Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Vegetarianism valid?

I read a study that showed that plants, just like animals, demonstrate sentient behavior. So, does this make vegetarianism unnecessary? Or does this even prove the sentience of plants at all? Your thoughts please.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Does it really matter. If you choose to be a vegetarian fine. If animals and plants are out, what are you going to eat? Rocks?
    JainarayanKundoInvincible_summer
  • vinlyn said:

Does it really matter. If you choose to be a vegetarian fine. If animals and plants are out, what are you going to eat? Rocks?

I didn't mean that. I just though if plants were sentient beings you could eat whatever.
    Ah, I see. Sort of a reverse way of looking at it. Cool. Intriguing question.
  • vinlyn said:

Actually I hear red Georgia clay has lots of vitamins and minerals in it. Quite nutritious. :D
    cvalue
  • I read a study that showed that plants, just like animals, demonstrate sentient behavior. So, does this make vegetarianism unnecessary? Or does this even prove the sentience of plants at all? Your thoughts please.

Jains won't eat any root vegetables, cabbages, lettuce or any plant that harvesting it would kill the plant. No potatoes, carrots, peanuts, radishes, broccoli, asparagus, and the list goes on. Only fruits and vegetables that can be harvested from the plant without killing it... cucumbers, squashes, beans, etc.
    Ethan_McCuneInvincible_summer
  • Our hairs and nails are plants too. Are they hurt or frightened and try to escape when we cut (or kill) them?
  • cvalue said:

Our hairs and nails are plants too. Are they hurt or frightened and try to escape when we cut (or kill) them?

Explain?
  • Jayantha said:

No matter whay we eat beings die.

Someone told me once that living itself is killing. I think it was here about guilt over my new leather jacket (I've gotten over it and love the jacket).

vinlyn
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran

I read a study that showed that plants, just like animals, demonstrate sentient behavior.

Reference please. Crystals and computers exhibit some of the properties of life, but not enough to interestingly call them sentient beings. My cut off is what has a nervous system.

cvalueEthan_McCune
  • Jains eat the babies of sentient plants . . . [lobster faints]
    Have these religious nut jobs no sense of propriety?

As crustaceans we are taught that fish are a form of evolved seaweed. How wonderful.
    HamsakaTosh
  • I read a study that showed that plants, just like animals, demonstrate sentient behavior.

Reference please. Crystals and computers exhibit some of the properties of life, but not enough to interestingly call them sentient beings. My cut off is what has a nervous system.

I'll have to do that when I get home to the laptop where I have the link, but I will post it.
  • I read a study that showed that plants, just like animals, demonstrate sentient behavior. So, does this make vegetarianism unnecessary? Or does this even prove the sentience of plants at all? Your thoughts please.

I'd take another look at that study, if I were you. Beyond that, all sorts of sci-fi stories have postulated plant intelligence. Mostly the biology involved is sort of hand-waved or depends on psychic powers, etc.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

vinlyn said:

I didn't mean that. I just though if plants were sentient beings you could eat whatever.
    Plants are alive but they have no brains so I doubt they suffer from the illusion of separation like we do meaning they likely are not self aware.

Just my opinion but I think if plants have a self, it includes the entirety of the universe.
    Ethan_McCuneperson
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Buddhists do consider plant life a lower form of life, its not sentient, but monks are not supposed to cut down trees or plants. There is no such issue with the laity doing it though.
    Ethan_McCune
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I read a study that showed that plants, just like animals, demonstrate sentient behavior.

I think plants would more be a part of a kind of nervous system rather than having their own.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Tongue in cheek, my cut off is if *it* can fear I will eat it and tries to run away.

Thanissaro Bikkhu makes a good point, that this realm of existence we are living in now is one where we must eat each other to live. Not just chewing each other up and swallowing the flesh, but we 'eat' each other emotionally and mentally as well. We 'consume' another person's time and energy when we ask them for advice, and we 'feed' others when we give it.

In Lobster's line of thinking, we birth energy or thought 'offspring' and give them to other people to eat. All I have to say about that is it's a good thing to not take too literally, else there would be unending angry admonishments to CLEAN YOUR PLATE. I don't want to see my kids' legs go in the trash just because you only like the soft parts, you know?

This is why it's exhausting taking care of someone who is physically ill or psychologically needy. You are feeding them, they are feeding from you.

In a weird way, I like feeding myself to other people but only when I WANT TO. Under controlled circumstances, thank you very much. When my energy is low, I don't want to go giving what's left to other people. Especially when they might not clean their plate!

More from Thanissaro Bikkhu (my personal unpacking, but I'm pretty sure he is saying this explicitely); in embodying the Brahmaviharas, in 'taming' the mind via concentration meditation to experience jhanic states, and growing in wisdom via vipassana meditation, we learn to 'feed' ourselves directly, and thus decrease our need to 'feed' on others.
    Ethan_McCuneEvenThird
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    OK you're gonna die of quest starvation if you continue this kind of thought process, and conclude - well whatever it leads you to concluder; live the illusion (it's fun), but don't become deluded and guess what there is nothing that says you'll be reborn as a carrot if you break some silly buddhist precept - well someone will have some silly sutra excerpt tucked away in their lettuce leaves, to bring me down in a shower of football sized hazelnuts.
    Ethan_McCune
  • anataman said:

OK you're gonna die of quest starvation if you continue this kind of thought process, and conclude - well whatever it leads you to concluder; live the illusion (it's fun), but don't become deluded and guess what there is nothing that says you'll be reborn as a carrot if you break some silly buddhist precept - well someone will have some silly sutra excerpt tucked away in their lettuce leaves, to bring me down in a shower of football sized hazelnuts.

I didn't mean it as to keep the precepts, I just want to make sure to hurt as little sentient life as possible. It's not about merit and karma anymore, it's about trying not to hurt anyone.
    Precepts are just general rules. Strictly tie yourself down with them and your freedom is bound. Have you explored Jainism. I have and she was a real beauty. In my first year at university I lived next door to a Jain, she was absolutely stunning, and I nearly Proposed to her one night. Basically there was no physical contact, but she was bright as a button. But she found medicine too difficult to practice and left at the end of the first year to go and study law. That's not a joke.

It's also no joke that I ended up meeting and marrying a stunning lawyer, who also wanted to study medicine but felt incapable of dealing with the suffering. She now works in the domain of Employment law, discrimination, LGTS alliances and whistleblowing. Who says lawyers are all blood-sucking leeches, some want to help. Nelson Mandela was of that ilk, bless him.

Oh where was I? How did I get on this soap box?

Jainism - take a look at it and see if you can live your life in that way.
    Jeongjwa
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think the core Buddhist principle here is to try your best to reduce the amount of harm you do in the world. All kinds of animal and plant life dies in the production and consumption of food, so unless you're a highly accomplished yogi that can live off of air and sunlight :om: you'll inevitably cause some harm in order to stay alive. But as @seeker242 pointed out, raising animals requires many calories of vegetation per calorie of meat, so reducing or cutting out entirely your meat consumption reduces the amount of harm your life causes.
    anatamankarastiHamsaka
    Anyone wanna go out for a granite burger?
    Invincible_summerEthan_McCuneanataman
    edited February 2014
    Intracellular organelles communicate with each other via chemical. So by this reasoning every cell on the body is sentient-- by scratching your elbow you are killing untold millions of sentient beings. The author didn't operationalize "realization," so I can't address that because unoperationalized-- it means what ever you want it to mean until it gets operationalized-- a bag realizes it has 4 rocks in it after you drop 2 rocks and 2 more rocks into it-- or maybe not, some feats of information processing and representation can be done quite well with something as dumb as, well, rocks.

I'm calling this an insincere zinger. It's an argument where the person who posed it, isn't suggesting we follow through with the consequences, the author really isn't promoting Jainism (as mentioned in posts above, the most radical form of ahimsa)-- this is promoting complacency, status quo-- notice the author equated eating carrots and chicken-- so hey, they're morally equivalent right? So might as well eat the tasty chicken because it's on sale at Safeway and it's too inconvenient to change habits.

Another example of an insincere zinger is "well, harvesting grains kills numerous mice, while cattle raising and slaughtering is comparatively few"-- this is normally put forward as an anti-vegetarian argument, an attempt at reducio ad absurdum since the sort of person who raises these gripes isn't going to follow through and eat only whales and elephants (and minimize the # of animals killed)-- the goal is to get the opposing side to say, "oh gee, trying to save the animals is futile, so lets just enjoy eating them"

And on the tangent of field mice, one of the minor precepts in the Brahma Net Sutra is to not do controlled burns of agricultural fields except when field mice and the like are least likely to be out and about.

Ethan_McCuneTheEccentric
  • @person:
    I think the core Buddhist principle here is to try your best to reduce the amount of harm you do in the world. All kinds of animal and plant life dies in the production and consumption of food, so unless you're a highly accomplished yogi that can live off of air and sunlight you'll inevitably cause some harm in order to stay alive. But as @seeker242 pointed out, raising animals requires many calories of vegetation per calorie of meat, so reducing or cutting out entirely your meat consumption reduces the amount of harm your life causes.
    Morality put aside, it's my body that prefers a plant-based diet. Higher energy levels, better endurance and recovery after workouts, no digestive issues and skin problems and overall excellent health are all valid enough reasons.
    lobsterpersonmatthewmartinInvincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I read a study that showed that plants, just like animals, demonstrate sentient behavior. So, does this make vegetarianism unnecessary? Or does this even prove the sentience of plants at all? Your thoughts please.

In terms of basic biology I think it's about the capacity to feel pain, which is clear in animals but not atall clear in the case of plants.
    matthewmartinEthan_McCunecvalueTheEccentric
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Another example of an insincere zinger is "well, harvesting grains kills numerous mice, while cattle raising and slaughtering is comparatively few"-- this is normally put forward as an anti-vegetarian argument,

Which isn't actually true anyway when you actually do the math. Some people have done the math and came up with this:

Number of Animals Killed to Produce One Million Calories in Eight Food Categories

Chicken = 251.1
    Eggs = 92.3
    Beef - 29
    Pork = 18.1
    Milk = 4.78
    Vegetables = 2.55
    Fruits = 1.73
    Grains = 1.65

http://www.animalvisuals.org/projects/data/1mc/

matthewmartinEthan_McCunecvaluepommesetoranges
    I've got some great recipes do you think we should start a Vege/Vegan recipe thread. Then if people try them just once perhaps that will reduce the suffering in the world just a fraction. If they like them and use the recipes again wow just another fraction but 2 small fractions are greater than no fractions.
    Ethan_McCunecvaluepommesetoranges
    seeker242 said:

Number of Animals Killed to Produce One Million Calories in Eight Food Categories
    http://www.animalvisuals.org/projects/data/1mc/

Exactly! The clearest demonstration yet that we are in a situation of harm minimization, not a situation of harm elimination. It occurs to me that the other 4 precepts can have a similar property (we speak sentence that we are 75% confident that they are true, we reduce the amount of intoxicants to a trivial amount, we know that to start a personal relationship that involves sex some percent of the time is going to go horribly awry and result in psychic pain for someone one)
  • anataman said:

I've got some great recipes do you think we should start a Vege/Vegan recipe thread. Then if people try them just once perhaps that will reduce the suffering in the world just a fraction. If they like them and use the recipes again wow just another fraction but 2 small fractions are greater than no fractions.

No joke, this is a great idea! Will you post some recipes? :)

Which 'study'?

anataman said:

Well as I have got 3 votes - I will commit myself to providing you with healthy alternatives to meat based meals - I so love cooking! Thank you...
    Ethan_McCune
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2014

Of course it's valid. For one, even if plants are sentient (which is something I'm skeptical of and I'd like to see this study), it can be argued that their level of sentience is rudimentary compared to animals and insects, lacking nervous systems, it's conceivable that plants don't feel pain or suffer the way that animals do. In addition, there are degrees to everything; and here, one could make the argument that not eating animals can be a more compassionate and less harmful option than eating them.

That said, even though I think vegetarianism is valid, it's not a requirement. And simply abstaining from eating meat doesn't free one from the web of killing and death. Assuming plants aren't sentient, the cultivation and harvesting of crops still directly and indirectly leads to the death of numerous animals and insects. I think being more socially active in our respective practices is an admirable thing to do, but the best that can do is limit the potential harm to other sentient beings. In his introduction to The Four Nutriments of Life: An Anthology of Buddhist Texts, Nyanaponika Thera echoes:
    If we wish to eat and live, we have to kill or tacitly accept that others do the killing for us. When speaking of the latter, we do not refer merely to the butcher or the fisherman. Also for the strict vegetarian's sake, living beings have to die under the farmer's plowshare, and his lettuce and other vegetables have to be kept free of snails and other "pests," at the expense of these living beings who, like ourselves, are in search of food. A growing population's need for more arable land deprives animals of their living space and, in the course of history, has eliminated many a species. It is a world of killing in which we live and have a part. We should face this horrible fact and remain aware of it in our Reflection on Edible Food. It will stir us to effort for getting out of this murderous world by the ending of craving for the four nutriments.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited February 2014
    Vegetarianism is indesputably valid. People should eat whatever they want.
    Others should get involved only when the food is threatened, like with shark fins and some types of caviar, for example. That's my opinion.
    But I wonder, does the sentience of a species mean that it clings to self like we do?
    Buddhists here are forever discussing the absence of, or the clinging to, an illusory self.
    What is it that we are robbing an animal of when we kill it?
    Or is it all about the suffering whether there is actually a self that retains a memory of it or not?
    Or is it more about the uncompassionate and insensitive attitude that one must have in order to mercilessly kill creatures to eat? That is the issue for me, as a killer, at this point.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

That's one bitch of a Koan for a Buddhist fisherman.
    robot
    edited February 2014
    robot said:

Buddhists here are forever discussing the absence of, or the clinging to, an illusory self.

The self does exist as one might naively think so (or more specifically as was commonly thought 400BC in Magada India)-- we don't exist as a fixed eternal soul that with a little scrubbing via austeries will reveal an enteral, fixed, wonderful atman that may have a link to everything else via a so-called brahma (the universal shared soul).

Instead, we are wagons that can be disassembled without a single part that is us, at least not in the sense of that eternal Hindu-style soul. At after dissembling the wagon, we look at what's left in front of us-- nothing! Sunyata! And then we erroneously conclude that nothing exists and reality is something preposterous like thoughts without a thinker.

But if we look behind us, we see that those wagon parts is all we are and all we ever were. We always were something, just not that fixed immortal soul. So cows now exist again, as maybe not so clever, but real creatures that fear death and predators.

When we kill and deprive a sentient being of it's flowing blood, bones, brains and a beating heart, we take away everything from them. Now they are nothing in the mundane, dictionary sense. (In the orthodox sense, they continue as a cause and effect where some future being will be punished or rewarded for actions they have no memory of, but that is another tangent, another thread.)

Anyhow, if sunyata means no one exists, or that conceptually everything is non-dual** so there is no difference between the living and the dead, then 1st precept is bunk, 2nd precept is bunk (you don't own those calories represented in your flesh right?) And a Buddhism without an moral compass is intuitively unsatisfying.

** some of the versions of sunyata posit that not only does everything change across time, creating a temporal goo of one thing squishing into the next, but that everything is conceptual goo in space-- that the difference between you and me is less distinct than we naively imagine and then people apply that to abstractions and suddenly there is no difference between the living and the dead, the animate or the inanimate, no difference between good or evil, right or wrong, skillful or unskillful, it's all undifferentiated conceptual goo. The idea, for me works for social relations (very profound that people are rather similar), is unnecessary for physics and chemistry (science works fine, thanks) and is antinomian or absurd when applied to the abstract.

cvalue said:

Our hairs and nails are plants too.

You have tulips instead of hair?! :p
    cvalue
  • @matthewmartin
    Thanks for that.
    Why must we separate ourselves from the rest of the life on earth in order to arrive where we have always been?
    All of nature has evolved to use the food available in the local habitat.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/healthy-oceans-blog/2012/10/-pacific-underwater-salmon-dont-grow-on-trees-but-trees-grow-on-salmon/

As wayfarers can't we continue to do that in an enlightened manner?
    I'm working on a new angle for justifying my livelyhood.
    robot said:

Sure, but we aren't cavemen* now, and most of us have a choice of food products available at the local supermarket.

* sorry, I should have said "cavepersons" but it doesn't sound right. :p
    Invincible_summer
    edited February 2014
    robot said:

@matthewmartin
    Thanks for that.
    Why must we separate ourselves from the rest of the life on earth in order to arrive where we have always been?

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/healthy-oceans-blog/2012/10/-pacific-underwater-salmon-dont-grow-on-trees-but-trees-grow-on-salmon/

As wayfarers can't we continue to do that in an enlightened manner?
    I'm working on a new angle for justifying my livelyhood.

re: natural order of things
    That's a very un-buddhisty thought. Maybe a perfectly fine wiccan one, but not Buddhist. There isn't an essential nature to anything. The ecosystem is just one of many ways the bits and pieces of the world could have been arranged.

re: evolution
    Evolution as an abstract process has no goal-- genes exist solely to reproduce. Plants don't exist for me to eat them-- the have no goal (aside from a biochemical imperative to reproduce or become irrelevant), animals don't exist for anyone else, they exist for what ever existential project they create for themselves and and that biochemical imperative to survive and reproduce.

re: livelihood
    I work in the military-industrial complex-- it's a very un-Buddhisty job. I think there are two reasonably good rationalizations for being a rancher or working in the military-- #1 the world can't possibly be any other way-- unilateral pacifism hasn't worked in the past, it would lead to untold misery of another sort. #2 Everyone has to start somewhere-- no one is enlightened and maximally ethical on day one. I read a thread about a recent convert who worked as a pest exterminator-- it's unfair to ask him to reduce himself to poverty, better to work on other issues. Personally, I'm confident that Buddhism works and to have an enlighten manner is to be on a path that leads to a sense of compassion that has real consequences for personal decisions. Better for people to take their time and start with what is possible than to never start the path at all.

re: Salmon
    If the salmon have taken the Bodhisattva vows and are altruistically giving up their bodies for the welfare and enlightenment of humans and the denizens of the forest, then maybe. But those salmon are thinking about executing their instinctive goal of eating, spawning-- they don't have the means to practice Buddhism or cross species altruism, to imagine so is rather self serving.

That said, salmon, which are harvested just before they were planning to keel over and die anyhow, are one of the edge cases of vegetarianism, where you are consuming a creature that is either already dead or on deaths door step anyhow. (Road kill and cows dying of old age would fall in the same edge case) i.e. the main questions would be about health, not so much about the ethics of killing.

robot
  • Michael Pollan writes well and recently about plant intelligence:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/12/23/131223fa_fact_pollan?currentPage=all

A quote (though not my takeaway from the article):

"Unprepared to consider the ethical implications of plant intelligence, I could feel my resistance to the whole idea stiffen. Descartes, who believed that only humans possessed self-consciousness, was unable to credit the idea that other animals could suffer from pain. So he dismissed their screams and howls as mere reflexes, as meaningless physiological noise. Could it be remotely possible that we are now making the same mistake with plants? That the perfume of jasmine or basil, or the scent of freshly mowed grass, so sweet to us, is (as the ecologist Jack Schultz likes to say) the chemical equivalent of a scream? "
  • @Nele, I tested it with my hairs and nails and they don't hurt. Scientists know what cause pain, that's why they are able to invent pain killers.

But even it's remotely possible that plants can feel pain. It's the intention that counts. We intent to cause the least possible sufferings. I wonder what is the purpose of this debate? There is no need to justify why people eat meat. It's legal under the law.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Well, most of the time pain killers don't really do anything for the cause of the pain itself they just block the brain from realizing there is a pain sensation going on. They do have a minor effect on inflammation, but inflammation serves a purpose and more and more they are finding that reducing inflammation might reduce pain (for injuries specifically) but it might also slow healing time. Inflammation is a response designed to protect the body. ANYHOW, sorry to be off topic. Back to plants, lol.

I think there is more to plants that meets the eye. The fact that they are simply reacting in some sensory way to a stimulation doesn't lesson it much for me. Babies do the same thing. We don't undermine they just because they don't understand why their automatic reactions to things. Because plants can't communicate with us we don't know for sure if they feel pain. We only know how to judge pain on the level we experience it. It's just like how we limit ourselves to looking for life on other planets because living beings here require certain things. Why do we limit ourselves to our type of life when it's quite possible that there are beings who live in far reaches of the universe that don't rely on water or oxygen? Just because we experience something here in a certain way doesn't mean other beings can't experience things differently that we can't measure with our understanding that we limit by comparing it to ourselves. Who knows what science will bring us in the future.

It's interesting to read about and discuss, but people must still eat. It's not like we can start eating rocks (and if you follow TNH he will tell you even minerals are precious...which they are but I won't starve my children to save a rock. Neither would most people, I think. Then what will we eat? Soylent Green?
    cvalue
    cvalue said:

It's the intention that counts. We intent to cause the least possible sufferings.

Yes, I think that's the important point. We all make choices.
    cvalue