Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the 'wisdom' of Deepak Chopra

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
Update your wisdom with the click of the mouse!

Those with a taste for the spiritually ludicrous may enjoy this.
EvenThirdJainarayanJeffreyVastmindBunks

Comments

• falling out of grace we attain peace

~I made that one up
    Hamsaka
  • "Kittens are insects". :wtf: That was on his site. Even I couldn't make that up.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Ohhh..I think he means well. I can see why he might not be popular
    on a Buddhist site, but that's another story..hahaha..
    Yes, the tweets would be fill-ins...how else would you recycle
    new material? Cost of doing twitter business...hahaha

His material is just what I might call light around the edges...which is fine by
    me....some people need a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine
    go down.... :)
  • Everything requires intrinsic farts
    I'm not lying that's what turned up :lol:
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    now now, don't forget Oprah :)
    Vastmind
    edited November 2013
    ^^^ C'mon now, cut Oprah some slack...this can be hard to fully
    absorb when you've grown up southern baptist.........Buddhist stuff....
    Just getting meditation
    out there....having good, sharing, loving conduct, and occasionally listing
    favorite candles..lololol, what could you have a problem with?
    You guys dont get me started on my Oprah !, hahaha
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    hehe, I heard about this from a friend who is doing their "meditation challenge" or some such. This is someone with a lot of negativity who i've tried to help and encourage meditation with for years to no avail, now she is trying this thing out of the blue. Hopefully it will help her.

I have no valid thoughts about it one way or the other because im not very familiar with Deepak or what they are teaching. All I know is that so far what the buddha taught has been proven time and time again to me in my practice and I always encourage others to find what works for them.
    VastmindDennis1FullCircle
  • We each find the depth required.
    It is perfectly acceptable to extoll the virtues of the shallows for the small fry.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/oprah_winfrey.html
    I can find wisdom at that link . . .
    Won't be looking for wisdom from the ever profitable prophet of profit but then I have discernment of sorts . . . :wave:
    Dennis1
    edited November 2013
    Making profit is not wrong...keeping it is.
    She has shared a lot more money than I ever
    could. She's not that....dangerous, hahaha
    Leave the small fries alone....:D
    I'll defend her to the end .....*stands on
    chair and pulls out pretend sword*

Anyone here taking the meditation course?
    They already did one set. I know a woman that
    signed up, but didn't start, let alone finish. I haven't
    listened to any of his CD's....only saw about 6-7
    interviews...haven't read any of his books..
    Disclaimer: I don't know much about his profits...hahaha

• MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I gotta back up @Vastmind on this Oprah thing.

To people in general I say-
    Find the (intentional) harm Oprah has done, to anyone, and let's discuss that, instead of mocking or dismissing her out of hand.

I feel the same way about Paula Deen, Deepak Chopra, and other vastly famous people in their fields, who more often than not are unfairly ridiculed and or demonized simply because they are 'famous'.
    Haters gonna hate, as they say.

As a matter of fact, it's their fame that probably keeps them / their faults in check more than the average Joe Shmoe, who doesn't have to worry about gossip columns or paparazzi catching them saying or doing anything "wrong".

Everything famous people say or do is blown waaaay out of proportion by the very people (in media and otherwise) who in some way profit off their gaffs.

Paula Deen for example; Paula has had many POC on her shows. Paula has actually helped POC get their own shows, backing them financially. Paula readily hires POC to work in her restaurant, and (as far as I've seen) on her show. But Paula said a word once, ONE word, 30-something years ago; and here's the thing- she ADMITTED IT, she never lied about it, not even once ... but it hit the media, created a frenzy, and she is now forever branded a "racist".

All the good she's done, all the charities she's given to, all the people she's helped, all the fans who love her style of cooking.... all down the crapper because of her saying that one word, in a context none of us were there to evaluate. I think that's disgraceful, way more disgraceful than Paula's use of a word 30+ yrs ago.

Now Oprah; Oprah has done more, given more, helped more people in the last 25 years, than any of us could even DREAM about helping in our lifetimes- or three lifetimes! But some people hate Oprah. They will hate her and tear her down- Why? Well, they hate that she's black, that she's rich, that she's a successful woman, and that she's fat.

That's how people are. Petty. Jealous. Judgmental. Bigoted. Envious.
    And until a famous person does something more "wrong" than saying a word, or being fat, or black, or rich.... I believe one should resist the urge to join the haters in their low-brow behavior against them. Especially so-called "Buddhists"

::: off my soapbox now! ::: :D

Hamsaka

• As for Deepak Chopra ... I read a couple of his earlier books back in the 90's.
    One of them was a very interesting theory that with the right kind of diet and emotional attitude, people could have a lifespan of 150 yrs within a couple of generations.

OK, that's a little 'out there'... and sometimes Deepak does sorta climb out on that Woo-woo limb. But he does mean well, and really, has he harmed anyone? I don't think so. His heart is in the right place, even if he's not my (or your) cup of tea...

Vastmind
  • I remember hearing him in an interview, talking about the night his father died.
    He said it was the night that George W. Bush was elected. After watching the election results, his father said something like " I don't like the way this looks", and then passed away during his meditation.
  • robot said:

I remember hearing him in an interview, talking about the night his father died.
    He said it was the night that George W. Bush was elected. After watching the election results, his father said something like " I don't like the way this looks", and then passed away during his meditation.

So it is not just the Iraqis who have died due to Bush.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Remember these are not quotes by Chopra but words he's used strung together to form a random sentence. If we did that to our posts here, we could come up with all kinds of crazy things.

I have some of his books and enjoy his philosophy but his Quantum Healing books left a sour taste in my mouth. Too many extra-ordinary claims. However, when he leaves that stuff out and sticks with religion, I could put him in the same league as Eckart Tolle. I think he's a good guy trying to help the best he can.

He wrote books about the lives of Buddha, Jesus and Mohammed and I thought he did a pretty good job with them.

As a side note: Who could possibly hate Oprah? I don't watch her show as it's obviously aimed at women more than men but she's done so much good for the world. I love Oprah!

I'll have to see what the deepak-Oprah connection is all about.
    JeffreyMaryAnne
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I agree, @Ourself and @MaryAnne. In criticizing specific people -- particularly famous people -- there is often a lot of "Petty. Jealous. Judgmental. Bigoted. Envious." behavior going on. Famous people aren't any more deserving of criticism than are we...just because they happen to be famous. If "you" don't like Ophra, don't watch Ophra. If you don't like Paula Deen, don't watch Paula Deen or buy her products. If you don't like Chopra, don't buy his books, etc.

I don't mean that they should be immune from criticism. If you don't think George Bush was a good president (and I agree), then it's fair to be critical of his decisions without condemning the "whole" man.

Back quite a while, a person was SEVERELY critical of Dick Cheney, expressed hate for Dick Cheney, and hoped his heart transplant surgery should fail. Within a day or two that same person was begging for prayers and meditations for a relative of theirs who was in the hospital.

What happened to metta for all?
    MaryAnne
  • The difference is Oprah is learning and doing good and chopRa is teaching his ignorance as wisdom. Do you notice a difference in attitude and effect?

People are brought to a greater involvement with the truth through studying Bag1 Shree Oshoo or whatever the cultists are bowing to now. Should we encourage peoples attraction to sham, convicted fraudsters and allow the well meaning Deephack his reasonably benign efforts?

Maybe we get the level of consumer or depth wisdom we karmically deserve? And now back to the persecuting . . .
    :buck:
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited November 2013
    FWIW, someone using the name "Deepak Chopra" left the following response on my blog, where I also posted to wisdom-generator site:
    Deepak Chopra
    November 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Those phrases are not mine. However parody is the best compliment.
  • genkaku said:

FWIW, someone using the name "Deepak Chopra" left the following response on my blog, where I also posted to wisdom-generator site:

Deepak Chopra
    November 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Those phrases are not mine. However parody is the best compliment.
    Sounds like a very even handed way to handle it.... :)
    lobsterChaz
    edited November 2013
    lobster said:

The difference is Oprah is learning and doing good and chopRa is teaching his ignorance as wisdom. Do you notice a difference in attitude and effect?

People are brought to a greater involvement with the truth through studying Bag1 Shree Oshoo or whatever the cultists are bowing to now. Should we encourage peoples attraction to sham, convicted fraudsters and allow the well meaning Deephack his reasonably benign efforts?

Maybe we get the level of consumer or depth wisdom we karmically deserve? And now back to the persecuting . . .
    :buck:

It's up to each individual to decide whether or not Ophra or Chopra or Lobster is wise or not. To say that Chopra needs to be held more responsible because of his books and appearances than is Lobster for his writings here is not reasonable. People in trouble come here, too. They read my comments and your comments and many other comments...and they get some good advice and some very bad advice. But just like Chopra, you and I are also putting out our message PUBLICLY for anyone to read...and some of those who are reading are probably living on the edge of sanity and wellness.

MaryAnnelobsterStraight_Man
  • @lobster

"Deephack?" - was that necessary? Why the childish disrespect?

Deepak Chopra may be "weird", or 'out there'.... maybe a bit too 'new age-y' for you or even me.... But I ask again, specifically, how does he HARM anyone?

I've read some of his books and articles several years back.... and while he's not my cup of tea, I never got the impression he's trying to teach any sort of counter-Buddhist (or counter-ANY-other-religion) message. He has his spiritual theories; his ideas on how to live happier, reduce stress and be healthier in mind and body... so where is the damage?
    Is he telling people: " Hey people! Buddhism/Christianity/Judaism/Islam is wrong, wrong, wrong.... THIS is what you have to do to be happy, healthy and live a long life!"
    And even if he is... so what?
    He's entitled to talk about his preferred method of spiritual health and well being, even if it IS different than the usual religious paths we're taught. No one is being forced to abandon their faith and join his.
    But if they do, then perhaps they're really in need of another path.

I don't get where you're coming from on this anti-Chopra thing, Lobster.
    Especially you- as one who spews some of the most odd and "out there" stuff sometimes.... and you do it with complete consciousness, too. Pot calling the kettle black?
    vinlynrobotChaz
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited November 2013
    @MaryAnne

People get upset when some smooth-talking people make money using spirituality. Nobody is angry with Ajahn Brahm, Goldstein and the like simply because they are not becoming rich/famous using religion as a means. They feel the oprahs and chopras are the new age equivalent of Benny Hinn and the rest.

I don't wanna argue, but I see where they're coming from. Most of them seek spirituality bcos they have been hurt by crude materialism - but when they encounter the spirituality of Chopras and Oprahs they end up finding more materialism disguised as spirituality. This upsets them. I understand. Not gonna judge them.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Sorry @betaboy... not buying your theory. For a number of reasons.
    And honestly, I would prefer that Lobster explain his own opinions/posts.
    vinlynChaz
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

falling out of grace we attain peace

~I made that one up

@Jeffrey, this could be a great koan :)

Gassho :)

• I don't get where you're coming from on this anti-Chopra thing, Lobster.
    Inaptitude and lack of depth when providing 'advice' in the spiritual realm leaves a mess for the rest of us to clear up, if that is the uncalled for role we have a kindling for . . .
    It is why the fluffy bunny new agers, the populists, the rogue gurus (in particular) are so counter productive. Deepwhack Shopper is reasonably ineffective and innocuous.
    People such as Choggyeah Trumpet are downright dangerous. They provide genuine depth teachings with the 'by example' teachings of a flounder. They do good by introducing and promoting insight and an incalculable mess that may take decades or longer to sort out.

The problem is very simple and the solution. All teachings boil down to 'be kind' all spiritual means have ways to this goal. However we have to come to this conclusion and what it entails via the available routes . . .

I have no interest in promoting the ego defenders searching with Google for their favourite preacher and unfolding their kindness on the merits of their gnu guru of choice.

Kindness in the spiritual realm is hard to fathom, words are always harsh seeming particularly on the net, open to misinterpretation, defence mechanism, alignment with preferences etc

If we say to a Christian 'Be still, and know that I am God.' from Psalms 46, how many can without being drawn into a whole realm of biblical 'wisdom' that would scare the demons out of hell?

As for my own indefensible behavior, largely it is prescriptive in nature according to my limited skill set. My words includes juggling for the circus goers. A purgative to dissuade those with desires to follow rather than find their way and of course it contains several knots to unravel - got to have something for the pot heads . . .

. . . and now back to another kinder whirled

:wave:
  • @lobster

I get what you're saying, but it is a free market ... for ideas as well, not just products/services. Nobody is forcing people to 'buy' from the likes of Chopra.
    lobster
  • lobster said:

I don't get where you're coming from on this anti-Chopra thing, Lobster.
    Inaptitude and lack of depth when providing 'advice' in the spiritual realm leaves a mess for the rest of us to clear up, if that is the uncalled for role we have a kindling for . . .
    It is why the fluffy bunny new agers, the populists, the rogue gurus (in particular) are so counter productive. Deepwhack Shopper is reasonably ineffective and innocuous.
    People such as Choggyeah Trumpet are downright dangerous. They provide genuine depth teachings with the 'by example' teachings of a flounder. They do good by introducing and promoting insight and an incalculable mess that may take decades or longer to sort out.

The problem is very simple and the solution. All teachings boil down to 'be kind' all spiritual means have ways to this goal. However we have to come to this conclusion and what it entails via the available routes . . .

I have no interest in promoting the ego defenders searching with Google for their favourite preacher and unfolding their kindness on the merits of their gnu guru of choice.

Kindness in the spiritual realm is hard to fathom, words are always harsh seeming particularly on the net, open to misinterpretation, defence mechanism, alignment with preferences etc

If we say to a Christian 'Be still, and know that I am God.' from Psalms 46, how many can without being drawn into a whole realm of biblical 'wisdom' that would scare the demons out of hell?

As for my own indefensible behavior, largely it is prescriptive in nature according to my limited skill set. My words includes juggling for the circus goers. A purgative to dissuade those with desires to follow rather than find their way and of course it contains several knots to unravel - got to have something for the pot heads . . .

. . . and now back to another kinder whirled

I'm confused again. Can someone please point out where the ego trip ends and the kindness begins in this post?
    If someone benefits from a certain author at a certain time in their journey, where is the kindness in causing them to doubt their choice?
    I read many books by Lobsang Rampa as a young person. Later I realized that there were more credible authors out there.
    Thankfully I did not have the benevolent lobster to "clear up the mess" that I was left in.
    It's one of those " if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" scenarios.
    Don't lobsters have mothers?
    Keep working on that skill set.
    vinlynlobsterMaryAnneJeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Here is a small confession I made on my blog the other day ... maybe relevant, maybe not:
    Reading a Facebook discussion about the trip stones in Zen Buddhism, it occurred to me that my bias is pretty strong. Not 'right,' just strong. Based on some experience mixed with a bunch of taste, it goes like this:

All religious persuasions are lies waiting for adherents to winkle out the truth.

And what is the truth?

You can't know that without giving things a try ... without, in short, entering freely into a world of lies.

I honestly can't think of any other way to get a fershur bead on things.

Unless you want to be content with intellectual and emotional folderol ... in other words, unless you are satisfied with lies.
  • @lobster.
    Thank you for directly answering my question. You've never done that before.
    I think I know why, now....
    It's not the pot calling the kettle black, after all-- it's the pot looking in a fun house mirror and seeing himself dressed as a Dalai Lama.

Good Luck with that, Choggyeah Trumpet wannabe.
    robotvinlyn
  • chopra becomes a monk in thailand.

• I don't get this. Are we not allowed to be critical at all? Must we never question anyone?
    betaboy said:

I don't get this. Are we not allowed to be critical at all? Must we never question anyone?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. There's a big difference between saying, "Deepak is a charlatan who is only out for money," and "Deepak's take on _____ is misguided."

On is criticizing the whole person, the other is criticizing a belief that a person has.

To me it's very much like dismissing Buddha or Christ, rather than seeing that both have many areas in which one can find wisdom. The fact that one may disagree with rebirth or karma does not mean that one has to throw out all the wisdom of Buddha.

• vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

I don't get this. Are we not allowed to be critical at all? Must we never question anyone?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. There's a big difference between saying, "Deepak is a charlatan who is only out for money," and "Deepak's take on _____ is misguided."

On is criticizing the whole person, the other is criticizing a belief that a person has.

To me it's very much like dismissing Buddha or Christ, rather than seeing that both have many areas in which one can find wisdom. The fact that one may disagree with rebirth or karma does not mean that one has to throw out all the wisdom of Buddha.

The diff. is, Jesus or Buddha did not make money out of spirituality. So when the likes of Chopra do, it is not a mere disagreement - it becomes a matter of ethics, so tempers may run high. Please try to see both PoVs.
  • I say whatever floats your boat. Some like gurus some like just meditation.
    betaboy said:

vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

The diff. is, Jesus or Buddha did not make money out of spirituality. So when the likes of Chopra do, it is not a mere disagreement - it becomes a matter of ethics, so tempers may run high. Please try to see both PoVs.
    I understand that. But you also have to remember that Deepak graduated from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, spent his first months as a doctor working in rural India, and eventually became Chief of Staff at the New England Memorial Hospital in the United States. Health issues are his profession. Most of us make money from our professions. Buddha or Christ weren't professionals. The vast majority of ministers, priests, and other religious leaders in the West earn money in their profession.

MaryAnne
  • genkaku said:

Unless you want to be content with intellectual and emotional folderol ... in other words, unless you are satisfied with lies.

That seems to be the preference. What I find agreeable, sensible, in short what accords with my delusions must be the truth . . . And of course subjectively it is.
    This is why shallow bubble gum gurus are popular. They provide the platitudes we can nod sagely and knowingly to but carry on the same . . .
    However to stimulate the genuine discernment means entering the delusionary subjectivity in a digestible manner. Stating what is not hearable is largely futile.
    robot said:

I'm confused again.

It is clear you are certain about what clarity entails . . . for others. Yep me too. Extend that to our inner confusion. In other words being clear about our motivations and that is where the delusion starts and ends. I think Deerpark Opera sings the same truth . . .

I would suggest that Lobster's rants on this topic repeatedly violate the concept of right speech, as outlined here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vaca/index.html
    robotMaryAnnelobster
  • @Lobster,
    They provide the platitudes we can nod sagely and knowingly to but carry on the same . . .
    Do you think it easy to avoid platitudes as a teacher. A platitude is like "early to bed and early to rise". I find dharma to be taught in very inventive ways to avoid platitudes.

Your favorite guru, CTR, has an extremely novel presentation of Buddhism. My teacher also has a novel presentation.
  • vinlyn said:

I would suggest that Lobster's rants on this topic repeatedly violate the concept of right speech, as outlined here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca4/samma-vaca/index.html

Agreed.
    In fact it wouldn't do me any harm to read that once a week or more.
  • @Lobster...
    "When you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit"

There's a platitude for ya. Oh wait, you already practice that one....

Happy Thanksgiving! :D
  • betaboy said:

vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

Aaaah, so it's the money you're jealous about.
    Ok, at least you're honest about it. Or are you?

• betaboy said:

vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

If I'm not mistaken, once the Buddha began teaching, alms were his only source of income. Unless he received money from his family, which would amount to the same thing.
    Alms are voluntary. So is the purchase of someone's book.
    MaryAnne
  • Jeffrey said:

@Lobster,
    Do you think it easy to avoid platitudes as a teacher. A platitude is like "early to bed and early to rise". I find dharma to be taught in very inventive ways to avoid platitudes.

This is why I find the random generation of wisdom and prime time wisdom TV relatively innocuous. It may inspire the search for more depth.
    Most people are not interested in depth teaching, they wish for confirmation of their current comprehension as wisdom.
    As they mature, increasingly they question their beliefs about what they know. In other words the wisdom of platitudes, the futility of opposition to peoples 'understanding' which is always less than their imagination or maybe that is just my imagination . . . In other words it is an evolving process and relationship with our experience. So in this sense how we relate to what is present is reflective of our capacity to digest and find nutrition.

This is why breaking our preconceptions about what is virtue, what is profiteering and what instills the capacity to recognise the value in even the struggling, the certain, the deluded, the judgemental etc is part of an ongoing exploration, not a static call to authority.

Dharma has to be inventive because our nature is so inventive and consequently being direct is just too Chopric and platitudinous. When ready, we find the simplicity was always present and always there for us.

Hamsaka
  • MaryAnne said:

betaboy said:

vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

Do you think it's ethical to make money out of spirituality?
    betaboy said:

MaryAnne said:

betaboy said:

vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

Yes. Even religious men and women need to eat, buy clothing, have shelter, and so forth.

• vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

MaryAnne said:

betaboy said:

vinlyn said:

betaboy said:

Yes. Even religious men and women need to eat, buy clothing, have shelter, and so forth.

Yes, we all need money for essential things, without which we won't survive, agreed. But a spiritual person going on and on about love, compassion, etc. and living in a million-dollar mansion ... you think that's a necessity?
    edited November 2013
    What if your out to make money and make a living first, and
    the spirituality comes later.....?

Maybe not in this case, but some young guy may need to write
    20 books to sort out his thoughts and pay the bills...then after
    some life experience with it all.....may 'get it'.
    The OP was about the tweets....and like i said...that's expected to
    happen when someone famous is trying to stay relative with almost
    daily reminders. Of course, it all starts to sound the same hahahaha
    betaboy said:

Yes, we all need money for essential things, without which we won't survive, agreed. But a spiritual person going on and on about love, compassion, etc. and living in a million-dollar mansion ... you think that's a necessity?

There are lots of things in life which aren't necessities...some of which I imagine you indulge in. That doesn't make you a bad person.

I personally don't think obsessive judging of others is a necessity, either.

MaryAnne
  • Jayantha said:

now now, don't forget Oprah :)

hmmm

• I'm really sad to see our first amendment freedom broken on the say of racists. I mean POC ? It took me three reads just to understand what that means. When I hear someone abusive and saying I can say what I want I have freedom of speech, I say yeah me too and then I say something not so nice. I think our freedom of speech is going because we misuse words and get away with it. When you challenge a mis-use you find out the guy doesn't like dictionaries and doesn't want to hear about some useless agreement on what words mean.

Like heart and mind. We have had a good discussion on what is the same and what might not be the same and it is hard to agree because of different languages and lineages etc. But at least we can talk and agree or disagree and nobody says they will just have to wait till we die in order to overcome our stupidity. There should be a good Buddhist dictionary for English speakers. We should also use the fine dictionaries we already have for English. I say everyone should get to claim the first amendment and smart people use a dictionary so we can understand each other. An I'm includin POCs in that-whatever that means. Best
This discussion has been closed.