Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Zen nonsense?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited January 2016 in Buddhism Basics

The importance of nonsense hardly can be overstated. The more clearly we experience something as 'nonsense,' the more clearly we are experiencing the boundaries of our self-imposed cognitive structures. 'Nonsense' is that which does not fit into the prearranged patterns which we have superimposed on reality. There is no such thing as 'nonsense' apart from a judgemental intellect which calls it that.
http://zennist.typepad.com/zenfiles/2016/01/is-zen-nonsense.html

Can it be true? [lobster faints and dials for a white van)

Now that I have joined the righteous Theravada school of Dharma (Buddha be praised), will I have to take up critical thinking?

For example I don't even know the difference between kenosis and emptiness.

Emptiness and kenosis comparison
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha135.htm

Emptiness is not awakening, tsk tsk. Back to the beginners class for lobster.
http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/emptiness-in-theravada-buddhism/

Should I take up knitting instead, or is that just nonsense?

silverCinorjer

Comments

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Diamond Sutra
    Chapter 31.

"Subhuti, when people begin their practice of seeking to attaining total Enlightenment, they ought to see, to perceive, to know, to understand, and to realize that all things and all spiritual truths are no-things, and, therefore, they ought not to conceive within their minds any arbitrary conceptions whatsoever."

Are "nonsense" and "not-nonsense" arbitrary conceptions?

arbitrary: adjective
    subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion.

conception: noun
    a notion; idea; concept :

Seems like it fits! :)

CinorjerShoshin
  • Just a warning guys:

Nonsense and crazy wisdom do not equate with gibbering and mental health issues. I would suggest they are skilfull means in the hands of the zeniths and saintly dharma loons.

We might consider conventional sanity as wasteful, ignorant and suffering intensive and that is where most of need to ground ourself in ...

This Middle Way sure is confusing this cructacean ... :dizzy:

Cinorjer
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited January 2016

Is zen nonsense?
    1). Yes.
    2). No.
    3). Knitting.
    4). Zen is a word.
    5). All of the above.
    6). None of the above.

I just mean that when you're dreaming, it doesn't really matter what is nonsense and what is not.
    In dream world, it's whatever floats your boat. Zen just points out that dream. Zen, itself, is still of the dream.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2016

Is Zen nonsense?

Zen is whatever Zen wants to be or not to be...That is the question...(and I guess answer too) :wink:

Cinorjer
  • Mu!

CinorjerShoshin
  • @Cinorjer said:
    Hee. Zen is non-sense of course. Except for when it's not.

To say something "makes sense" is to say it fits into our predictions of how the world and people in it should behave. It's the old definition of sense as "what is reasonable".

<3

Being unreasonable in reasonable quantities [lobster puts up guilty claw] is part of my nonsense, nothing too zen there.

Part of the value of aware discordance is to short circuit our usual modes of ignorance.
    http://www.zengardner.com/wisdom-dr-seuss/

Cinorjer
  • techietechie India Veteran

As rational creatures, we use 'logic' to make sense of life. That doesn't mean life is logical. Life is not logical or illogical, as these things only apply to beings with will and desire. Life is life.

Cinorjerrohit
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

EVERYTHING is non-sense. Just as everything is Sense.

Cinorjer
  • Isn't it wonderful?

Eh ma ho ... as I might have said if Tibetan ...

That Ajahn Chah sure is the Dharma ChahChahCha ...

No dancing amongst the precept keepers ...

CinorjerKale4Dayz
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Cinorjer said:> The Thai Forest tradition is about as far from Zen as you can get, yet at its core is the same paradox as Zen teaches.

The Thai Forest is actually very close to Zen in approach, with a strong emphasis on here-and-now practice. Ajahn Chah was very Zen, he also talked regularly about embracing uncertainty, basically the same as don't-know mind in Zen.

Cinorjer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2016

@lobster said: Now that I have joined the righteous Theravada school of Dharma (Buddha be praised), will I have to take up critical thinking?

Still sect-bashing? Your sarcasm is most unappealing.

• @seeker242 With that Diamond Sutra quote, you've reminded me that I'm a rank beginner. There are several advanced sutras I need to study with a qualified teacher, in order to make sense of them and progress. Thanks for the reminder.

• @SpinyNorman said:

@lobster said: Now that I have joined the righteous Theravada school of Dharma (Buddha be praised), will I have to take up critical thinking?

Still sect-bashing? Your sarcasm is most unappealing.

Take a couple of liters of ice cream, Spiny, and chill. The lobster is just being the lobster. O.o
    The last time I heard one of the Zen "masters" answered the question,"What is enlightenment" with "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" My one-handed friend got a mite testy. >:);)

As for the question, " Is Zen nonsense?", I will not throw my lit match into that dry grass.

Have fun, y'all.

Cinorjerlobster