Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

we, you, they, one ... a thread where such are banned

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

As @federica counts herself as a grammar maven, so I count myself as someone who would prefer to hear a NewBuddhist's honest opinion of any given topic. I don't require a lending-library litany of books the opinionizer may have read ... JUST SPIT IT OUT and stop worrying.

Stop saying "we" and say "I." Stop saying "you" and just say "I." Stop saying "they" and "one" and just give me your best take, deepest worry, most heart-felt laugh. Stop covering your ass and it will encourage me to stop covering mine. From where I sit, Buddhism is about getting UN-dressed ... unless money needs to be raised for bureaucratic purposes. Being "right" is not part of the equation. Applause is not the point. I love it when you tell me about your life, not your smarts.

Or anyway, I think so.

I now relinquish the soap box. :)

BuddhadragonHozanFosdickpersonlobster

Comments

  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    I doubt I am skillful at covering my ass...
    Right Speech forbid....
    I agree with your suggestion, @genkaku ❤️

    Hozan
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @genkaku said:
    As @federica counts herself as a grammar maven, so I count myself as someone who would prefer to hear a NewBuddhist's honest opinion of any given topic. I don't require a lending-library litany of books the opinionizer may have read ... JUST SPIT IT OUT and stop worrying.

    Stop saying "we" and say "I." Stop saying "you" and just say "I." Stop saying "they" and "one" and just give me your best take, deepest worry, most heart-felt laugh. Stop covering your ass and it will encourage me to stop covering mine. From where I sit, Buddhism is about getting UN-dressed ... unless money needs to be raised for bureaucratic purposes. Being "right" is not part of the equation. Applause is not the point. I love it when you tell me about your life, not your smarts.

    Or anyway, I think so.

    I now relinquish the soap box. :)

    That's really what 'General Banter' sub-forum and the 'Random Useless Announcements' thread are for.
    If you want to start a thread of that ilk, feel free.
    But the same parameters of common courtesy, polite discussion and positive dialogue and conversation apply.

    I'm not personally about to give all and sundry a free rein and an excuse to let rip, let their guards down and consider themselves safe from Moderation, simply because the thread is apparently a free-for-all.

    @Linc may feel differently of course, I merely speak for myself.
    But tell me, @genkaku , where would you draw the line?

  • HozanHozan Veteran

    I hear what you are saying @genkaku and I know what you mean. Respect was already implied in what you said. Gassho.

    lobsterBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @genkaku, I did get what you meant by the way... Inverted commas and so on all over the place... It's an irritation, I know.... Not a bannable offence of course... But I wouldn't want anyone to think I won't be just as vigilant on other matters too.

  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    edited December 3

    I think we read the same thing in different ways @federica.

    I read it as a polite reminder to post with honesty and from experience, not what others want to hear, third hand or heresay. You can build better relationships with people who are themselves with character and personality than a forum of same old people. I think we have a good balance here.

  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    @Lee82 said:
    I read it as a polite reminder to post with honesty and from experience, not what others want to hear, third hand or heresay.

    That's what I read too...

    Hozan
  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    Well this is a fine to-do...! :D Perhaps we might need our good friend @genkaku to clarify...!

    Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 4

    An empty soap box, means the mouth has been right speech rinsed and ready to spit bubbles ...
    Wait it can be done au naturale ...

    I think I gone wrong again :3

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    (Wouldn't be the first time - for either of us, @lobster dearest....!)

  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

    @federica -- Not sure exactly what needs clarifying, but I'm willing to try. This is just a pet peeve/koan of sorts for me: On the one hand, human beings are social creatures who love to cuddle; on the other, cuddling never answered a serious question ... soooo?

    Eg.
    Once, after an evening's meditation, a group of Zennies were sitting in a coffee shop near the zendo, chatting idly after a couple of hours of give-or-take-silence. There were five or six or us and we hit, playfully, on the question, "what do you want to be when you grow up." There were the de rigueur answers like "enlightenment" until it came around to a 40-ish woman who thought a moment and then said,

    "When I grow up, I want to be
    a rich,
    sexy,
    saint."

    Always loved that answer.

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    Ok, I think (late to the table) I get it.
    You don't want "Thus have I heard" you want "well here's what I think, folks"
    You don't want "According to the whateveritis-sutta" you want "The way I see it..."
    You don't want "It's not a view I actually subscribe to" you want "well sorry, but that's bullshit"....

    Am I getting there? Pass the butter...

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    As long as I am correct, then obviously, I'm on board. I just want it to develop into a cookie-fest rather than descending into a bun-fight.

    Kundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

    @federica said:
    As long as I am correct, then obviously, I'm on board. I just want it to develop into a cookie-fest rather than descending into a bun-fight.

    People hear what they want to hear. It's human nature. Bun fights are inevitable...

  • federicafederica seeker of the clear blue sky Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

    @Kundo said:

    @federica said:
    As long as I am correct, then obviously, I'm on board. I just want it to develop into a cookie-fest rather than descending into a bun-fight.

    People hear what they want to hear. It's human nature. Bun fights are inevitable...

    Not on my watch they ain't...

    FosdickKundo
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

    The only part I don't get from your thread, @genkaku, is...

    Do you want us to post comments "from experience" in this thread, or is it a suggestion you are putting forth for all posts and threads to come in the future?

    In my opinion, most people intersperse a "me outlook" with some "thus have I heard" support in all threads and posts up to now.

    In some cases, sutta or whatever source is necessary to better illustrate a point.

    KundoHozan
Sign In or Register to comment.