Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Am I A Bodhisattva?

Well, am I? How would you know? Can you know? What would distinguish me? What would mark me out? Can a small mind understand a great mind enough to recognise a great mind? Could the things that make you think I wouldn't be actually be the reasons that I am? For all appearances, can any one of you state as true that I am not?

I was at a Kadampa Buddhist festival a few months ago, and the resident teacher (Geshe Kelsang Gyatso) was talking about how Bodhisattvas manifest in many varied forms - some subtle, some overt, some to achieve small outcomes, some to achieve great results, but always working for the benefit of all living beings. I'd never heard this idea before and it got me thinking about what forms in our world may be Bodhisattvas and how we'd recognise them as such.

Of course, I offered up Kurt Cobain as an example, which a few of you took very seriously, whilst others got the point I was making about looking. Looking is very important. When we look with open eyes then we begin to see many amazing things, but when we start with eyes shut then even the most ardent seeker is only going to re-inforce their own perspectives.

It's been good to see that a few threads have popped up in response to that initial query, although one seemed to be in jest. It's amazing the vitriol that can be provoked by having a look, seeking in unusual places, connecting curious dots just to see what picture might appear. Even within Buddhism - a philosophy feted for being inquisitive and questioning - there still seem to be many who want remain narrowly locked in on a very small view.

Anyway, back to the question. Am I a Bodhisattva? If so, how do you know? If not, why not? And how are you able to be the judge?

Cinorjer

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I don't know if you are or aren't.
    That's about as looky loo as I can get.
    :)
    person
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Am I a Bodhisattva?

Maybe. Maybe not.
    If so, how do you know?
    Ultimately, the question should be what do YOU think. Do you think you're a Bodhisattva? What other's think is quite irrelevant.

If you think you're a Bodhisattva, then it would be best to start being one. A Bodhisattva is one who has vowed to aid sentient beings in reaching the Awakend State.

Read the 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva:

http://www.garchen.net/resources/37practices.pdf

You may consider taking Bodhisattva Vows at some point.

And, get to work!

Jeffrey
  • mindatriskmindatrisk Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Chaz said:

Am I a Bodhisattva?

Maybe. Maybe not.
    If so, how do you know?
    Ultimately, the question should be what do YOU think. Do you think you're a Bodhisattva? What other's think is quite irrelevant.

If you think you're a Bodhisattva, then it would be best to start being one. A Bodhisattva is one who has vowed to aid sentient beings in reaching the Awakend State.

And, get to work!

I think there is a difference between someone taking the vows and becoming a practicing Bodhisattva and someone who is a realised Bodhisattva. What i'm talking about is a realised Bodhisattva, i.e. a being who has perhaps had many incarnations serving as a Bodhisattva in numerous forms. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso said that a Bodhisattva does not need to take the form of an enlightened teacher or even that of a human, but of any form that is beneficial to living beings. For example, penicillin could be regarded as a form that a Bodhisattva has taken.

The Bodhisattva does not necessarily work for the direct and immediate enlightenment of living beings but towards the 'end goal', i.e. a Bodhisattva understands that most living beings will not attain enlightenment in one lifetime - many would not even if they had direct access to a Buddha, so instead they operate to help progress living beings along the path. For example, having good material conditions is very helpful for spiritual practice, so a Bodhisattva could manifest in the form of penicillin, as I said earlier.

So, i'm looking at realised Bodhisattvas, not practicing Bodhisattvas. If I were a Bodhisattva then I wouldn't need to take the vows, and, in fact, as part of my function for being here I might have to break a few vows. Such is skilful means.

The question I ask is because, if there are manifest Bodhisattvas in our world taking forms to help living beings, then it would be ever so helpful to know how to find them! There are many helpful forms on this planet... are all helpful forms therefore Bodhisattvas, or maybe just the very, very helpful forms? Do we have minds capable of seeing them? Or can we simply trust to our karma that we might benefit from them?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Well, am I? How would you know? Can you know? What would distinguish me? What would mark me out? Can a small mind understand a great mind enough to recognise a great mind? Could the things that make you think I wouldn't be actually be the reasons that I am? For all appearances, can any one of you state as true that I am not?

I was at a Kadampa Buddhist festival a few months ago, and the resident teacher (Geshe Kelsang Gyatso) was talking about how Bodhisattvas manifest in many varied forms - some subtle, some overt, some to achieve small outcomes, some to achieve great results, but always working for the benefit of all living beings. I'd never heard this idea before and it got me thinking about what forms in our world may be Bodhisattvas and how we'd recognise them as such.

Of course, I offered up Kurt Cobain as an example, which a few of you took very seriously, whilst others got the point I was making about looking. Looking is very important. When we look with open eyes then we begin to see many amazing things, but when we start with eyes shut then even the most ardent seeker is only going to re-inforce their own perspectives.

It's been good to see that a few threads have popped up in response to that initial query, although one seemed to be in jest. It's amazing the vitriol that can be provoked by having a look, seeking in unusual places, connecting curious dots just to see what picture might appear. Even within Buddhism - a philosophy feted for being inquisitive and questioning - there still seem to be many who want remain narrowly locked in on a very small view.

Anyway, back to the question. Am I a Bodhisattva? If so, how do you know? If not, why not? And how are you able to be the judge?

Perhaps you are. One who's manifested as a pain in NewBuddhist's ass. :D
    vinlynHamsakafedericaEvenThird
  • Jason said:

Ha! Reminds me of a certain Jesus and the Jews... ;)
  • Jason said:

It's actually a serious point, and it pertains to my original question. You see, so often in history great spiritual teachers have caused havoc, they've upset people, they've caused great offence, insult swathes of people, and - in some cases - ended up killed for it. So, given we know this, how can we know the true quality of any thing? How can we know what it means? How can we know what it represents or what its function is?

Some here seem me as a pain-in-the-arse, that is certainly true, but why is that? Is it because I am a pain-in-the-arse, or is it just that I am perceived as a pain-in-the-arse, and if it is just perception (and how could it not be) then what are the causes of the perception? Am I a pain-in-the-arse because I speak utter and total nonsense, in which case, you could (and would) just ignore me, or am I a pain-in-the-arse because I get between the cracks of spiritual comfort zones and expose the bull-shit? I'm going to be a pain-in-the-arse and suggest it is the latter. :D

One thing is for certain, that my presence here exposes a fundamental flaw in the spiritual practice of many here. Buddhism is ALL about our own mind, and yet the amount of times certain people have told me that I am X, Y and Z and that I do X, Y and Z when, in truth, it's just their minds imputing everything... everything. Someone like me should be regarded as an absolute blessing in a Buddhist forum...

'Oh, great, Mindatrisk is causing trouble again, what a wonderful chance to practice patience and to observe my mind and to extend my compassion and understanding to this unfortunate sod' etc. etc. And YET... well, we know how people respond to me here. :)

So, back to the question - only now with another layer, because we can see that not only might Bodhisattvas take on non-human, non-overt forms, but they might take on forms that actually cause quite a bit of trouble. Therefore, could George W. Bush be a Bodhisattva? His actions certainly woke a fair few people up to certain political insanities. What is the measure? What criteria should we be using? Is it even possible for us to know what form a Bodhisattva has manifested? Maybe our minds are simply too small to understand the being and doing of a Bodhisattva. Still, for the sake of discussion...

Chaz said:

Am I a Bodhisattva?

Maybe. Maybe not.
    If so, how do you know?

And, get to work!

I think there is a difference between someone taking the vows and becoming a practicing Bodhisattva and someone who is a realised Bodhisattva. What i'm talking about is a realised Bodhisattva, i.e. a being who has perhaps had many incarnations serving as a Bodhisattva in numerous forms. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso said that a Bodhisattva does not need to take the form of an enlightened teacher or even that of a human, but of any form that is beneficial to living beings. For example, penicillin could be regarded as a form that a Bodhisattva has taken.

The Bodhisattva does not necessarily work for the direct and immediate enlightenment of living beings but towards the 'end goal', i.e. a Bodhisattva understands that most living beings will not attain enlightenment in one lifetime - many would not even if they had direct access to a Buddha, so instead they operate to help progress living beings along the path. For example, having good material conditions is very helpful for spiritual practice, so a Bodhisattva could manifest in the form of penicillin, as I said earlier.

So, i'm looking at realised Bodhisattvas, not practicing Bodhisattvas. If I were a Bodhisattva then I wouldn't need to take the vows, and, in fact, as part of my function for being here I might have to break a few vows. Such is skilful means.

The question I ask is because, if there are manifest Bodhisattvas in our world taking forms to help living beings, then it would be ever so helpful to know how to find them! There are many helpful forms on this planet... are all helpful forms therefore Bodhisattvas, or maybe just the very, very helpful forms? Do we have minds capable of seeing them? Or can we simply trust to our karma that we might benefit from them?

REALIZED Bodhisattva??????

Okay now I understand.

Still, it'a maybe/maybe not.

Do they look like this?

I'm joking somewhat ... that's a depiction of a Sambodhakaya form. You're talking about Nirmanakaya. Beings like us can't see the Samboghakaya form. We can see Nirmanakaya. The form of the Buddha that turned the wheel of Dharma was Nirmanakaya.

I think you can't always recognize a Bodhisattva. You may go through a life and meet one or many, but never truly recognize them. They say the Dalai Lama is an emanation of the Bodhisattva Mahasattva Avalokiteshvara (pictured above). Do you you recognize him as such (don't worry, you don't have to ...)? If you don't recognize that, then a more subtle or obscure manifestation will most likely escape you.

Interesting what Geshe-la said about penicillin. I hadn't considered that.

Remember, Bodhisattvas pass through countless lifetimes, just like we all do. Through skillfull means they manifest for the benefit of beings on their path to awakening.

Ultimately you don't have to know if a Bodhisattva has crossed your path, but it's safe to say that one or more already has across your innumerable lifetimes.
  • Chaz said:

REALIZED Bodhisattva??????

Okay now I understand.

Still, it'a maybe/maybe not.

Do they look like this?

I'm joking somewhat ... that's a depiction of a Sambodhakaya form. You're talking about Nirmanakaya. Beings like us can't see the Samboghakaya form. We can see Nirmanakaya. The form of the Buddha that turned the wheel of Dharma was Nirmanakaya.

I think you can't always recognize a Bodhisattva. You may go through a life and meet one or many, but never truly recognize them. They say the Dalai Lama is an emanation of the Bodhisattva Mahasattva Avalokiteshvara (pictured above). Do you you recognize him as such (don't worry, you don't have to ...)? If you don't recognize that, then a more subtle or obscure manifestation will most likely escape you.

Interesting what Geshe-la said about penicillin. I hadn't considered that.

Remember, Bodhisattvas pass through countless lifetimes, just like we all do. Through skillfull means they manifest for the benefit of beings on their path to awakening.

Ultimately you don't have to know if a Bodhisattva has crossed your path, but it's safe to say that one or more already has across your innumerable lifetimes.

Geshe-la didn't say about penicillin, it's an example i've used. Geshe-la just explained the concept of Bodhisattvas emanating in various forms to help us. I think it would help us a lot to be aware that Bodhisattvas are manifesting in our world in various guises to help us. I mean, if you don't know that penicillin can help you then you can't seek it if you need it, right? So, the idea that there are these emanations in our world here to help should be the catalyst for seeking them. It is only due to our ignorance that we cannot recognise them, and I certainly don't see why we'd need to chance to luck to be blessed by one, if indeed we can work towards seeing them.

That's why I started this whole conversation going as an example of looking... we have a much better chance of seeing when we are looking. If we begin to look for Bodhisattvas (and there's no reason or rule why we should not) then we can harness their benefits so much more, and share those benefits with others. I am sure that Bodhisattvas want to help as many living beings as possible, I don't think they need or desire to be shrouded in mystery or unseen by us. If penicillin is a Bodhisattva emanation then i'm sure said Bodhisattva is delighted that so many have benefited from it!

So, I disagree with you on this one, Chazzy Chaz Chaz. I think we should be looking for help and helpers, and I think we need to broaden our perspective of what that help and those helpers might look like. The one i'll offer up is Ayahuasca. For me, if what Geshe-la taught is true then I can see no better contender for an emanation of a Bodhisattva in a non-human form. It's even regarded as a 'teaching plant', and has been described as like 20 years of therapy in one night. Here is a great article about it in National Geographic...

http://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/adventure/0603/features/peru.html
    Like I said, there's at least one out there, if tradition is to be believed - the Dalai Lama. If that doesn't suit you, or you don't beleieve it, then you need to keep looking.

Nowhere in a any teaching I've ever heard of is there any instruction to seek out Bodhisattvas. They'll find you if that's your karma. That said, if you want to keep on looking, then knock yourself out!
  • Okay, but what if it is your karma to have someone come a long and tell you to look for the Bodhisattvas, for they are waiting and wanting to be seen...? What if it is, as such, your karma to go out looking? What if we are entering a time where we no longer need stumble around in the dark praying for blessings, but can actually actively seek them out? Would this not be wise? Would this not be fruitful? Does it matter what was said before when new things can be said?

We cannot pick and choose karma, for karma is all, but we can have the wisdom to see, we can have the wisdom to understand, we can have the wisdom to see and understand that not every discussion is a YOU vs ME but is sometimes a 'knock, knock' from your said karma.

The Dalai Lama is an obvious contender. He is probably responsible for spreading Buddhism and the Dharma further than anyone in Buddhist history. There is no doubt to me that he is a Bodhisattva... Geshe-la too.
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Oh dear, did you really just say this?

If you really DO something compassionate, that enables another being to see that there is much, much more than their miserable self-obsession, you have moved mountains.

All the rest is mental masturbation and shouldn't be mistaken for anything more.

Gassho :)

EvenThirdpoptart
  • mindatriskmindatrisk Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Jason said:

Some here seem me as a pain-in-the-arse, that is certainly true, but why is that? Is it because I am a pain-in-the-arse, or is it just that I am perceived as a pain-in-the-arse, and if it is just perception (and how could it not be) then what are the causes of the perception? Am I a pain-in-the-arse because I speak utter and total nonsense, in which case, you could (and would) just ignore me, or am I a pain-in-the-arse because I get between the cracks of spiritual comfort zones and expose the bull-shit? I'm going to be a pain-in-the-arse and suggest it is the latter. :D

I perceive you to be a pain in the ass because of the numerous threads you post that seem to be designed purely to stir people up and end up devolving into pissing contests that I and the other moderators then have to moderate.
    I can honestly say, hand on my Buddhist heart, that not once have I started any thread to stir people up, and I can't really see which thread you'd suggest as an example of this...?

That they descend into 'pissing contests' is the responsibility of the participants, not the opening post. I am here as a genuine seeker, and yeah, I ask challenging questions, I share unusual perceptions, but I am 100% sincere in doing so, and I can promise you that. I don't judge anyone, I don't attack anyone, I don't make personal comments, I just discuss the points at hand.

I think a time will come - and do hold me to this, but be patient too - when some here will look back on what i've said and recognise the truth in my words. I think the problem now is that I have a reputation, and that reputation sullies my posts and casts them in a certain, undeserved, light, i.e. that I post to stir people up, which, if you knew me, you'd realise how ridiculous a statement that was. Alas, you don't.

But the point remains the same - and I think this is what upsets people - is that your perceptions, your thoughts, your feelings, are your responsibility. If you are pissed off by me then that is because of you, not me. I don't think people like that being said to them, and yet, that is the essence of Buddhism.

Many times i've felt anger, despondency, frustration, and upset here. In my life it has been hard to find others so dedicated to the spiritual life, and so to come here and to expect to form connections only to find people wanting to chase me out of town has been difficult. But I know myself, I know my intentions, I know my actions, and, sadly, they are misunderstood here, but that is okay!

I am responsible for my mind. Any anger, any despondency, any frustration, etc. that I feel is MY responsibility. To me, it does not matter how anyone acts towards me here, how I respond is my choice and my responsibility. I can assure you with all my heart that all my actions here are born of a desire to be helpful and beneficial here... it just so happens that maybe the biggest help and benefit I can offer here is to have the role that I have now. The truth is the truth whether it is liked or not - and i'll say again for posterity - one day some here will look back and see that I have spoken truth.
    Jeffrey
  • Hamsaka said:

If you really DO something compassionate, that enables another being to see that there is much, much more than their miserable self-obsession, you have moved mountains.

All the rest is mental masturbation and shouldn't be mistaken for anything more.

So, why are you replying here? :)
    Chaz
    edited December 2013
    How was your Christmas? Do anything fun?
  • Vastmind said:

How was your Christmas? Do anything fun?

I was alone. My family (parents, siblings) went away. I had the option of joining them, but I didn't want to. Instead I planned a week of fasting and silence, but that fell apart on day two (Christmas day). Still, it was okay. I watched a movie called Zodiac and ate chickpea and apple salad. I didn't have much in because of the fast, but I managed to rustle together that salad, and it was really nice. There was flaked almonds in there, dried sage, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, cayenne pepper, S&P and some white onion... I think that was it. It was good for a throw together. :) I don't care about Christmas at all, except to honour JC and remember his example. How about you... nice Christmas?
    Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Sometimes, in high-class stores in the West End of London, you see certain items in the windows that look amazing, but there's no price tag. The common response is "If you have to ask, you can't afford it...."

I think a similar thing would apply here....
    "If you have to ask then you can't be it....."
    Chaz
    Mine was super nice...thanks for asking.
  • federica said:

Sometimes, in high-class stores in the West End of London, you see certain items in the windows that look amazing, but there's no price tag. The common response is "If you have to ask, you can't afford it...."

I think a similar thing would apply here....
    "If you have to ask then you can't be it....."

Hmmm. I suppose it depends. What if I were an awakening Bodhisattva - not there yet, but getting a sniff of something spicy...? Then it might be reasonable to ask. Alas, i'm not actually asking for me, i'm just curious as to how we could know a Bodhisattva, if indeed we could.
  • If you are caught in the notion of a being, a life, and a lifespan, etc then you are not a bodhisattva.

~diamond sutra
    lobsterEvenThirdzenff
  • Also have you taken and do you follow the Bodhisattva vows?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Bodhi means "enlightenment." "Sattva" is the sanskrit for "satta" which means a being who is bound by passion, delight, craving. So a Bodhisattva is simply a being who is bound up by passion, delight, craving for enlightenment. Not a mystery at all, and while it's impossible to reliably, positively determine that someone else is a Bodhisattva, there are many behaviors which reliably indicate that a person isn't one.
    lobster
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Realized Buddhisattvas do take their vows seriously. If you want to believe a turnip is a bodhisattva that is fine with me. I don't think that way, but feel free to do as you will!!!
    :thumbsup:
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Hamsaka said:

So, why are you replying here? :)

Because I thought you might want to know :)

If there is nothing else in Buddhist wisdom, it is putting the most amount of work into seeing yourself (your mind, your actions, their consequences etc) as clearly as possible.

What you intend, and how you are perceived, is excellent grist for the mill. If what you intend is different than how you are perceived, who do you think is responsible for that, and how is that responsibility assigned?

If you have an important message, and have a hard time getting the point across, if your first conclusion is that THEY are Jews and you are Jesus (for metaphor's sake, not literally) then I trust your intention less and less. And before you say it doesn't matter, it does matter, very much, if you tend to inspire lack of trust in your intention.

Obviously your brain is alive with ideas, and frankly, I believe that is an excellent thing, possibly for everyone whom you meet and interact with. However, the attitudes you have beneath your ideas do you no favors :( . That's OK, we didn't hear from Jesus until he was 33, maybe because he was an arrogant toe rag, and had a bit of growing up to do before anything he said could be trusted?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    fivebells said:

Bodhi means "enlightenment." "Sattva" is the sanskrit for "satta" which means a being who is bound by passion, delight, craving. So a Bodhisattva is simply a being who is bound up by passion, delight, craving for enlightenment. Not a mystery at all, and while it's impossible to reliably, positively determine that someone else is a Bodhisattva, there are many behaviors which reliably indicate that a person isn't one.

So a Bodhisattva is simply a being who is bound up by passion, delight, craving for enlightenment

Did you mean 'who is not bound up?' Otherwise most of us are bodhisattvas.
  • Jeffrey said:

If you are caught in the notion of a being, a life, and a lifespan, etc then you are not a bodhisattva.

~diamond sutra

This is helpful, but quite limited. Again, it comes down to appearances, doesn't it? The appearance of being caught in the notion of a being, a life, and a lifespan etc. doesn't mean that it is so. It's very difficult to determine. Let's try a different angle... Why is Hitler not a Bodhisattva? Maybe we can deduce a Bodhisattva from what it is not.
  • Am I A Bodhisattva?
    No.
    vinlynriverflowEvenThirdThePensum
  • @Jeffrey, I meant what I said. It doesn't mean most of us are bodhisattvas. Very few people actually have a genuine passion for enlightenment.
    Dandelionlobsterriverflow

Okay, but (snip)

But, but, but but BUT!

You're over-analyzing. Right now, the chances are that if you wouldn't recognize a Bodhisattva, of any sort, if one knocked you down and sat on you, so don't worry about it. Better to practice to gain the skillful means to know one when you see him or her or it. It'll be of greater benefit to beings to practice than to concern yourself with this ........ meeting.
  • Really good points here, and well said too. Thanks.
    Hamsaka said:

Because I thought you might want to know :)

Touche!
    Hamsaka said:

What you intend, and how you are perceived, is excellent grist for the mill. If what you intend is different than how you are perceived, who do you think is responsible for that, and how is that responsibility assigned?

Hmmm. In general i'd say that this is reasonably true. One problem is that I don't think it is possible to judge a person by their words on a screen. The other thing can again be exemplified by what happened to Jesus... and many others. Let's forget Jesus. Take Nelson Mandela... he was a terrorist to millions around the world, and now he is celebrated as the conscience of the world.

So, to answer your question, we are each responsible for our own perceptions, always. There might be a huge gap between how I am and how you see me, but whether that is justified or not, you remain responsible for your perceptions. If it is creating a problem for me that I wish to change then it is for me to change, but it actually isn't. I trust myself. I know my mind and intentions very well. I know that if you met me you would love me, and to some degree that gives me the freedom to remain true to myself here. How you and others are reading my words on a screen and how they are actually being written are two very different things. But in this case i've decided not to change, because I think there is a bigger picture and a bigger lesson for us all to learn through this.
    Hamsaka said:

If you have an important message, and have a hard time getting the point across, if your first conclusion is that THEY are Jews and you are Jesus (for metaphor's sake, not literally) then I trust your intention less and less. And before you say it doesn't matter, it does matter, very much, if you tend to inspire lack of trust in your intention.

There was a wink at the end of that sentence which should have told you all you needed to know about what I was saying, but even if there wasn't, I ask again, are my words on a screen really sufficient for you to have any judgements or conclusions about me? Do you feel it is fair to lose trust in someone based on some pixels? I've said this many times here before... if you really want to judge me then at least meet me in person and spend time with me, but doing it based on this is a bit silly.
    Hamsaka said:

Obviously your brain is alive with ideas, and frankly, I believe that is an excellent thing, possibly for everyone whom you meet and interact with. However, the attitudes you have beneath your ideas do you no favors :( . That's OK, we didn't hear from Jesus until he was 33, maybe because he was an arrogant toe rag, and had a bit of growing up to do before anything he said could be trusted?

I'm 31! And I am NOT arrogant! Again, please, if you want to judge then meet me! You have no idea who you are talking to, and likewise I have no idea who I am talking to. I know nothing about you at all, and I wouldn't for a second presume that I could know anything about you from your words on a screen. I'm not here to share a message. But I feel that I and a few others here are locked in a karmic dance for whatever reasons, and for as long as I feel impelled to be here then i'm happy (and curious) to play my part. But do me a favour, forget about personal comments, it's pointless, just comment on what is being said and leave the assumptions to one side. You don't know me, I don't know you, so let's respect that and just enjoy the discussion. :)
  • Chaz said:

Okay, but (snip)

But, but, but but BUT!

You're over-analyzing. Right now, the chances are that if you wouldn't recognize a Bodhisattva, of any sort, if one knocked you down and sat on you, so don't worry about it. Better to practice to gain the skillful means to know one when you see him or her or it. It'll be of greater benefit to beings to practice than to concern yourself with this ........ meeting.
    But, but, but, but, BUT... we are in a discussion forum! What else are we to do other than discuss, analyse, ponder, question? If we don't do that then there really is little point in us being here. Again, as I keep saying over and over, don't tell me what I am or am not doing, because you cannot know this - just discuss or don't discuss what is being said. Words have a role, they can be helpful, and what to you might be over-analysing might be to someone else over-simplistic and in need of expansion. Do you see what I mean?
  • Jeffrey said:

Also have you taken and do you follow the Bodhisattva vows?

I haven't, no.
  • Jeffrey said:

Realized Buddhisattvas do take their vows seriously. If you want to believe a turnip is a bodhisattva that is fine with me. I don't think that way, but feel free to do as you will!!!
    :thumbsup:

Turnip, no... Kale? Hell yeah.

• And I am NOT arrogant!
    LOL
    You humble guys . . . such fun . . .

Yours in humility (almost)
    ThePensum
  • lobster said:

Am I A Bodhisattva?
    No.

Good answer, but how do you know? That's what i'm interested in.
  • lobster said:

Am I A Bodhisattva?
    No.

You are not a bodhisattva, because you haven't taken the vows.
    The vows are everything that a bodhisattva is. It's a personal journey to enlightenment.
    The bodhisattva vows to help all beings to liberation as a skillful means to avoid spending aeons of delusion believing that nirvana is the enlightenment of a Buddha.
    That's my understanding right now. A Tibetan Buddhist can correct me.
  • robot said:

lobster said:

Am I A Bodhisattva?
    No.
    The vows are everything that a bodhisattva is. It's a personal journey to enlightenment.
    The bodhisattva vows to help all beings to liberation as a skillful means to avoid spending aeons of delusion believing that nirvana is the enlightenment of a Buddha.

Read up a few posts. I'm talking about something else, although I didn't make that clear in my OP.
  • lobster said:

Am I A Bodhisattva?
    No.

No because I know. :om:
    vinlynThePensum
  • robot said:

lobster said:

Am I A Bodhisattva?
    No.
    Read up a few posts. I'm talking about something else, although I didn't make that clear in my OP.

Talk about fairies, leprechauns, and witches. Whatever you want.
    If you don't know what it means to be a bodhisattva, why speculate about whether you might be one or not?
    lobsterEvenThird
  • Jason said:

and then wonder why I have that perception? :D

Do you think that the point I make is invalid? As I understand it, Buddhism is about our own minds. So, unless i'm wrong, your perceptions of me are caused by your mind, not my actions. Is that wrong? Even if I am consistently misinterpreted as so and so, that doesn't mean that I am, it just means that is how you (and others) perceive me, and the point of Buddhism is that we cannot trust our perceptions, as we are deluded and ignorant... or, at least, this is as I understand it. If i'm getting it wrong then correct me. I will admit that my study of Buddhism is narrow.
    Jason said:

Yes, and you're also responsible for your actions. And if your actions continually stir the pot, maybe that's worth reflecting on. Sure, maybe it is everyone else and not you. Maybe you're just getting between the cracks of spiritual comfort zones and exposing the bullshit, and we should all regard you as an absolute blessing as you say. But then again, maybe you're not the bodhisattva you think you are. Just something to consider, at any rate.

I'm not sure. I think it depends on the context. I don't enjoy that others get upset at me, and, in another context, i'd definitely change my actions. I would never speak like this at work with addicts, that is a given. But this is a different context. This is a Buddhism forum, and whilst my actions might stir the pot, as you put it, they shouldn't be judged on whether they stir the pot but on whether they are valid.

I do not think I am a Bodhisattva. That is not the point of that thread. I think you know this. Are you not stirring the pot by saying this?

edited December 2013
    For the record....I am trying to meet you....and I want you to meet
    me....that's the only way I can connect to/with you. Do you mean meet/know
    is just ..."Hi, my name is Chuck...dont ask nothing else"?
    ...... Just my style I guess.....I want to know a little more about
    how you 'be' in the world....then I can rap Dharma with you :)

You seem to be pushing the book at me...but not showing much
    compassion/concern/interest in what I got going on.

Are you responsible for that part?
    Of all the threads of mine....your absent. :(
    I need some love with my truth...just sayin'....
  • Vastmind said:

For the record....I am trying to meet you....and I want you to meet
    me....that's the only way I can connect to/with you. How do you suggest
    I do that? ...... Just my style I guess.....I want to know a little more about
    how you 'be' in the world....then I can rap Dharma with you :)

I live in the north-east of England. Are you close?
  • fivebells said:

@Jeffrey, I meant what I said. It doesn't mean most of us are bodhisattvas. Very few people actually have a genuine passion for enlightenment.

So there is other criterion than simply being bound by the kleshas? What you say is not true in the eyes of other sects. The arhant corresponds to 1st Bhumi of the bodhisattva path.

Along the Bodhisattva path the first bumhi is to have the kleshas all taken care of because you realize they are essenceless.

The rest of the bodhisattva path is to develop skills to help sentient beings.

That's fine if you have your own definition of a bodhisattva. I could define a cat as a being with six legs.
  • robot said:

robot said:

lobster said:

Am I A Bodhisattva?
    No.
    Talk about fairies, leprechauns, and witches. Whatever you want.
    If you don't know what it means to be a bodhisattva, why speculate about whether you might be one or not?

The thread is not about whether I am a Bodhisattva or not, but about how we would know one way or the other. I think that is clear in the OP and in the ensuing discussion. I am talking about a concept shared by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. I really think that is clear. There doesn't need to be any misunderstanding here. If there is then I apologise, but I think i've shared my thoughts very clearly in this thread.
    edited December 2013
    Oh...sorry I'm in the US....No holiday any time soon.
    I meant here. You would be surprised how heart filling of a
    connection you can make here...when you spend time and
    attention on others...then yourself.

I'm off...take care....and between you and me..... when it comes
    to Truth...you can show 'em better than you can tell 'em.

May you be well. :)

• Vastmind said:

Oh...sorry I'm in the US....No holiday any time soon.
    I meant here. You would be surprised how heart filling of a
    connection you can make here...when you spend time and
    attention on others...then yourself.

When I was younger and deeply in my shell, feeling very insecure and fearful at the start of my spiritual path, I spent a lot of time on the old MSN messenger and a few online chat rooms, and it was great for me at that time, and to some degree connections were made, but having now experienced both connecting online and connecting in person there is no comparison... for me, anyway. I think that's why I am the way I am here. You see, i'm not here to make friends or form connections (because of the above), but to just have quality discussions. I like the cut and thrust of debate. Maybe in a previous life I was one of those debating monks in Tibet. I like the logic, the rational process, and I can't stand how people use personal attacks on others when making their points. Not just on me, and not just on here, but so often in life. It's horrible! I get so much grief here from people, and yet i've never judged or attacked anyone... not once! I wouldn't. I just discuss hard. No mercy. If people don't like that then all they need to do is ignore me, but for those who enjoy strong discussion then i'm your man! Anyway, PM if you want.
    edited December 2013
    As most will testify here....I don't do PM's.
    I'm a group kind of gal.....hahaha

But, now that you've explained your conditioning/experience...It
    helps me to understand your approach to us....Thank-you for that.
    From my own experience here....I think the admins are going for
    a community vibe...not a discussion shoot off...with no mercy.
    We kinda like mercy around here....
    MaryAnne
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Depends. Do you really, like really, want to get enlightenment and save all beings from suffering? If yes, then yes. If not, then no!
    Jason said:

Reminds me something the zen teacher said. :D
    If you do together action, your good and bad actions already help other people.

It's like washing potatoes. When people wash potatoes in Korea, instead of washing them one at a time, they put them all in a tub full of water. Then someone puts a stick in the tub and pushes it up and down, up and down. This makes the potatoes rub against each other; as they bump into each other, the hard crusty dirt falls off. If you wash potatoes one at a time, it takes a long time to clean each one, and only one potato gets clean at a time. If they are all together, many potatoes clean each other.

Sometimes you bump into other people. But soon you see you are only bumping into your own karma.
    lobster