Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Food as medicine - how to eat

2»

Comments

• @mMirco I have reported your zip file to the moderators (I do not open zip files from unknown or even some known sources). Nothing personal, just a security thing. <3

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I haven't eaten ice-cream for a couple of months but expect to fall off the wagon again soon. :p

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

An Italian friend of mine has a bistrot in Alsace and makes the most delicious organic ice-creams I have ever eaten: fior di latte, almonds, dark chocolate...
    It would leave one of our spiny members licking his lips for weeks...

karasti

@DhammaDragon said:
    An Italian friend of mine has a bistrot in Alsace and makes the most delicious organic ice-creams I have ever eaten: fior di latte, almonds, dark chocolate...
    It would leave one of our spiny members licking his lips for weeks...

Wicked temptress! :p

Buddhadragonkarastilobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Let's see, i would add...

Yerba Maté tea: this is South American, they drink it by the gallon and it aids digestion and weight loss as well as having a lovely chewy flavour

Almonds: the least fatty and carbohydrate rich of the nuts, its healthy and delicious especially when blanched and roasted

Eggs for breakfast: another weight loss tip, eating 30g of protein within 30 min of getting up puts your digestive system into weight loss mode, and eggs are a great way to do this

I'm also a fan of avocado, postelijn (not sure if you can get that outside of this corner of Europe), spinach, red beets, dark chocolate.

And moderation, it's well known that people who eat in moderation live longer and more healthy lives. Still working on this one, sometimes I succeed and sometimes not!

• mMircomMirco Europe/Berlin New
    edited November 2016

If you drink Maté tea by the gallon, it won'T take long and you can count a coffein addiction your own =D.

• Turmeric
    Chillie
    Cinnamon
    Black pepper
    Bacopla
    Kombucha
    Macca

LIVING foods - eat of life.

@Kerome said:

>

Yerba Maté tea: this is South American, they drink it by the gallon and it aids digestion and weight loss as well as having a lovely chewy flavour

I come from Argentina so, yes, we drink plenty of yerba mate...
    Matcha green tea is the beverage with the highest coffeine content, @mMirco, yet is chock full with antioxidants and minerals.
    As is yerba mate

• @DhammaDragon said:

I come from Argentina so, yes, we drink plenty of yerba mate...

I love Yerba Mate and have been drinking it for many years - about to have a cup now. I guess like coffee technically it is an intoxicant!

How about Damianna? I drink that too. Yum Yum.

Mate is not an intoxicant, just a beverage.
    A person drinking tea all day -as many English friends do- will end up with the same amount of coffeine in their bodies as someone drinking from the mate gourd, @thickpaper

• @DhammaDragon said:
    A person drinking tea all day -as many English friends do- will end up with the same amount of coffeine in their bodies as someone drinking from the mate gourd, @thickpaper

I was talking from a point of view of Buddhism. It is an intoxicant in that sense, like coffeee and tea.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@mMirco said:

@lobster said:

Any tips for 'food as medicine' you would like to share?

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual

Sorry, file deleted. Please either present it in acceptable form (I tried opening it - the file is 'incompatible') or let me know how big it is....as long as it is not commercial.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2016

@Kerome said:

Eggs for breakfast: another weight loss tip, eating 30g of protein within 30 min of getting up puts your digestive system into weight loss mode, and eggs are a great way to do this

I'm also a fan of avocado, postelijn (not sure if you can get that outside of this corner of Europe), spinach, red beets, dark chocolate.

Very interesting about the breakfast tip. However, 30 g of protein is quite a lot, more than just 2 or 3 eggs. What do you do for the rest of the 30 grams?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Yeah you'd need like 4-5 eggs to get 30g of protein. You can always add some cheese to them. One of my favorites is poached eggs in little (oh they have a special name i can't recall) ceramic dishes. I put some spinach in the bottom, then the egg, then sprinkle some cheese on top and cook them in the pressure cooker. Or poached eggs over asparagus. YUM.

That said, what is healing for one can be not so good for someone else. Which is why blanket suggestions of "this is the best diet plan ever!" never work for everyone. Also why one study will show coffee/eggs/chocolate/wine are good for us but another shows the opposite. A lot of it just has to do with individual makeup. It's on each of us to find out what works and what doesn't for our bodies.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

postelijn = Purslane. Yep, we can get it here.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

The "weed"? Interesting, I will have to look into that. Is it the leaves you eat? Or the whole plant? It grows like crazy here, and we are forever pulling it from our driveway cement cracks.

@DhammaDragon said:

Cockneys leave the bleedin' tea bag in and get over-stimerlated. :p

You might be interested in one of Jesse's diets....

A couple of years ago, I decided to replace butter for vegan almond and cashew spreads.
    They are extremely yummy and one cuts down at least 200 calories from one's breakfast.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    A couple of years ago, I decided to replace butter for vegan almond and cashew spreads.
    They are extremely yummy and one cuts down at least 200 calories from one's breakfast.

That's a lot of butter you are replacing though... I was surprised and had to take a look, weight for weight their calorie values aren't that different, according to thecaloriecounter.com, about 36 cals per 5g serving for butter and 33 cals for almond butter.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

This morning, I woke up thinking about how to make one's own V-8 juice.
    Here's what I found after googling:
    http://www.farmgirlfare.com/2008/10/less-fuss-more-flavor-homemade-tomato.html

Oh well, I'd have to be a farmer to afford that many tomatoes! O.o

@DhammaDragon said:

I calculated it per 100 gr: butter has about 800 calories, while vegan spreads have 608 tops

• This came through today: Vegan 'bone' broth: http://foodandspice.blogspot.com/2016/11/vegan-bone-broth.html

Comes from Lisa's Kitchen regular email.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited November 2016

Well gosh, I discovered this fellow on yt a week or so ago. He lost 150 pounds in a year or so...He's basically a keto diet and intermittent fasting sort of dude. I like what he has to say: