Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A sick society

A great man once said: it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a sick society.

Do you agree that society is sick - it encourages brutality, competition etc.? Does such a society have the moral right to condemn anyone? And as this man said, why is it we find people (parents advising children, or shrinks advising patients) encouraging everyone to fit into this society?
lobster

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Once upon a time an evil witch visits a kingdom and poisons the central well with a potion that drives people mad. The next morning all who drink from that well go crazy. The king, however, knew about this in advance, and didn’t drink from the communal well. The next day, those who drank the poisoned water came to the king and accused him of being the crazy one. The king, aware of what had transpired, was faced with a dilemma: drink from the well and lose his sanity like the rest of his subjects, but remain king; or don’t drink, remain sane, but be swept from power by those who would view his very sanity as madness.
    Inc88DaltheJigsawWisdom23Cole_
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    music said:

A great man once said: it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a sick society.

Do you agree that society is sick - it encourages brutality, competition etc.? Does such a society have the moral right to condemn anyone? And as this man said, why is it we find people (parents advising children, or shrinks advising patients) encouraging everyone to fit into this society?

First, I don' think society is "sick". I think, over time, that society evolves, and generally gets better, although sometimes we take big steps backwards for a while, too.

Yes, I do think that society has the right to condemn people that are too far outside the norms of that society's morals. Now perhaps the word "condemn" is a bit strong, but didn't Buddha teach that one should carefully select one's associates. Who should be condemned -- murderers? Child molesters? Again, where do we draw the line?

In terms of fitting into society, again it's a question of degree. But are those who are too far outside of societal norms happy and content? I think not.

RebeccaSDaltheJigsawstavros388Wisdom23
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Society is sick because sick people with sick intellectual capacity are making it's rules. Competition is the engine of human society's progress, from Stone Age to Now-A-Days Age. If it implies brutality, so be it.

I believe that our society got sick because competition has been limited, or, better put, misdirected. Instead of having a competition between , let's say, who is the first put a flag and build a colony on Mars, it's about who has the most money, the most b*tches, the shiniest bling and so on. The competition is (mis)directed to small things, instead of big things ( that will require everybody's whole focus, skill and energy) .

We find people encouraging everyone to fit in this society because :
    1. human society is based on herd instinct;
    2. parents want obedient children;
    3. shrinks would have no clients if the society was 'healthy'.
    Wisdom23kashi
  • Yes, society is sick. Everyone is descended from someone who proliferated their genetic material more effectively than most by being a vicious asshole, and the cultural effects of this are obvious. E.g., it is no coincidence that the US, the wealthiest and most powerful nation on Earth, is also the most militaristic. (And the same goes for Britain before the rise of the US.)

Essentially the same forces which drive samsara on a personal level drive whole societies to violence and self deception, and this feeds back into personal samsara.

The diagnosis is easy. The question, @music, is what are you going to do about it personally?
  • GuiGui Veteran
    I think consumerism is sick. I think plutocracy is sick. I think greed is sick. I think egotism, vanity, conceit and selfishness is sick. Society is moral only as morality is defined by society.
    I agree with:
    "A great man once said: it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a sick society. "

I would even go so far as to say that it is a healthy mind that is not able to adjust to a sick society.

NomaDBuddhakarastilobstermusic
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Not all of society. Some parts of society is good. You have to look around, it is hard to be open-minded, but it is doable. I am speaking from experience. I was very pessimistic when I was younger, but I am definitely improving in my view of society. Our universe is so vast, different and always expanding that no view explains it all.
    JeffreylobsterWisdom23
  • This society is our charnel ground, practice realm or playground. It gives us our karmic base. It is heaven and hell. It changes or we change . . .
    Guess which is easier?

Welcome to the real world. :clap:
    Jeffrey
    edited December 2012
    For those who think society is "sick", keep in mind that society isn't everybody else. "We" are society.
    lobsterDaltheJigsaw
  • music said:

We are sick. That's why society is sick.
    DaltheJigsawBeejWisdom23Cole_
  • Jeffrey said:

There is no such thing as 'the' society because it is so multi-faceted that it is not one solid monolith.

We must try to see the general characteristics of societies throughout the world - brutality, cutthroat competition, lust for war, worship of success and abuse of the poor, and so on. These features are common to all societies. Even if you have all the virtues in the world but don't have money (or some sort of worldly success), society will dehumanize you all the while talking about the importance of virtue. The sheer hypocrisy of all this is obvious, unless you're blind. In this context, an antisocial guy seems far superior to mainstream society - at least he isn't a hypocrite.

mithrilJeffrey
  • fivebells said:

Yes, society is sick. Everyone is descended from someone who proliferated their genetic material more effectively than most by being a vicious asshole, and the cultural effects of this are obvious. E.g., it is no coincidence that the US, the wealthiest and most powerful nation on Earth, is also the most militaristic. (And the same goes for Britain before the rise of the US.)

Essentially the same forces which drive samsara on a personal level drive whole societies to violence and self deception, and this feeds back into personal samsara.

The diagnosis is easy. The question, @music, is what are you going to do about it personally?

Accept it as karma (bad karma, evidently), give up desires, hoping that one doesn't take birth in this s****y little world again. What else can one do?
  • What else can one do? Well, there is always Buddhist practice.
    lobsterWisdom23
  • music said:

We must try to see the general characteristics of societies throughout the world - brutality, cutthroat competition, lust for war, worship of success and abuse of the poor, and so on.
    These features are common to all societies. Even if you have all the virtues in the world but don't have money (or some sort of worldly success), society will dehumanize you all the while talking about the importance of virtue.
    The sheer hypocrisy of all this is obvious, unless you're blind. In this context, an antisocial guy seems far superior to mainstream society - at least he isn't a hypocrite.

Converting a personal experience to a universal doctrine is challenging.

Where is the perfect human that is dehumanised?

Seeing a 'superior' position is not so different from competition, war, success etc.
    vinlyn
  • Maybe we should all follow The Tao
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I think people are greatly conditioned by a multitude of factors, including the socio-economic framework in which they're born. If one is born into a society where x is considered the norm and the idea is widely reproduced, many growing up or simply participating in that society will be influenced to think about x in a certain way, whether ideologically or pragmatically in terms of surviving in such a society. That doesn't mean, however, that society will always look at x the same way.

Take slavery, for example. In the US, slavery (i.e., cheap labour) was seen as economically necessary in the early days, and was strongly supported by many in the propertied ruling class; and from this, a myriad of justifications for slavery arose beyond its profitability. White people living in that society often had negative views of blacks as being inferior (mentally, morally, racially, etc.), and they were treated poorly, even brutally. That's just how it was. Nevertheless, even in that context, people increasingly began to see the institution of slavery as an evil; and abolitionists, black and white, not only spoke out against it, but actively tried to help free slaves, whether through legislative means or by helping them escape via the Underground Railroad. Attitudes changed, although it took generations for the momentum of this shift in consciousness to manifest into the end of the slave trade and slavery itself, and the ideological battle against racism is still going on.

Another example is DADT. While watching the documentary The Strange History Of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, for example, certain events struck me as being potential real-world examples of what Marx meant when he wrote in The German Ideology, "The ideas of the ruling class are in every epoch the ruling ideas, i.e. the class which is the ruling material force of society, is at the same time its ruling intellectual force." For example, the Crittenden Report, an internal military study done in 1957 by the US Navy, concluded that 'homosexuals' serving in the military didn't pose any kind of security risk, with subsequent studies done in the 80s and 90s by various Department of Defense agencies and think tanks(e.g., PERSEREC, RAND Corp., etc.) concluding that sexual orientation is completely unrelated to, and has no bearing on, job performance. Nevertheless, the dominate view of those in charge (i.e., the ruling material force of society) was that "Homosexuality is wrong, it is evil, and it is to be branded as such" (Crittenden Report), and all such studies were classified and essentially buried, hence the ruling idea was that gays and lesbians should be barred from the military.

President Clinton's 1993 DADT policy, which was basically a compromise between his progressive campaign rhetoric and the status quo, did little more than legalize this kind of discrimination, and homosexual witch-hunts actually increased with the implementation of 'don't ask, don't tell.' Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, both scientific and empirical (esp. nations with gays and lesbians already openly serving in the military), the ruling ideas prevailed relatively unchallenged for decades; and it was only through decades of struggle, particularly on the part of the LBGTQ community, and shifts in popular attitude, that DADT was repealed—not the facts, which were actually covered up by the powers that be because they conflicted with their ideological view of the world and challenged their ideological hegemony (a view personified in the documentary by Senator McCain).

One theory of mine about this is that the ruling class by its very nature fosters divisions within society — as in separate, competing factions à la Madison — in order to prevent a unified challenge to the institution of private property and the dominance of ruling-class ideology; and anything which tends to unite these opposing factions is perceived as a danger to those two things, as well as those it favours (i.e., the propertied and capitalist classes). Here, non-discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in regard to military service is a uniting force seeking to tear down a socially constructed barrier within society, which will logically help to erode discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in the spheres of employment, housing, marriage, etc., thereby limiting its use as a dividing force, much the same way that struggles against discrimination on the basis of things like gender, race, etc. have attempted to do.

Of course, through constant struggle, ideas and social relations change over time; and the ruling class' ideological positions naturally must shift with them in order to compensate and insure that it maintains its control over the productive base of society, which, according to Marx's theory of base and superstructure, does a great deal to condition the rising legal and political superstructure of society. So it's expected that reforms will eventually manifest themselves, such as the allowance of gays and lesbians to openly serve in the military at the same time they're unable to legally get married in 44 of the 50 states (with none of the marriages in those 6 states being currently recognized by the federal government, by the way), and while still excluding transgendered individuals from service. And I think this particular example can not only be used to illustrate the existence of ruling class ideology, but how combating aspects of it without addressing its underlying foundation (i.e., its material/structural basis) ultimately leads to inadequate compromises and endless battles of social equality instead of truly progressive victories.

Whatever the case, in every context where the ruling ideas of society promote some form of brutality or discrimination, there are also those who fight against it and push society to change, many times for the better. But these things are complex and not easily seen for what they are, let alone undone or transcended. As a society, I think we experience an evolution in political consciousness over time just as much as we do in the traditional sense, and we're not limited to being 'sick.' There are many examples of those who don't just accept things as they are and try to do something positive about it.

ZeroCole_
    music said:

fivebells said:

Yes, society is sick. Everyone is descended from someone who proliferated their genetic material more effectively than most by being a vicious asshole, and the cultural effects of this are obvious. E.g., it is no coincidence that the US, the wealthiest and most powerful nation on Earth, is also the most militaristic. (And the same goes for Britain before the rise of the US.)

Accept it as karma (bad karma, evidently), give up desires, hoping that one doesn't take birth in this s****y little world again. What else can one do?
    Try to make positive changes in the world along with other like-minded people.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Considering I don't think the world is going to evolve to a fully spiritual state in the very near future, I honestly don't think I want to not be born into this world again. I think I'd prefer to be born again to hope to keep contributing in a positive manner towards that evolution.
  • "Don't try to change the world you see, for the world you see doesn't even exist" - Ramana Maharshi
    lobsterJeffrey
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I think things are getting better, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. But you know, if you're a woman or an African American or a homosexual, I feel like it's pretty obvious that things are getting better (assuming you don't live in a third world nation). I mean, back in biblical times, women were forced to marry their rapists... ...as bad as things are... they aren't THAT bad.
  • music said:

Start with yourself first before complaining about society.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Metallica said:

I take it the 'yourself' is generic, not specific? ;)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    So Jason you have read quite widely. What benefit do the rich and powerful get from hatred/intolerance of gays? Surely some of them must themselves be gay. I think a lot of the sort of redneck people who hate gays are not rich and powerful themselves and their allegiance is their perception and fears discomfort and hatred.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The path to the cessation of suffering traverses through many different forms. Society is just one of them. Somewhere, the path walker needs to figure out if their priorities are with the path or the scenery.
    Beej
  • federica said:

Metallica said:

Nope, we can only change ourselves, but it helps when other people brings it up. One enemy can actually come up with the best advice against your faults.

Thats why we got eyes in the front, we always see other people's faults and forgive ourselves. Hence why if we are wise, we can many of other people's beef with us are genuine expressions of our short comings.

Anyway, your old as compared to me, doesn't that mean you had more time to practice your habits and attachments than me? Just because you have practice for a long time, doesn't mean you actually have the right understanding.

Jeffrey said:

So Jason you have read quite widely. What benefit do the rich and powerful get from hatred/intolerance of gays? Surely some of them must themselves be gay. I think a lot of the sort of redneck people who hate gays are not rich and powerful themselves and their allegiance is their perception and fears discomfort and hatred.

It's not quite as simplistic as that, but it's difficult for me to summarize. Historically speaking, though, ruling classes in general seem to benefit from divisions within society that prevent a unified challenge to the institution of private property and the dominance of ruling-class ideology; and from this point of view, they don't necessarily create intolerance so much as capitalize on it when it suits their aims. James Madison was quite explicit about the usefulness of having competing factions within society to prevent a unified challenge to elite ruling-class hegemony (e.g., see Federalist No. 10). Politicians have utilized things like classism, racism, sexism, and xenophobia to institute policies favourable to themselves, their lobbying interests, and/or their personal inclinations for what seems like forever.

In addition to that, if we agree that the ideas of the ruling class are generally the prevailing ideas in society (since they're the ones who predominately control the means of mental production), their ideas will have a fair amount of influence throughout society. In this case, the ruling class itself has been relatively conservative when it comes to social issues, and this has not only been reflected in laws targeting same-sex couples, but to strong rhetoric in condemnation of same-sex relationships as well. This, I think, stems a great deal from the fact that the ruling class in this country has predominately been white, Christian males, and their religious beliefs have been incorporated into their ideology and vice versa. That doesn't mean, however, that regular people don't have the same prejudices, or that the ruling class is the sole creator of them. The relationship between the two is often more symbiotic than linear in this respect.

If you're interested in exploring this topic further, I suggest reading things like The German Ideology, A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy, and A People's History of the United States to get a better understanding of how ruling class-interests, by way of the ruling class's relative and/or direct control over the economic base of society (i.e., the means of production), helps to determine that society's cultural, legal, and political superstructures, including its justifying ideology. The first two give a more abstract and theoretic perspective, while the latter gives more in the way of examples from the context of US history.

JeffreyZero
  • Every generation seems to think society is going to the dogs. If that were true, the world would have ended by now. But in fact, by many measures, we've never had it so good as a society: People live longer. They are more educated. There's less violence. Our technology is incredible. We have more 'stuff'. But what hasn't changed - and never will - is that 'stuff' alone doesn't make you happy.
    @Jason, don't you think that in recent years that "pop-media" (for wont of a better term) and other factors have, to some extent, opened things up in regard to the power structure. Back in the 1970s, there were a couple of books that I remember reading -- "Who Owns America" and a followup that was something like "Who Runs America". I'm not sure that "old money" is in the driver's seat any more.

I stop and think what the big-money tried to do with this past election, and it is clear it didn't turn out they way they intended.
    RebeccaS
  • I agree that society is sick, and since we are on a destructive course I think we are heading for change some way or the other. I do not agree that society encourages us specifically to be brutal. I think most people are raised with the idea that love, friendship, caring, sharing, etc are very important. If I would call someone a brutal person, it is still considered an insult, not a neutral statement :-).
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    music said:

I'm a shrink and I don't expect my patients to adapt mindlessly to the society.
    Metallica said:

federica said:

Metallica said:

Nope, we can only change ourselves, but it helps when other people brings it up. One enemy can actually come up with the best advice against your faults.

Thats why we got eyes in the front, we always see other people's faults and forgive ourselves. Hence why if we are wise, we can many of other people's beef with us are genuine expressions of our short comings.

Anyway, your old as compared to me, doesn't that mean you had more time to practice your habits and attachments than me? Just because you have practice for a long time, doesn't mean you actually have the right understanding.

I'm not about to steer this off-topic, so let me just say personal remarks should be consigned to PM and not public display.
    The Biblical quote regarding specks in eyes and planks in your own, springs to mind.
    Quit preaching.

edited December 2012
    vinlyn said:

@Jason, don't you think that in recent years that "pop-media" (for wont of a better term) and other factors have, to some extent, opened things up in regard to the power structure. Back in the 1970s, there were a couple of books that I remember reading -- "Who Owns America" and a followup that was something like "Who Runs America". I'm not sure that "old money" is in the driver's seat any more.

I stop and think what the big-money tried to do with this past election, and it is clear it didn't turn out they way they intended.

Interesting question. I'd say in some ways yes, and in some ways no. In terms of social issues like gay-marriage, for example, I think popular media has definitely helped a great deal by pushing issues like this to the forefront of the discussion, opening it up in unprecedented ways, which in turn is changing public opinion and leading to changes in policy (e.g., the recent legalization of same-sex marriage via popular vote in Maine, Maryland, and Washington is evidence of this, I think).

In general, however, it seems to me that the structure of the system changes people more than people seem to change it. For example, despite popular media, Obama went into office championing transparency and praising government whistleblowers as "often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government," yet his administration has prosecuted more whistleblowers than any other president. Despite popular media, our civil rights are still being eroded away with the passage of things like the Patriot Act, the 2008 FISA Amendment Act, the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act (although the indefinite detention provision was recently amended making the 2013 version a little less harmful), etc. Despite popular media, money is still a driving force in the political process, a process that now allows unlimited campaign spending by corporations and other collective entities. And despite popular media, once in key positions, many in the system seem to become its staunchest defenders, and seem to increase the state's power regardless of the criticism it generates.

From that point of view, the power structure is relatively closed to average citizens. And that has absolutely nothing to do with 'old money'; it has to do with the disproportionate influence of monied interests period (capital, finance, old money, new money, etc.). That doesn't mean they're always successful in whatever they try to do (especially where their interests conflict amongst each other), or that they don't experience setbacks; but the structure itself is as ossified as ever, in my opinion.
    I guess I'd moderate your view somewhat, but you make good points.

And when I said "old money", I wasn't using that term properly. I wasn't meaning it in the traditional sense. I was remembering a time when, for example, companies that were defense contractors had much more influence than they have today (although they still have plenty of influence), as compared to people like Bill Gates who wields remarkable influence today.

I'm a great believer in representative politics, as compared to purer democracy. Themost democratic state (through all their petitions and proposals that are put on the ballot) is California. And what a mess it is. Here in Colorado, people moan and groan about two groups of notorious Americans who are among the state's most numerous newcomers -- Texans and Californians. At least in the case of Californians, if you ask them why they left California, it's most often because taxes and the cost of housing went up to the point they couldn't afford to live there...and that's directly related to their purer democracy.

But again, I think you make good points.
    RebeccaS
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    i think society is sick. avarice is praised and kindness is commonly viewed as a weakness. thats sickness, IMO.
    musicDaftChris
  • i think society is sick. avarice is praised and kindness is commonly viewed as a weakness. thats sickness, IMO.

Marx on money:
    http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/manuscripts/power.htm
  • i think society is sick. avarice is praised and kindness is commonly viewed as a weakness. thats sickness, IMO.

Who views kindness as a weakness? I don't know anyone like that. I'm wondering where this idea comes from. I'm not so sure avarice is praised, either. The 1% isn't very popular with "society" right now, and "society" voted against tax policy that would make the rich richer in the recent Presidential elections.

• Hmmm.... I don't like it but I have to agree with Beej. Obviously, this kind of thing doesn't apply to everyone, but there are plenty of people who view kindness as weakness or something to be taken advantage of, and avarice (which really isn't just about cash flow) is often praised and considered desirable.

That isn't my view of society as a whole, but the shoe definitely fits a portion of the population.

And can we (society) drop the whole 1% meme already? :lol: It's completely meaningless.
    Beej
  • RebeccaS said:

avarice (which really isn't just about cash flow) is often praised and considered desirable. .

I need an example in order to be able to understand this.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Dakini said:

i think society is sick. avarice is praised and kindness is commonly viewed as a weakness. thats sickness, IMO.

Who views kindness as a weakness? I don't know anyone like that. I'm wondering where this idea comes from. I'm not so sure avarice is praised, either. The 1% isn't very popular with "society" right now, and "society" voted against tax policy that would make the rich richer in the recent Presidential elections.

Ayn Rand!
    "America’s inner contradiction was the altruist-collectivist ethics. Altruism is incompatible with freedom, with capitalism and with individual rights. One cannot combine the pursuit of happiness with the moral status of a sacrificial animal."
    "[I]f your action had, in fact, been a moral duty, the student would have had a right to it; he would have had the right to demand it of you, to condemn you morally if you refused to do it, and to owe you no appreciation, no gratitude if you did do it. Duty, on the part of one man, implies a claim on the part of the other; thus (according to altruism) you owed your services to the student, but he owes you nothing thereafter—he has merely collected his rightful due. Wouldn’t a moral situation or a human relationship of this sort turn your stomach? It turns mine. And yet this would be pure altruism consistently applied. (Observe that this is the exact way it is applied in politics, on a grand scale: men are taxed to support the needy, yet the needy owe them nothing in return, not even gratitude or respect—nothing but insults, denunciations and further demands.)"
    I get Ayn Rand's point. Her story is that she grew up in Russia and saw the evils of communism. She praised capitalism in her writing and personal comments. And reading quotes like the ones above can be really helpful for getting into the mind of other like minded people (for example, many Republicans I know). But I still believe in a middle ground. The question I always have is... when is enough ENOUGH? Do you really need XX million with a lower tax %? When you're making that much, could you afford to live on a little less? Of course you could. But the problem is that people don't see those poorer than them as humans anymore. They only see those who abuse the system, the welfare junkies and all that. And if that's all you want to see, that is all you will see. I see people suffering. I don't have a lot, but I give when I can. I get Any Rand's point about not forcing people to give up what they've worked hard for, but I'm just disappointed in humanity that more people don't follow examples like those of Warren Buffet or Stephen King screaming, "Tax me more! I don't need this much!"
  • In altruism in Buddhism there is no giver, no gift, and no recipient. Thus this:
    if your action had, in fact, been a moral duty, the student would have had a right to it; he would have had the right to demand it of you, to condemn you morally if you refused to do it, and to owe you no appreciation, no gratitude if you did do it. Duty, on the part of one man, implies a claim on the part of the other; thus (according to altruism) you owed your services to the student, but he owes you nothing thereafter—he has merely collected his rightful due. Wouldn’t a moral situation or a human relationship of this sort turn your stomach? It turns mine. And yet this would be pure altruism consistently applied.
    is not the case. Each party wins because they know they are in a fight over a rotten piece of chewed meat (craving possessions) anyhow.
    zombiegirl
    Jeffrey said:

In altruism in Buddhism there is no giver, no gift, and no recipient. Thus this:

if your action had, in fact, been a moral duty, the student would have had a right to it; he would have had the right to demand it of you, to condemn you morally if you refused to do it, and to owe you no appreciation, no gratitude if you did do it. Duty, on the part of one man, implies a claim on the part of the other; thus (according to altruism) you owed your services to the student, but he owes you nothing thereafter—he has merely collected his rightful due. Wouldn’t a moral situation or a human relationship of this sort turn your stomach? It turns mine. And yet this would be pure altruism consistently applied.
    is not the case. Each party wins because they know they are in a fight over a rotten piece of chewed meat (craving possessions) anyhow.

It's not the Buddhist slant of it, but on the Christian side I've heard justification for altruism as, "You can't take it with you to Heaven."
    Jeffrey
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012

Ayn Rand!

"America’s inner contradiction was the altruist-collectivist ethics. Altruism is incompatible with freedom, with capitalism and with individual rights. One cannot combine the pursuit of happiness with the moral status of a sacrificial animal."
    OMG! Well, fortunately, she's literally history. Of course, it's nonsense that altruism and freedom are incompatible. Rand swung to the opposite extreme, after experiencing the worst of communism (it was pretty raw back in the earliest decades). I thought most people had forgotten her, but maybe she's staging a comeback, with the extreme conservatism that's been gaining ground.... :(

I guess my original point was: do any of us really know anyone who thinks this way (not counting parents, possibly--lol!), or is it more a projection of our minds, based on stereotypes, news articles about corporate greed, etc.? If we accept the corporate view of reality or "society", then we've given up. Think about all your friends and their friends. They don't hold these greed values, do they? And aren't they just as much a part of "society" as corporate CEO's? It's easy to focus on the negative, but if we discount the positive, then in a way we've given in to the negative--we've become part of the problem instead of the solution. If we buy into the inevitability of selfishness & greed, then greed has won.

Jeffrey
  • Rodrigo said:

music said:

I'm a shrink and I don't expect my patients to adapt mindlessly to the society.
    So am I, and neither do I. But we are battling against a firmly entrenched recieved opinion..
  • @Dakini
    A friend once told me that everyone wants to be a corporate CEO, and because they can't accomplish it they turn against corporate culture. Sour grapes and all that.
  • music said:

@Dakini
    A friend once told me that everyone wants to be a corporate CEO, and because they can't accomplish it they turn against corporate culture. Sour grapes and all that.

What do you think of that idea? It sounds awfully simplistic. Your friend sounds like s/he doesn't have much faith in people's ability to discern that corporations haven't been the best for public welfare, labor rights, the economy, etc.

• Dakini said:

music said:

@Dakini

What do you think of that idea? It sounds awfully simplistic. Your friend sounds like s/he doesn't have much faith in people's ability to discern that corporations haven't been the best for public welfare, labor rights, the economy, etc.

The point is not about corporations. It is about being against XYZ because one can't be XYZ. Sour grapes. People want to be rich and powerful. They fail. So they say, 'ah, who wants to be rich and powerful, after all? It is not worth it. It is good to abandon greed and be compassionate.' In short, making a virtue out of failure. As I said, sour grapes.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012
    music said:

The point is not about corporations. It is about being against XYZ because one can't be XYZ. Sour grapes. People want to be rich and powerful. They fail. So they say, 'ah, who wants to be rich and powerful, after all? It is not worth it. It is good to abandon greed and be compassionate.' In short, making a virtue out of failure. As I said, sour grapes.

Well, and my question was: do you really believe that? Your friend's theory presumes that we're all alike, and all want the same thing and have the same motives in life. There are other ways to be powerful, btw. The corporate world isn't the only venue. Charities and humanitarian organizations can be powerful. Teachers can be influential. There are so many options for making a mark in life and helping others. Scientific research. Law. The list goes on.

Oh well. :-/

• Dakini said:

music said:

Well, and my question was: do you really believe that? Your friend's theory presumes that we're all alike, and all want the same thing and have the same motives in life. There are other ways to be powerful, btw. The corporate world isn't the only venue. Charities and humanitarian organizations can be powerful. Teachers can be influential. There are so many options for making a mark in life and helping others. Scientific research. Law. The list goes on.

Oh well. :-/

He mentioned corporations as an example, and you keep obsessing over it. His point is that people are as greedy as corporate ceos or whoever, and those who aren't ... well, they're making a virtue out of failure. That's the point, not corporations per se.
  • How about greedy for compassion, equanimity and non attachment?
    Dakinilobster