Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and God

Do Buddhists have a belief in God ?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Some of us do as a part of our belief system. Others, probably a majority, do not.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    No but some people believe in both. My lama said it was like different branches on the same tree. She also said that to actually in fact practice both could lead to situations like having your feet on two different tracks leading in different directions such that it is hard to balance or go in either path's direction.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Steve108 said:

There is no creator God in Buddhism, The only creator is the mind.
    There are Samsaric beings who inhabit the God realms but they are not eternal or free from Delusion.

Bunksperson
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    That's an interesting analogy, Jeffrey. I like it. That would definitely be a problem for me, which is why I can only handle one practice, lol.

I personally do not believe in God or any sort of deity. It just never worked for me. There is a cause and an effect for everything that exists. Just because we don't have the answers, doesn't mean something is unanswerable, and shouldn't have to mean we have to rely on a super powerful being to hold the answers.

My sister is likewise a Buddhist Christian, but mostly only so far as she believes Jesus was real and she believes his teachings are true the same as Buddhas. She does not really believe in God as a higher power, or in heaven and hell, but simply in in Christ's teachings. It's just easier to say "I'm a Buddhist Christian" than to say "I'm a practicing Buddhist who also believes in the teachings of Christ."
    lobsterperson
  • . . . and back to suffering, dukkha and all that . . . :clap:
    If God arises, then you have God. Nice or delusional dependent on where you reside. Believe it or not an atheist can be a priest or meditate in Church. I remember meeting Moslems hanging out at a Tantric temple etc . . .
    Walking in two direction at once is a mundane form of bi-location. Might not be available at every step . . .
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Strictly speaking I don't think Siddartha would condone a theistic view, since that would imply obeisance to some entity external to yourself, which although romantic doesn't lead to liberation

(although it is important to learn as much as you can from your teacher, if you are fortunate to come across them in this life)

but you know, skillful means manifest in many ways, maybe the only way for jesus to reach the people of the time was to explain a Beyond in terms of a God, etc..

I think the word "God" can denote some deeper spiritual ideas, like my brother uses it this way, and he talks of Everyone being God.. You know, it's a word that everyone has this sort-of almighty feel to from the outset, so if it can be used to bend thinking out of the comfort zone then I think it can be beneficial.

Everything you need is already on-board!

"there are three things that cannot long remain hidden; the sun, the moon, and the truth" ~ buddha
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Thank Cod for God
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    In some texts (I am thinking of the Jewel Ornament of Liberation) people are instructed not to take refuge in God. That is different from believing. The reason for this is not jealousy of God but the purpose hinges on the fact that God is not a reliable refuge ie they don't bring together the end of suffering.
    lobster
  • Refuse refuge in refuse.
    Ich bin ein Buddhist.
  • Buddhists believe in a lot of stuff.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    I think we'd have to agree on a definition of god to even approach that question..
    BunksI_AM_THAT
  • caz said:

There are Samsaric beings who inhabit the God realms but they are not eternal or free from Delusion.

You go a step too far.
    This is a belief that some Buddhists have, but not all Buddhists.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    robot said:

caz said:

You go a step too far.
    Not that @caz needs me to defend him, but he does say Buddhism not Buddhists.
  • @person
    I have no problem with caz saying that there is no creator god in Buddhism.
    I think he should have stopped there. He has made assertions that cannot be proven any more than god can.
    vinlyn
  • Actually the God Realms can be experienced in Meditation. They are the realms of infinite space, consciousness, nothingness, and neither-perception or non perception. There is also the God Realms of joy, love, equanimity, and compassion.

These are perception attainments that occur when concentration and letting go is cultivated.

These are also considered samsaric still because the individual is bounded by the minds construction of reality.

Just some information for you guys.
    lobster

Could they be the same? Cod and God?
    Daozenperson
  • Steve108 said:

"Gautama Buddha explicitly rejects the existence of a creator deity, refuses to endorse any views on creation and states that questions on the origin of the world are worthless. The non-adherence to the notion of an omnipotent creator deity or a prime mover is seen by many as a key distinction between Buddhism and other religions."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism
    @Daozen, you're not telling any of us anything we don't already know. SO I guess your point is that you are a fundamentalist who believes everyone must believe what the religion says they must believe.

That's fine for you. But frankly, most of us are not fundamentalists. We don't believe what some monk orders us to believe. We have put together our own faith system based on our own beliefs. Or, we look at Buddhism as a philosophy, rather than a religion. We look at principles, rather than principals.

lobster
  • vinlyn said:

@Daozen, you're not telling any of us anything we don't already know.

Speak for yourself. The OP asked about Buddhism and God. I answered with a directly relevant entry from Wikipedia.
    vinlyn said:

SO I guess your point is that you are a fundamentalist who believes everyone must believe what the religion says they must believe. That's fine for you. But frankly, most of us are not fundamentalists. We don't believe what some monk orders us to believe. We have put together our own faith system based on our own beliefs. Or, we look at Buddhism as a philosophy, rather than a religion. We look at principles, rather than principals.

Congratulations. Good for you. Go get 'em!
    @Daozen, I am speaking for myself. That's my point. We all speak for ourselves, and not for Buddhism as a whole.

Kundo
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2012
    "You're not telling any of us anything we don't already know" speaks for more than just yourself, at least according to conventional grammar. If you're saying that's not the case, then OK.

I respectfully disagree that we can't make general statements about Buddhism.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I'm not sure why people go into creator deities when asking/talking about Buddhist notions of God. Even for Brahmanism and/or Hinduism it is only one third of God.

Obviously an external creator deity wouldn't fit the bill but an all encompassing kind of consciousness just may.

I'm just talking strictly Buddhism and am not meaning to alienate any of our friends that have a mingling of Abraham's notion of God alongside their Buddhism although it doesn't work in my understanding.
    Daozen said:

Steve108 said:

"Gautama Buddha explicitly rejects the existence of a creator deity, refuses to endorse any views on creation and states that questions on the origin of the world are worthless. The non-adherence to the notion of an omnipotent creator deity or a prime mover is seen by many as a key distinction between Buddhism and other religions."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism
    That entry from Wiki doesn't take the Rohitassa Sutta into account.

"I tell you, friend, that it is not possible by traveling to know or see or reach a far end of the cosmos where one does not take birth, age, die, pass away, or reappear. But at the same time, I tell you that there is no making an end of suffering & stress without reaching the end of the cosmos. Yet it is just within this fathom-long body, with its perception & intellect, that I declare that there is the cosmos, the origination of the cosmos, the cessation of the cosmos, and the path of practice leading to the cessation of the cosmos."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.045.than.html

Clearly the questions regarding the origin of the cosmos aren't so worthless afterall. It's just that the answers lie within you and Buddha only points the way.

@Steve108;

It really depends on the Buddhist and what one really means when they say "God". I only capitalize it as not to have it confused with any one of many gods. I don't see God as a proper noun but more like a verb or a process.

Jeffrey
    @Daozen, yes, in one sense I spoke for the vast majority of Buddhists in saying that they are aware that formal Buddhism doesn't postulate a creator-God.

But one cannot say that "Buddhists believe _____". You may want to go back to another thread here from just a few weeks ago that pointed out that many members of our forum do believe in God or are open-minded about it. Many Buddhists I have personally known here is the States (not a majority) believe in God or are open-minded about it. Many Buddhists I knew or met in Thailand also believed in God or are open-minded about it.

I kind of thought over a period of several months that we, on this forum, had gotten away from statements that insinuated that "a real Buddhist _____." I would hope that people here believe in freedom of thought and freedom of beliefs.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Steve108 said:

Some do. But Buddhism itself generally doesn't posit an omnipotent, omniscient, creator god analogous to the Judeo-Christian God, and it seems to me that there are three main reasons why the question of God is basically a non-issue in Buddhism.

Reason #1: According to the texts, a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3). This can be interpreted two ways — that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of beings isn't evident, or that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta), isn't evident — and they're not mutually exclusive. Either way, the point is the same: all that really matters in the here and now is whether suffering is present, and if so, how it can be overcome.

Reason #2: The idea of a creator God is incompatible with certain aspects and teachings that, if taken to their logical conclusion, seem to reject the idea of, or a need for, a creator God. For one thing, the logic of dependent co-arising, while primarily concerned with the psychological process by which suffering arises in the mind, negates the idea of a creator God in that it precludes a first cause or a causeless cause when applied to cosmology (think of oscillating universe theory).

Then there's this famous problem of evil passage from the Bhuridatta Jataka (although, to be fair, this is most likely a later addition that some date to the 13th century):
    We see those rules enforced before our eyes,
    None but the Brahmans offer sacrifice,
    None but the Khattiya exercises sway,
    The Vessas plough, the Suddas must obey.
    These greedy liars propagate deceit,
    And fools believe the fictions they repeat;
    He who has eyes can see the sickening sight;
    Why does not Brahma set his creatures right?
    If his wide power no limits can restrain,
    Why is his hand so rarely spread to bless?
    Why are his creatures all condemned to pain?
    Why does he not to all give happiness?

Why do fraud, lies, and ignorance prevail?
    Why triumphs falsehood, truth and justice fail?
    I count your Brahma one of the unjust among,
    Who made a world in which to shelter wrong.
    Those men are counted pure who only kill
    Frogs, worms, bees, snakes or insects as they will,
    These are your savage customs which I hate,
    Such as Kamboja hordes might emulate.
    If he who kills is counted innocent
    And if the victim safe to heaven is sent,
    Let Brahmans Brahmans kill so all were well
    And those who listen to the words they tell.
    In addition, according to AN 3.61, the belief in a supreme being can be unskillful and interfere with Dhamma practice if it leads to the belief that everything a person experiences is due to such a supreme being, a denial of the efficacy of kamma (literally 'action') and a life of inaction:
    Having approached the priests & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation?"' Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of a supreme being's act of creation. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of a supreme being's act of creation.' When one falls back on creation by a supreme being as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my second righteous refutation of those priests & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views.
    Nevertheless, even in the earliest parts of the Pali Canon, there are references to devas (literally 'radiant ones') or what we might call 'heavenly beings.' Early Buddhism seems to have incorporated the Brahmnanic/proto-Hindu pantheon and myths, but gives them a unique spin, transforming immortal gods into non-human beings who are more powerful and long-lived than ordinary humans, but by no means eternal, omnipresent, omnipotent, etc. (e.g., see DN 1), and creation myths into Dhamma lessons (e.g., DN 27). But more importantly, they can also be viewed metaphorically as the indulgent and hedonistic aspects of our psychology (i.e., the parts that are addicted to sensual pleasures).

Personally, I'm skeptical about the existence of such beings; although I suppose it's possible they could exist, especially if string theory is correct and extra dimensions do exist, which could account for the various 'realms of existence' in Buddhist cosmology. But I tend to view them metaphorically, and as such, they don't really play much of a role in my practice besides being illustrative.

Reason #3: In relation to the four noble truths and the practice of the noble eightfold path, the matter of the existence of God is, soteriologically speaking, unnecessary. The impetus of the practice is a strong conviction in the efficacy of actions and the intentions underlying them, not the existence of a supreme being (e.g., see MN 61).

Of course, this doesn't mean that people can't believe in God and still practice the Dhamma, especially some of its more contemplative aspects; but it does mean that, at the very least, such views can negatively impact the practice if and when they're held inappropriately. In addition, I think one can certainly present Judeo-Christian ideas, or those from any other predominately monotheistic tradition, in a more or less Buddhistic way, and vice versa.

As I've often mentioned before, my dear friend Simon shared with me some of his ideas regarding the "excellence of the synthesis of the messages and practices" of Buddhism and Christianity, for example; and people like David Cooper (God is a Verb) and Thomas Merton (Mystics and Zen Masters) seem to continually find harmony between these spiritual disciplines.
    DaozenJeffrey
  • @ourself The entire article I referenced reveals the nuances of God in Buddhism.

Certainly some Mahayana/Vajrayana schools talk of a 'ground of being' which some take to be equivalent to a Brahman-style deity. However, this idea does not sit comfortably against core Buddhist ideas.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Daozen said:

@ourself The entire article I referenced reveals the nuances of God in Buddhism.

Certainly some Mahayana/Vajrayana schools talk of a 'ground of being' which some take to be equivalent to a Brahman-style deity. However, this idea does not sit comfortably against core Buddhist ideas.

I'm not talking so much of a "ground of being" but simply being itself. Ground of being sounds too akin to a first cause.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Thanks guys.
    I was particularly awed by the epiphany of Almighty Cod
    Jesus Christ, the Aunty of All Mighty Flying Fish and Spaghetti Monsters.

I was once told by my 8 limbed Guru (Olli the Octopus) that
    First there is a God, then no Cod, then we go fishing.

As we all probably know, the fish is a symbol for the awakened Jesus Fish.
    We may also know that there are states of trade marked mind, which trance ascend
    the belief of earlier mindlessness . . .
    A mind where Cod and no-cod have had their chips and exist in nonexistence or rather transcend notions of being and non being as Rainbow Trout.

OM MANI PADME HALI BUT
    DaozenpersonJeffrey
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2012
    vinlyn said:

But one cannot say that "Buddhists believe _____".

Wouldn't that make the word meaningless then? Here's a reference to a page about things we could potentially say after "Buddhists believe ..." : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Points_Unifying_the_Theravada_and_Mahayana

Also, what Jason said.
    @Daozen, you are free to believe whatever you wish.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    My goodness, so much rage. I think most disputes really do come from trying to communicate the same thing lol
    lobster
    robot said:

caz said:

You go a step too far.
    It is actually a belief universal to Buddhism it is supported by Buddha that there should be no refuge other then the 3 jewels as Samsaric gods are faulty and still suffering with delusion. It is a wrong view to take refuge in Gods in Buddhism.
    robot said:

@person
    I think he should have stopped there. He has made assertions that cannot be proven any more than god can.

Well this being a Buddhist forum I assumed we were using Buddha's teachings as a body of proof from which to develop insightful wisdom. If we are not then we are engaging in pointless philosophical conjecture.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I kind of thought over a period of several months that we, on this forum, had gotten away from statements that insinuated that "a real Buddhist _____." I would hope that people here believe in freedom of thought and freedom of beliefs.

Sure, but it is helpful to distinguish between Buddhist teaching and our personal beliefs...essential, actually.

;)
  • sova said:

My goodness, so much rage. I think most disputes really do come from trying to communicate the same thing lol

There's an actual term for that on Urban Dictionary: violent agreement

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=violent agreement&defid=5129289

vinlyn said:

Sure, but it is helpful to distinguish between Buddhist teaching and our personal beliefs...essential, actually.

;)
    Motion seconded.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I fall into the "does it really matter?" bracket. I'm not Atheist, and neither am I a believer - and I'm not agnostic either. I don't know what the term is for a person who really doesn't give a damn one way or the other.

Anybody watching the current Richard Dawkins serial on UK TV?
  • vinlyn said:

True, as are you of course. Perhaps it's more accurate to say your personal philosophy is a mixture of certain Buddhist and Christian elements than to put God into Buddhism, as it were?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2012
    federica said:

I fall into the "does it really matter?" bracket.

As I understand it, that's more or less Buddha's view.
    federica said:

I don't know what the term is for a person who really doesn't give a damn one way or the other.

Apatheist? :)
    Kundo
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    federica said:

I don't know what the term is for a person who really doesn't give a damn one way or the other.

Enlightened? :crazy:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    robot said:

@person

I did not see any assertions. All I saw was simply facts about what the Buddha taught. It can be proven that this is what the Buddha taught, just by reading the scriptures. The Buddha is the one who made the assertions. Whether or not what the scriptures say is true, is of course, up to you.

cazJeffrey
    It isn't ike it really matters but it's an interesting topic.

Does God have to be something that created everything on a whim?

Do we all understand the difference between God and a god?

Is God perhaps a bad label for the way of things becoming aware?

There can't be a conscious creator for that which has no beginning but I would imagine that which has no beginning and is always changing will one day become aware.
    Jeffrey
    Awareness is.

vinlyn said:

;)
    I agree completely.

The difference here in this discussion (in my view) is that one person is talking about "formal Buddhism", while I am talking about "what Buddhists do".

For example, although I couldn't verify the original survey, I found one which said that in a survey of American Buddhists, a majority believed in "God"; that among Taiwanese Buddhists, 83.9% believed in Got; 56.7% of Japanese Buddhists believed in "God"; and 86.3% of Singaporean Buddhists believe in "God". I put God in parenthesis here because I couldn't find how God was defined in the survey.
    Daozen said:

vinlyn said:

True, as are you of course. Perhaps it's more accurate to say your personal philosophy is a mixture of certain Buddhist and Christian elements than to put God into Buddhism, as it were?
    Yes. This is what I've been saying all along. That I am a mix of Buddhist and Christian thought.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Steve108 said:

@Steve108, to each their own.

I began life as a baptised Roman Catholic. When I decided to follow a Buddhist path, It was more of a transition than a switch. Looking back now, I realise that it was more a 'fear of letting go of the familiar and comfortable' than any form of confusion, pondering or lingering faith. It slowly dawned on me over time that I'd believed in an all-powerful, omnipotent Creator-God - because I was with a huge crowd of people who also did, I was expected to, I ran with the crowd and believed I had to. There's safety in numbers.
    While I do not completely discount the possibility, it matters less and less to me whether a God exists or not.
    It's simply a case of living life as if one did.
    And you can perfectly do that just as well without him - or her - looking over your shoulders.
    Buddhism covers all the bases.
    if you want to continue believing in God, feel free to do so.

Some, in your position, have to at some point or another, make the decision to put both feet on just one raft.

Others make effort to ford the steam, watching their balance, by carefully making their way over the water on those weird 'foot-canoes'.
    The journey is more precarious, unsettling and you go partly where you want to and partly where the damn things take you.
    And it takes a lot longer, because in my opinion, you just make it unnecessarily hard on yourself.
    The question is not so much "Do Buddhists have a belief in God?" but for some, it's "Why would you want to?"

lobster
  • seeker242 said:

robot said:

@person

I did not see any assertions. All I saw was simply facts about what the Buddha taught. It can be proven that this is what the Buddha taught, just by reading the scriptures. The Buddha is the one who made the assertions. Whether or not what the scriptures say is true, is of course, up to you.

If caz is referring to what the Buddha taught perhaps he should have backed it up with references.
    If I have understood him correctly he is asserting that mind exists prior to form, creates form. My understanding is that this view has been soundly refuted by the likes of Nagarjuna and Shantideva.
    I am suggesting that not all Buddhists hold his view on this.
    Caz went on to assert that there are beings living in God realms. Could be true.
    Taiyaki said he takes these realms to be human attainments. Deep meditative states.
    Jason has stated that he views these type of stories as metaphorical.
    What the Buddha taught is open to a range of interpretations.
    That's why I said that caz should have stopped short of asserting his own beliefs in a discussion in which he was refuting the beliefs of other Buddhists.
  • From a Buddhist point of view the notion of an external other exists if one is deluded with dualistic vision.

With the dawning of non dual insight the subject and object are seen to be constructions of mind.

The whole point of Buddhism is freedom from suffering (dualistic vision).

Unless the non dual ground is made into God, but then it wouldn't be a belief nor would it be an external other.
  • taiyaki said:

From a Buddhist point of view the notion of an external other exists if one is deluded with dualistic vision.

With the dawning of non dual insight the subject and object are seen to be constructions of mind.

Please explain how the mind can be the creator in a non dualistic view. Thanks.
  • I too am a baptised Pope pleb. However I feel Churches are often the Western equivalent of charnel grounds. People only go for death and dressing up and the rest of the time they are pretty much quiet and free and open if you are lucky. A great place to practice zazen, kneeling on a pew. If you have strong aversions to Christian iconography, then you are in the right place because there is no wrong place ultimately. The same would apply to silent chanting in a mosque or Hindu setting if available.
    It might produce internal conflict but this soon dissipates.
    I have been in Buddhist retreats with people saying grace internally, praying instead of meditating and spreading rumours of strange pieces of wood decorated with a living corpse. Holy ghosts and such . . fine with everyone as far as my experience goes . . . :clap:
  • When there is sound, sound is dependent upon the condition of ear, attention, and sound object and then the sound consciousness appears. This sound consciousness in its purity prior to conceptual imputation is free of subject and object. As soon as the sound occurs we infer the sound to be in some location other than here. So instantly we create the subject here listening to sound over there. This is dualistic vision.

When we examine sound directly there is only the sound with no distance other than the conceptual assumption of a hearer in this assumed location with the assumed location of the sound over "there". In hearing there is just sound with no hearer. Zero dimensional sound.

This sound also has no edges, no center, it is mirage appearance with no true substance.

The mind is the groundless ground of all the interdependent arisings. In this case it is the sound. But we just explored how the sound arises from specific conditions. Even those conditions are imputed. In actuality the sound requires everything in the whole universe past, present, and future to arise. So in that sound contains everything.

From top to down, from solidity to recognition of empty luminosity, it is the unborn buddha mind.

But then lets explore the creator, the unborn mind. It too is dependent upon everything else, it too empty and unestablished having no center, edge, or truly existent reference point.

Sorry this is a bit wordy, but non duality of mind is a difficult and complex thing to describe using words and practically impossible to because we have to use dualistic language to describe essentially an experience/realization.

Hope this helps.
    lobster