Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Tattoos

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    crazy-tattoo_1822.jpg
    edited August 2010
    BTW, when I say Deep tattoo I meant as in "I'm Deep" like all philosophical and shi-sugar.
  • edited August 2010
    cool ideas, guys...
  • edited August 2010
    Got some more of my sleeve filled in

39151_513321245973_302200285_386928_8214226_n.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Cool :D
  • edited August 2010
    I'm looking for a the calligraphy for compassion in tibetan. does anyone have any information or a link to this?
  • edited August 2010
    I highly suggest you get some verification for this but this is what I found on Google...
  • edited September 2010
    I'm so curious, Prairiegirl, if you ever found the right text to ink on your body. The first verse of the Dhammapada?

I am also considering permanently marking this impermanent body of mine with some Dharma-wisdom. I, too, am interested in Pali script, and am open to different versions thereof. I love the verses about flowers in the Dhammapada, especially:

52. Like a beautiful flower full of color
    and also fragrant, even so, fruitful are the
    fair words of one who practices them.

and also

53. As from a great heap of flowers many
    garlands can be made, even so should many
    good deeds be done by one born a mortal.

"Permanent" body art has been on my mind solidly for at least six years...I feel my time is ripening, and I'd love some assistance fine-tuning for greatest accuracy and clarity.

Mahalo (thank you.)

Gardeniagirl
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    These tattoos are really cool, I love Mountain's. I've considered getting a tattoo (when I'm older enough, naturally). How much does it hurt?

Thanks L&P... I won't deny that it does hurt, but it's certainly not unbearable (and I'm a big wuss!). Mine took about an hour and 15 minutes to complete, and I asked him to stop and give me a break a couple of times. You get little breaks when he has to change colors or shift his position around as well. I kept telling myself this was once in a lifetime, and that made it easier to bear. But it was over pretty quickly. I've heard it described as someone writing on your skin with a fine point pen - really hard.

Afterward it felt like a bad sunburn for a few days until it started to heal. But unlike a sunburn, it was just localized to the area that was inked. Within 4-5 days it was feeling back to normal. Mine flaked a good bit. Sometimes they scab over (there's no rhyme or reason, some do, some don't). Fortunately mine just flaked. Within 10 days it was as you see above.

Mtns
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    Mine flaked a good bit. Sometimes they scab over (there's no rhyme or reason, some do, some don't). Fortunately mine just flaked. Within 10 days it was as you see above.

Scabbing occurs when the tattoos are done too deeply or with poor technique, when aftercare instructions aren't followed or are faulty to begin with (NEVER use anti-bacterial cream), or from an allergic reaction to the type of ink used. Flaking is definitely normal as it is the upper layer of skin shedding.

Take the word of a guy who has spent many years in the body art industry and is covered with tattoos :)
    edited September 2010
    Em, scabbing sounds painful! If it scabbed, what would happen?
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Reactions are different for different people, but a common problem is the ink not taking to the skin well and looking blotchy or washed out. It looks really bad. I have seen sections of color missing from tattoos because they were rejected by the skin.

The best thing you can do is find a reputable artist with many years of quality work behind them and who has proper knowledge of aftercare.
    edited September 2010
    edited September 2010
    L&P - before you eventually get a tattoo, do a lot of research. Don't just go to the first tattoo parlor you find. Ask around, go there and meet the artists, ask to see examples (not just photos - actual in-the-flesh) of their work, talk to previous clients, etc.

Mtns
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Picking up a few tattoo magazines help also. I prefer international tattoo magazine, but other's have their preferences. Keep in mind that the artist and the studio's BEST work goes into magazines, not their average work. But even still, if you thumb through a few magazines and notice the same shop keeps coming up, and it's about an hour away, it's worth stoping in to see them in person. Always ask for their health department certifications (if it's a state that get's inspected), and ask for a walk through of their facility. A good clean shop with good art work is what you are looking for, not a hole in the wall joint with poor hygiene.

Apart from that, you have to keep in mind that tattoos involve the healing body. Every body heals differently. It takes me about 7 days (on average) to recover from a tattoo. Some of my friends can recover in 4 days, others it takes two weeks. It all depends on the individual.

One of my friends was a tattoo artist before he passed away. One of the best in the state, and had been doing it for over 30 years. He said every day he encounters something new. Some people's bodies don't accept certain colors. It just happens. Sometimes it's allergies, sometimes it isn't. But he would show me where a purple got accepted into one person's skin easily, was bright and vibrant, while it didn't get accepted into another person's skin, was dull and worn. Those usually require a 'second coat' if you will. Touch ups are usually free, by the way.

One last thing. Ask the artist how much it will cost. They usually will tell you it depends on the time, or the detail, or whatnot. Ask for a ball park price in your consult, then make sure you know for sure what it is before you sit down for the tattoo. The better the artist, usually the higher the price. But it's worth it. You're painting your body, not the outside of your house. And paying someone to go back over it is more expensive than you want to deal with. Once they tell you what it is (say $150) make sure that you give them a GENEROUS tip. I prefer in the neighborhood of 30-50% (so a $50-75 tip). Make sure the artist knows that they get the tip if you like the tattoo. They usually like to work harder, and give you intricate details which makes the tattoo look extra nice if they know they are getting a good tip for it. Tips also mean great repeat business. Artists like the tips, because they don't have to give any of it to the shop for operating costs. So if they were charging you $150 for the tattoo, usually about 1/3 to 1/2 goes to the shop. With the tip, they end up getting twice what they thought they would. A happy artist makes a happy tattoo.
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the advice everyone :)
  • edited September 2010
    So cool. I like your take on the wheel.
    edited September 2010
    LOL cool :D
  • edited September 2010
    The tattoo of the dhamma wheel is terrific Vangelis. I have been looking into several designs myself, this is certainly worthy of being added to my shortlist of tattoos.

There is one design in particular that I like, although I am having some difficulty obtaining a translation. I have been advised it loosely translates into the Sanskrit symbol 'Om' (that which sustains life). If this is in fact the case, or if there is an alternative translation then it would be lovely to hear from any enlightened beings as to its meaning.
    buddha+tattoo.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HaDcoElLdc0/S2Bkz6z2hkI/AAAAAAAABMw/xOzspAUXNws/s400/buddha+tattoo.jpg

My only alteration would be to have the tattoo done in colour to personalise it, although I shall try and remain aware of any attachment or desire that may interfere with me enjoying the tattoo experience.

I was interested to read that it was not uncommon for Buddhist monks in Thailand to have tattoos, sometimes even quite large ones.
  • edited September 2010
    sambodhi wrote: »
    Got some more of my sleeve filled in

39151_513321245973_302200285_386928_8214226_n.jpg

Nice work Sambod,

But what is the inspiration and significance behind those images?

Kind regards,

Nam
  • edited November 2010
    Here is one I got a couple of months ago. It is based on one that is in this thread.

phpyTPnczAM.jpg
    edited November 2010
    Looks sore
  • edited November 2010
    It was just finished in that picture,so it was sore...
  • edited November 2010
    I don't have any real tattoos, Buddhist or otherwise. What I do have though, is I have "METTA" written on my right hand to remind me to spread as much lovingkindness as possible. On my left hand, I have "DUKKHA" which serves two purposes. First is to remind that yes, dukkha does happen and it is part of human existence, I just need to find ways to remove it. Second, it's written in pen so it will come off at the end of each day. The idea there is that as the day goes on, the dukkha will fade away and eventually disappear which goes with the idea that dukkha is in fact impermanent, as I have come to understand.

(Forgot to mention, these get written at the beginning of each day, and are mostly gone buy the end, so they are temporary tattoos of sorts, I guess.)
    edited November 2010
    equake wrote: »
    It was just finished in that picture,so it was sore...

That's something to put you off- made me wince just looking:lol: It's gonna be quite nice though when it's healed. Send a picture :)
    edited November 2010
    SteadyBlue wrote: »
    I don't have any real tattoos, Buddhist or otherwise. What I do have though, is I have "METTA" written on my right hand to remind me to spread as much lovingkindness as possible. On my left hand, I have "DUKKHA" which serves two purposes. First is to remind that yes, dukkha does happen and it is part of human existence, I just need to find ways to remove it. Second, it's written in pen so it will come off at the end of each day. The idea there is that as the day goes on, the dukkha will fade away and eventually disappear which goes with the idea that dukkha is in fact impermanent, as I have come to understand.

(Forgot to mention, these get written at the beginning of each day, and are mostly gone buy the end, so they are temporary tattoos of sorts, I guess.)

That's an idea lol :) I like how the Dukkha fades away :D
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Alright so I just got my first Tattoo... Sati on my hand and am thinking on my next one...

I am looking at this one:
    Dharma-wheel.jpg

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any significants to the smoky mist on either side or the symbol on the lotus
  • edited December 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    Alright so I just got my first Tattoo... Sati on my hand and am thinking on my next one...

Dharma-wheel.jpg

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any significants to the smoky mist on either side or the symbol on the lotus

No, I don't know if there's any significance, but I like the design of this one and it has given me an idea of how to extend mine...
    edited December 2010
    Maybe the mist is like confusion and the lotus represents peace, understanding, enlightenment. Maybe it's there for you to interpret your own meaning, develop your own, more meaningful understanding.
    edited December 2010
    I like it!
    edited December 2010
    the tattoo or my enlightened reply to the meaning
    edited December 2010
    both I'm sure :)

Thanks for your insightful reply Jellybean!
    edited December 2010
    It's nothing... really *sticks nose in air* :p
  • edited December 2010
    Ok, having thought about it a bit more and examining the drawing, I'm going to give a go at interpreting the "smokey mist". It looks to me as if it is emanating from the lotus flower from all directions and enveloping the dhamma wheel.

In the Anguttara Nikaya (AN3:79) there is a sutta in which Ananda asks the Buddha if there is a fragrance which goes against the wind. The Buddha replies that unlike normal fragrances like sandalwood, the fragrance of one who has taken the triple refuge and who is virtuous and generous goes against the wind.

So, possibly the sweet fragrance of the dhamma is represented in the drawing emanating in all directions.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I'm looking at getting a tattoo and came across this image:

6a01053695fa9d970b0120a5969935970b-800wi

I read on the site where the pic came from that the red lotus represents Avalokiteśvara, but do the lines at the bottom signify something?
  • edited December 2010
    WOW all these tattoos are very beautiful=)
    edited December 2010
    johnathan wrote: »

Dharma-wheel.jpg

I am wondering if perhaps the symbol on the lotus is a flame... I found this in my wanderings of the internet today:

Nirvana literally means "unbound' as in "Mind like fire unbound". This beautiful image is of a flame burning by itself. Just the flame, not something burning and giving off a flame. Picture a flame burning on a wick or stick, it seems to hover around or just above the thing burning. The flame seems to be independent of the thing burning but it clings to the stick and is bound to it. This sense of the flame being unbound has often been misunderstood to mean the flame is extinguished or blown out. This is completely opposite to the meaning of the symbol. The flame "burns" and gives light but is no longer bound to any combustible material. The flame is not blown out - the clinging and the clung to is extinguished. The flame of our true nature, which is awakening, burns independently. Ultimately Nirvana is beyond conception and intellectual understanding. Full understanding only comes through direct experience of this "state' which is beyond the limitations and definitions of space and time.
    edited December 2010
    Ok... So this is what I have as a break down of the symbology of this Tattoo:

What the symbols mean:

1) Around the central wheel at North, East, South and West) are small groupings of Three dots which to me represents the four noble truths.

2) Also around the central wheel are four solitary dots NE, SE, SW, NW which to me represent the four sublime states.

3) The wheel's three basic parts are symbols of the "three trainings" in Buddhist practice (wisdom, discipline and concentration): The hub symbolizes moral discipline, which stabilizes the mind. The eight spokes represent wisdom which is applied to defeat ignorance. The rim represents training in concentration, which holds everything else together.

More specifically the 8 spokes represent the 8 fold path.

4) Within the hub are three swirling sections (Gankyil) which to me will represent the indivisible essence of the Three Dharma Seals (Three Marks of Existence): Anatta, Dukkha, Anicca.

5) The Lotus is one of the Eight Auspicious Symbols (The Dharma Whel being one as well) and one of the most poignant representations of Buddhist teaching.

The roots of a lotus are in the mud, the stem grows up through the water, and the heavily scented flower lies pristinely above the water, basking in the sunlight. This pattern of growth signifies the progress of the soul from the primeval mud of materialism, through the waters of experience, and into the bright sunshine of enlightenment.

Though there are other water plants that bloom above the water, it is only the lotus which, owing to the strength of its stem, regularly rises eight to twelve inches above the surface.

The color of the lotus has an important bearing on the symbology associated with it:

White Lotus (Skt. pundarika; Tib. pad ma dkar po): This represents the state of spiritual perfection and total mental purity (bodhi). It is associated with the White Tara and proclaims her perfect nature, a quality which is reinforced by the color of her body.

Pink Lotus (Skt. padma; Tib. pad ma dmar po): This the supreme lotus, generally reserved for the highest deity. Thus naturally it is associated with the Great Buddha himself.

Red Lotus (Skt. kamala; Tib: pad ma chu skyes): This signifies the original nature and purity of the heart (hrdya). It is the lotus of love, compassion, passion and all other qualities of the heart. It is the flower of Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva of compassion.

Blue Lotus (Skt. utpala; Tib. ut pa la): This is a symbol of the victory of the spirit over the senses, and signifies the wisdom of knowledge. Not surprisingly, it is the preferred flower of Manjushri, the bodhisattva of wisdom.

6) The scrolling coming from the lotus does not have any symbolism as far as I can find but to me will represent The Three Gems: Buddha, Dharma, Sangha.

7) The front 5 petals of the lotus to me will represent the 5 Precepts.

8) the symbol of a flame upon the lotus represents Nirvana.

Nirvana literally means "unbound' as in "Mind like fire unbound". This beautiful image is of a flame burning by itself. Just the flame, not something burning and giving off a flame. Picture a flame burning on a wick or stick, it seems to hover around or just above the thing burning. The flame seems to be independent of the thing burning but it clings to the stick and is bound to it. This sense of the flame being unbound has often been misunderstood to mean the flame is extinguished or blown out. This is completely opposite to the meaning of the symbol. The flame "burns" and gives light but is no longer bound to any combustible material. The flame is not blown out - the clinging and the clung to is extinguished. The flame of our true nature, which is awakening, burns independently. Ultimately Nirvana is beyond conception and intellectual understanding. Full understanding only comes through direct experience of this "state' which is beyond the limitations and definitions of space and time.

9) The Smokey Mist which is emanating from the lotus flower from all directions and enveloping the dhamma wheel represents the sweet fragrance of the dhamma.

I am not sure which color lotus I will get yet... any suggestions?

Does anyone have any more insight into the symbols in this tattoo?
    edited December 2010
    Have you been bored today? :p I love the meaning of the flame tattoo :)
  • edited December 2010
    Nothing screams "unclinging" like a good ole' tattoo :D
    edited December 2010
    Epicurus: Smart @ss LOL!!!
  • edited February 2011
    This Tattoo is half done. It will be going up to my thigh. Right now on the outside of my leg is a root. This will be attached to a tree that grows up above the knee. Let me know what you think....

• I think it looks great equake!
  • Hello, I am seriously considering a tattoo on my back, my first tat was (cliché) my little boy's name in chinese characters. I want the lyrics to Bif Naked's song Everyday (selected ones) in script writing, taking up the majority of my back. Here are the lyrics I want: Everyday, live it like it’s your last one.
    Every kiss, kiss it like it’s your first love.
    If I had one wish; then I would wish
    that you could live today like
    everyday, everyday is your last one.

Dip your feet in to the ocean.
    Let the sun beat on your skin.
    Soak in every emotion,
    that you never thought you’d live.
    And never take for granted,
    every breath you’re breathing in.
    Go everywhere you’ve never been.

Bif Naked

Its not exactly Buddhist, but I felt some of you might feel the sentiment. Hope to get it done over the summer holidays either this year or next year, as I work in a special ed school, and my young friends at school would probably accidentally damage it.
    I forgot to post it here but I did get the following tattoo almost a year ago now... I got the idea from a previous tattoo in this thread.

Unfortunately it was my first tattoo and guy who did it told me to put polysporine on it and it drew a lot of the ink out. Its still there, just not as dark... faded looking in spots... part of me wants to get it fixed, another thinks that that is a symptom of attachment to outcomes and I should just accept it as is as a reminder not only to be mindful but to let go of expectations.
  • Johnathan, most well to do tattoo shops will do touch ups on their own tattoos for free. Sometimes the ink just doesn't appear as dark as it's intended. You are, afterall, fighting with the body's natural urge to heal itself. Everyone heals differently, and most tattoo artists understand that.

Personally, my body doesn't react well to one particular brand of red ink. Everything else heals well, but when that one type of red ink is used, it gets raised up and takes 6-8 months for it to lie back down. Strange, but not unheard of.
  • Just had to throw my 2 cents in here. This is the tattoo I got myself for my birthday last year.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Boy, reading this thread, I realize I am never going to understand Buddhism! No tatts and wouldn't get one on a bet. :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I forgot to post it here but I did get the following tattoo almost a year ago now... I got the idea from a previous tattoo in this thread.

Unfortunately it was my first tattoo and guy who did it told me to put polysporine on it and it drew a lot of the ink out. Its still there, just not as dark... faded looking in spots... part of me wants to get it fixed, another thinks that that is a symptom of attachment to outcomes and I should just accept it as is as a reminder not only to be mindful but to let go of expectations.
    i remember seeing this tattoo as well and thinking it was a neat idea. sometimes i feel like i need a little kick to be more mindful.

but i second what specialalkayme said, a lot of shops will do touch ups for free, but also know that tattoos on the hands will fade very fast because of how much we use them. we are constantly rubbing the skin through use, which creates a faster development of new skin cells.