the internet for a picture of meditation.
    kashiMorningView
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

Je Tsongkhapa, The emanation of the Wisdom Buddha Manjushri who demonstrated how to practice the Union of Sutra and Tantra purely.
    kashiInvincible_summerTheEccentric
  • nenkohainenkohai Veteran
    Mine... is a painting I did a number of years back. Lot of influences embedded in that - the primary one is homage to the Australian Aboriginal people. I did this many years before my serious interest in Buddhism. Its similarity to the Dhama-wheel is fascinating. Perhaps pre-cognizant...? :) Its one of a series of paintings I did that explored the idea of "Core," all of which had spiritual overtones.
    kashikarmablues
  • Nevermind said:

Mine is a crooked power outlet. It symbolizes the twisted source of power that I am.

I am a happy power outlet. I am Batman to @Nevermind's Joker.

kashinenkohaiInvincible_summerkarmablues
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

Nevermind said:

Mine is a crooked power outlet. It symbolizes the twisted source of power that I am.

Uhh, you... You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness...and I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
    kashiInvincible_summerperson
  • @nevermind
    I feel like I just did 200 crunches my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.
    riverflow
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Nevermind said:

Nevermind said:

Uhh, you... You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness...and I won't kill you because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
    That's what Darth Vader thought.

But I guess you will just come back as Dart Maul and we will be at it again...

riverflow
  • I am the observer...
  • Jeffrey said:

Mine is a blue Heron I think. There are Herons we have seen canoeing around near Lake Michigan. It is also meaningful in Indian lore I guess but I don't know much about that.

I live near Lake Michigan too and enjoy seeing these often!

Jeffrey
  • edited May 2013
    My avatar fits my name, which references my favorite album from my favorite band, Incubus. I also love mornings and sunrises--I find that time of day so peaceful. I also live on the west side of Lake Michigan and love going down to the beach and seeing the sun come up. The image was taken from the net though.
    Invincible_summer

Nevermind said:

Nevermind said:

That's what Darth Vader thought.

But I guess you will just come back as Dart Maul and we will be at it again...

Have you ever seen the unedited version of that scene?

John_Spencerriverflow
  • Genius. Unalloyed.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Mine is ASL (American Sign Language) for the word...
    .....'learn'.
    nenkohaiInvincible_summerlamaramadingdong
  • @lamaramadingdong Lamas are one of my favorite animals. I think they are beautiful, so please no spitting, your eyelashes are very lovely!!
  • MigyurMigyur Norway N 69,23 E 18,23 Explorer
    Samsara is a strange place and often I just feel like this little being.When than leaving this place entering the Bardo where everything is just a projection of my mind I wonder how this will be. Hm, I think I better practice now.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Mine is a picture of Kuan Yin, who's statue I have in my very basic Buddhist Shrine in the corner of my bedroom

In metta,
    Raven
    lobsterVastmindnenkohai
  • CheChe Veteran
    karasti said:

A wise decision :)

Kundo
  • CheChe Veteran
    Mine is a pic I took at a friends wedding reception venue in a tranquil valley near my home.
    Jeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I am a Wer-Lobster, only partly mermaid on my Mothers side. The avatar was drawn for me by our Puppy Linux artists.
    The Lobster has only 100 000 neurons but uses these in a quantum fashion for infinite arrangements. My rainbow body is human and female and is related to his noodliness the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    So to answer the question - I symbolize my avatar.
    John_Spencergracelee
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Mine is just my avatar from EVE online. I like it, mainly because I wear hoods whenever I can. If you were to ask why, I'd say because 1. it's warm, I like the added feeling of protection. And 2, because I appreciate the discretion a hood offers. Sometimes people are unable to see anything of your face, and that is comforting.
    Can anyone guess what my new avatar symbolizes?
    Perhaps you could just stop all this off-topic nonsense and just tell us.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    It is hands making a heart seems like.
    It didn't take 19 deleted off-topic posts to figure that one out.
    JeffreySillyPuttyJohn_Spencerericcris10sen
    federica said:

It didn't take 19 deleted off-topic posts to figure that one out.

Perhaps you should have read the 19th post where I explained the symbology before deleting it.

:lol: