Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mara the evil one

there are five mara
1. skandha mara
2. klesha mara
3. maccu mara
4. devaputta mara

can anyone provide the missing one

thanks in advance

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Abhisankhāra Māra. He is the Karmic Force.

To clarify:

Skandha-Mara, or Mara as metaphor for the entirety of conditioned existence.

Klesa-Mara, or Mara as the embodiment of all unskillful emotions.

Maccu- (or Mrtyu-) Mara, or Mara as death, in the sense of the ceaseless round of birth and death.

Devaputta- (Devaputra-) Mara, or Mara the son of a deva (god), that is, Mara as an objectively existent being rather than as a metaphor.

EarthninjaupekkaCinorjer
  • THANKS federica

• I'm assuming you are asking if we, without a guick google, know the Mara that is left blank? Afraid all I know is the story of how Buddha wrestled with Mara as part of the process of defeating his defilements.

I'm lucky to know that much. The old monks were so hung up on their lists of "4 of these and 5 of them and 10 of those" as an aid to memorizing, weren't they?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Upekka already know the answer, he/she just want to know if we are doing our proper studying of the Buddha's teaching, hehe!

Earthninja
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Cinorjer said: I'm lucky to know that much. The old monks were so hung up on their lists of "4 of these and 5 of them and 10 of those" as an aid to memorizing, weren't they?

I've always struggled with those lists, I can only remember the first 3 things usually. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2015

@SpinyNorman said: I've always struggled with those lists, I can only remember the first 3 things usually.

I don't have any problem remembering the 8 and the 5.

However, implementation is a huge stumbling block.
    Yet they're so simple, really..... it's so silly.... anyone else have problems or is it just me....?

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2015

@seeker242 said:
    Upekka already know the answer, he/she just want to know if we are doing our proper studying of the Buddha's teaching, hehe!

really i forgot the 5th one and had been trying to bring it up (checking my memory) for two days and then it came into my mind why don't i ask from the forum members

federica did a grate help

last night during the meditation i thought over them with federicaa's clarification

if you are interested following are my understanding so far:

skandha mara can happen to Buddhas, Pacceka Buddhas and Arahants at their death (parinirvana)

klesha mara happens to Buddhas, pacceka Buddhas and Arahnts at their attainment of nirvana

maccu mara happens to all other beings at their death

devaputta mara is a powerful god lives in heaven (?)

abhsankahara mara happens to worldlings (pruthajjana) and when there is no mindfulness for those who got the Noble Right View (samma dhitti/sovan), that is why there is kamma vipaka

these clarification came during the meditation so i do not expect them to forget anymore

thank you federica again, you post did a grate help, thanks again

any comments welcome

• You couldn't remember and turned to us for help? @upekka, darling, did anyone explain what google is to you? As a writer, I use it constantly. Just recently I was writing a scene set in 1958 and had to know what songs were popular on the rock and roll radio station that year. Google to the rescue.

upekka
  • I think we ALL have that problem!
    It's not the knowing, it's the doing.

ShoshinCinorjer
  • @upekka said:
    there are five mara
    1. skandha mara
    2. klesha mara
    3. maccu mara
    4. devaputta mara

can anyone provide the missing one

thanks in advance

No but I can remove the other four:

:p

Walker
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited September 2015

@lobster said:
    :p

unfortunately you are surrendered to Abhisankara mara once again =)

Earthninjalobster