Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

practice in daily life

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
I wonder if it ever occurs to anyone as it occurs to me ...

Many people seem wonderfully assured that they are having a very difficult time bringing a Buddhist practice into their everyday lives. What an awesome task, they will tell you. Kinder, gentler, less angry, more compassionate, at peace, more clear-eyed, using right speech at every turn, less depressed, less confused ... the laundry list seems endless and bringing the effort into everyday affairs is ... enormous beyond belief... no way will I ever get those ducks lined up; I am far too deluded and weak; I will never be as serene as all those people I can point to and say with assurance, "S/he is so peaceful or serene or -- the big banger -- enlightened."

But does it ever wonder anyone as it wonders me ... how about turning the equation around? Little or large, elevated or sunk in delusion -- is there any way you could NOT bring Buddhist practice into everyday life? All this twisting at the end of some hangman's noose, sweating and straining ... when without even breaking a sweat there is nothing anyone could do that would NOT be part and parcel of a Buddhist practice. Pissed off? Yup -- there's Buddhism in daily life. Delighted? Yup that's intrinsic to practice as well. Loving, envious, altruistic, egocentric ... will someone please tell he how this could NOT be Buddhism in daily life?

Of course it's idealistically fun to imagine that there is so far to go, so much energy to expend, so many mountains to cross, so many habits to break, so much purity to accrue, ... but where the rubber hits the road, is Buddhism no better than idealistic fun? How could anyone bring a Buddhist practice into a daily life already imbued with Buddhist practice?

Just noodling.
Invincible_summerStraight_ManBunkslobsterlamaramadingdongEvenThird

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    While I'm far fro the perfect person, I don't find that I have that much difficulty bringing the Dhamma into my daily life. If anything has been an issue, it's been understanding some of the finer philosophic points of Buddhism.
    Invincible_summer
  • Be a child of illusion post meditation. Vivid yet shifty awareness.
    (that's one of the lojong sayings)
    Abandon all hope of fruition
    (another lojong saying)
    EvenThird
  • edited October 2013
    We're all living our lives whether we know it or not.
    lobsterEvenThird